PDA

View Full Version : Wizard wonderings and ritual rhetoric.

Dr Mushroom
2013-09-05, 10:40 AM
Wizard
So, in 4e , wizards at first level get 2 dailies (or 3 if you have expanded spellbook). That's fine. And the PHB states that you get to prepare as many dailies as you can use per level. That's also fine. But what's tripping me up is this: "How many daily spells does a wizard get to use at first level and each subsequent level, bearing in mind this wizard has the expanded spellbook feat?"

Rituals
As far as I can tell, a ritual caster can use every first level ritual from the get go. If I am right, please confirm it. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Kurald Galain
2013-09-05, 10:44 AM
First, don't take expanded spellbook, it's a waste of a feat.

Second, you get to use exactly as many daily powers as everybody else, i.e. one at first level, two at fifth, three at ninth.

And third, a ritual caster needs to buy the rituals before he can use them, and only very few rituals are worth the investment at level one.

Dr Mushroom
2013-09-05, 11:13 AM
Ah. Thank you very much. I always wondered what the fuss over Tenser's Floating Disc was. Seems useless to me.

Kurald Galain
2013-09-05, 11:23 AM
Ah. Thank you very much. I always wondered what the fuss over Tenser's Floating Disc was. Seems useless to me.

It's fun and allows you to easily transport stuff. It's actually one of the best low-level rituals in the book, but that really says more about the other rituals :smallbiggrin:

Dr Mushroom
2013-09-05, 01:53 PM
Yeah, 4e nerfed the hell out of flight, teleportation and noncombat spells.

PS: Dear Moderators, the spell check on this site is broken as ****. Apparently "teleportation" is not a word.

Epinephrine
2013-09-05, 02:27 PM
PS: Dear Moderators, the spell check on this site is broken as ****. Apparently "teleportation" is not a word.

Might it be your browser's spell check?

Dr Mushroom
2013-09-05, 02:37 PM
That's entirely possible. My browser is definitely American, as all words that have alternate American spellings are flagged as misspellings. Eg: colour, armour, aluminium.

Akodo Makama
2013-09-05, 08:55 PM
That's entirely possible. My browser is definitely American, as all words that have alternate American spellings are flagged as misspellings. Eg: colour, armour, aluminium.

Web sites don't have spell-check, browsers do. (well, most and most, at least)
To change to English(uk) instead of English(us)

In Firefox: Tools->Options->Content(tab)->Languages(section)->Choose...
In Internet Explorer:Tools->Internet Options->General(tab)->Appearance(section)->Languages

Leolo
2013-09-06, 05:57 AM

There are much, much more usefull rituals at low levels.

Comrade's succor (switch healing surges with teammates), Traveler's camouflage (stealth bonus up to +10 out of combat - can easily grant you surprise rounds), last sight vision (good old "i know who did it"), Fools gold (Buy things at smaller price), eye of alarm (spares you 2 hours rest per night, is a better guard than your guards), Familar mount (fly speed at lvl 4 for 12 hours? Why not...couldn't hurt) to just call some of them. Or silent image...now without size limitation.

And there are much more that have a higher use as tenser's disk.

Frankly even if i look at "yeah, i could prepare an explosive runes trap with my ritual" transporting something with a magical disk just doesn't have the same appeal. And explosive runes is not even near of a top low level ritual as you could also buy some of such traps given you had time and the right shop before.

Re'ozul
2013-09-07, 01:16 PM
Tenser's floating disk is useful if your check allows it to transport your weight.
- Ignore Difficult terrain
- Move over water
- Depending on DM, protection from explosive traps below you
- Or simply no risk of triggering floor-based traps

Dr Mushroom
2013-09-07, 01:50 PM
I thought you couldn't ride on Tenser's floating disc, as you do not autonomously control it, but rather it floats behind at a distance of 6 squares.
I could be wrong, and I don't have access to the books to check right now.

Leolo
2013-09-07, 02:46 PM
You can ride on it RAW, but it does not really help. First moving over water don't work (no surface) and floor based traps are not the only traps. But more important: you could fly instead.