PDA

View Full Version : Specialized monsters from the 8 schools

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 09:45 AM
Hey guys. I'm planning on running my first pathfinder campaign soon, and I've come across the desire to have a specific monster for each of the 8 schools of magic, one that may be more proficient in it's selected school than any other. Like lich for necromancy! If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them! I'm able to revive old versions of monsters, so they don't need to be pathfinder specific.
Every time I do a search for anything DnD related, these forums show up in my results so I figured this is the best community to ask!
Thanks in advance :)

TroubleBrewing
2013-09-05, 09:48 AM
Evocation is probably best done by an Elemental of some kind, Conjuration is a Demon or Devil, Enchantment is a Nymph... That's all I've got for now.

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 10:07 AM
Perfect, those look great for those schools. Nymph is going to be particularly fun to throw at my party, I think.

Roguenewb
2013-09-05, 10:12 AM
Golem for abjuration (immune to tons of stuff).

Wraith for necromancy? Any undead or negative energy thing really, but wraith is classic.

Elemental Wierd for divination (CR is high, like 18, but it fits flavorfully perfect)

Doppelganger Factotum for transmutation

Illusion is hard.

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 10:23 AM

Wraith for necromancy? Any undead or negative energy thing really, but wraith is classic.

Elemental Wierd for divination (CR is high, like 18, but it fits flavorfully perfect)

Illusion is hard.

The Elemental Weird is perfect, and the doppelganger works well too, thanks! I'll look into the golems, but if they don't have a particular affinity for using abjuration, they may not work for that particular use. But I do have uses for monsters that have resistances to magic so they're an amazing idea for other things ;)

zilonox
2013-09-05, 11:28 AM
For illusion, maybe a displacer beast (or pack lord, depending on CR you are looking for). The displacement spell in the PHB says it emulates the natural displacement of the beast and it is also an illusion spell...

Venger
2013-09-05, 11:52 AM

Illusion is hard.

specifically, I'd recommend a force golem. they're a lower cr than most other golems so can be encountered sooner. what level is your party, OP? that'll help me give more useful answers.

abj: force golem
conj: summoning ooze
div: no idea. I'm blanking on monsters that use div offensively
ench: vampire
evoc: conflagration ooze
illus:aboleth
necro: many options depending on your level
trans: zern

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 12:02 PM
specifically, I'd recommend a force golem. they're a lower cr than most other golems so can be encountered sooner. what level is your party, OP? that'll help me give more useful answers.

They will be starting at level 1. I can probably make adjustments on monsters for their CR but I'd like to keep that as close to original as possible :)

Venger
2013-09-05, 12:42 PM
They will be starting at level 1. I can probably make adjustments on monsters for their CR but I'd like to keep that as close to original as possible :)

ok. what level do you want them to fight these 8 specialty monsters?

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 12:50 PM
ok. what level do you want them to fight these 8 specialty monsters?

I plan on having them encounter school-specific dungeons throughout the campaign. The idea is 8 followers of a specific diety each stole a piece, effectively killing the diety and driving themselves insane in the process. The dungeons will start at the lowest feasible level, and progressively get more difficult as the story goes on. I can decide on the order once I have a decent list of monsters proficient in each school :)

subject42
2013-09-05, 12:58 PM
The invisible stalker is another possibility for the illusion school. Something that has a permanent, non-dispellable, non-suppressable version of one of the quintessential Illusion schools would probably do the trick.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-05, 01:03 PM
Abjuration should be a living dispel magic spell. It will strip the party of buffs and suppress magic items as it slams them to death.

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 01:11 PM
Abjuration should be a living dispel magic spell. It will strip the party of buffs and suppress magic items as it slams them to death.

That sounds ridiculously amazing and I might have to do that.

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 01:14 PM
For illusion, maybe a displacer beast (or pack lord, depending on CR you are looking for). The displacement spell in the PHB says it emulates the natural displacement of the beast and it is also an illusion spell...

Great suggestion, that monster looks hilariously fun! Thank you!

The invisible stalker is another possibility for the illusion school. Something that has a permanent, non-dispellable, non-suppressable version of one of the quintessential Illusion schools would probably do the trick.

Also an amazing suggestion!

This is going to be fun.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-05, 01:17 PM

I'm a fan of this.

Also a fan of using a living geas/quest for Enchantment.

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 01:20 PM
I'm a fan of this.

Also a fan of using a living geas/quest for Enchantment.

I was considering something that could use geas for Enchantment as well. I need to look into making living versions of spells though, I haven't encountered them before :)

vorpalkitten
2013-09-05, 01:21 PM
Warning - Suggestions are made for epic level play, or players with a death wish

Abjuration - A creature of living antimagic. Or Living Imprisonment *evil grin*

Conjuration - A living gateway to all the layers of the Abyss. At once.

Divination - David Xanatos Omniscient and Omnipresent orbs of light with a personal desire to end the world. A dread corrupter, offerer of power, a being of terrible revelations that IS everything. Basically if Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep had a kid, this Horror would be it.

Enchantment - Cult of Love. An impossibly beautiful and terrible being brings entire worlds under her rapture and seeks to convert all the multiverse to her vision of love and cultish harmony. Think Angel's Cult of Jasmine on steroids.

Evocation - SPIRAL POWER! Magic limits are shattered. Warring beings channel infinite power and mass, and the cosmos are set aflame as the universe crumbles. Admittedly it'd be an awesome way to go ;)

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 01:48 PM
Warning - Suggestions are made for epic level play, or players with a death wish

Abjuration - A creature of living antimagic. Or Living Imprisonment *evil grin*

Conjuration - A living gateway to all the layers of the Abyss. At once.

Divination - David Xanatos Omniscient and Omnipresent orbs of light with a personal desire to end the world. A dread corrupter, offerer of power, a being of terrible revelations that IS everything. Basically if Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep had a kid, this Horror would be it.

Enchantment - Cult of Love. An impossibly beautiful and terrible being brings entire worlds under her rapture and seeks to convert all the multiverse to her vision of love and cultish harmony. Think Angel's Cult of Jasmine on steroids.

Evocation - SPIRAL POWER! Magic limits are shattered. Warring beings channel infinite power and mass, and the cosmos are set aflame as the universe crumbles. Admittedly it'd be an awesome way to go ;)

I totally get the gargoyles reference ;)
I think, if they choose the "evil" route, I'll end it with your Spiral Power suggestion. That sounds immensely appropriate for this world I'm building.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-05, 02:06 PM
The best part of the living spell dispel magic is that it has DR 10/magic. The party has to avoid getting hit or else their magic weapons turn off. It could seriously be hard to kill unless the party thinks carefully.

The Viscount
2013-09-05, 06:51 PM
Bodak could be a decent representation of the necromancy school, though it is either a cruel or nearly harmless encounter, depending on whether your players prepare death ward.

Fyermind
2013-09-05, 07:18 PM
Beholders with changed eye rays. They can do really well for abjuration.

Venger
2013-09-05, 10:37 PM
Bodak could be a decent representation of the necromancy school, though it is either a cruel or nearly harmless encounter, depending on whether your players prepare death ward.

or... stay 35+ feet away from him. or manifest synesthete. or any number of things, really, bodaks are kind of a joke

Sivitri
2013-09-05, 10:41 PM

They don't necessarily have to be offensive, there may also be trials or tests, or alternate ways around "defeating" the monsters. Like asking nicely, maybe ;)

Eldan
2013-09-06, 05:41 AM
For an illusion/enchantment mix, my favourite is the Shadowweaver. It's originally from Planescape and a ton of fun there, but it has a shorter entry wit less fluff in the Fiend Folio.

It's a giant intelligent spider of pure shadows that spins illusionary nets that call people to them.

geonova
2013-09-06, 05:49 AM
for evocation i'd recommend the spellweaver, six arms that can cast a first level spell each, two arms for a 2nd level spell, so on, so forth until any spell of 6th level or higher requires all six arms. simultaneous casting is awesome, but the CR is a bit high

Jake
2013-09-06, 07:28 AM
If this is a theme you're running with from day one, you may need to homebrew up something for the first few adventures. The shallow end of the CR pool is pretty weak when it comes to magically-themed critters.

The-Mage-King
2013-09-06, 07:39 AM

... That describes the Necromancy school well, then.

Either cruel and unusual, or near harmless.

So, perfect fit!

Sivitri
2013-09-06, 08:14 AM
If this is a theme you're running with from day one, you may need to homebrew up something for the first few adventures. The shallow end of the CR pool is pretty weak when it comes to magically-themed critters.

I found some weak monsters that are simply attracted to magic, so I can use those for the first bit of their travels. I've got plans for other early encounters as well, and you're right, I can just adjust or create to suit my needs :)

Suggestions have been great, I love the spellweaver and shadowweaver ideas! My guys are going to love (or hate...) this!

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 09:09 AM
Trasmutation could be a stony werebeast of some kind. It would be a half living / half stone shapeshifter that would be VERY tough to kill. I would recommend using a werewolf or wereboar as the base and applying class levels to make it the correct CR.

Lord Haart
2013-09-06, 09:09 AM
Divination: no encounter at all. Empty room that might make them paranoid at first, but after inspecting it they'll realise that whoever lived there had long since packed his stuff and left with his hide intact. If they search well enough, they'll also discover that he left his part of McGuffin under the carpet.

The Viscount
2013-09-06, 10:31 AM
... That describes the Necromancy school well, then.

Either cruel and unusual, or near harmless.

So, perfect fit!

I laughed both long and hard. Well done, sir!

Occularon serves somewhat well as a divination monster, both with its actual abilities and its eye theme.

Venger
2013-09-06, 12:13 PM
I laughed both long and hard. Well done, sir!

Occularon serves somewhat well as a divination monster, both with its actual abilities and its eye theme.

Oh my god, ocularon is an absolutely brutal encounter. hope your pcs are good at remembering what kind of regeneration it has (silver and keen? what the hell?) or they're just going to piss it off instead of killing it.

Roguenewb
2013-09-06, 02:35 PM
Assuming you're willing to play around with CRs, I'd go with monsters that are emblematic of their schools, rather than just using the school's spells.

Abjuration: Golem of some kind, maybe Force, maybe even stone. They are highly resistant to normal effects, just like abjuration focuses on making you.

Conjuration: Summoning Ooze is an awesome idea. Do that. Do it all the time. Make sure to look up the different spell-likes offered by various summon monsters, so you can use the summoning ooze as a really wierd caster.

Divination: The only clear go to here is the Elemental Wierds, which are perfect if you can either wait till the end of the campaign, or tweak their power down. Natively they are CR 18, but they really do awesome divination mid and pre combat and act with the fore-sight of a good diviner.

Enchantment: Succubus is a classic, and a lot of fun. Played well, your players don't even know they are in a fight, just like a good enchanter. If the succubus knows whats up, they are pulled apart one at a time in a crowded inn using knowledge of exactly what they want in life, and all left scattered around the closets, dead as doornails. Perfect enchantment fight!

Evocation: Omnimental. All the elements, brought together, and ready to fight. Smash boom, just like an evoker.

Illusion: Still the hardest on this list, but someone said displacer beast, and thats not a bad idea. Especially if you narrate it well, it can be really hard to deal with one, and that fits the illusion feel of just struggling to get your hands around the problem. Make sure to place this encounter before true-seeing, or its a joke.

Necro: Wraith/Dread/Evolved Dread Wraith based on player level. A challenging encounter that can feel absolutely brutal, but can be bypassed if the players are prepared with death ward. Thats the general feel of necro "this sucks, if only I'd brought the right protection", and this monster hits that tone.

Trans: I suggested Doppelganger Factotum earlier, and I still kind of support the idea. Phasms also change shape, a nasty werebeast also fits.

kaminiwa
2013-09-06, 06:17 PM
Divination:
Hags, Seers, Oracles. Of those, hag is probably the only real "combat" encounter.

Retriever Demons have an at-will Discern Location; they're the only monster I can think of that casts high-level Divination spells.

If going custom, I'd suggest looking at the Psionic "Seer / Clairsentience" power list. It's included in the SRD, and has some very neat, flavorful powers with a different-but-similar feel to Divination.

Conjuration:
Summoning Ooze, no question.

Abjuration:
I loved the Dispel Magic Living Spell suggestion. I'd avoid having more than one Living Spell, though - it makes me wonder why they're not *all* Living Spells if I see multiples on the list :)

My alternate suggestion would be the Shield Guardian.

If you're doing something custom, I'd suggest taking some inspiration from the Prismatic series, as it's a very flavorful, rarely encountered aspect. Especially if it's something encountered throughout the campaign, where you can have them learn things like "the Blue Abjuration Beasts are only slain by Magic Missile." Produces a very unique encounter, and makes for a difficult puzzle until the PCs can reliably produce all seven required spells.

Sivitri
2013-09-06, 09:27 PM
Wow, this is going to be a great campaign, there's so many fun encounters I can dream up with all these suggestions. I'm excited to build these encounters :)

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-06, 09:35 PM
I suggest ghouls, ghasts, wights and slaughter wights (Libris Mortis) for necromancy. Also Libris Mortis has some very good feats for these undead to make them pretty lethal (+4 DC to paralyzing DC paired with ability focus makes getting hit by ghouls and ghasts pretty lethal. In addition some feats let wights keep the spells they drain off casters).

Also don't forget to send in spell stitched undead from CA. The undead minions need undead minions. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2013-09-06, 11:26 PM
Access homebrew directory in signature. Access "Thief King's Palace." Illusion get.

Rijan_Sai
2013-09-07, 10:24 PM
So, after re-reading the concept, I have a small suggestion:

Your plan is to have the players go through 8 dungeons, each with a boss keyed to one of the schools of magic, and each boss guarding a piece of "Lord McGuffin."

As such, each dungeon should (nay, almost MUST) contain a Widget. Each Widget should be thematicly appropriate to the dungeon/boss magic school, should be required (or at least extreamly useful) to defeat the boss, and MUST be required to complete the dungeon. They should also be somewhat useful (if in a more limited sense) in future dungoens, as well as overworld travel between them.

Also, there should be a "final" boss, keyed to the Universal school.

Why yes, I have been playing Legend of Zelda lately...why do you ask?

Sivitri
2013-09-11, 08:52 PM
So, after re-reading the concept, I have a small suggestion:

Your plan is to have the players go through 8 dungeons, each with a boss keyed to one of the schools of magic, and each boss guarding a piece of "Lord McGuffin."

As such, each dungeon should (nay, almost MUST) contain a Widget. Each Widget should be thematicly appropriate to the dungeon/boss magic school, should be required (or at least extreamly useful) to defeat the boss, and MUST be required to complete the dungeon. They should also be somewhat useful (if in a more limited sense) in future dungoens, as well as overworld travel between them.

Also, there should be a "final" boss, keyed to the Universal school.

Why yes, I have been playing Legend of Zelda lately...why do you ask?

Yes, either guarding a piece or *being* a piece ;)
I was planning on having something similar, it would be what initially drives them to the specific place of encounter(Which range from a manor house to a large city), but I've yet to decide what the Widgets will be, or how they come across them. These guys aren't going to have any idea that the dungeons are themed until they encounter them.
So much fun and attempted PC murder >:)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, they're helping me build this world!