PDA

View Full Version : Better than Mithril?

Pentagon
2013-09-05, 02:46 PM
Hey all

Quick Question

Aside from Mithril is there anyway to further increase the maximum dexterity of an armour piece, above +2?

E.g when a character's dexterity increases past the mithril allowance is there anything they can do with augment crystals, is there a better material than mithril for this.

Any obscure material from sourcebooks great :D

Pentagon

Max Caysey
2013-09-05, 02:55 PM
Nimble or Nimbleness, cant remember which one it is!

3.0 Magic of Faerun
3.5 Magic Item Compendium

SciChronic
2013-09-05, 02:58 PM
at that point you stop using the metal armors... or armor at all, and start focusing on providing yourself concealment

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 03:00 PM
Celestial.

You need to reverse-engineer the property cost from the DMG Celestial Armour, however.

Edit:
to elaborate, according to my calculations the cost breaks down like this:

Celestial Armour: +3 Chainmail, Fly 1/day 5 mins, Price 22,400 gp
Properties like Mithral, but again +4 higher Dex allowance

+3 Enhancement: 9000GP
Fly 1/day: 5400GP
Mithral Properties (Medium): 4000GP

--> cost remaining: 4000GP

So there. Technically (and if you can convince your DM), you can buy any Medium armour as Celestial version for a markup of 4000GP beyond the Mithral version.

Now for Light or Heavy armours, I don't know. Maybe keep it a straight +4000GP, _or_ double the markup for Mithral. So a Celestial Full Plate would cost something like 22.000GP before enhancements. But for that, it would have +7 max Dex bonus (and count as Medium armour).

Segev
2013-09-05, 03:18 PM
It's possible that the flight property got some sort of ad hoc package discount, in which case the "Celestial" dex-bonus property could be as much as +5000 gp. If so, +5000 gp would be exactly what you'd expect a +1-equivalent property to add to the price of otherwise-+3 armor.

i.e., arguably, "Celestial" is a +1-equivalent bonus, not a flat 4000 gp. But it does require some assumptions that are not blatantly in evidence.

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't that be 7000GP, then?
(16K - 9K)

Segev
2013-09-05, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't that be 7000GP, then?
(16K - 9K)

...you're right. Ignore me. I've been inverting the one-off-from-10 math all day for some reason.

Pentagon
2013-09-05, 04:09 PM
Cheers guys, I appreciate the quick answers.

I'm slightly obsessive, in that it would annoy me if the armour wasn't the most efficient in this regards, even AC is irrelevant at this point ;)

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 04:14 PM
Well, efficient is what gives you the maximum total AC (without hampering your movement or other abilities).
For instance, said Celestial Brestplate has 5AC, +9 Dex, total 14.
You'd need a Dex of _40_ to make this armour inefficient.

AmberVael
2013-09-05, 04:16 PM
If your concern is just having armor on a high dexterity character, then might I suggest Twist Cloth from Races of Stone? It only grants +1 armor on the base level, but it has no armor check penalty or max dexterity bonus.

Technically it is Exotic Armor, but you can still use Twist Cloth without penalty if you're not proficient- having proficiency just makes it a bit cooler, by adding the armor bonus it provides to your Touch AC.

Blackhawk748
2013-09-05, 04:17 PM
Well there is always Tessellated Mithral Full Plate, not only is it full plate that is light armor but it has the added bonus of being able to put it a single action. I usually have it look like a swarm of scarabs swarms over me when i put it one, scares the crap out of people.

captain fubar
2013-09-05, 04:25 PM
Twist cloth or bracers of armor have no dex cap
a custom magic item (of greater) luminous armor (either continous or 8+ hour duration) would have no dex cap but couldn't be enchanted either.

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 04:40 PM
Well there is always Tessellated Mithral Full Plate, not only is it full plate that is light armor

Is that so, "always"? Where is that from? I mean, what source? And what is the cost?

AmberVael
2013-09-05, 04:47 PM
Is that so, "always"? Where is that from? I mean, what source? And what is the cost?

Tessellated Armor appears to be a unique set of +2 Full Plate from the Arms and Equipment Guide, on page 95. It counts as medium armor, has -4 armor check penalty, and 25% ACP. Also does hypnotic pattern once per day. It costs about 12,000 gold.

Of course, its max dexterity bonus is unchanged, so I don't see that it adds anything useful here. But I'm gonna keep it in mind for my pointless but entertaining "caster in full plate" shenanigans that I return to ever so often. :smalltongue:

Blackhawk748
2013-09-05, 05:10 PM
Of course, its max dexterity bonus is unchanged, so I don't see that it adds anything useful here. But I'm gonna keep it in mind for my pointless but entertaining "caster in full plate" shenanigans that I return to ever so often. :smalltongue:

Huh, i thought its max dex went up, well my bad, but its still not to bad when its made of mithril, also put the Twilight enhancement on it an lower the Spell Failure some more, ive done it once, it was so worth it.

Azoth
2013-09-05, 05:20 PM
There are also Shadowsilk armor and Nightscale armor. Both are exotic with 0ACP.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-05, 06:03 PM
I've actually been using a different breakdown for 'Celestial Metal'
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15000911&postcount=270
It costs about 1.3 times what mithral armor of that sort normally costs.
So 1300 for light, 5280 for medium, and11800 for heavy. A little more expensive than you've got, but the breakdown is done differently. For instance, I don't see how you get 5400 for fly.

Celestial.

You need to reverse-engineer the property cost from the DMG Celestial Armour, however.

Edit:
to elaborate, according to my calculations the cost breaks down like this:

Celestial Armour: +3 Chainmail, Fly 1/day 5 mins, Price 22,400 gp
Properties like Mithral, but again +4 higher Dex allowance

+3 Enhancement: 9000GP
Fly 1/day: 5400GP
Mithral Properties (Medium): 4000GP

--> cost remaining: 4000GP

So there. Technically (and if you can convince your DM), you can buy any Medium armour as Celestial version for a markup of 4000GP beyond the Mithral version.

Now for Light or Heavy armours, I don't know. Maybe keep it a straight +4000GP, _or_ double the markup for Mithral. So a Celestial Full Plate would cost something like 22.000GP before enhancements. But for that, it would have +7 max Dex bonus (and count as Medium armour).

Chronos
2013-09-05, 06:56 PM
There are also Shadowsilk armor and Nightscale armor. Both are exotic with 0ACP.Shadowsilk is a material, not a specific armor. Any cloth or leather armor type can be made from shadowsilk. You might be thinking of Gnomish Twistcloth made from shadowsilk, which would be a good combination.

Max Caysey
2013-09-05, 06:58 PM
Cheers guys, I appreciate the quick answers.

I'm slightly obsessive, in that it would annoy me if the armour wasn't the most efficient in this regards, even AC is irrelevant at this point ;)

Instead of armor, get Bracers of Armor. They work like armor, but have no max dex.

Psyren
2013-09-05, 07:01 PM
Instead of armor, get Bracers of Armor. They work like armor, but have no max dex.

You can even add armor properties to them

Platymus Pus
2013-09-05, 07:17 PM
Hey all

Quick Question

Aside from Mithril is there anyway to further increase the maximum dexterity of an armour piece, above +2?

E.g when a character's dexterity increases past the mithril allowance is there anything they can do with augment crystals, is there a better material than mithril for this.

Any obscure material from sourcebooks great :D

Pentagon
Fighter has armor training that reduces armor penalty by one and increases dex by +1 doesn't it?
That's one way to do it I believe.

Firechanter
2013-09-05, 08:17 PM
For instance, I don't see how you get 5400 for fly.

By the standard guidelines for magic item creation.

Command word Spell level x caster level x 1,800 gp
Charges per day Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)

So we have spell level 3, caster level 5, 1 charge per day,
15 * 1800 / 5 = 5400GP.

The Winged Shield is a ripoff. Its price includes a +50% markup for Uncustomary space limitation. 5400 x 1,5 is exactly 8100.

And get absurdly expensive at the higher bonus levels.