PDA

View Full Version : Help quick please! Monster Masquerade mechanics!

tigmades
2013-09-05, 08:07 PM
Hi wise people ;)

Currently in my campaign my party is to attend a monster masquerade to steal "The Devil's Eye" jewel from another attendee. All guests are transformed to look like a monster - but I don't know quite how to do it. I could:

1) Make it so it's just physical appearance.... but where's the fun in that?

2) It would be awesome so they get handed a new char sheet of their "monster equivalent", losing all abilities and gaining all new ones depending on monster. This would be fun but easy for some to be more powerful than others.

3) Combine them: keep their original abilities but gain all/some of those of their monster.

They are around level 7: a warblade mephling, a shadow caster raptoran, a cleric minotaur and a beguiler fey'ri.

I don't know yet whether or not the acquiring of said gem will involve stealing or fighting - it's up to how the players decide to handle things, but it could turn bad, fast, depending on the above.

Suggestions? Even of a balanced set of monsters?

<3 thank you! The d&d session is tomorrow.

Galvin
2013-09-05, 09:35 PM
I would recommend using the standard guidlelines for Polymorph or Polymorph any Object.

Jack_Simth
2013-09-05, 09:46 PM
Hi wise people ;)

Currently in my campaign my party is to attend a monster masquerade to steal "The Devil's Eye" jewel from another attendee. All guests are transformed to look like a monster - but I don't know quite how to do it. I could:

1) Make it so it's just physical appearance.... but where's the fun in that?

2) It would be awesome so they get handed a new char sheet of their "monster equivalent", losing all abilities and gaining all new ones depending on monster. This would be fun but easy for some to be more powerful than others.

3) Combine them: keep their original abilities but gain all/some of those of their monster.

They are around level 7: a warblade mephling, a shadow caster raptoran, a cleric minotaur and a beguiler fey'ri.

I don't know yet whether or not the acquiring of said gem will involve stealing or fighting - it's up to how the players decide to handle things, but it could turn bad, fast, depending on the above.

Suggestions? Even of a balanced set of monsters?

<3 thank you! The d&d session is tomorrow.

The party favors are Rings of Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm). When the command word is spoken by the wearer, each ring causes the wearer to turn into a specific beast (chosen when the ring is created) until the wearer speaks the command word again.

They act just like Polymorph, except it doesn't wear off until the wearer speaks the Command Word again.

If you want to add a bit of a twist, 'accidentally' give the party one or two rings of some powerful beast that several of them will want... that lacks the ability to speak (easy solution: Dispel the ring, although that requires some rolls... and better hope the party caster prepared it more than once... and isn't the one wearing that particular ring. Alternate solutions include getting into an Antimagic Field and removing the ring, sundering the ring, or doing something to make a form that normally can't speak talk... like, say, the Tongues spell).

Possibly add a couple of suitable Dependent Functioning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dependent) restrictions to the rings so they don't get out of hand elsewhere. Perhaps the command word only functions in the mansion in which the party is to occur (but the effect of the ring, once activated, still needs to be cancelled with the command word).

Kol Korran
2013-09-06, 02:25 AM
First of all, I think it's a cool idea. I support Galvin's suggestion at following the basic rules of polymorph for this, only cast by someone else, who decides what would be an "interesting form" for each player. I suggest going over the rules for the spell, and making "change sheets" for the characters, explaining the changes they underwent. You may choose to "Twist" the spell a bit, enabling perhaps 1-2 keys spell like or supernatural abilities to function as well for this occasion, not everything needs to go by the rules if it's more fun! :smallwink:

The creatures should cause some sort of conflict/ interest with the player and character, and it's really hard to advise given only race, class and level. We might be able to suggest more fitting ideas given personalities (Of players & characters) however briefly.

If you're expecting a potential fight, we need to know what sort of threat the party might be facing, to choose appropriate level monsters.

A side suggestion: If the party has any antagonist they are against, let it slip by someone they are also here! But under guise as other monsters... who might those be? Make it a REAL masquerade!

This sounds like a really cool and fun idea! I suggest not to pick too complex monster, and have them be monsters the players somewhat know. It will decrease the adaption to the idea, which is difficult as it is. Good luck!