PDA

View Full Version : Race Wars IC

Azoth
2013-09-05, 06:45 PM
Race Wars

The day of the Grand Feast is upon the city of Avempartha. With it the crowds are at a pitched ferver. The paved roads of this city are packed to the point one can hardly move. Sounds battle to reach the ears of passersby as merchants and street performers shout for the attention deserved of their wares. The air is thick with the smells of food, drink, and sweat all equally powerful and still some more pleasant than others.

It is a grand day indeed, and weather favors the events to be held. Not a single cloud mars the pale blue sky, nor do they threaten to block the bright golden light of the early morning sun. A gentle and constant breeze rolls through the city keeping the warmth of summer at bay, and making even the throngs of people cool enough to not mind their labors.

As you move through the city's main road, you can hear the sqeals of children at play and women impressed. The gathered masses huddle together around performances of all manner.

Elven men standing bare chested with their faces and hair adorned with semiprecious stones performing martial talents that seem far beyond the reach of most. The aura around them thick with bravado and flair. Orcish men standing bare chested showing their scars and battle wounds as they wrestle and display feats of strength to bring honor to their tribes. Gnomish vendors displaying various tinctures, ointments, and mechanical toys to fascinate anyone with their boasts. Dwarven smiths hammer out orders in plain view showing their prowess at the forge so no other race can forget their skills. Dwarven brewers offering prizes to anyone who can stand after finishing a draught of their home brewed ales and meads. The stalls of men offer rare trinkets from the far corners of the known world, and tomes of knowledge from even farther still. The Halfling stalls offer games of chance and supposed skill, but truly they are trickier than anyone realizes indeed.

Amidst all these marvels and sights, no one seems to care if they are caught staring or admiring the works of the other races. The performers all seem pleased when they catch a member of a different race admiring their skill and prowess. Here all seem equal for the day. This peace won't last, and all seem to be enjoying it to the fullest while they can.

OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15966632#post15966632

BelGareth
2013-09-05, 07:19 PM
MaelDroth had awoken in his room early that day, the breeze was fresh against his skin as the water fell from his face, removing the morning yuckness and waking him wholly.

It wasn't the sun, or the street noises, or the fresh breeze that stank of the city, no, it was the stupid couple next door. He didn't know what they were doing, but he had a good idea, and it infuriated him that he was awoken, why couldn't he just sleep in just once!

Well now, he was awake, might as well make the best of it, he hoveled over to his bed, water beading down his chest, missing the sparse hair therein, he was still young, and his chest hair was yet to come in fully, he doubted it would, knowing his line of work, he didn't have the manliness for it, he thought, smiling at himself as he dressed in his clothes that lay on the chair next to his bed.

Grabbing his belongings, including his prized rucksack, for he did not trust the innkeepers maids, he headed out in hopes he could beat the morning crowds, for he was up earlier than expected. Walking down the stairs he skipped breakfast, avoiding eye contact with the plump troll of a barmaid who served the common room, she seemed to like him just a little too much, he headed out doors.

Damnit.

Damnit, damnit, damnit. He thought to himself as he almost walked head long into the wall of flesh that comprised the city streets.

He wasn't going anyway, not any time soon.

The smell of frybread, bacon grease, cooked eggs, honeyed milk and fresh sourdough was enough to turn him and break his fast. He turned heels and walked back in, sighing as he made eye contact with the barmaid, nodding at the suggestion of food, he slumped down at a bench.

At least he wouldn't go hungry...

redmane
2013-09-05, 07:32 PM
Cobalt was strolling the stalls absent-minded, occasionally stopping to look at tools, mineral oils, and similar things, of proper interest to a mechanical man. Naturally, his own persona have gathered some interest, too, especially from gnomes. He smiled - as much as his limited facial muscles allowed - answering questions about his origin for the countless time, and trying to mention the Academy once in a while (all to no avail, so far).

He did notice a curious display of emotions the flesh beings were showing at the food, and especially drink stalls. Being impervious to digestive, circulatory, and similar ailments (called "poison" and "disease" by the fleshies) had its own benefit, but rendered him unable to experience any taste as well. He wondered whether taste was the only sense at play, when it came to drinks, though. Maybe he should try something similar with, say, mineral oil sometimes. These were the times when he almost envied the flesh beings.

He continued his stroll at the marketplace, still enveloped in thoughts.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-06, 12:28 AM
When one felt the telltale tingling sensation of another mind probing at their thoughts, the six foot metal automaton with the psionically resonating crystals sticking out of its head shot right to the top of their suspect list. They would turn, chatter angrily at each other in voices that only pretended to be whispers, and scurry away clutching their possessions as if they were next on his list of items to steal. Occasionally, those disgruntled complaints would stoke a fire that lead to a posse of men with farm tools surrounding a confused psiforged on the streets.

Servant had lived through that scenario twice in his life, only one of which was actually his fault. Instead of reaching out with his mind and probing thoughts to sate his curiosity, he closely studied facial expression and vocal inflection. It was a considerably less efficient method.

He mingled with the festival crowds, stopped at nearly every stall, and happily chatted away with anyone for as long as he could keep them talking about themselves. He could spend hours at a single trade stall, meditating himself in to a small trance to keep a near perfect memory of them at their craft. When he was alone, he would mull over those memories, working his hands at imaginary tools while he picked apart the reasons for every action.

Then he would picture that tradesman as a child, watching their father or mother or mentor working that very same craft, and he would recall the reasons and stories they had shared with him earlier and he would use them to paint a picture in his mind of who they were. When his imaginary craft was complete, he would emulate the pride the pride and satisfaction they felt. In a learned gesture that had become reflex, he would sigh and picture himself living that quiet life.

That was a selfish impulse, one he would evolve beyond. Every time he had one of those impulses, he would stand straighter, walk quicker, and refocus his mind. The festival offered a chance to interact with people from every culture and every walk of life. He spoke more freely and openly now than any other time of year. He listened to stories and rumors, picking them apart for their hidden meanings. He walked with the crowds, and they walked with him, shoulder to shoulder as one people, for the first time in a year.

Rakaydos
2013-09-06, 04:26 AM
Nessus had his own booth, selling pelts and leather to passers by. He had already passed off most of his edible stock to those better trained in preparation, but growling noises emerged from under the table where a timberwolf gnawed the gristle off a leftover bone. His own tribal leathers were pale against his pelt, a darker mottled brown. Though his bracers and the bow slung over his shoulder appeared to be of VERY good quality, he made it clear to any who asked that they were not for sale.

Between haggling with customers, the Gnoll used a small handax to whittle arrows- nothing as impressive as the elven make, certainly, but functional enough. He too watched the crowd, overwhelmed with the mass of the herd of humanity, planning to look around himself later on, if he could sell the rest of his wares.

Profession check, trying to pick up some spending money before going around town.
[roll0] Profession Trapper
EDIT: 8 GP... not much, but I suppose I had to pay for the stall...

only1doug
2013-09-06, 04:38 AM
Stivan journeys through the streets, eyeing all of the displays, keeping a lookout for the truly unusual, for any hint of the draconic items that he craves.

Almost lost in his search amongst the stalls he notices something unusual, a Gnoll, selling his goods at the market. Stivan's sense twitch, the Tribal Gnolls might horde a draconic artifact away for ages, it's always worth asking...

"Hello big fellow", Stivan looks fearlessly up at the Gnoll, "Have you come across any rumours of Dragons in your travels?"

Rakaydos
2013-09-06, 04:47 AM
The gnoll snorts, as the timber wolf raises it's bloody muzzle over the stand to whine at him. "Do I look like a dragonslayer?" he asks ironically, petting the wolf. "I'm just a trapper, not some gloryhound to go hunting something that tough. If you want scale armor, I hear the dwarves are making fine gear." he adds, misunderstanding the question.

only1doug
2013-09-06, 05:38 AM
"I'm not looking for pale imitations of a Dragon's armoured skin, nor am I seeking a Dragonslayer."

"I am looking for any information I can find regarding dragons, have you never heard any rumours of them?"

"Do you never wonder at their majesty, Glory at their power and desire it for your own?"

"Sometimes an area or an item can become imbued with Draconic power, just by association with their wonderous presence."

"I seek out items with such association, that I may strengthen my link to Dragonkind"

Stivan's body seems to crackle momentarily with electricity as he gets carried away prosetalysing to the Gnoll.

"Your tribe truly have no rumours of such items? surely you must of come across some tale in your travels?"

redmane
2013-09-06, 08:54 AM
Still strolling casually through the market, Cobalt has suddenly picked up a familiar resonance aura. He haven't heard that tingling in his metallic head ever since he left the lab, but now he was picking some faint traces of it again. He tried to concentrate on the origin of the tingling... and nearly bumped into a warforged of similar design, as he rounded a corner of a dwarven armor stall!

- Why, greetings... brother, - Cobalt was rather excited by the meet-up, - surely, the local folk might think this festival is overloaded with curiosities to the brim, having not just one, but two of our kind wandering around. Where might you be hailing from?

Rakaydos
2013-09-06, 11:14 AM
Nessus looked skeptical. "Information on dragons? They're big, powerful, hungry and smart, that's all I really need to know to stay away." he pauses, considering. "Last time I heard of a dragon was years back. I'm not sure if wild rumors would be," he glanced toward your coin purse, "-worth your time."

AdamSmasher
2013-09-06, 12:03 PM
Servant had his eyes fixated in concentration on the dwarven armorsmiths. On tough days, when the trials of the road exceeded his limited ability to heal, he hammered pieces of his own armored shell back in to place. He visited these stalls and watched their methods, hoping for something he could use to save a few hours or a few pieces of scrap.

As Cobalt rounded the corner, Servant perked up. All his life he had only met the steel and adamantine warforged constructed for battle. He had no reference for how another psiforged might act other than himself. "Hello! I am as surprised as they are to see a second psionic warforged. I came from Kesselrock, a small university city in the human lands. I am Servant. What about you? Where are you from? What brings you to the festival?" Names were important to the warforged, who were in a rare position to name themselves something not tied to tradition or culture. The others he had met were warriors with fierce names like Rend, Triumph, or Independent. They were put off by the name he had chosen for himself, seeing it as a shackle of slavery.

oyzar
2013-09-06, 12:49 PM
Colorful hair waving in the wind, Fedora Mystral is walking along happily around the festival. Her hair is all the colors of the rainbow, rippling almost as if alive through different hues. It’s clearly animated by a magical effect. The girl is beautifully proportioned and not afraid to show it off. She has a tight-fitting leather dress barely reaching down her hips and upwards it has a deep strapless cleavage leaving plenty of fair skin to show off. The human girl tries to draw in everything she sees around her, So many things to see, so little time. She admires the powerfully built warriors before studying the fine craft of the dwarves. Maybe I could craft something as wonderful one day? Then again it would take a lot of time away from seeing other things.

She spots two unusual beings in the crowd. Two constructs next to each other. Learning about those might be worth spending time on though. Magic is always interesting. She skips over to the beings. Almost as if afraid that they will disappear if she dallies too much. She does not know how to speak to such things, but you never get an answer unless you ask so she dives right in. "Hello there. Such a fine day it is. I must admit I have never seen anything quite like the two of you before. Could you perhaps tell me a bit more about what you are? So shiny..." Her last comment comes out as a whisper, as she does so her hair glitters in tune, sparkling bright teal to match the color of the constructs.

Spell: Prestigitation

redmane
2013-09-06, 12:57 PM
Kesselrock, eh? I've heard about that place, they say you guys specialize in... - Cobalt's tone became a little hushed, - "working" with humanoid minds? Oh, and I'm Cobalt, from the Shiran Labs. That's to the east, in gnomish lands. Our field of study is construction and matter manipulation. They've sent me on an external study mission, and I was just passing by this town, in hopes of maybe pick some rumors about the place I'm heading for. Where did you decided to stay? Not that we really need a place to sleep, but the local folk is always suspicious to anyone sleeping on the streets, I wonder why...

As he was finishing his sentence, the warforged were beset by the appearance of a beautiful girl. Cobalt stopped halfway past his speech, quizzically looking at Servant.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-06, 02:30 PM
"Yes, they did when I left." He hushed his tone, then picked it back up. "I assume that you're a Shaper, then? I've paid for a place by the hearth in an inn at the edge of town, but I doubt I'll use it. There is a library that doesn't close in the city center." Without a need for sleep, he spent each night 'resting' by reading. "I think they are worried by the correlation between homelessness and crime..."

He trailed off as human approached, then passed a glance at Cobalt. He didn't hear any malice in the question. "We are Psiforged, a subcategory of the Warforged infused with psionic resonance crystals to heighten our manifesting abilities. I am called Servant, it's a pleasure to meet you."

redmane
2013-09-06, 03:04 PM
Cobalt sized up the approached human. Seemed like a fine specimen of their race, according to human's standards, of course. Who knows, she might as well have heard something about his destination, too. Never a good idea to turn down a little talk.

Name's Cobalt. Constructor by the build, from Shiran Labs to the east, and just passing this welcoming settlement. Though I guess I'll have to check out the library, sounds just like the place to stay for someone in need of... geographical research. And we have the honour of speaking to ... ?

He paused, just enough for the woman to pick up the cue and introduce herself, too...

oyzar
2013-09-06, 03:25 PM
A bright smile and a laugh from the little girl. "I am Fedora. Psionicly enchanted warforged eh? That sounds really interesting." She sounds like she actually means it. She starts looking up and down the two constructs, drawing all the details she can manage. "I've heard quite a bit about psionics, but learning more is always nice. The library would indeed be nice to visit, libraries are great places to learn, however don't the two of you think it would be a waste to go there on a day like this? One should enjoy the festival, the chance does not come very often. People are displaying their skills and abilities like no other place. It would be nice to see what beings like you can do as well." She turns with a swag and starts walking along the road. After a step she half turns back and curls a finger at the two constructs. "Come, let's walk around while we talk. No reason to remain stationary when we can enjoy both interesting conversation and a nice walk with impressive displays at the same time."

redmane
2013-09-06, 03:33 PM
Sure enough, - Cobalt wasn't going to visit library until the evening anyway, - it's not that we're really capable of enjoying the day, but let's do it anyway.

He glanced at Servant. Maybe - but extremely unlikely - the warforged had other plans.

oyzar
2013-09-06, 03:40 PM
"You can not enjoy the day?" Fedoras look turn from a smile of happiness and excitement to one of pity. "How sad. Can you feel anything at all? If you can't feel anything, how do you get motivated? Or are you simply controlled or instilled with an external purpose?" The look turns from one of pity to one of curiosity. She thinks. Never so bad that it's not good for something. And it's always nice to learn more.

only1doug
2013-09-06, 04:20 PM
"Ah well, if you don't know any rumours then I won't further waste your time."

"Happy festival and thanks.", Stivan drops a silver piece onto the stall as he turns to walk away.

Azoth
2013-09-06, 04:55 PM
For BelGareth

The homely, plump barmaid saunters off with her hips swaying in a fashion she no doubt finds seductive.

As you wait for your food, you notice that despite the open and somewhat friendly air of the festival that your fellow inn stayers are sitting in groups with their own kind and making no notion to hide it in the least.

While no open confrontation has happened yet, you can see tension mounting as a group of elves are becoming increasing annoyed with the loud table of Dwarves behind them carrying on like breakfast is happy hour at a tavern. The group is finning tankards of ale and mead like a man fresh out the desert downs water. Their table is filled with griddle cakes, sausages, bacon, and hard biscuts. Much to the dismay of one scarred elf in particular the Dwarves have started up singing a particularly crude little shanty.

As the elf tightens his grip on his knife, you notice a nearby Orc shift in his seat and brace his foot against a stool. He slowly shifts it in line with the back of the Elf's head.

Before much else can happen you are brought out of your observations by a loud clatter of a plate landing in front of you. The plate is loaded down with eggs, bacon, sausage, a biscut, and some corn mixture that looks almost like mashed potatoes.

A plump hand finds its way to your thigh, and should you head turn it will find ample bosom to press into whether you like it or not accompanied by a face hungry for more than food.

There you are handsome. Gotta make sure a lad like you has plenty of energy for the day. Never know when you might need to exert yourself...Mmmm.

Her hand shifts closer to your waist as she speaks, as if to punctuate her intention.

BelGareth
2013-09-06, 05:10 PM
MaelDroth was so enraptured by his people watching that the buxom barmaid managed to sneak upon him with out a moment of warning.

She was very sneaky.

Her hand wasn't however.

MaelDroth turned to look at her as her hand crept downwards, his face smashing into her bosom, he almost yelped and fell over himself getting away, shifting he managed to surface for air.

"Ah, yes....um...oh good! food!" he said plainly ignoring her, hoping that the absence of any reaction would shoo her away, that or her job...she had a job to do right? he hoped, he hoped and prayed.

He sunk his teeth into a biscuit and sighed, food was good.

After the troll had left, he continued on watching what was obviously going to turn into a brawl, wondering what would happen and who would be triumphant, oblivious to the fact that his breakfast would be ruined.

Rakaydos
2013-09-06, 05:21 PM
"Ah well, if you don't know any rumours then I won't further waste your time."

"Happy festival and thanks.", Stivan drops a silver piece onto the stall as he turns to walk away.

"The elves to the east," called Nessus at the retreating human, flipping the silver piece in the air. When the human turned back, he added, "They said their ancestral lands had been taken by a green, when they came to invade my tribe's own lands. Perhaps it is still there, perhaps it is not... The elves certintly still are."

only1doug
2013-09-06, 05:37 PM
Turning back, Stivan smiled, "My thanks Gnoll, I am Stivan, might I ask your name?"

Azoth
2013-09-06, 05:37 PM
For BelGareth

The barmaid makes off hand comments about how fun young innocence can be, and the things she could teach under her breath as another table summons her away.

A few more minutes pass as the tensions mount between the tables. A piece of bacon is halfway to your mouth when it happens.

A dwarf leans too far back while laughing at their song, and his tankard is up ended on the already irritated elf. As the Elf shoots up white knuckling his knife, the stool goes flying. Another elf grabs it out of the air and hurls it back at the surprised orc. His hand smashing it to splinters on the inn floor. As he rises yelling a curse, one of his kin grabs him by the throat and smashes him to the floor through his own stool before sitting on his chest.

The first elf takes the opportunity to turn on the dwarves, only for two of his kin to grab him by the arms. They bost twist backwards in unison bending the man backwards over the table, and forcing the knife from his hands.

The Dwarves rise ready to crack skulls, only to realize in the blink of an eye that the fight is already over. The table looks about and quickly realizes what has happened. An old Dwarf whose beard sweep the floor drops a pouch on the Elven table, and signals his kin to leave the Inn.

Only a moment later, a small group of Elven men enter the inn. Their armor made entirely of Mithral, with standards of the town guard in plain view. They already have a dwarf in toe, and with no arguments from the other two tables take the other aggressors into custody. Heavy chains of adamantine drape around their prisoners as they make to leave.

The impression is clear. No one will disrupt the peace and get away with it.

For the rest.

There are loud murmurs echoing through the crowd. Only a moment after they reach their peak can everyone see three elven men launched in wide arcs through the sky easily leaving the crowd beneath them by atleast twenty feet. Fire flaring under the men's feet.

As they complete their arcs the air ignites into three overlaping rings of fire. The same men are seen rising again into the air like soaring twisters of flame over the flaming rings. The faint sound of metal on metal rising over the crowd. Then flaiming projectiles are seen leaving the rising twisters.

It takes a moment to realizes someone is shooting arrows at the men as they rise and descend. Right over the crowd's heads a final man sends out a serpent of flame weaving between the acrobats as they twist and contort around it.

As the flames die out, the crowd erupts into a frenzy at the display of power and precision.

To not be outdone another troupe starts up. One member suddenly appearing in the air even higher than the loops of fire. A giant slab of stone fly's at him. He flips over it and drives his bare hand clear through the stone slab shattering it into tiny fragments before kicking off another slab gaining even more height as if daring someone to reach him.

only1doug
2013-09-06, 05:44 PM
"Stivan smiles at the impressive displays, "Amazing tricks, still you wonder how solid the stone was before it broke up..."

BelGareth
2013-09-06, 06:02 PM
MaelDroth is enraptured by the events, even pulling out a piece of paper and his pen to jot down notes, draw some charts and sketches, and is finishing his last bite when the town guards show up. He watches, studying the interaction and keeping the heraldry of the town guards to memory, after they leave, he drops the coins to pay for his dinner and a small tip, and leaves in haste, hoping that the whale would leave him alone.

He pushes through the crowd as best as possible heading to the library, not caring for the crows, the bazaars, the stalls or any of that, although a book stall or tomes of any kind would gather his interest, he is not looking for any, as he thinks none of these offal for shop keeps would actually have any.

Rakaydos
2013-09-06, 06:14 PM
"Nessus," the gnoll growled.
He eyed the performing troupes. "Looks like fun, wonder what they let the rest of us do?"

AdamSmasher
2013-09-06, 07:12 PM
"We have souls, and our mental and emotional states are remarkably similar to those of humanoids. But we have no sense of taste and only a primitive sense of touch. We are aware of nice weather, but have no preference for it." He and every other construct he had met reported the same things, and his scans of surface thoughts showed very little meaningful difference between a contruct mind and a humanoid mind. His head turns towards the armorsmithing stall, then back to Cobalt. He had never met another psiforged before. "Let's go."

When the display began, Servant instinctively reached for the polearm on his back. His eyes scanned the crowd, waiting for the telltale surge of bodies as people tried to distance themselves from the violence. When it didn't come, he understood that he was watching an acrobatic display of pyromancy and kept his weapon at his back. Then he simply stared in near slackjawed wonder.

redmane
2013-09-06, 09:31 PM
- Every being has purpose, or is supposed to have one, - replied Cobalt to Fedora, - and ours is largely loaded into us at the creation time. With years, though, we start to develop our own outlook on life, our own goals and purposes, even feelings. Or so the lab gnomes said. Me, I wouldn't know either way, being too young.

He turned around, watching the performers with slight interest, then turned back to his companions.

- Say, what's the purpose of these awesome performers? Do they exist only to entertain, or do they have some goals of their own? They probably do - as much as I can gather from my limited knowledge on the subject - but we wouldn't know either way, right? For us, they exist for a single purpose - to entertain. Shopkeepers exist to sell us goods, guards - to protect the streets (and to shoo us away when we try to sleep there at night), et cetera. They might not agree to this, but that's how it looks from our point of view, doesn't it?

only1doug
2013-09-07, 08:39 AM
"I've seen a few stalls that invite audience participation, Dwarven drinking games, Halfling games of skill and perhaps orcish wrestling, although i didn't see anyone volunteering to take part in that one.", Stivan smiles slightly, "If you want to play the halfling games then I'd suggest you do it before visiting the dwarven brewers."

"It's been nice chatting but one of these other stalls may yet contain a Draconic item. If you should find anything yourself then I'll reward you handsomely, you can find me lodging at the Silver Dragon Inn"

Stivan returns to his hunt among the stalls, looking for any items that may contain Draconic power.

oyzar
2013-09-07, 10:04 AM
Fedora claps her hand together in delight and smiles as she studies the acrobats with concentration. "That looks wonderful."

She briefly looks over to Cobalt at his question before continuing studying the preformers then says. "Surely they must like to please others or to be admired. The feeling of being admired or looked up to is a strong motivator. At the same time they got to do something to make the ends meet. I am sure they somehow get paid for the effort they put down into making these impressive performances. The end result is that they are entertaining and impressive, but that is not what motivates them.

I've never actually flown myself before. I should look into how to accomplish that. Maybe the library you spoke off have some information about it? Have either of the two of you flown before?" She looks back to the psiforged as the preformance ends.

Rakaydos
2013-09-07, 01:40 PM
The beastman nods, putting the coin in his pouch. he still had a few more skins to sell, then he would wander the fair for a bit.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-07, 02:38 PM
Servant stood in silence during their conversation, nodding his head in agreement. Performance was fueled by a desire for approval and admiration. On the question of flight, he had once been abducted by a griffon whose nest he had strayed too close to. "Yes." The thought of it gave him the spins.

oyzar
2013-09-07, 04:21 PM
Fedora turns her eyes to the smaller psiforged. An interested look comes across her face. "Nice. How did you do it? Maybe you have some abilities like magic that let you fly? If they are similar enough to my own magic, maybe I can learn from you and I won't have to look in the library for it?"

redmane
2013-09-07, 04:39 PM
- No, I haven't had a chance, - replied Cobalt, somewhat out-of-band, as he still was watching the acrobats. - But I can make things fly... or, rather, I can make things that can fly. When I get better at doing that, I reckon I'd be able to ride one of these.

oyzar
2013-09-07, 06:05 PM
"Hmm, I can summon things to ride on that can fly as well. But that is not the same as flying yourself. Also it does not last very long. Still, I should try it some time."

AdamSmasher
2013-09-07, 06:11 PM
Servant was silent a moment before he answered. "I rode a griffon."

Rakaydos
2013-09-08, 03:25 AM
Selling the last hide, Nessus packed up his booth. He had seen a couple attractions that appealed to him, and there should still be time to visit them before the festival ended.

Finding an archery contest, he watched from the stands for a bit... then deided to join in; Drawing his bow from the stands toward an unused target drew startled reactions, but after the first shot hit and two more were in the air, the murmurs turned from shock to awe- for the range was over 200.'

oyzar
2013-09-08, 04:24 AM
"So can you make, or summon things as well then Servant? Amazing to have three with such similar abilities meet. Please do tell me more about what you can do. It's always nice to know what others can do even if it's not showing it off like this." She raises her hand to gesture towards the acrobats. "Hmm, I suppose I could turn into something that can fly, like an Avarial. I have to try that..." Her words trail of as she is thinking out loud while waiting for a reply to her question. "Did you two come here to show off your skills or just to watch?" She asks after they reply.

only1doug
2013-09-08, 04:39 AM
Stivan continues to pick his way amongst the stalls, still looking for anything bearing draconic power. Occasionally he will pick up an item and a peaceful expression will cross his face as he communes with it, testing intuitively for a sense of draconic power.

umd check trying for a sense of the power source of any magic item.
[roll0]

redmane
2013-09-08, 06:42 AM
- Neither, - Cobalt shook his head, - I'm only passing by, and thought that such a great gathering of people might help me to find out something about my destination. But to no avail, it seems, so now I plan to head to the library, maybe I could find there something...

oyzar
2013-09-08, 06:47 AM
"Where are you headed? It's a shame to not enjoy the festivities now that you are here right?" Fedora seems genuinly happy to be there amidst the powerful displays. She stretches out her arms to both sides to indicate the things surrounding them.

redmane
2013-09-08, 07:43 AM
- I need to get to the Academy of Matter Manipulation, to enhance my skills. Have you heard anything about it? No one seem to even know the name... And no, I'm not in a hurry to leave this place... at the very least, because I don't really know where to go.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-08, 10:52 AM
Normally it was Servant subjecting people to a constant stream of questions. Now, feeling the same treatment himself, he was starting to fidget and withdraw. "I can. I am a psion. I came to watch the festival. What about you, Ms. Fedora? Why are you here? What skills do you posses?"

AdamSmasher
2013-09-08, 02:27 PM
Knowledge (Arcana) check to see if Servant knows about the Academy [roll0]
Knowledge (Local) check to see if he's heard of anything like that nearby. [roll1]

Azoth
2013-09-08, 02:33 PM
For BelGareth

As you try to tracerse the throng of people, its ebb and flow seems to move you more than you can move it. You quickly realize the hazards as a tall man pushes past you and nearly sends you bending at the waist over the gnome in front of you. Neither takes exceptional notice of it, but it is rather annoying for you to say the least.

Your boyish charms do manage to illicit a few unwated touches from the fairer sex, but unlike at the inn you have no where to shrink from the advances.

The crushing force of the crowd seems to peter out as you push through it though. You finally find a moment's salvation right before you end up face first into the broadside of a man sized robot. As you take a moment to breath, you notice a second off to his side and a woman across them. The woman revealing more skin than any at the inn or you academy of study, and unlike those before...she deserves to. She is definitely one in possession of...huge tracts of land...

For Stivan

You make your way through the stalls seeing many ornate carvings and painting of dragons, even a few statues of them but none resonate that power you crave to you. A few rare stalls even have jewelry made from the remains of Dragokind, but even these hold no power anymore.

A few stalls have items of power, but the resonance you feel from them tell you that it is the essence of lesser races that have brought them to be.

As you continue to hunt through stalls, you hear the crowd murmuring in astonishment over something. Your curiosity peeks for a moment, hoping for a distraction from the iI'll fated luck in your relic hunting, and you head over for a moment.

When you draw near the source of the crowds commotion, you notice the Gnoll from before. He is firing at a target from nearly twice the range of the other contestants and still hitting the mark as well as the rest. You can sense the other contestants palpable annoyance as they start to fire while retreating back to his distance of farther refusing to be outdone.

For our lovely lady and two psiforged

While you speak about eachother's abilities and destinations, you notice a young man thrust through the crowd towards you like a sacrificial offering. His clothing and currently exasperated demeanor let you know he is not one to get out often, and most likely has a life of increasing thick glasses and ever expanding clothing ahead of him.

Each of you can feel his eyes on you for at least a moment as he tries to make heads or tails of you, and our lovely lady can even notice that at least on some level he appreciates what he sees.

For our Gnoll

You draw the crowd into a small uproar over your antics. The other contestants begin to shift back to meet your position, never once stopping their barrage of arrows at the targets before them.

This does nothing to surprise you, as you could already tell from the past few days, this entire festival was one big pecocking contest. You have definitely ruffled some feathers now, and can smell the testosterone in the air begging for satisfaction in taking you down a few pegs.

oyzar
2013-09-08, 02:34 PM
"The Academy of Matter Manipulation eh? I've heard about that. I am not really one for making things myself, it takes too long. But it does sound like a fascinating place. I am sure there are other things to be learned there other than simply making magic items. Sadly I do not know where it is either." Fedora gets a slightly dissapointed look on her face. She brights up again as she turns over to Servant. "I am here to watch the festival. I can't let such an opportunity go away from me. You know what they say. You only live once." She laughs slightly at the irony of the statement, talking to two constructs. "For living things that is, and things not brought back form the dead at least. As I mentioned I can summon creatures. This comes from my magic which I am always looking to improve. That is why I hoped I might be able to learn something from some of you. I do try to learn as many different things as possible. I only got one chance and I want to try out as many things as I can." She twirls around suddenly, making the air around her sparkle as she brings her arm out, then over her head and back down before turning back to face the golems. "I might not have the grace of a bard but I hope I can end up in as many of their stories as possible." She smiles widely at the golems, not shy to tell about herself at all despite not being used to such creatures at all.

Perform Dance:[roll0]

only1doug
2013-09-08, 03:53 PM
"well, this should be interesting, I wonder how well he will do", Stivan settles in to watch the long range archery, his attention split between the contest and the response of the crowd.

oyzar
2013-09-08, 04:09 PM
As she finishes her twirl she notices the man studying them. Her smile, if possible brightens further. A glint, certainly produced by magic, comes off her teeth and she looks towards the man and says. "Hello there, you seem very interested in these two wonders here." She waves her hands at the two golems beside her. "Or maybe another couple of wonders caught your attention." She folds down her arms to her side and sways her body slightly as she says. "Or maybe it was our conversation that caught your attention? I am Fedora, who might you be?"

BelGareth
2013-09-08, 05:03 PM
MaelDroth stumbles through the crowd, hitting another passerby not for the first time, this time he was taken off by another torrent of people, he only clutched his staff and the strap of his ruck as he went.

The incident with the gnome had him blushing from ear to ear, and he had just recovered his normal alabaster complexion when he stumbled into the psiforged body, hurting his head. He stopped, and rubbed it, looking up he saw the image of a very buxom and attractive woman, made all the worse with the fact that his eyes would not budge from a particular area, which she was brazenly making worse by pushing them towards him....

"Uh! ah...I....Oh dear!" he says, his face instantly flushing bright red "Yes, well...I....er..." his eyes still fixed on what is before him.

"No, I er...was heading to the library...for some breasts....BOOKS! I meant BOOKS!" he almost screams out, tearing his eyes away and looking at the psiforged he bumped into "Oh my!" he says amazed, he gingerly touched the construct, tracing power lines, and lattices on the things skin. "You are remarkable!"

Sorry, but sundays are my off days, I'm not going to be able to post again today most likely

AdamSmasher
2013-09-08, 06:49 PM
"I've heard the name, but I don't know much about it." His body barely budged when he was bumped. He didn't bother to look, he had been bumped more in the passed few days than in half of his life before that, until Fedora addressed their new guest. He turned half way around to keep all three of them in his line of sight.

Servant, as a product of his construction, would never be able to identify with the humanoid fascination with secondary sexual characteristics no matter how much he analyzed it. It was a vestigial behavior grown from an instinctual drive that he didn't have. Yet some people based their entire personalities on them.

"Hello." He took half of a step back before he was touched. "My name is Servant. Who are you?"

Rakaydos
2013-09-08, 07:46 PM
Nessus watched as the shortbow users strained and fell off, unable to match his range with anything resembling accuracy, while the few longbow users began to approach his position. Grinning, he vaulted the bannister and stepped onto the field.

Picking the most accurate, a wiry elf, he nodded and spoke. <An worthy effort- though methinks your craftsmanship is more to credit than your skills.>

redmane
2013-09-08, 08:06 PM
Cobalt chuckled at the questionable situation that the man got himself into. I could never understand humanoid fascination with these milking appendages. I mean, yes, the shapes are considered near-perfect by human standards, but is it really the reason enough to lose all head like that? These humans... there's still so much to understand about their emotions... Still, there was no point in keeping the man in his awkward position like that, so Cobalt tried a small distraction

- Name's Cobalt. We seem to be enjoying here a gathering of fine intellects, as we all happen to be involved in magic or sciences in some way. By your looks, I gather that you're guest to these subjects as well? I'm curious, what might be your background? By the way, we're heading to the library as well

oyzar
2013-09-09, 12:57 AM
Fedora waves her hand and suddenly a black slick material seems to be covering what was previously exposed flesh. It sticks to her skin so closely that it is almost like a second skin. It goes all the way up to her throath, out to her fingertips and down to her shoes. "I guess if you have such problems concentrating, I'll just cover up. I was saying it's a waste to spend a day like this in the library, but it would certainly be nice to go there later. What do you want to study there? I am not sure you would handle studying breasts." She raises one hand slowly in the air and let it fall slowly down on his shoulder. They stand face to face, nearly of the same height as she stares him in the eyes. Her smile is as wide as ever, clearly she is enjoying the situation. "Personally, I prefer to read about magic. Don't you think we could have a magical time with these fantastic..." She pauses for a second. "Things there?"

prestidigitation lasts for an hour right?
I am thinking of a material like latex.

BelGareth
2013-09-09, 03:55 PM
MaelDroth watches as the construct before him speaks, and with even a hint of emotion, it astounded him! he had heard of things like this, but never saw one before, the books were rare, and he enjoyed them greatly, they were among his favorite ones, among the books that help him unlock his own mind.

"You are heading to the library too! Excellent I would greatly like time to study you, would that be ok? I mean I don't want to cause offense, do you take offense? I mean, is it possible? But I guess I mean right now, because if you do, I'm sorry!" he blurts out, seemingly blending his thoughts into one long moment.

He turns to the woman and attempts to avert his eyes "I ah...I study," he shrugs his shoulders "Everything really! I seek knowledge, each library I visit gives me more, even if it is a little, although...I must confess" he looks her in the eyes, gaining confidence "I am looking for specific information regarding an old Seer, kind of a hobby of mine" he looks around "Oh, My name is MaelDroth, nice to meet you all! I am a scholar and a Seer."

redmane
2013-09-09, 05:28 PM
Cobalt looked at the man again, this time with greater interest.

- A Seer? You mean the psionic discipline, correct? This is... curious that we've all managed to meet at one place. You see, we're no mere warforged, either - we're psiforged, and each one of us pursues a discipline. My field is Shaping, while Servant excels at Telepathy. And yes, I'd be happy to aid in your research if need be - we've been built for that, after all

oyzar
2013-09-09, 05:55 PM
Fedora withdraws her hand from the shoulder of MaelDroth. As she does so the material covering her slowly retracts as well, slowly uncovering more and more of her body until she is again left with what she had on before. "Three psionic-users. My what a wonderful coincidence. This is such a nice happening. As for searching for all kinds of knowledge, I can certainly understand that."

Fedoras voice slows down slightly for emphasis and she flutters her eyes downward before looking up again. "I am kinda a seeker myself. However my quest does not stop at mere knowledge. What good is knowing about something if you have not tried it yourself?"

Another pause as she takes a step back and lets her gaze wander over the three gathered around. "No, I seek experiences. I want to try everything worth trying. Though of course to do the things worth trying, you do need to know about them first."

She smiles and looks over at Servant. "As I said though, it would be a waste to go to the library now, it will still be there later, this festival won't be. Let's examine the wonders in front of us first." She is clearly scrutenizing Servant now, trying to make sense of every detail of his body, trying to figure out how he is put together and how the different materials are put together.

Not sure what check is apropriate to roll for checking him out, maybe psicraft(spellcraft?) [roll0]

AdamSmasher
2013-09-09, 06:07 PM
Servant took a few seconds to respond, staring in to the new fellow's eyes. He had been a test subject and assistant before. Now he treated others the same way he had been treated, but had never subjected himself to it again. Thankfully, Cobalt responded before he did and gave him more time. He chimed in after the fact, his voice initially sounding strained then becoming more comfortable. "Mentally, we are the same as humanoids. I would be happy to assist in answering any questions you might have. I will not be returning to the library until the day's festivities are over. Ms Fedora, you are welcome to join me." Looking at her he saw that he was again being studied. Choosing distraction rather than rescinding his offer, he looked over the heads of the crowd at the stalls of the festival.

oyzar
2013-09-09, 06:22 PM
I was wondering what you are made off and how the different things on your body interact. It's good to know how things work and the two of you seem like particulary special subjects to learn about." She looks quickly looks at Cobalt before turning her gaze back to the man. That is not to say that you are not interesting MaelDroth, but these seem more rare. I would delighted to hear more of what you know later though. Maybe you can acompany us to the library later? Though I guess it would take a long time to learn all that you kbow."

only1doug
2013-09-10, 02:45 AM
Sensing the crowd's mood grow ugly at the gnolls arrogance, Stivan calms them down diplomatically.

"Now, now, its just youthful enthusiasm, letting his tongue run away from him in the heat of the moment."

The big man spreads his arms, "Lets be hasty, I'm sure this matter can be settled amicably."

Azoth
2013-09-10, 07:30 AM
For the soon to be dynamic duo

An old elf hobble out into the archery field and points out to Nessus, the mocked elf, and another elf much closer to his own age. The other contestants cease firing and keep their contempt to a dull roar of a murmur.

The old elf wore clothing of of modest design and simple color, but those with a keen eye could tell it was fine silk woven with rall silver thread. The buttons each a single flawless pearl the size of a marble. A chain of office hung around his neck worked entirely of gold and accented with precious stones.

The announcer moved his bony hands as if to quiet the crowd before his voice, which one would guess to be muted by a page turning, boomed out as if through a horn.

This year we have seen many attempt their skill for honor and prestige. All of them have performed admirably and brought honor to their names, but the two before you now have performed above the rest, and have earned a special privilege.

They can now compete against the previous champion of or Summer's End Festival... Regent Rohaayel!

Now, if all of our contestants would step forward recieve their equipment for the next stage of the competition. For those of you who have not had the honor and privilage of witnessing this competition before allow me to explain the rules for this next segment. Each contestant will fire three arrows in succession at the target down the range. The one to score the most points wins the competition, and a special prize.

With this, the announcer points down range to a target 300ft away that is about half the size of a hobbit.

Please roll 3 attack rolls with relevant modifiers for 300ft range

For the Psiforged party and prime example of nerd+centerfold interactions

As you all speak a booming voice cuts over the throng of the crowd from somewhere off in the distance

This year we have seen many attempt their skill for honor and prestige. All of them have performed admirably and brought honor to their names, but the two before you now have performed above the rest, and have earned a special privilege.

They can now compete against the previous champion of or Summer's End Festival... Regent Rohaayel!

Now, if all of our contestants would step forward recieve their equipment for the next stage of the competition. For those of you who have not had the honor and privilage of witnessing this competition before allow me to explain the rules for this next segment. Each contestant will fire three arrows in succession at the target down the range. The one to score the most points wins the competition, and a special prize.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-10, 10:03 AM
"I am made primarily of Darkwood, Lifewood, Steel, and Adamantine. Small inlays of precious metal and alchemical treatments were used to grow my psionic resonance crystals. I was given life by the same methods used in ordinary construct creation. My intelligence was granted by psionic interference with that technique. Upon my death my base materials will quickly deteriorate." He rattled off that statement with a practiced tone borne of saying it very, very often. The last statement he began to add when a small band of brigands attempted to 'harvest' him to sell for scrap.

That was when the announcement came thundering over the crowd. Servant almost didn't seem to hear it at first, but gradually turned his head around. He was never very good at archery, despite its usefulness. "Lets go watch that demonstration."

redmane
2013-09-10, 04:48 PM
- My resonance crystals were crafted from Quori shards, strengthened with mithral inlays, and imbued with the spirits from the Far Realm, granting them some... unique properties, while allowing full psi manifestation. I'm the first successful prototype of this hybrid technology, according to my creators. The rest of the body is primarily Steel and Lifewood, with traces of Adamantine - much less than my brother has got, though, - Cobalt was casually explaining his construction as the group was heading towards the demonstration site.

oyzar
2013-09-10, 04:58 PM
At the announcement Fedora looks over in the direction of what is happening. "Let's go and see." She grabs MaelDroth's arm and pulls him next to her as they start moving towards the arena. His arm neatly lodged against her side.

She looks at the Psiforged as they talk in turn while they walk. "Ah, how interesting. I will be sure to remember that. Though I kinda doubt I will ever make a full construct myself it might be useful if I need to help out repairing or modifying one. Now for the contest."

As they draw closer to the contest the girl scans the area in front of her. "I would not mind participating myself. I am a fair shot with a bow actually." She got a massive bow strapped over her back, it's almost as tall as her.

Rakaydos
2013-09-10, 10:19 PM
Nessus slung his bow over his shoulder as he took up the contest bow, giving it a practice draw. It was more fragile than he was used to, with a weaker pull- he would have to be careful to avoid damaging it, and reaching the distance would be a bit harder than it would with his own.

Stepping one pace past the line, Nessus drew and notched his first arrow. He nodded toward the old elf, the other contestants, and the announcer. Focusing on his target, he lines up his shot, the arrow tip pointed skyward... and after a frozen moment, he let fly.

[roll0] Range attack with 2 rangebands of penalty, with a non-masterwork bow. (EDIT: misremembered my bonuses... add another +2)

The arrow arched down, impacting the tiny target over the great distance... barely. the arrow with red fletching impacted in the outermost ring.

Displeased, Nessus fired off his remaining arrows, trying to adjust for the vagrencies of weapon and weather.

Rakaydos
2013-09-11, 01:09 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Azoth
2013-09-11, 07:42 AM
As the group walks into the nearby stadium they can see they have missed the first volley of shots from a Gnoll contestant. The red arrows stick out of the target. One in the outer ring halfway to the middle ring, one at the edge of the bullseye, and a third just a hair off of right dead center.

The audience cheers mildly for the Gnoll, admitting his skill, but not much else.

As the next contestant steps up, the crowd roars up to life. Racial pride...what can ya do. He stands calm holding his bow as he looks down the range. You would think that he was scared to stone with how long he stands still, but his face is composed. In an instant he unleashes his volley into the target. The first arrow slams into the target low in the first zone, the next two hit the taget just outside the bullseye range from the underside...one of them is spilt halfway down its shaft. The kid managed to hit his own arrow.

For this alone the crowd becomes a deafening roar. The elfen male turns from the target and walks back to his starting place looking calm, but a dejected look fills his eyes.

The crowd begins to die down as an elderly elf begins to walk towards the weapon rack. His thin frame gnarled and twisted thin. His hair is white as snow and hangs in a single plait down to the midpoint of his calves. The robe of office he wears seems to swallow his body in itself, as if an attempt to hide his frailty. One would wonder if the man can even draw a bow, yet alone put an arrow down the range 300ft to such a small target.

BelGareth
2013-09-11, 02:42 PM
MaelDroth listens intently as the psiforged speak about what they are made of, it was a stark comparison to how a human or some other bipedal creature, how would they describe what they were made of?

He quickly pulled out some more vellum and started scratching away with his inkpen, writing thoughts, what the psiforged said and anything else down, he stopped and watched the archers, he was always interested by the aerodynamics of the arrow, and marveled at the accuracy some could achieve regardless of how the arrow seemed to shake and wobble when released.

He quickly began to sketch the archers, scribbling notes on their style and accuracy.

Rakaydos
2013-09-11, 02:52 PM
He quickly began to sketch the archers, scribbling notes on their style and accuracy.Oddly, the gnoll has an almost elven style of archery, far more so than the other contestants, earlier.

only1doug
2013-09-11, 04:59 PM
Stivan watches the second stage of the archery contest with interest.
The fact that the crowd's tensions had obviously been eased by the elven announcer allowing him to relax some of the tension from his large frame.
Yet he still projects a commanding presence across the crowd, tiny scales seeming to glitter under his bronzed skin lending him an inhuman air.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-11, 07:22 PM
Servant didn't need to elbow his way in to a good position in the crowd, he was tall enough that his eyes peered right over their heads. Like MaelDroth, he studied the archers' forms and watched the arc of the arrow in flight. They were certainly better than him, his hand always trembled just slightly at the peak of his draw, throwing off the course of any arrow he fired. He had never seen a Gnoll archer of any repute before, but this one was certainly doing well.

redmane
2013-09-11, 08:28 PM
Cobalt followed everyone mostly for the sake of going together, as archery wasn't in his area of interests at all. Sure, the long-range shots were impressive, and probably even deadly... for an unarmored humanoid, that is. But Cobalt could already see the potential issues with this kind of weaponry - well-crafted, angled armor could easily deflect the projectiles, and some more advanced creatures, such as adamantium-plated warforged - why, even his new friend Servant! - could just ignore the arrows, were they even raining from the sky. So, while the sight was impressive nonetheless, Cobalt much preferred his own ranged weaponry - a shaped acid blast. Not that he had much chance to try it out in any kind of real action, much less show it to anyone...

oyzar
2013-09-12, 12:12 AM
As they approach the stadium Fedora lets go off MaelDroths arm. "Your reactions are varied" she murmurs, trying to figure out why he reacts so differently to simply seeing her and to be dragged along. Fedora watches with interest. "I wonder how well I could do in the competition, with a bit of luck I might bee able to beat that. Still I wish I learned more about it simply by watching them as well. Bowshooting is not something you get better at without much practice though. As for practicing something, magic is what interests me the most for the moment. What about you MaelDroth? Are you any good at using weapons? Also, I don't know much about seers, what sort of abilities do you employ. Would be fun if I could learn such things as well, though it might be easier to just learn similar effects in magic."

Rakaydos
2013-09-12, 01:05 AM
Nessus bows to the elderly elf, making the proper elven gestures of respect. Setting the contest bow aside, he steps back toward the stands, reclaiming his own weapon.

Azoth
2013-09-12, 07:43 AM
The old elf smiles kindly to the other contestants before he takes up the bow and arrows. His smile seemingly genuin as he walks over to the shooting zone. Slowly, he places a white fletched arrow on the bow and begins to knock it back. His tired old arms seem to tremble as he forces himself to pull back on the string. Once he has it ready, he lets his smile fade as concentration takes over his face. A moment later he releases the arrow to fly down field and slam into the target. This process repeats for the next two shots. As he finishes, a smile grows over his face again when he looks to the target.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

One shot in the far edge of the outer ring. The next at the bullseye edge, and the third is right dead center.

Sorry for how long it took. These old bones can't quite work like they used too. Youngsters like you two can fire so much faster than I can it makes me miss the good old days. Heh Ha...though seems experience was on my side today boys!

He begins to slowly walk off back to the weapon wrack. His body taking seemingly forever to hobble along as he steps.

The referee motions for two elves to take the target away to be tallied as he clears his throat.

In just a moment we will have the target scored, and the two highest scores will advance to the final round. Before that is done, I do believe that it is safe to say that the noble Regent and the unknown contender...What's your name Gnoll? will be competing for the final prize. That is not to say that our very own Sir Hadrian has not done well. For he has brought great honor to his house by placing third in this festival event.

only1doug
2013-09-12, 09:35 AM
While the officials are scoring the targets Stivan spots an odd group; Two warforged, both of unusual construction are talking to a human couple.

"Now you don't see the likes of those everyday", he muttered to himself, "I wonder if they have anything interesting to say for themselves."

Stivan makes his way easily through the crowd, seeming to easily find a path through the thronging masses. Reaching the unusual foursome he introduces himself, "Hello, I'm Stivan."
Stivan is a very tall man, almost as tall as the larger of the two warforged. He is ruggedly handsome, with a distinctive chin that reminds people of every hero they have every imagined. Close examination reveals that the bronze tone on his skin isn't caused by a tan but is from tiny bronze scales protecting his flesh.

"I expect that you're tire of hearing it but you seem to be of unusual construction."
Stivan laughs softly, "I hope you don't mind my curiosity, If you prefer not to talk about your origin I completely understand."

Rakaydos
2013-09-13, 02:36 AM
Murmuring his name to the announcer, Nessus stepped over toward the regent. <Greetings, Eldest of the Grove, I am honored to demonstrate my skill in your presence.> he conveyed, in accented Elven.

BelGareth
2013-09-13, 11:43 AM
MealDroth seemingly ignores Fedora for a moment, but then as she starts asking him questions he is quick to respond.

"Oh no, I am not learned in the way of using weapons! haha, that would be....interesting, to say the least, no I am a student of the mind, Seer's? hey, well, as far as I know, there are several disciplines of the mind, foremost there are the Telepath's, who well, deal with the mind even moreso than most, they dabble in the uncreative school of Telepathy, then there is the Nomad's who are quite an interesting lot, their school is about travel, freedom and movement, they deal with the school of Psychoportation a quite apt name if I don't say so myself, then there is the Egoist's, one of my favorites, if not for the name, they are masters of self manipulation, they practice Psychometabolism, my other favorite are the Kineticist's, they are more than capable of equaling if not being better than most warmages, they are masters of energy and they are practitioners of the Psychokinesis school, then there are the Shaper's, for which one of our new friends here is a student, more apt in explaining it I would assume, they are the masters of shaping and crafting, capable of forging new things from nothing, they practice the Metacreativity school, and lastly, Seers, we are students of Clairsentience, seeing where we should not, knowing what others do not, our school is of the same name, unfortunately, we are as imaginative as the Telapth's are. I am able to see any place, as if I were there, as long as the place is known to me, say, for example, what was behind that shed." he points to a shed behind the contestants "Or I am able to manifest a limited precognition, it's very limited mind you, but it can give me a valuable insight into things, and one of my more potent abilities is to link two creatures together, binding their fate as one. But alas, I am still a student of the mind, still learning, still growing. Learn you said? Well, I am sure with your...intellect, you would be able to pick this stuff up in no time!"

redmane
2013-09-13, 12:18 PM
- Why so harsh treatment of Telepaths, and of your own discipline, to boot? - Cobalt was genuinely amused, not in the least by the strange choice of words MelDroth was using. "School", seriously? It was always "discipline"! This human must be a magic user, in addition to being a Seer... and his mind must be boiling from trying to converge such varying concepts in one head...

- I'd say that anyone capable of putting up such speech is creative, by default. We, warforged, though, aren't creative by design, but there are exceptions even to that rule, as Shaping discipline requires certain modicum of creativity.

Cobalt turned some of his attention towards the new arrival in the conversation. Why ask us if you do expect us to be tired of such questions already? - flashed a thought in his mind, and his reply was rather cold:

- Why, that's exactly what we're discussing - our origins. Feel free to stay and listen. Or you could tell us about yourself, to... break the pattern. Indeed, the very first thing everyone asks is our construction. I assure you, there's hardly anything special in it.

only1doug
2013-09-13, 12:58 PM
"My origin?", Stivan laughs again, "there is little of interest there, I come from a line of simple fishermen, from a small fishing village."

"my life only became interesting since I was saved by a dragon, and have since dedicated myself to emulating the awesome powers of his kin."

"now I spend my time searching for objects or places that can bring me a deeper connection to dragons."

BelGareth
2013-09-13, 01:13 PM
"Not harsh treatment Cobalt, merely observations of mine, It was merely in jest" he says with a smile and a slap on the constructs back which he immediately regret's

MaelDroth smiles at the new comer "Nothing interesting? Mayhap you should consider these fine folks point of view, there own lives may seem nothing of interest to them, but we obviously see them as interesting, perhaps, if you would, take a moment, and think that they are as normal as us, and you might see things as they truly are, indeed, they are." he smiles, happy with himself and the circular logic.

He raises an eybrow at the mention of dragons "Dragons heh? I could probably tell you a great deal on them, if you want, meet me at the library at sunset, and I'll tell you what I find."

oyzar
2013-09-13, 02:01 PM
Fedora claps her hands together in delight. "Wow, that's a nice overview of the topic MaelDroth. Looking into the future does sound quite useful. I guess your abilities are somewhat similar to that of a diviner then? As for linking people together, I have a spell that exchanges the place of people, maybe exchanging their fates. Not quite as romantic as your version though still useful."

She beams a smile at the newcomer. "My where are my manners. I am Fedora. It's a pleasure to meet you. As for dragons. That sounds, interesting, but also terribly dangerous. Dragons can be very powerful. Hmm, I suppose meeting a dragon would be interesting. I should aim to do that one day." As she smiles her hair litterally does sparkle in a various different colors. Her smile also gleams slightly.

She looks between Stivan and MaelDroth as she speaks further. "To know the difference between high and low, you have to experience them both. There is comfort in being sure and able about what you do at all times. That is not a life for me though. I want to see, experience and try out a great number of different things. You can not say you do not want to learn new things either MaelDroth. You do not strike me as the kind of person who would be content with just doing the same thing over and over without learning antyhing new."

only1doug
2013-09-13, 03:36 PM
"The library at sunset?", Stivan looks suprised, "You can't be planning to spend the last day of the festival buried in books!", Stivan's face becomes determined, "I won't hear of it, you must experience the festival tonight, not read of it in 50 years time."

Turning to Fedora he continues, "It's nice to meet you Miss Fedora."

"You agree with me don't you? We can't let your man here lock himself into the library all day!"

"Dragons can indeed be dangerous, certainly the shark that had been about to dine upon me was witness to that, but it is possible for other brings to take on aspects of their power, indeed we can surpass their abilities in some ways."

redmane
2013-09-13, 09:30 PM
- To the best of my knowledge, she doesn't agree with you... and neither do I, nor Servant. We all are heading to the library, for one reason or another. Sunset sounds like a good time for that, as festivities won't go much past dusk anyway.

only1doug
2013-09-14, 04:36 AM
Stivan stares at the taller warforged incredulously "The festivities won't go on past dusk?"

"Don't you know that tonight is the Grand feast? There will be a party such as hasn't been seen for a decade, I would be suprised if the festivities end much before dawn"

"No my Friends, tonight is a night of celebration, an event that has to be experienced in person, if you have the opportunity and you wish to go and spend the time amongst some dusty old books?"

redmane
2013-09-14, 06:11 AM
Cobalt met Stivan's stare with his own

- So... all there's to do tonight is eat? Why's that so special, you humanoids do it every day... pretty much, have to do it every day, to just sustain yourself?

AdamSmasher
2013-09-14, 09:40 AM
Servant had, thus far, only listened. That had been, and would continue to be, a recurring theme in his life. "Eating is a social catalyst. It is one of the only times in a given day when people are forced in to close proximity without work to do. Due to social conditioning, the feast will be the climax of the festival's revelry." But there would be... a party? He hadn't been to any parties. He hadn't even considered that people would stick around for long once the food was gone. "I will remain in the streets until the festivities are over." He was here, after all, to be social. The library was only for when there was nothing else to do.

BelGareth
2013-09-14, 10:08 AM
MaelDroth smiles as he watches the two forged interact and talk about feasting,

"A feast? Oh, well...I might have....to..." he says with an impish smile, turning to the forged "Eating as Servant quite aptly put it, is a large part of most humanoids, feasts are the social pinnacle of gatherings, it puts everyone on the same table, which is much more socially symbolic more so than the actual partaking of the food. We non'constructs love to eat, its close to sex and fighting, one of those three usually dominates our persona, but feasts well, they are useful to allow everyone to be on the same level, for the brief moment of eating and reveling in wine, beer, and wonderful food, every person partaking is equal, it was first established by the Gresankor Knights of old, human feifdoms who put everyone below them, it initially established their level above everyone below them, but since then has transformed into a sort of 'everyone is welcome and equal while we party'. If not for the food, you should come just for the experience or to observe, it will be a time you will not long forget and allow you to more easily assimilate non-construct ways of life." he pauses for a moment, not even out of breath "As I always say, the more you know, the smarter you are!"

redmane
2013-09-14, 01:45 PM
- Ah, I see... so the emphasis is on the social aspect of it, not the food consumption... which you humanoids must be already bored of.

Cobalt remembered the emotions on people's faces when they were digging into their tankards, and added:

- And I assume the food at the feast is of... higher than average quality? So the idea is to indulge oneself in the senses of taste, rather than just overflow one's digestive mechanism, correct?

oyzar
2013-09-14, 07:41 PM
"I did say earlier that it would be a waste to spend time in the library while this once in a decade event is going on. The library will still be there once the festival is over. With so many things to do, the rarest and most exciting get priority."

Fedora turns from Stivan to Cobalt. "Indeed, though I imagine there will be plenty of indulging all the senses during this party. Not everyone are as singular as MaelDroth suggests, it can be possible to enjoy all aspects of life. Maybe there will be fireworks or preformances which you find entertaining as well?"

Eventually she gets to looking at the bronzecolored human and remarks. "Is that scales under your skin? Are you actually human? You do look like one otherwise and a mighty handsome example at that."

only1doug
2013-09-15, 03:11 AM
Stivan looks amused,"Oh yes, I'm human"
"As I said I have been seeking ways to gain draconic powers for some time now, the scales are an indication that I have met with some success".
" many aspects of my powers are not fit for demonstration in this venue but allow me to demonstrate a small benefit that I can grant my allies", Stivan looks at the quartet that he is conversing with, seeming to search out their essence.
"for this to work you must trust me and I you, so those who are interested should make a deal and then shake my hand, for the duration of the festival we shall be allies and swear to treat each other as such."
"if you agree to this then you will find that while you are near me your senses will be enhanced, you will hear more clearly, see more sharply and react more quickly.
Stivan waits to clap hands with any who agree.

BelGareth
2013-09-15, 09:34 AM
MaelDroth eagerly shakes the man's hands, not even thinking for a second that it may be a bad idea.

redmane
2013-09-15, 12:58 PM
- I have no reason to treat you otherwise, - replied Cobalt, shaking hands. - No promises beyond the festival time, though.

oyzar
2013-09-15, 03:11 PM
Fedora looks slightly suspicious over at Stivan, she arches one eyebrow and says. "How do we know you are not trying to trick us into something wierd?" She looks at MaelDroth and Cobalt. "How can you be so trusting? Not everyone you meet are going to do exactly as they say they are doing. Do you have some way to know if he is speaking the truth? Oh well, now that you did it, maybe you can tell what effect it had."

AdamSmasher
2013-09-15, 04:48 PM
Servant, like Fedora, was more cautious. He wouldn't be a willing recipient of any unknown effects, and was surprised that a pair of learned psions would so quickly accept it with full knowledge of the wide range of unpleasant manifestations and spells that required either touch or will. It must be naivete, he may have fallen for the same thing fresh out of school. He turned his head to Cobalt. "How do you feel?"

only1doug
2013-09-15, 04:53 PM
Stivan laughes, "if i required a handshake for some nefarious purpose I would have set up a stall selling at a loss and shook hands with every sale."

redmane
2013-09-16, 10:05 AM
Cobalt tried to listen to his inner self for a while, before answering

- Can't say I feel anything special... But then again, my eyesight was never anything remarkable anyway. But if you're a draconic descendant, you must be on really good terms with treasures of any sort, as all dragons do. Guess that's what the sharpened senses are good for.

only1doug
2013-09-16, 10:23 AM
Stivan smiles, "I do have an affinity for items."

"I can generally tell the primary purpose of a magic item with just a few seconds of contact, If i prepare myself correctly",

Stivan mutters a quick few words, "龙主,授予我的视线视线之外.", accompanied by a mystical gesture, then squints, as if facing a bright light, "of course preparing oneself to see magical auras has drawbacks sometimes, no offense intended."

Draconic: "Bahmut, Lord of Dragons, Grant me sight beyond sight."

Azoth
2013-09-16, 05:22 PM
The old elf smiles fondly towards Nessus, "It is a pleasure just to get out and have some fun with the youngsters. Too long cooped up inside with only dusty relics like myself really makes one feel his age. Hoo hoo, good luck to you Nessus of the woods. Don't even think of taking it wasy on me now. Try your best to win this, and who knows, the prize might suit a young man like yourself better than I.

The booming voice returns, "As I predicted, our two finalists are the esteemed Regent Rohaayel and Nessus! For this final demonstration they will each fire a single arrow. However, for those not familiar, this shot holds life itself in its balance. No more hay targets here ladies and gentlemen! If their nerve is lacking or aim untrue, this next target could very well die before your eyes! I need not mention the shame such an act would bring to one's house...so without further ado let the competition's final round commence!'

Unlike before, the crowd was a hushed and silenced mass at this proclamation. Eyes darted across the field as a small elven girl in a flowing white dress walked across the field. It was a pale almost translucent white that blended well with her creamy skin. To any it was obvious this girl hadn't even reached the age where she would recieve her first moon's blood, yet she walked calmly to her position.

She stood only fifty feet from the two competitors. Close enough that the wind could kick up the faint scents of lavender and vanilla to Nessus. It was then that Nesses would notice the girl's hair hung in two braids right next to the sides of her neck. Each tied with a different colored ribbon. A quick look to the weapon's rack confirmed it. The fletchings of their arrows matched the colors of the ribbons. They were to shoot the braids from the girl's very own head.

Rohaayel looked to Nessus still smiling fondly, "You may shoot first my young friend. I hope your aim is true, for both of your sakes. May your god watch over you and guide your hand young warrior.

only1doug
2013-09-16, 05:33 PM
Stivan's smile disappears, replaced with a disapproving frown, "I don't like this at all, I hope they have taken hidden precautions to protect the child."

are we within 60' of the target for detect magic?

Rakaydos
2013-09-16, 06:24 PM
Nessus nodded absently, focusing on the target. Selecting an arrow and raising it to his own bow, he pauses, feeling the breeze on his fur, watching the waving of the braids in the breeze, gauging where the braid woud be in the moments it would take an arrow to cross the field.

He stood there, frozen, bow unpulled, for ten seconds, for twenty... and then in a fluid motion, the Gnoll drew back, aiming... and then released.

[roll0] with Precision Shot

redmane
2013-09-16, 07:04 PM
- Festivities and joy, you said? - mumbled Cobalt, moving towards what appeared to be a fancy execution. These humanoids sometimes have very strange ideas about entertainment. For some reason, he was sure the elf would miss - there's no way such frail body could harbor such precision. Fortunately, the warforged had something in mind for the occasion...

AdamSmasher
2013-09-16, 07:35 PM
"Surely they must have a medic on hand?" Servant didn't like to assume. He moved with Cobalt, the psiforged's larger frame simultaneously impeding and expediting his process through the crowd. He needed a larger hole, but people were likewise more apt to move out of his way. "Excuse me, pardon me, excuse me, apologies."

BelGareth
2013-09-16, 07:42 PM
MaelDroth smiles as the affect takes hold, his vision seeming to zoom out and then back in as his eyes and brain reacted to cope with the new affect.

"Ah yes, intriguing, very nice...I can see....much more detail than before, very curious." looking at Stivan while talks about items of magic he nods "I too am able to identify items, but I require a focus...I am assuming you need no requirement?"

He stops short from awaiting his answer as the young girl walks out after the announcement and the whole crowd, including the group takes note and hushes as she walks out to be targeted upon.

MaleDroth's mouth opens but nothing comes out for a good while "But..." is all he can muster, the usually verbose young man is stumped, scratching his head he looks around and can see others are similarly affected "Why, this almost seems like a ruse to force a quarrel among the races which is opposed the to the whole festival....this seems....not normal..." his eyebrows raised and pulls out a book and beings reading it fervently, as if the knowledge therein could save the girls life.

Pulls out his Tome of worldly things and researches the history of this particular event.
+5 competence bonus to k checks.
[roll0]
He'll use his Psychic Knowledge (bardic knowledge) [roll1]

oyzar
2013-09-17, 01:01 AM
Fedora finally grabs Stivans hand just as his attention turns towards the little girl. "If all this does is make you able to see better, that sure would be nice right this instance." Her slender hand, once she has decided, reaches out surely to grab his. It is almost drowned out in his larger hand. So warm, almost as if fire dwells within him. Maybe he truly has aquired the power of dragons.

She looks quickly around at the others. "I agree that it would not be nice if the poor little girl got hurt, however this sure is a whole lot more exciting than just hitting some dull wooden targets right? Though they probably have a plan in case she gets hit. This is a preformance in those watching and it certainly looks like it works." Fedora's eyes gleam with excitement, suddenly much more interested in the contest going on. "MaelDroth, this is not the time for books."

only1doug
2013-09-17, 02:14 AM
Stivan mutters, "Closer, I must get closer!", then joins the warforged racing through the crowd to get to within 30' of the living target, hoping that the old Elf will again delay before taking his shot. Retaining Fedora's hand in his grasp, he barely notices any resistance as he pulls her along with him.

Stivan extends his goodwill toward the Elven child, willing health and wellbeing toward her frail form.

Aura changed to vigor, if I can get to within 30' and she isn't killed outright by the Elf's shot then she will receive fasthealing 2 until she is back at 1/2 hitpoints. No effect if above half hitpoints. Everyone looses the +2 spot, listen and initative bonus.

Azoth
2013-09-18, 08:36 AM
Nessus' shot fires true and slices the girl's hair just under the ribbon. The braid falls to the ground limply as the girl stands still stone faced and calm.

The regeant moves to pick up his arrow. His old bones taking just as long as before to ready the bow. His hand shaking as it tries to hold the wood steady against the strain of drawing the arrow back.

His attention momentarily shaken as a group in the stands is causing a ruckous trying to approach them. Turning back, he closes one eye and licks his lips before drawing a deep breath and releasing his shot.

[roll0]

The shot drops low on its flight as it nears the girl. The arrow severs her braid right on her shoulder cap. As the hair falls free, a thin red line appears on the girls clothing. Nothing more than a scratch, but it causes the old elf to simply drop his bow to the ground where he stood as a look of disbelief and panic begins to grow across his face.

The stands erupt in outrage over the wound, and the elven members seem to have shouts torn between wanting retribution from the regeant, and blaming the disturbance for the poor shot.

The announcer's voice booms out again, but can barely be heard over the shouts from the stands.The winner of the Summer's End Archery Competition is Nessus the Gnoll. Please pay your respects to our champion, and prepare to see the graciousness of our Lord King bestowed upon him this very eve at the Grand Fea...Ow! Guards!!!

It would seem some spectators are a fair aim with both wine goblet and ale tankard alike, as the announcer is hit in the face and chest in rapid succession. Objects are now flying like debris in a maelstrom down onto the field of competition. The only safe place seems to be the young girl, who is gingerly examining her wound like a curious child would a new discovery.

Regent Rohaayel, merely stands awestruck as he gets pelted with food and drink. Not raising a single limb to defend himself, as if accepting his fate. Though Nessus can clearly see the old elf is still in shock.

All of you can sense that in mere moments this uproar will turn into a full on riot if something is not done. You can hear the clang of armor and shield in motion off in the distance, but no telling how close it is over the roar of the crowd.

only1doug
2013-09-18, 10:37 AM
Stivan continues pressing forwards, determined that the elven child would not be endangered by the sudden turn in the crowd's mood, "we must get closer to protect the girl", Stivan hesitates, then continues a bit more reluctantly, "and the regent also."

AdamSmasher
2013-09-18, 10:49 AM
Servant stops in his tracks. He certainly hadn't intended to make that much of a disturbance. He said 'excuse me' with all the proper courtesies and everything. Seeing the arrow fly and sever the braid, he was immediately relieved. In fact, he looked around in confusion as the crowd began to react. Was it because he lost to a Gnoll? The girl was wounded? She couldn't possibly be, she wasn't even hit.

Seeing the riot impending, Servant knew he needed to do something quickly. Having no real grasp of his new allies abilities, he acted alone. As he always had. He thought, hard, about what he knew of people. In a crowd like this, they fed off of each others emotions. It created a positive feedback loop of destructive intent. There were too many people for him to charm one or two at a time, so instead he would have to cut off that destructive impetus in a different way.

He focused on the sound of the crowd, the angry rumbling of voices throwing jeers and taunts. The sound of riot. He focused on that sound, then he accessed the pool of psionic energy in his mind, and then he suppressed it. He took the crowd's angry jeers and lowered it to a quiet whisper. With any luck, that would stop their feedback loop. They would cease to be able to act as a crowd, and would instead become a mass of individuals with each feeling alone and cut off from the rest. They would be confused, at first, but their silence would need to be filled with something.

He spoke up, his raised voice carrying quite well over the whispering crowd. "Please, lets calm ourselves. This festival is a time of peace and joy. She is in no danger, and the Regent meant her no harm. To act now, in this place, would disgrace us all." Speaking as an insider, rather than an outsider would make them more likely to listen. Appealing to their sense of appropriateness would give his words more weight. Making them reassess the situation, and see that there is no malice, would shave a little edge off of their anger. Reminding them of their honor should strike the greatest blow. But it needed one final touch. "Let justice be done honorably." Hopefully, that would be the final nail. A sense of closure, even if it may damn the Regent in the future. His life was a small price to pay to avoid violence today. They would stop, and refocus their thoughts from immediate revenge to seeing him punished properly, crime or not.

Actions:
Manifest Control Sound (3PP) to suppress the roil of the crowd.
Diplomacy check, with Cunning Knowledge, to calm the crowd. [roll0]
If you'll allow the very cheesy move of having his Unseen Servant use Aid Another on that diplomacy roll, here's it's attempt to give him a +2 bonus. [roll1]

redmane
2013-09-18, 12:50 PM
Well, alike creatures do think alike, too, - a thought flashed in Cobalt's head, as he saw Servant coming up with the same idea he himself did. It was good he, Cobalt, didn't have time to get in range to fire his own power, as the old elf, surprisingly, managed his shot just fine. Yet he was facing stuff thrown at him nevertheless. Silly humanoids. Well, the regent will have to endure the tankards, but if anything more serious comes up, he'll have to be isolated from the crowd... perhaps forcefully.

BelGareth
2013-09-18, 01:11 PM
MaelDroth finishes reading the last passage of the book

"...prefer suicide to absolve their houses shame..." Oh dear he thought, oh dear oh dear

He snapped the book shut and ran towards the new found friends, who were seemingly trying to protect..who? Servant and Cobalt looked like they were trying to quell the crowd, a lofty goal and one he hoped work, but the others, he wasn't sure.

He ran to them yelling "DO NOT PROTECT THE REGENT, DO NOT PROTECT HIM!", oblivious that his yelling would soon be reduced to a low murmur...

Rakaydos
2013-09-18, 02:57 PM
Judging the female to be alright for now, Nessus looked to the regent, being attacked by his own people. Not understanding, he stepped over, reaching out a paw to the Regent. "Perhaps you should be moving, Sir."

Azoth
2013-09-18, 03:00 PM
The roar of the crowd suddenly falls to a low murmur before Servant's speech rises above them. His heartfelt (fluid pump felt?) words spread over the crowd, and seem to have his desired effect upon them. This is until he looks closer and sees the only spectators that are calming are those of the non elven variety. The Elves in the stands seem to grow even more outraged that an outsider would step into things he knows not.

MaelDroth's words sound as if choked in his throat as he tries to warn the warfoged not to interfere.

The sound of armor and shield clashing grows nearer still. In this imposed silence it sounds as if they will bare down upon the crowd any second now.

only1doug
2013-09-19, 04:55 AM
Stivan pauses, the crowd's quiet fooling him into thinking that all is now under control.

redmane
2013-09-19, 08:51 AM
Cobalt's bulky frame stood as a statue, his near-sighted indigo eyes desperately trying to scan the crowd for any signs of aggression towards the regent...

Ready action: Ectoplasmic Cocoon on anyone trying to harm the regent. This doesn't include stuff like flying tankards, of course, but only actual harmful actions

BelGareth
2013-09-19, 11:20 AM
MaelDroth continues to move through the crowd towards the constructs and other persons near the Regent.

He continues to yell, this time in Draconic "zexenuma dout cha'sidic, yth shilta ti step persvek!"
stay your hands, we cannot step in!

Hoping that at least they would pay attention to him, if not fully understand him.

Azoth
2013-09-20, 11:17 AM
As MaelDroth yells again the rising sound of armor fades from earshot in the hushed murmur of the crowd. Armed and armored Elves file into the stands. Their mithral armor shining impecably in the late morning sun. They begin to make short work of rounding on the spectators hurling debris at the Regent.

It is at this moment you can see the Regent drop to a knee. His voice booming clear even in the quieted zone of Servant's creation. I, Regent Rohaayel, offer my life as recompense for horrorible misdead carried out upon the royal family by my own hand. My life forfeit now for the sake of my house. Mercy befall them for they knew not my tresspass until it came to be. I know my existance is not much offering, but I hope the royal family will see fit to grant mercy and forgiveness unto them, and now I pay the price for my asking. A life volunteered and freely offered, even though it lacks honor or dignity, may it be enough.

As he speaks, he strips from himself the torcs of his office and throws them aside. Next are the torcs of his house. Finally, he draws his dagger and severs his own braid before letting it fall to the pile.

With a slow, ragged breath he raises the dagger and stares at its tip. A moment's hesitation as only Nessus is close enough to hear him whisper, Forgive me...

Then the dagger sped towards his own heart with speed and conviction beyond his years...only to be halted by weaving strands of ectoplasm. He struggled for a moment against them as they continued to appear and entwine themselves around him. In only the span of a breath, the Regeant known as Rohaayel was beyond sight just a shadowed mass. His body held immobile by the cocoon of ectoplasm woven around him.

Your readied action triggered. Ectoplasmic Cocoon on anyone who attempted to harm the Regeant beyond throwing ale tankards/wine glasses at him.

The crowd falls to stunned silence at this display. They can not fathom who would deny this man an honorable death, and by extention damn his house to even more shame than it had already suffered. Even the city guard stand still as statues. It as if time has frozen this one instant for all to see.

redmane
2013-09-20, 03:16 PM
Judging by the crowd's reaction, there was something wrong, in a major way - but Cobalt was unsure as to what exactly. Probably some strange humanoid customs again. Whatever, he thought. He was taught to always assist a humanoid, unless one was explicitly hostile, and he wasn't going to change this rule just because of some silly elven intrigues. Who knows, maybe the old elf was under mental influence? After all, humanoids generally value their life above all else - or at least that was the case with everyone he knew so far - so let's give the old man a chance to think this through; after all, he doesn't even look that old.

For now, he decided to simply wait; the situation was too complex to analyse, he needed more time and information.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-20, 04:06 PM
If he could, Servant would have breathed a sigh of relief as the elf began the process of taking his own life, allowing his speech to rise above the whisper of the crowd. That would sate them, he hoped. His options in this scenario had run dry. He would account for racial prejudice more strongly next time he chose to act; he lamented his need to account for such a superfluous variable. When the cocoon prevented the suicide, his mind began spinning again. Who had done that? Cobalt? Mael'Droth? One of the several hundred other potential psions present?

That was not good. Racial tensions would be inflamed if they discovered an outsider interfered. Accounting for prejudice, he himself was likely the top suspect due to his earlier interference. If he could be tried an examined by another psion, they could see that he did not possess that power. He was not, however, confident in his ability to be tried while at the mercy of a riot.

He weighed his options. He could keep the crowd hushed, and hopefully continue to keep their rage and mob instinct at bay, or he could let them roar again and use a second power to improve his odds for escape.

Sense Motive, before I decide my standard action, to give me an idea of the exact mindset of the crowd. Are a lot of people staring at Servant? Do they look super angry?
[roll0]

only1doug
2013-09-20, 04:15 PM
Shocked by the course of events, Stivan stops trying to go anywhere and passively waits for further events to unfold. exchanging his ability to heal others for an increase to their sensitivity.
Aura changed: Senses; allies within 30' gain: +2 to spot, listen & initiative

Rakaydos
2013-09-20, 05:50 PM
HEaring the regent's cries of shame, Nesses was not suprised by the suicide attempt- he was no stranger to honor. As magic bindings enveloped him, however, and the crowd froze, he was confused as any other. Finally, he turned to the elf- no longer regent, stripped of his house and position. "I do not know what is happeneing," he called in Elven. "But if you are unable to finish the deed yourself, by no fault of your own, I would be honored to assist you in any way I can." With the last, Nessus took his bow in hand taking an arrow from his own personal quivver, adding it's own emphasis to his offer.

oyzar
2013-09-20, 06:11 PM
Fedora watches the display, not angry at the harm like the elves, nor fearful that anyone might get hurt. She is simply enjoying this unusual occasion that created the chaos. I wonder if one of those Warforged from earlier did that. She slips away from Stivan who seems focused on the girl and regent. Instead she heads over to MaelDroth whom she heard shouting the same thing in several languages earlier. She has a slight smile on her face before she yells at him. "Why should the Regent not be protected? Seems like someone did anyway. Do you know the reason behinnd this uproar? This does not seem like an everyday occurence.What's happening certainly sets your blood boiling doesn't it?" To be heard over the crowd and magical silence she is yelling right in his face. Though anyone nearby can probably hear as well.

Azoth
2013-09-24, 12:29 PM
The crowd's stunned disposition begins to fade away with each passing second. Their anger and outrage renwed tenfold as they begin to fight amongst themselves. The elves themselves brandishing weapons as they turn to one another with muted accusation. Others begin shifting and bracing themselves to call forth power not of arms, but of a variety most of the group recognize in one fashion or another as magical.

The guards who had seemed dutiful and subdued until a moment ago began to draw forth their weapons. Not the ones of office during the festival meant to subdue, but of their house with intent to kill written plainly on their faces. Dutry to the city falling to their duty to house.

The girl that had seemed forgotten in this moment of anger and intensity moved her hand away from where a moment ago lie a shallow wound. Now there was just pale cream colored skin. The only testament to the wound was the red on her dress. She walked forward towards the Regent calmly as she had taken the field for the contest.

Her small body looked even more miniscule next to Nessus. He delicate hand moved to stay his bow arm as she looked to the Regent's current condition. Her voice quite and mute as spoke, but carried like a song bird's chirp to Nessus. There is no need. He will pay his price in due time. He is the only one who can restore what he has lost. Your intentions noble, but would only further shame him and his house.

She looked to the crowd and its imminent oproar before touching a thin chain on her neck and raising the seal of her house for the crowd to see. It began to glow a warm green for a moment before its sigil was cast into the sky large enough for all to see clearly.

The crowd's uproar halted as if they had been frozen for the second time that day. She began to speak, but after only a few words realized her voice would not carry to the crowd due to the affects of another. A look of iritation spread over her face, but she could not do much but wait to be heard. A realization that made her placid face show more annoyance with each passing second.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-24, 04:15 PM
Servant, upon seeing the weapons draw, begins to back up through the crowd. He did not want to be here, the situation was now entirely out of his control. When the young girl raised her seal and the crowd abruptly stopped, Servant alters his power to allow her voice to shine through as he had done for his own. Given its ineffectiveness so far, he drops the silencing of the crowd altogether. He, instead, stands still and respectfully listens to what she has to say, while planning contingencies for the possible outcomes.

Rakaydos
2013-09-24, 10:58 PM
Slinging his bow again, Nessus turned to face the croud watching as the heir prepared to speak. But as her voice fails to carry, he chose to try his own more seasoned voice.

"Let the princess speak, you jacked asses!" he bellows.

only1doug
2013-09-25, 04:38 AM
Stivan waits to hear the girls words, hoping she would be able to resolve the situation before it becomes worse.

Change aura: presence, give the girl +2 to bluff, diplomacy and intimidate

Azoth
2013-09-26, 02:50 PM
As the crowd regains its sense of hearing and ambient noise fills the area once again the small girl readies herself to speak. A soft voice that seems almost frail fills the ears of all present.

My people, calm your heads and sheath your anger. Those who have performed this grave insult surely were not of our kind. They are foreign and unaware of the customs with which we live. That is the only reason that I can fathom for this most detestable action of denying our former Regent Rohaayel an honorable death.

Though they acted with noble intention, I would ask those who interfered to cease their actions. We do not interfere in your customs, so as you should not interfere in ours.

The crowd moved to shout in agreement, but her hand cut them off before it could even begin to roar up.

As for my own people, you have brought shame upon us all. Each house has lost honor here today. Look at your treatment of the former Regent. Descending upon him like a pack of rabbid dogs before he had time enough to decide his fate. You were well on your way to executing him, when that right is mine alone. I urge you all to consider how you portray not only your house, but our race to these visitors.

If this were not a public event for all peoples, the remained of the festivities would be cancelled. Seeing as you have displayed that you are all underserving of these joyous times. This matter will be handled at an All Council meeting tomorrow. May the gods grant you the mercy your houses will not.

With that she fell silent and began to make her way out of the stadium.

The crowd torn between looks of worry, sadness, and fear from its elven populace. Other races saw fit now to make jokes of children being punished by mommy as they made their way out now that the excitement was over. The Elven peoples pride suffering the insults as the dared not raise the ire of the princess any higher. Though hatred and anger burned intensely in their eyes.

AdamSmasher
2013-09-26, 02:59 PM
If Servant could have smiled, he would have. At such a young age she already showed the type of patience and understanding that was often so lacking in interracial relationships. If that young girl could become ruler, the world might just be a little bit better.

BelGareth
2013-09-26, 03:57 PM
MaelDroth ended his screaming as everything blew up before him.

He had heard of powers that encompassed the body in a invisible field.

He wished he knew how to manifest one right now...

Turning to Fedora he nods, breathlessly "Yes, it is the tradition. A strong one by the looks of it. If you cause any harm to the next ruler, is a...." How do I put it? "terrible accident, which causes extreme dishonor to their house. The only means of removing this shame is to commit suicide..." he stops and looks at the used-to-be-regent with sad eyes "Anyone interfering with this, causes only more shame onto that house and the regent...."

He stops and turns to watch, amazed that he is within such a historical moment as this, he withheld the urge to pull out his paper and write...

oyzar
2013-09-26, 04:50 PM
Fedora gets a thoughtful expression on her face. "It's interesting to experience such an unique event here." Then her expression turns sader. "Though it's a bit sad that someone has to suffer such a loss of somethinng that is obviously important to them. It's said that to differentiate better between highs and lows in life you have to experoience both, but I certainly hope that I will never feel like I would want to kill myself."

redmane
2013-09-27, 09:50 AM
The power's duration long expired, the weaving strands of mist have dissipated just as suddenly as they appeared, and Cobalt sighed, looking at the heap of a man that collapsed down as a result. Yes, the girl is right. If such are their rules, he should abide. It's a pity that no one explained it to him beforehand, but still, a gift of a few more moments of existence should outweigh any damage to that strange humanoid thing called "pride". Yes, and another one, called "honor" - Cobalt wondered whether the two are related.

5 rounds = 30 seconds. By my account, these should have already passed

only1doug
2013-09-27, 10:13 AM
Stivan is dismayed by the behaviour of members of the crowd who mock the elves for their loss of face in front of their leader.

Where is the nobility of spirit, he thinks to himself, To taunt those who have just seen their future queen injured and their present leader deposed, where is their empathy?

Stivan's handsome face changes expression, a stern visage that would put a tremble of fear into the soul of any person foolish enough to consider disturbing his contemplation.

Detect magic is still running, Stivan focuses the detection ability on the old elf, was his mistake caused magically perhaps?

oyzar
2013-09-27, 11:43 AM
Fedora does not stay down for long. Her face brights up a bit as she grabs MaelDroth and starts dragging him through the crowd again. Again he is pressed against her lightly clothed body as the throng of people force them to stay close together to avoid getting separated. "Let's not dwell over what has happened too much. We can't change it now. Instead let's go interview the winner. Seems like he took quite the risk by participating. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say." She hurries through the crowd to speak with the gnoll. "Surely you can't turn down a chance to hear his story?" Fedora is all smiles again, the dishonored elf not worrying her overly much.

BelGareth
2013-09-27, 05:27 PM
MaelDroth smiles as Fedora pulls him along.

"Yes! I would love to talk to the winner, a first hand impression would be amazing for my journal tonight!"

He walks with her to the gnoll archer, "Ah, the Victor, how do feel after winning?"

Rakaydos
2013-09-30, 03:34 PM
Nessus looked down at the Human. "I would not choose to take the regent's life for my victory, but I have done well by my tutors and trainers."

(sorry for the delay)

Azoth
2013-10-02, 11:27 AM
As the commotion comes to its end, their is an air of sadness about the event. Even the warforged are capable of percieving this gulf of emotion. The strands of ectoplasm unravvel to show the former Regent, and as quietly as an owl in flight he slips the dagger into his brest before he can be stopped again.

A handful of elven men appear seemingly from nowhere at his side. Their own torcs depicting his abandoned house. They stand with backs to you in complete silence for a moment before lifting his body and moving to vanish again. A silent moment of final thoughts for their lost brother is all the grieving he will never know.

Your group slowly files out of the stands back to the throng of revelers amidst their celebrations. While still crowded beyond imagination, the jubilance seems to have begun to wane from the elven participants.

While none will say or show it, the evidence is obvious that even amongst the other houses Rohaayel was loved.

The other festival goers seem to not take much notice or care of this. They still drink and offer displays as grandly as they had before for some time.

When the sun begins to set, the booths and performers seems to start to trickle out from the streets back to the inns and their homes. Preparations for the feast now quickly showing on their minds. Only a few remain scurrying about trying to buy last minute items to complete their wardrobes for the event.

Night seems to rush upon you as you all prepare yourselves for the evening's festivities.

The hall of the castle is awe inspiring to say the least. The floors and walls seemingly made from one massive piece of black marble its veining looks as if a mural of silver was painstaking etched into it as it formed.

Paintings taller than a giant adorn the walls depicting the kingdom's history, though they can not truly be called paintings. They lack pigment and ink. In the material's stead are strands of magic showing the scenes in ever shifting motion. Scenes of battle moving with the tide of conflict, the city rising up from a simple field of grass, the rulers portrait changing in line of succession.

A rainbow of light flutters about the hall over head drawing eyes upwards as small orbs of bright light move as if familiar dancers across the sky. The roof of this room still shrowded in darkness even with these bright lights.

Moving through thee room treats one to a variety of scents and sounds. Each great house has its own performers playing to their orders. While most have settled on light hearted diddies or muted ballads one plays a solemn dirge.

Those moving about are marvels of beauty in their own rights. All here are dressed to impress. Each race's idea of noble dress is represented here. Orc tribesmen wear finely tailored skins of beasts most have never seen, and are quick to boast how deadly the animal was to kill. Dwarven men have their beards braided in designs that make one wonder how it is possible to weave hair in such a manner, and their braids adorned with rare stone and precious metals to accent their stature.

The elven men walk around in silk pleated pants in their house colors with their chests bare. The torcs of family and office displayed proudly for all to see. Their hair in elaborate styles denoting their ranks and stature. The elven women in gowns of silver and gold decorate with precious stones. The material on close inspection reveals the colors to be from strands of the metals themselves woven like cloth.

Tables spanning lengths longer than houses are piled high with foods unimaginable. Their sights and aromas enough to make even some warforged wish they could enjoy eating.

With a loud clearing of throat all eyes are drawn to the far wall. A raised table sits as the backdrop for an Elven man holding ar goblet of platinum and diamond into the air. His voice rolling out warm as a father's hug and sweet as honeyed wine,

"I welcome you all into my home. This evening we celebrate more than end of a season. Yes, this night we celebrate eachother. Over the past week, we have seen that even without any reason at all, all the races have been able to exist in peace.

While not every moment has been joyous, it has been a week of celebration and peace. The first we have known in far too long. So I offer toast to this being the beginning of a time where all races can call on one another as brothers and sisters again.

I also offer this toast in memmory to those we have all lost in recent times. No life is more sacred than the one loved and lost by those left behind. May we all remember our friends and kin in the best of lights, and cherish them. May we banish the darkness associated with their passing and walk forward into a shining future. One all of can hold our heads high in...one worth the sacrifice and loss we all know and feel deep within our hearts.

Now, I ask all you, cast off this darkness and join me in this night as brothers! May we all revel in one another and enjoy this night as if it were our last. Let the feast begin!"

only1doug
2013-10-03, 09:39 AM
As the feasting begins in earnest Stivan begins to circulate through the Hall, taking a tidbit here and a nibble there he samples the varied delicacies.
He stops and listens to a performance that catches his ear, the only melancholy sound in the great hall, a dirge played by a great house.

Stivan makes no comment as he solemnly listens to the performance.

Stivan extends his aura to anyone he knows (and doesn't actively dislike)
Aura is currently: Senses +2

Rakaydos
2013-10-05, 01:23 PM
Nessus stands over the croud, mildly discomfeted by the milling herd - unused to so many people swarming at once. Finding a corner near the tables, he nibbles on some snacks.

AdamSmasher
2013-10-05, 02:02 PM
Servant sat with a brand new group of acquaintances in the dining hall. He had disappeared during the archery competition affair, making sure that he was nowhere to be found while any lingering tensions might still be focused on him. Now, in the feasting hall, he was seated among a small group of gnomes. As they laughed and drank, he sat quietly among them and occasionally chimed in when one slapped him on the back.

After the elven king speaks, his table becomes a flurry of activity as Servant is bombarded with questions, questions he frantically tries to answer one at a time.

BelGareth
2013-10-05, 02:15 PM
MaleDroth sits down to watch and listen to the myriad of songs, taking a plate of food and drink, he tops off his decanter with some ginger laced tangerine wine and stands to the toast.

He manifests psionic tongues

Saluting to the Elven king he doffs his drink and sits, taking some candied potato mash, licorice gravy, wild mushroom stuff with rabbits in leek jelly a brahmin steak and potato pie spiced with lemon and sage.

He digs in ferociously, taking a like mindedness to the dwarves near him. Once he takes his fill, and his belly has extended a few more inches, he calms down, takes some warmed spice wine and listens to the elves, hearing their revelry in their language just as much as in their body movements and eating habits.

redmane
2013-10-05, 04:35 PM
Cobalt decided that it's more than enough of his initiative for the day, and so he tagged along with Servant and the others, trying to keep low profile. Now he was sitting among this new group of acquaintances in the feast hall, and was mostly observing the act of food and drink consumption, still wondering what's so exciting that humanoids are finding in such mundane act...

oyzar
2013-10-10, 01:10 AM
Fedora can not sit still with so many different people, foods and sights around. She'll wander the hall, picking up a morcel of food there, a glass here and other things from various plates and platters. She partakes in dances and games scattered around the hall, but never for long with the same person. Her grace and wit leads her to seek interesting conversations as well as festivities. A magic user is more interesting than a hulking brute.

only1doug
2013-10-11, 03:23 AM
Stivan moves on from the melancholy music, seeking brighter fare for his ears.

Circulating through the grand hall, he recognises a tall blue warforged that he had met earlier the same day.

"hello again, I'm afraid that in the earlier excitement we never got to proper introductions. I think I heard one of your friends call you Cobalt? I am Stivan."

"Do you see now what I meant about the feast? Each of the noble houses vying to display its wealth with fine performances and choice viands."

Stivan waves his arm, encompassing the entirety of the hall, "surely you cannot deny the spectacle displayed makes this a truly memorable event."

Still projecting the Senses aura, everyone is better at seeing and listening.

Rakaydos
2013-10-11, 11:15 PM
As Fedora works her way around, she spys the towering beastman archer from before, looking acutely uncomfortble- about to dismiss him as just one more brute, you catch a flash of magic as he prepares his own plate of sweetmeats.

Detect poison on the banquet- fiating Fedora's detection to give her a reason to come over.

Azoth
2013-10-15, 02:56 PM
As the festivities begin to truly get underway, and everyone seems to be thoroughly enjoying themselves is some fashion or another a loud distinct noise rings over the din of the crowd. A booming Thwoom! followed by a sickening Craaack.

As eyes turn to look for the sources of the sounds they would eventually settle on the image of the young heiress of the kingdom nailed to her seat by a crossbow bolt.

A voice booms out with palpable feeling of uncontained rage, "Bring me whoever did this! I want the son of bitch alive so that I can kill him myself! A kings ransom for the bastard alive!"

only1doug
2013-10-15, 03:48 PM
Stivan looks around for any potential location of the assassin, looking amongst the rafters for hidden crossbowmen.

see invisible is still active.
Spot check [roll0]
Senses aura is still active for +2 to anyone within 30' of Stivan.

Rakaydos
2013-10-16, 04:33 PM
The large booming noise jolting nessus into action, he swung around toward the source, , ears swiviling like radar dishes , nose flairing as he took in the scent.

[roll0] listen

oyzar
2013-10-17, 01:09 AM
Fedora look around as the others, but as much for the crossbow wielder as for the victim. Assuming she does not see anything she walks calmly over to the hit girl.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

AdamSmasher
2013-10-18, 11:05 AM
Servant is, at first, almost completely unaware of the attack. He mistook the sounds for dishes dropping on some far end of the room. As the crowd slowly falls silent, his eyes follow theirs across the room to see the young elf heiress pinned against her chair by a crossbow bolt.

That was bad. Who would attack her? Perhaps a disparate party in the elven kingdom or alliances that did not like her family? One that did not like her politics? Could it have been any enemy of the elves seeking to disrupt them to make them vulnerable for attack? Was it someone attempting to incite a war, using this sacred festival to fuel the fires of their rage? That was almost certainly it. He had a strong suspicion that a 'shooter', or evidence of one, would be found soon and it would lead the elves to an obvious enemy. There was likely a setup brewing here, one that would crush any hopes of racial peace this generation.

Servant didn't know how to stop it.

BelGareth
2013-10-18, 02:59 PM
MaleDroth was full, too full in fact and his eyes were beginning to close on him as he took in the evening to its fullest.

But then they opened with the speed of a crossbow bolt.

Standing, his mouth agape, he stood in shock at the sight before him, someone had shot the young heiress....he couldn't believe it...he was frozen with fear and anger, distraught by the very presence of a dead body, freshly skewered upon a deadly bolt of doom.