PDA

View Full Version : Dreamwolf's Wedding Knight IC

Dreamwolf
2013-09-05, 03:27 PM
You find yourselves on the road from the White Keep to Helmcrest, seat of the Blanetrees, and soon to be the location of a wedding between Silvie Blanetree and Kevan Grell, the heir to the Grell family holdings. When the invitation to the festivities arrived a little over a month ago, it was decided that Lord Dormin and Lady Nance would not attend, having other concerns that took priority, but that House Somerset should send some representatives in order to keep up appearances and avoid causing offense.

Thus it came to pass that you find yourselves making the two day journey to Helmcrest. You have been lucky, in that the weather is beautiful and the road is quiet. The river flows slowly to your east, and there is a gentle breeze that carries the promise of many more warm summer days to come. It is, in fact, so peaceful that many among you find yourselves relaxing and drifting into your own memories, recalling conversations that occurred shortly before you left the White Keep.
PM’d flashbacks should be arriving for each of you, but feel free to talk between characters here while we handle those flashbacks.

balian arcanine
2013-09-06, 12:56 PM
His remembrance of his most recent conversation has set Farwyk's gears turning. With his orders in mind, Farwyk asks his companions what they are most looking forward to at the wedding. From some he knows what response to expect, and its meaning; but others he must listen intently.

PalusAbel
2013-09-06, 08:09 PM
A breeze unsettled the lock of hair that Endon had so carefully hooked behind his ear. This was the third time it had come loose, and now it was time to give up on putting it back. The time he spent in Braavos fostered pride in the young dwarf's heart, and rumors of the braided Dothraki resonated with his renewed sense of self. His was not long enough to braid yet, but he had stopped cutting his hair ever since he began his training as a water dancer. In the back, it reached past his shoulders, but in the front it only reached his chin. Certainly when the ceremony came Endon would style his hair back with wax, but until then he could only tie what hair he could back in a ponytail and leave the rest of it to fall as it may. Farwyk's question snapped him out of a reverie. "The new faces, I think. I just returned from my travels abroad and already I am tired of you lot." Endon's grin dispelled any semblance of truth in his words. "Honestly, I am simply glad to be back in Westeros. I hardly had any time to unpack before I was informed about the wedding."

Lizard Lord
2013-09-06, 09:43 PM
Ferris tunes his fiddle as he examines the faces of the others out of the corner of his eye. The apprentice maester's question raises an eyebrow, but Ferris responds nonchalantly. "Why the chance to spread word of my skill and hear the cheering of a brand new crowd, of course. What is it you look forward to good maester?"

balian arcanine
2013-09-06, 11:32 PM
Oh, the simple elegance of laughter and life. And the chance to see young people in love. A precious thing love is. Full of opposites. Excitement and contentedness. Wonder and certainty. Peace and war. Restfulness and weariness. Joy and worry....
The Maester's voice trails off rendering his last few antithesis unintelligible.

After a few seconds Farwyk begins again. A gift from the seven the holy would have us believe. And I agree if its prompted and nurtured properly.

As he speaks, he gets a handful of carrots out of his saddle bags for each of his horses; getting thankful responses from both.

Dreamwolf
2013-09-07, 11:09 AM
The party rides on, led by Lukas, heir to the White Keep, and his younger brother, Endon, whose dwarfish stature is less noticeable while riding. With them are their sister, Brygit, their cousin, Ferris, the family’s ward, Melissa, and the house’s maester, Farwyk. The nobles are accompanied by a squadron of servants and guardsmen. Each of the male members of the family has a manservant, and Brygit is accompanied by Dona, a maid from the White Keep. There are several grooms to take care of the horses, and a footman, Nels, who is responsible for keeping track of the various small gifts sent along for the bride and groom, as well as their families.

The pleasant weather has lulled everyone into a state of ease, until the demanding voice of young Brygit makes its way to the front of the train. For Dona, this tone is all too familiar, and she knows even before her charge has finished speaking that she has set her heart on something forbidden.

It’s too warm for all this travel, Brygit begins, and I’m tired of being so uncomfortable. The river looks wonderfully refreshing. We should stop for an hour and have a swim. Without waiting for a reply, Brygit begins to guide her horse off the road and onto a trail that leads toward the river.

Time to test out the intrigue rules, assuming someone wants to put a stop to Brygit's plan.

vonpenguin
2013-09-07, 11:48 AM
Dona had mostly kept silent as the higher ranked house members chatted amongst themselves. She kept a fair distance from them, closer to the side of the road than the middle, near enough to Brygit in case she was needed but far enough that those beasts they were all riding couldn't touch her, thanking the seven the extra supplies and people meant she could get away with walking.

Then her Lady started talking about swimming. Speeding up to keep pace she tried to reason with the girl. "Wait M'lady." She called out, worrying her bottom lip as she tried to think of the best way to dissuade her.

Gonna try at least :). First I need to roll to see if I overcome my fear flaw for the encounter this turn. 1d6

Next is social initiative and I can't recall if consider (The action I plan to perform) requires a roll or gives the bonus straight off. Don't have my books handy this second Gonna wait to do that until I see if I passed though.

Dreamwolf
2013-09-07, 12:08 PM
Gonna try at least :). First I need to roll to see if I overcome my fear flaw for the encounter this turn. 1d6

Next is social initiative and I can't recall if consider (The action I plan to perform) requires a roll or gives the bonus straight off. Don't have my books handy this second Gonna wait to do that until I see if I passed though.

Your die roll didn't work. I think it was the extra space between the bracket and the 1.

And don't forget to define your Disposition.

balian arcanine
2013-09-07, 12:37 PM
Ser Lukas, the Maester begins, our party is expected at Helmcrest tomorrow evening. I am sure you know that your sister's desire to swim would not be an acceptable reason for tardiness to Lady Blanetree.
Farwyk's suggestion is accompanied by a look explaining that it is the young heir's responsibility to deal with this if Brygit's serving girl fails.

Dreamwolf
2013-09-07, 02:01 PM
declaring action: convince lukas to keep the party moving
preferably would use farwyk's persuasion (with convince)

I don't know that you need to start in intrigue with Lukas at this point. There's no disagreement/opposition as of yet.

vonpenguin
2013-09-07, 02:22 PM
Your die roll didn't work. I think it was the extra space between the bracket and the 1.

And don't forget to define your Disposition.

Sorry. My bad

Disposition would be friendly. Gonna roll initiative now to save time. First roll is if I don't overcome my fear, second for if I do.

[roll]2d6k1
[roll1]

Lizard Lord
2013-09-07, 11:03 PM
Ferris strums a few cords on his lute to grab his young cousin's attention. "Well sweet that does sound refreshing, but alas I must continue on the road. My Lord Uncle ordered me to play for this wedding, and my father would have my head if he thought I delayed in my duties. It is simply a pity you would not be able to hear my new song, I thought I would base on that story your mother loves telling you."

I don't have the rules on this computer. How does intrigue start again?

Dreamwolf
2013-09-08, 11:50 AM
I don't have the rules on this computer. How does intrigue start again?

You identify your starting disposition, which is basically your attitude toward your cousin, Brygit, (Affectionate, Friendly, Amiable, Indifferent, Dislike, Unfriendly, Malicious), and then we roll initiative, which is done with a Status test, using bonus dice for Reputation. After that, we'll start intrigue rounds, where those involved use various persuasive or deceptive techniques to try to convince your headstrong cousin to stay on course.

Dreamwolf
2013-09-08, 11:55 AM
Brygit pauses for a moment, called back by both Dona and Ferris, but it is clear she still intends to ride toward the river.
So Dona and Ferris are stepping in to dissuade Brygit (not a very intense intrigue, I know, but I figured it would be a good way to give the system a test-drive.

so now we need Status tests from those three participants, sorry, VP, your first roll didn't take, and that's the one we need since you didn't roll the out of your fear.

Brygit's Initiative: [roll0]

PalusAbel
2013-09-08, 10:18 PM
Endon rubs his chin thoughtfully. As nice as a quick dip would be, it is not as though the group is far enough ahead of schedule to justify such a detour. He eyes his traveling companions, ready to speak his mind if called upon.

Well, this isn't really Endon's forte, but the stakes are low enough that it should be okay.
Disposition: Friendly
Status Roll for Initiative: [roll0]

Dreamwolf
2013-09-10, 10:42 AM
Brygit looks wistfully at Ferris' fiddle, clearly considering how much she would enjoy hearing the new song, but she doesn't turn away. Oh, don't worry, Cousin, she calls out with a warm, innocent smile. You all are moving so slowly, I'm sure I can catch up. Just leave me a couple of guards so you don't worry, and practice your song once or twice so that it's ready for me to hear. I know it will be wonderful.

Ferris rolls Persuasion (Bargain) with a +3 modifier for Friendly disposition, and a +2 modifier for rp/dialogue, add to his result of 15 that gives him a total of 20, and three degrees of success. Since it was Bargain, his influence is determined by his Cunning (4), times 3, is 12. However, Brygit's disposition gives her some DR on that, and she is still unconvinced.

Brygit works on Ferris, rolling an 15, +5 for modifiers, gives her a 20 (not bad for a 12-year-old). That will be three degrees for her, as well, doing 9 Influence, and Ferris has 2DR for Friendly disposition, meaning he takes 7 influence to his Composure, correct?

Now Endon can roll an Awareness (Empathy) test to read Brygit (or attempt to Assist Ferris with a Persuasion roll), and Dona Considers for +2B on her next test.

PalusAbel
2013-09-10, 11:33 AM
Endon frowns. Brygit's priorities were sorely misplaced. She spoke to her cousin, more than twice her elder, treating him with as much respect as she might show a troublesome servant. Endon suspects that there might be some underlying tension causing her behavior, and so he keeps quiet a while longer to get a better read on her motives.

Roll for Read Target action:
Awareness 4: [roll0]
I assume that Brygit's Deception is 2, meaning that the passive result I need to beat is 8.

Dreamwolf
2013-09-10, 12:40 PM
Endon is used to Brygit's targeted sweetness by now, and easily recognizes that she sees an opportunity to stray from her usually perfect behavior. Lady Nance doesn't put up with much in the way of lighthearted pursuits by her daughter, but Brygit has always been quick to seize on opportunities for them when out from under her mother's reins.

What? You don't think your little sister has any skill at deception? Regardless, you succeeded on reading her, which reveals her disposition (Friendly), and her technique (unsurprisingly to those who know her, Charm). You also get +1D to all Persuasion and Deception tests in this intrigue.

Dreamwolf
2013-09-10, 01:14 PM
Dona hesitates, seeking the best approach to use to guide Brygit back to the road to Helmcrest.
Consider is automatic. That brings us back to Ferris for round 2.

Lizard Lord
2013-09-10, 02:49 PM
"Very well Brygit. If you think you can resist the siren call of my fiddle then you are welcome to try."

Ferris rides his horse on a slow trot as he plays an inciting song on his fiddle.

Disposition friendly, using a charm action. [roll0]

Dreamwolf
2013-09-11, 03:31 PM
With a gentle pout, Brygit turns her horse back to the road and follows along. You know me too well, Cousin, she says, smiling at Ferris. I never could resist a good song. Luckily, the we'll be following the river for another few hours. Maybe we'll find an even better place for a swim a little further along.

And our first intrigue victory for Ferris and his magic fiddle. :smallcool:

As a result of defeating her with the charm technique, you have improved her disposition toward you by a step, and you get +1D to all Deception and Persuasion tests the next time you are engaged in an intrigue against poor, dear Brygit.

For future reference, make sure your dialogue and actions fit the technique. If it's well done (as in your initial bargain action), you will get a bonus. If it's not really a good fit, I'll give you a negative modifier on your roll. I want to keep you honest, so you don't just keep using the one technique that you have all of your bonus dice in, even if what you're actually trying to do doesn't fit that technique.

Bottom line, though, is that you have saved the day, and Brygit is back where she should be.

vonpenguin
2013-09-11, 04:46 PM
Relieved that her charge did not insist on doing something foolish... and that her relatives had more sense. Dona breathes a sigh of relief and gives a thankful nod to Ferris as the group continues walking.

Star_In_a_Sky
2013-09-11, 07:20 PM
Melissa sat astride her russet rounsey, all half-plate armour, midnight hair, and easy attention. She listened to everything, and wondered why she hadn't spent more time in their company. Eyes like quartz shone open mirth at the skittish maid that followed Lady Brygit as faithfully as any shadow. She grinned roguishly and seemed a second away from comment, until the maester swiftly spoke sense to the House heir, as it befit his future to do. As she was less obligated to do. Her smile faded. It took a scholar or a halfwit to argue with a man of the citadel, her father had once said. She stayed quiet, ever watchful of what occurred, having completely stopped her horse's gentle trod just to observe the spectacle.

It had all come down to the singer. He played a fiddle wonderfully, and despite herself, she was curious if his tongue was half so sweet. Exactly the kind of thought she would never act on. A gentle squeeze of the thighs and her horse was willed back into a lazy walk. Melissa ran the entire scene through her head once more, of the brother that loved his little sister overmuch so that he couldn't bring himself to condemn her; of the other that was such a stranger that he hadn't been sure how best to respond to Brygit. It had taken a singer that would soon be distracted with work and whimsy to put an end to it. An impromptu mummer's farce for all their column to see. A raised hand covered her mouth, as though to stem the flow of inappropriate laughter. She tittered anyway.

“New faces and hopeful love and haunting song are all noble, to be sure,” Melissa began amiably. “But weighed against it, I'm still most looking forward to what they make of House Sommerset.”

:smallwink:

Lizard Lord
2013-09-11, 11:35 PM
Ferris smiles at the armored women when she failed to stifle a laugh. "Did you like the song my lady? I am certain I can give you a private show later." He adds a wink to emphasize his point.

I thought I did role play it as a charm action. :smallconfused:

I was trying to charm and entice into following with my music.

Star_In_a_Sky
2013-09-12, 03:48 PM
“A private show,” Melissa repeated with disapproval half-feigned, half faithful. A tsk. “Just what sort of lady attends these private showings, hmm?” She kept the singer just barely in the corner of sight, seemingly more concerned with the riders ahead than any answer he might offer.

Lizard Lord
2013-09-12, 10:36 PM
"Beautiful ladies, ideally." Ferris laughed playfully. "The offer is always open."

Star_In_a_Sky
2013-09-13, 02:51 PM
Melissa smirked at the compliment. “One should keep options open,” she agreed airily, sounding as pledged as a mercenary. There was nary a Lady in Westros that would accept, let alone around so many, for fear of what harm it would cause family and esteem, for love of both. Exactly so for herself. But then, fewer still would wear armour. Her mind leaned back to the warning she had received before leaving, and she doubted the odd bold flirt was the worst her outlandish raiment would invite. She was like as not to discover just how much bile infamy could buy her. The only way to temper it would be to know who she would be speaking with, and how she might appeal to them. A frown had formed before she realized it, a pout formed of full lips.

“How much do we know of the Blanetrees?” she suddenly asked everyone and no one. “Motto, heraldry, nobility. Surely we know something.”

Her full attention was on the singer then. He had been hand-picked for his talent, and gave it over to gifting the betrothed an entirely new song. She hoped some of that inspiration had been coxed from the truth.

I know we haven't been given that kind of info, so feel free to answer however fits your style(s). Even better if Brygit or Farwyk offer real info.

Dreamwolf
2013-09-13, 07:59 PM
As conversation continues, the travelers make their way along the road. The day remains mild and quite pleasant, and they see few others along the way.

The beauty of the day is entrancing, and many find themselves contemplating the few clouds that drift lazily across the sky, or of the birds that skim the waters of the river.

At one point they spy a small fishing boat on the river, but on the far side and well out of hearing across the water. A careful observer might note that there are two men on the boat, struggling with a single rod. Eventually, they raise an incredibly large fish from the water, raising it into the boat.

As night nears, it becomes clear that the travelers will have a choice to make. There is no in nearby, but there is a farmhouse not far from the road. It is definitely possible to travel to the farmhouse and seek shelter for the night. The other option is to remain on the road and find a sight to set up camp.
As for knowledge of the Blanetrees:
Lukas and Endon both know the family at least in passing, as they are relative neighbors. It is a very minor house. Lord Gerard and Lady Ella Blanetree have two daughters, Silvie and Eilene. They have lost two sons over the last decade or so.
Farwyk spends some time looking at his volume of the heraldry of the houses of Westeros and is able to locate the Blanetrees. He sees that their arms are brown and green maple leaves strewn on a field of yellow, and that their words are "We Shall Return"
Dona is unable to gather information while on the road. She may have more success upon arrival at Helmcrest (or in the nearby village).

balian arcanine
2013-09-15, 04:04 PM
After sizing up the situation, Farwyk rides up to Endon and quietly suggests, Endon, what say we ride to the farmhouse and request a room for your dear sister and her servant for the night. The rest of us can sleep where we may. Your sister is a young lady and needs to be treated as such.

PalusAbel
2013-09-15, 07:57 PM
"As convenient as that might be, my dear Farwyk, we cannot ensure her compliance," Endon replied wearily. "If she were to steal off into the night and disappear, that would be quite a loss. No, friend, we must keep her with us and hope she maintains at least a facade of decorum." He looks around at the entourage and wonders if any could be spared to keep Brygit company, and decides that there are not. "It would be a different story if we had a number of men to keep watch on her, but, alas, she must ride on as we all must."

balian arcanine
2013-09-15, 09:49 PM
His advice taken and heeded; the decision made; Farwyk nods his head in deference. As you believe best. Let us find a good spot on the road and make camp. Due to the circumstances, I can take a turn at watch tonight if you desire.