PDA

View Full Version : Possessing summoned creatures?

Xenovore
2013-09-05, 09:57 AM
Summon Monster, Planar binding, Truename binding, planar ally and alike spells all have some sort of "negotiation" with it and a condition to when the creature summoned is allowed to leave.

How would this work if a summoned would possess the creature it summoned through the Fiend of Possession ability "Possess Creature"? Is this even possible? Could the FoP stop the summoned creature from leaving against its will?

Alleran
2013-09-05, 10:21 AM
By the RAW, I believe a summoned creature ceases to exist once the spell calling it ends. So unless there's something in the Fiend of Possession's rules (I don't have the book handy) that mentions being shunted back to your own body... I guess you'd just cease to exist along with the creature, maybe?

A called creature is fully present, so you could presumably occupy it until you choose to dismiss it, yes.

TuggyNE
2013-09-05, 06:33 PM
Summon Monster, Planar binding, Truename binding, planar ally and alike spells all have some sort of "negotiation" with it and a condition to when the creature summoned is allowed to leave.

How would this work if a summoned would possess the creature it summoned through the Fiend of Possession ability "Possess Creature"? Is this even possible? Could the FoP stop the summoned creature from leaving against its will?

Not even dimensional anchor or dimensional lock can manage this for summons, despite directly and unavoidably targeting the very mechanism that manages summoning: astral travel. So no, a mere "I controlz your mind!" isn't gonna cut it either.

Calling spells, however, as mentioned, should have no such problem.

Xenovore
2013-09-06, 02:15 AM
Thanks a bunch for the clearup guys. Here's my problem and what I wish to do:

I want to have a permanent Steel Predator (Fiend Folio) as "cohort" and possess it with the main character for use in fights. Our GM disallows the use of the Cohort feats itself but will allow summoned / created / called creatures.

I was pondering two options:
1. Create the beast through a combination of spells, for example:
a. Cast simulacrum to create the beast, then create the beast with Polymorph any object. (Not sure if this one works).
b. Call one through the Gate spell and ask it for continues service in in exchange for a big pile of tasty iron.

Any idea's on other legal ways to obtain one?

Ashtagon
2013-09-06, 02:19 AM
... Our GM disallows the use of the Cohort feats...

That right there is the problem. In terms of your GM intentions, he doesn't want you to have a permanent pet that isn't a class feature.

You're going to have to negotiate with your GM on this one to find ways that this would be acceptable. Because his intention is that it isn't, and if he has ruled out the obvious way to get this result, he'll probably rule out the non-obvious ones as well, once he is aware of them.

Xenovore
2013-09-06, 02:29 AM
That right there is the problem. In terms of your GM intentions, he doesn't want you to have a permanent pet that isn't a class feature.

You're going to have to negotiate with your GM on this one to find ways that this would be acceptable. Because his intention is that it isn't, and if he has ruled out the obvious way to get this result, he'll probably rule out the non-obvious ones as well, once he is aware of them.

It's not that he doesn't want us to have a pet. He just doesn't want us to have "upgraded" pets. I guess I'll have a talk with him seeing that it's only about his worry to get a battle-titan / half-vampire / Godzilla / Pixie / lizard-thing as a cohort. I doubt he'll disallow a basic unmodified steel predator at party level 19.

bekeleven
2013-09-06, 09:32 AM
I guess you'd just cease to exist along with the creature, maybe?

...Now, to build a psion and use this offensively...

Xenovore
2013-09-06, 09:53 AM
Well... it would only count for summoned creatures as called creatures do not "cease to exist" they return to their home plane or die when killed.