PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Whats the best melee weapon for a druid?

Ketiara
2013-09-05, 03:42 PM
Is it the quarterstaff or are there some special material that allows you to use another weapon type?

Lets make two scenarios one what fits the druide weapon profiency and one with Martial weapons although it gives -4 to hit.

Edit: all 3.5 published books allowed

Zanos
2013-09-05, 03:46 PM
The natural weapons of whatever they're wildshaped into at the time.

That said, Druids are proficient with scimitars, which has the most solid base stats of any of their weapons.

Lostbutseeking
2013-09-05, 03:46 PM
Druids are not restricted to using non metallic weapons, that only applies to armor and shields.

Equinox
2013-09-05, 03:48 PM
A sickle can be used to make trip attacks. A scimitar has a good crit range. Those are basically your options before level 5. After that, just wildshape into whatever.

Ketiara
2013-09-05, 03:54 PM
Ahh cant belive I never noticed that!! The reason I want to know is because I want to use a form with hands (perhaps if I go planar Shepard I would change into an outsider and chop something up melee) -yes I know it's unoptimal.

But what if you consider brambles would that make the quarterstaff better than scimitar?

Saidoro
2013-09-05, 04:00 PM
Being a tyrannosaurus.

Failing that, quarterstaffs or clubs are best if you are able to pre-buff with things like shillelagh and greater mighty wallop, scimitar is best if you aren't.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-05, 04:01 PM
You can make a scimitar out of bronzewood and use Brambles on it. A quarterstaff has the advantage that you can enchant both ends and get all the benefits of wielding it two handed while still getting the benefits of wielding two enchanted weapons. It's also free while a Bronzewood scimitar costs 2315gp.

Ketiara
2013-09-05, 04:43 PM
You can make a scimitar out of bronzewood and use Brambles on it. A quarterstaff has the advantage that you can enchant both ends and get all the benefits of wielding it two handed while still getting the benefits of wielding two enchanted weapons. It's also free while a Bronzewood scimitar costs 2315gp.

Emphasis mine.

What do you mean? How can I get the benefit of both enchants if I use the staff as a two handed weapon?

Lostbutseeking
2013-09-05, 04:57 PM
Emphasis mine.

What do you mean? How can I get the benefit of both enchants if I use the staff as a two handed weapon?

You put a utility enchant on the end you don't actually hit people with. Warning or Eager for example.

Piggy Knowles
2013-09-05, 05:46 PM
I'd say quarterstaff is probably the best, because of Spikes/Brambles, Shillelagh and Entangling Staff. Even with wild shape, if I plan to go melee, I like to go Legendary Ape and fight with a staff (and Power Attack, of course).

Bronzewood scimitar is nice, and can get Spikes/Brambles, but can't get Shillelagh or Entangling Staff.

eggynack
2013-09-05, 05:54 PM
Ahh cant belive I never noticed that!! The reason I want to know is because I want to use a form with hands (perhaps if I go planar Shepard I would change into an outsider and chop something up melee) -yes I know it's unoptimal.

I just thought I'd point out Fangshields Druid substitution levels from Champions of Valor page 40. You can only take them on a non-humanoid, and the fifth level ability lets you manifest hands in a wild shape. By my reckoning, the best non-humanoid druid races are anthropomorphic bat from Savage Species page 215, and jermalaine from MM II page 131. You may need the update from hereabouts (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) to make it work out as a playable race. The other substitution levels are pretty decent too.

Philistine
2013-09-05, 06:33 PM
Q: Whats the best melee weapon for a druid?

A: His bear hands.

nedz
2013-09-05, 07:30 PM
I'd say quarterstaff is probably the best, because of Spikes/Brambles, Shillelagh and Entangling Staff.

this, also you can use it to TWF or THF as you prefer.

HunterOfJello
2013-09-05, 07:36 PM
Being a tyrannosaurus.

This.

Real druids spend all of their time as T-Rexs and always take Improved Natural Attack (Claws).

~~~~~

But no, in all honesty the best weapon for a druid is a quarterstaff because of one simple spell: Spellstaff.

eggynack
2013-09-05, 07:43 PM
This.

Real druids spend all of their time as T-Rexs and always take Improved Natural Attack (Claws).
Eh, meleeing out as a druid is a bit overrated, especially if you're taking feats for the purpose. Besides, a tyrannosaurus has 18 HD, so you have to be level 18 to enter that form. By that point, it's dire tortoise all the way, pretty much no matter what. That form is ridiculous. For a groundbound melee form, I'd just stick with the fleshraker. Those guys have enough AC that you don't really have to augment it at all, and a great attack routine. I'm partial to something like desmodu hunting bats over slashing stuff in the face though. As I so often say, if you're using your druid actions to emulate a fighter, something has gone wrong. Don't get me wrong, becoming a dinosaur and eating enemies is sometimes a perfectly valid move, but I wouldn't make it my default, and I certainly wouldn't invest long term resources in the plan.

geekintheground
2013-09-05, 08:16 PM
a sizing quarterstaff. put it down, wildshape into something with hands, pick it up, usual shenanigans.

Ketiara
2013-09-06, 01:31 AM
My plan is to use trulani outsider and ill get it at level 14 due to the wildshape amulet. My build will be druid5/planar Shepard9

I think I'll use the quarterstaff as a twohander buffed with brambles and shillage.

Seeing as I've been allowed to play PS. I'll play it medium op so melee power for me, and buffage to the rest of the groupe.

Edit: and I'll check out the sizing enchantment if you can guide me to it.

Gwendol
2013-09-06, 02:24 AM
The flame blade is quite rad.

Vaz
2013-09-06, 03:59 AM
Aberrant/Dragon/Plant Shape into many natural attacls, FellDrain produce flame spellflowe

Ketiara
2013-09-06, 04:53 AM
Aberrant/Dragon/Plant Shape into many natural attacls, FellDrain produce flame spellflowe

Yea... Love felldrain but if I use that ^ move, the dm will throw books at me, kill me off and block alot of books for me.

My plan is for my druid5/ps9+ with wildshape amulet (+4hd on wildshape) to ws into a trulani (HD 18, outsider) this guy has alot of na str, dex and con along with nice sla.
Ill persist brambles and shillage or something, then at battle start ill time stop and buff the party, and bite of the wearbear for me, and go to town with my staff. Stats at this point: AC: 36+7+wildarmor, att 25/20 + weap enchantment bonus, and this is just the first bonuses i can come up with, but at this point its already pretty high op compared to the others... So im pushing it as it is at this point.

As for dinosaurs ... Theres none in this campaign I'm afraid.

ArcturusV
2013-09-06, 05:11 AM
I prefer the club to the staff myself. Can still enchant it up like a staff. It's free. It does the same damage. And if you REALLY need to for some reason, you can chuck it for a druid powered short ranged attack. The quarterstaff doesn't give you much that the club doesn't unless you're going TWF.

Course you might end up a staff fighter anyway if your staff happens to be an appropriate magic item. But if I'm starting at level one I'd just take the club and call it good.

Ketiara
2013-09-06, 06:33 AM

What two enchantments would you place on your staff? I see how this can be very powerfull. As this is a very evil vs good campain, im thinking that id have a sacred (M42) on one end and perhaps warning (M46) on the other end.

prufock
2013-09-06, 06:39 AM
Q: Whats the best melee weapon for a druid?

A: His bear hands.

You deserve a thumbs-up for this!

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-06, 07:06 AM
What two enchantments would you place on your staff? I see how this can be very powerfull. As this is a very evil vs good campain, im thinking that id have a sacred (M42) on one end and perhaps warning (M46) on the other end.

Defending, Warning, Eager and Spellstrike are good enhancements for the "passive" side. Rusting is also very useful for utility. On the "active" side that you use for combat you put stuff like Sacred, Holy and Illusion Bane.
A quarterstaff also has room for two wand chambers.
You can take it even further if you get an elvencraft longbow instead and enchant the bow and both sides of the quarterstaff and wear two enchanted gauntlets for 5 weapons full of enhancements.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 07:13 AM
Well, as a druid I like undead bane as they can be nasty and are generally weak to bashing damage. Sizing is a must, so it adapts to your form. Another route to go is sweeping, then snag improved trip and use that big size to lock down a target.

For the defensive end, I like warning, and maybe smoking. Defensive is also nice if you have greater magic weapon coming from a party member.

Chronos
2013-09-06, 10:06 AM
You can make a case that Shillelagh can also work on a greatclub, which gets you the two-handed goodness.

Vaz
2013-09-06, 10:30 AM
Load up on Spellblades on the passive end, and have a Wand Chamber installed (of Heroics, is my favourite).

Also, Aptitude, Sizing, Moving, Skillful works decently.

Chronos
2013-09-06, 11:06 AM
How does a druid use a wand of Heroics?

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 11:22 AM
Cross class UMD. Doesn't everyone take that anyway?

Fax Celestis
2013-09-06, 11:25 AM
The flame blade is quite rad.

Flame blade is my go-to for melee as druid too. Acts like a scimitar, but it touch attacks. Om nom nom, delishus touch attacks.

Rebel7284
2013-09-06, 11:31 AM
How does a druid use a wand of Heroics?

Contemplative dip to snag up magic domain?

Or more realistically, putting a couple of points into charisma and then UMD.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-06, 11:32 AM
Flame blade is my go-to for melee as druid too. Acts like a scimitar, but it touch attacks. Om nom nom, delishus touch attacks.

If you're going to go that route at least use Scimitar of Sand. The damage still sucks but at least it dehydrates.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 11:35 AM
No, you see you fell weaken it to debuff everything you hit in melee and share it with your animal companion to provide it with iterative attacks.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-06, 11:36 AM
If you're going to go that route at least use Scimitar of Sand. The damage still sucks but at least it dehydrates.

No, you're missing the point. You don't have to hold on to it--it just emanates from your hand. You can wield it while wildshaped. Pounce forward, get your full attack routine with touch attacks, add on your natural attacks as your secondaries. With multiattack, your routine ends up like flame blade/flame blade/flame blade/claw/claw/claw/bite/rend.

No, you see you fell weaken it to debuff everything you hit in melee and share it with your animal companion to provide it with iterative attacks.

And that. Flame blade is hilarious for metamagic.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-06, 11:41 AM
The point is that Scimitar of Sand is identical to Flame Blade only it does untyped damage instead of fire damage and every hit is fort save or dehydrated. The only advantage Flame Blade has is that it does 1d8 + CL/2 damage instead of 1d6 + CL/2.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 01:01 PM
Yes, but by offering a save it then becomes save or dehydrated and str penalty with fell drain rather than just strength penalty no save. The fell powers work a little funny, but are best applied to spells that offer no save even for a partial effect.

Gwendol
2013-09-06, 01:25 PM
No, you're missing the point. You don't have to hold on to it--it just emanates from your hand. You can wield it while wildshaped.

And that. Flame blade is hilarious for metamagic.

Exactly! And in human form you can go under the name "old Ben Kenobi"!

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-06, 01:42 PM
Yes, but by offering a save it then becomes save or dehydrated and str penalty with fell drain rather than just strength penalty no save. The fell powers work a little funny, but are best applied to spells that offer no save even for a partial effect.

Where do you get that? According to Fell Drains description any living creature that is damaged gains a negative level. There is no difference between a FD spell that has a save and one that does not.

Chronos
2013-09-06, 02:00 PM
You can't share Flame Blade with your animal companion, since it's an effect spell, not a targeted spell.

Ketiara
2013-09-06, 02:07 PM
Defending, Warning, Eager and Spellstrike are good enhancements for the "passive" side. Rusting is also very useful for utility. On the "active" side that you use for combat you put stuff like Sacred, Holy and Illusion Bane.
A quarterstaff also has room for two wand chambers.
You can take it even further if you get an elvencraft longbow instead and enchant the bow and both sides of the quarterstaff and wear two enchanted gauntlets for 5 weapons full of enhancements.

ok so how would you do the pricing on such a weapon? (im not very good at that stuff. (keep in mind im lvl 14)

and I still cant find the sizing ability can anyone give me a link?

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-06, 02:12 PM
I appear to be mistaken. The fell feats apply if the target fails it's save or not.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-06, 02:25 PM
ok so how would you do the pricing on such a weapon? (im not very good at that stuff. (keep in mind im lvl 14)

and I still cant find the sizing ability can anyone give me a link?

You add up the cost as if you had two seperate weapons. So a +1 Defending Warning /+1 Sacred Quarterstaff would cost 0gp (Quarterstaff) + 600gp (2x Masterwork cost) + 18000gp (+3 weapon) + 8000gp (+2 weapon) = 26600gp.
Sizing costs a fixed 5000gp and is found in the MIC on page 43.

geekintheground
2013-09-06, 02:47 PM
you may want to ask your dm about sizing though. since only 1 side it enchanted with the property, its possible only one side will change (though this is very unlikely since that wouldnt make much sense... it doesnt hurt to play it safe)

nickia
2013-09-07, 01:12 PM
A Treant :P

Grayson01
2013-09-07, 06:14 PM
I am always partial to the Spear. A blue wood Rusting SPear, always wanted one to go stabbing Warforged with.

Rubik
2013-09-07, 07:14 PM
Actually, a sizing/morphing elvencraft longbow has a lot of advantages. It counts as three weapons simultaneously -- a composite longbow and two ends of a double weapon. That means that you can add three wand chambers and three weapon crystals, as well as THF with one end of the quarterstaff and having a passive end in reserve.

Improved Unarmed Strike (via a monk level) can be awesome as well, considering how much you can stack on it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863)

Ketiara
2013-09-08, 01:51 PM
Load up on Spellblades on the passive end, and have a Wand Chamber installed (of Heroics, is my favourite).

Also, Aptitude, Sizing, Moving, Skillful works decently.

The heroics spell: what feat would you choose?
And what do you mean with load up on spellblades?

Rubik
2013-09-08, 02:00 PM
The heroics spell: what feat would you choose?Probably Martial Study or Martial Stance, for me.

And what do you mean with load up on spellblades?The spellblade property allows you to be immune to a single targeted spell. Multiple applications of the property allow you to be immune to the spell that each application grants you.

I'd go after Dispel and Greater Dispel, for sure.

Vaz
2013-09-08, 03:03 PM
The leap attacker feat chain works well if you Wild Shape into a Pounce+Rake form, alongside your immense AC from Druid buffs, and Wild Shape, you'll be ace.

Piggy Knowles
2013-09-08, 03:11 PM
The leap attacker feat chain works well if you Wild Shape into a Pounce+Rake form, alongside your immense AC from Druid buffs, and Wild Shape, you'll be ace.

Leap Attack is not a fighter feat. Don't ask me why - it should be - but unfortunately it's not.

Mystral
2013-09-08, 03:15 PM
Druids are able to use slings, and every character should have a means to attack trough range.

For Melee, I'd go with the others. Use a club or Quarterstaff.

Vaz
2013-09-08, 05:27 PM
Leap Attack is not a fighter feat. Don't ask me why - it should be - but unfortunately it's not.

Well that ruins that plan. Still, you can get improved bull rush, and shock trooper that way. Also picking up Stunning Fist feat chains.

nickia
2013-09-10, 10:30 AM
A Treant :P

I wielded 6 of them. haha