PDA

View Full Version : Conan, and more Conan

HauntWrigs
2013-09-05, 02:53 AM
Is there a large community of Conan players? If so, TSR or Mongoose?

Does the game appeal to Conan fans only, or is there something unique about the game that has broad appeal?

Rhynn
2013-09-05, 04:23 AM
Well, the various Conan RPGs are pretty distinct games, for a start; TSR's Conan is its own system and pretty hard to get now... Barbarians of Lemuria is, IIRC, a retroclone of it. There's also ZeFRS (http://www.midcoast.com/%7Ericekrwc/zefrs/). Mongoose's Conan is a d20 game.

I think the d20 Conan is one of the best d20 games (doesn't compare to Mutants & Masterminds, of course), and I think the setting and style would appeal to anyone who likes sword & sorcery and "low" fantasy. I can't speak much to the TSR game or the retroclones.

I'm not familiar with any Conan RPG communities.

HauntWrigs
2013-09-05, 09:42 AM
I'm not familiar with any Conan RPG communities.

Thank you for the information and the link. I like the Conan story and discovered the core rulebook at a local used bookstore. But I do not know anyone who has the same level of interest. With few exceptions, most of the gamers I know play Pathfinder. Perhaps there are some hiding under very large rocks!

satorian
2013-09-05, 10:09 AM
People who play Conan are likely going to be hard to find, as there aren't many. People who are willing to play Conan likely form a much larger cohort. Have a chat with some local gamers, or make a meetup, or something. D20 Conan, especially, is a well made game for people who want to play in a lower fantasy setting than 3.x implies. Also, it is easy to learn for PF players. Just offer to run a game, and I'm sure you'll get players.

thorr-kan
2013-09-05, 04:15 PM
There's also GURPS Conan, for sale through e23.sjgames.com.

There's also http://www.swordandsorcery.org/toolkit.asp for a d20 generic toolkit. In fact, the whole site might be resource for you.

HauntWrigs
2013-09-06, 01:01 PM
People who play Conan are likely going to be hard to find, as there aren't many. People who are willing to play Conan likely form a much larger cohort. Have a chat with some local gamers, or make a meetup, or something. D20 Conan, especially, is a well made game for people who want to play in a lower fantasy setting than 3.x implies. Also, it is easy to learn for PF players. Just offer to run a game, and I'm sure you'll get players.

Thanks for the encouragement. When you say D20 Conan, is that published by Mongoose?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see from a previous post that they are the same.

HauntWrigs
2013-09-06, 01:08 PM
There's also GURPS Conan, for sale through e23.sjgames.com.

There's also http://www.swordandsorcery.org/toolkit.asp for a d20 generic toolkit. In fact, the whole site might be resource for you.

Thank you--I haven't yet used a toolkit. And I think you are correct, the whole site looks to be valuable (at first glance, anyway).

Premier
2013-09-07, 07:18 PM
Well, the various Conan RPGs are pretty distinct games, for a start; TSR's Conan is its own system and pretty hard to get now... Barbarians of Lemuria is, IIRC, a retroclone of it.

No it isn't. Barbarians of Lemuria is a standalone, very rules-light game that is not a retroclone of anything. It would be suitable for Conan-style Sword & Sorcery, though.

Another system that was built specifically for that, and actually within the "thought-sphere" of old-school D&D-like games is Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea.

Amiria
2013-09-17, 01:38 PM
I was a bit active on the Conan D20 forum on the Mongoose Publishing message boards when they still had the license. I think I bought the 2nd edition rule book and a few other books about a year before the license expired.

On the Mongoose Publishing message boards the Conan D20 forum has been integrated into the Other Roleplaying Games forum and support for and interest in the game has waned there. Only a handful of the most hardcore fans remained and attempts to build an independent forum dedicated to Conan D20 elsewhere were not really successful.

My group currently doesn't play Conan D20 but we have three different groups of adventurers and one day they'll see action again. We currently play Call of Cthulhu (1920s) and AD&D (Planescape).

So I can't really say that there is an active community for the game anymore. :smallsigh: But I can recommend Conan D20. Barbarians of Lemuria should also be worthwhile, but I only took a short look at it some years ago.

Volcan
2013-11-01, 11:20 AM
im a thread necromancer wats this thread