PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Cleric Build?

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 01:00 PM
I might be able to spontaneously join a PF game at a local con, and while this means I don't know anything yet about how the game will be set up (generation method, level etc), I'd already like to mentally prepare so I won't take hours for character creation.

One thing first, if we get a generous PB and the party composition allows it, I might try a Paladin, just to see how effective the PF Paladin is compared to the 3.5 default class. I already found a solid looking build compendium (Bodhi's), so if it comes to this I'll just use that.

But generally I tend to do Cleric if I join a game with an unknown GM, and in 3.5 it's one of my favourite classes anyway. However, all those 3.5 Cleric recipes that we've come to know and love don't work anymore in PF. No Devotion feats, no DMM, no Reserve feats, crippled metamagic, no Zen Archery outside Monk, not even frickin Heavy Armour. What is one to do?

All I know is that I'd want to play a Human Cleric, probably good-aligned. I know Rogue Eidolon's Domain Guide so I know which ones are decent to good; I just am not sure whether to skill for melee or ranged combat, and what feats to take in either case. Any input?

Karoht
2013-09-05, 03:13 PM
I might be able to spontaneously join a PF game at a local con, and while this means I don't know anything yet about how the game will be set up (generation method, level etc), I'd already like to mentally prepare so I won't take hours for character creation.

One thing first, if we get a generous PB and the party composition allows it, I might try a Paladin, just to see how effective the PF Paladin is compared to the 3.5 default class. I already found a solid looking build compendium (Bodhi's), so if it comes to this I'll just use that.

But generally I tend to do Cleric if I join a game with an unknown GM, and in 3.5 it's one of my favourite classes anyway. However, all those 3.5 Cleric recipes that we've come to know and love don't work anymore in PF. No Devotion feats, no DMM, no Reserve feats, crippled metamagic, no Zen Archery outside Monk, not even frickin Heavy Armour. What is one to do?

All I know is that I'd want to play a Human Cleric, probably good-aligned. I know Rogue Eidolon's Domain Guide so I know which ones are decent to good; I just am not sure whether to skill for melee or ranged combat, and what feats to take in either case. Any input?
Most of the Domain Powers are melee touch attacks. If you want to spec melee, get a Conductive weapon. For a free action, when you are about to hit something you can channel your class powers (IE-Lay on Hands, Domain powers, I think you can use Channels in this manner) and have it go off when the weapon hits. Much like a spellstoring weapon.

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/conductive

However, ranged weapons can be Conductive. So there is that. Your preference really.

IMO-I would only go melee if you plan on making use of some CMB based attack that combo's well with a certain domain power. Otherwise go ranged.

Also, Spiritual Weapon + Toppling Spell is awesome, if you survive that long.

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 03:15 PM
Ok thanks. After looking at things a bit, I think I would spec Ranged. Just have to figure out where to pick up Longbow prof without being shafted with bad domains.

Karoht
2013-09-05, 03:26 PM
Ok thanks. After looking at things a bit, I think I would spec Ranged. Just have to figure out where to pick up Longbow prof without being shafted with bad domains.Or do something crazy and get a gun. Only takes 1 feat. Amateur Gunslinger
http://www.pathfindersrd.com/feats/combat-feats/amateur-gunslinger-combat
Scatter shot weapons deal damage to everything in a pretty large cone. Also, it is very difficult for a scatter weapon to misfire. Very handy at low level.

Not a serious suggestion, but there it is.

Gnaeus
2013-09-05, 04:16 PM
Most of the Domain Powers are melee touch attacks. If you want to spec melee, get a Conductive weapon. For a free action, when you are about to hit something you can channel your class powers (IE-Lay on Hands, Domain powers, I think you can use Channels in this manner) and have it go off when the weapon hits. Much like a spellstoring weapon.

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/conductive

However, ranged weapons can be Conductive. So there is that. Your preference really.

IMO-I would only go melee if you plan on making use of some CMB based attack that combo's well with a certain domain power. Otherwise go ranged.

Just pointing out the lase sentence of Conductive mentions that you can only use magical abilities of same type as weapon, so you can't conduct a melee touch with a ranged weapon. There are still lots of other things you can do with it tho.

If, however, you are level 7+ and the alignment issue isn't written in stone, a conductive weapon on a Souleater is pretty awesome.

Karoht
2013-09-06, 10:50 AM
Just pointing out the lase sentence of Conductive mentions that you can only use magical abilities of same type as weapon, so you can't conduct a melee touch with a ranged weapon. There are still lots of other things you can do with it tho.

If, however, you are level 7+ and the alignment issue isn't written in stone, a conductive weapon on a Souleater is pretty awesome.Wow, good to know.
Okay, with this knowledge, if you want to make more use of your melee ranged domain powers, I recommend being ready to act in melee as well.