PDA

View Full Version : {Pathfinder} Building a Ranged Inquisitor

13ones
2013-09-05, 10:08 PM
So I've got an upcoming game this year, a tournament style path finder game. Basically it is going to be 4 modular games (based around 4th, 8th, 12th, and 16th level) with scores around a certain criteria and then the top players from the teams (usually balanced into top healing/support character, top arcane/full caster, top melee and ranged dps) get to face the final at 20th level. Last year the finalist got to battle the gods and remake the whole of the multi-verse however they desired with the remaining Gods and champions of other realms.

This year...I have no clue what is coming up. I have my handful of characters built and ready to go for whatever the tourny setting is but this year I've been looking at building a ranged based Inquisitor because the idea seems super interesting. I hope I get to use this character but every year Ranged characters are always quite plentiful (even if last year was 'year of the monk' and the year before was 'year of the familiar and summoner').

The rules I am bound to are only first party pathfinder products to be allowed, no 3.5 material, 25 point buy...and anything else can be addressed as it arises. So any advice would be most welcomed!

grarrrg
2013-09-05, 10:57 PM
ranged based Inquisitor

Dwarf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/dwarf) is a solid race for Inquisitors. Their Alt-Favored Class bonus of +1/2 towards a Judgement is pretty sweet.

Between the +Damage Judgement, the +To-Hit Judgement, and the Bane bonuses, you should be pretty set for damage.

Since this appears to be kinda of a 1vs1 arena thing, then Teamwork feats are out. Preacher (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/preacher) or Spellbreaker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/spellbreaker) archetypes are in.
Preacher is more handy vs. Martials, Spellbreaker is more useful vs. Arcane casters.
Against Divine...you're on your own.

Since you'll have multiple builds for the multiple 'levels', throwing 3 (or more) levels of Zen Archer on a couple may be handy. Using WIS to shoot, and picking up a few Req-less feats is quite nice.

Even at low levels your Domain can be useful.
Protection offers a Scaling Resistance bonus to All Saves.
Travel is +10ft. movement speed.
Conversion lets you use WIS instead of CHA for Intimidate, combined with Stern Gaze and Half-Orc (alt favored is +1/2 to Intimidate per level) you could fairly easily Debuff your opponents.

There are a few others that may be useful.

13ones
2013-09-05, 11:25 PM
Actually is is more of a team versus team thing. Basically the people running the tourny look at the characters submitted, their skills, spells, and builds, and try to build effective teams around them while also taking into consideration player skill.

Five teams run the same level 4,8,12, or 16 module at the same time, and those that perform the best, roleplay the best, or just pull off something awesome, usually make it into the top 5.

13ones
2013-09-06, 02:08 PM
slight bump to get more info

Psyren
2013-09-06, 02:32 PM
Even with a team, the Teamwork feats kind of suck - so I would stick with Preacher or Spellbreaker anyway. The former can grant rerolls to the party, which is awesome, and the latter has great saving throws vs. magic, which is also awesome.