PDA

View Full Version : Creature creation.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-06, 12:28 AM
Is there anybody willing to work with me on creating creatures for my ruleset? There are just so many realms and each needs so many creatures that I can't do it all myself in a practical timeframe and any help would be appreciated. I haven't uploaded the ruleset yet because I haven't got a response to my thread on how to best do it, but I'll upload it all the old-fashioned way if I need to in order to get some help here.

Bhu
2013-09-06, 02:18 PM
Critter making is easier than people think. Fudging CR is the only hard part. Is this rules set 3.5?

Avianmosquito
2013-09-06, 07:07 PM
Critter making is easier than people think. Fudging CR is the only hard part. Is this rules set 3.5?

No, it is not 3.5, or any other form of D&D, it's a brand new ruleset I made from scratch. And the issue isn't difficulty, it's volume. I just need a lot of creatures, and can't do it all myself.

erikun
2013-09-06, 10:29 PM
Well, how much detail does your system require? Are you looking for stat blocks or concepts? Is there a recommended "range" for placing creatures?

What kind of setting are we talking about? I mean, people could probably just name creatures and link to Wikipedia, or possibly type up some stats, but it would likely provoke more imagination if there was some thread tying it all together.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-06, 11:50 PM
Well, how much detail does your system require? Are you looking for stat blocks or concepts?

A lot, actually. Here's an example creature entry: (This is actually a player race, by the way.)

Froll:
Frost trolls, or “frolls” are the natives of Niflheim. They are large, powerful creatures best known for their remarkable regenerative abilities and massive resistance to cold. Frolls are large, powerful giants with ape-like bodies and massive arms, covered in thick blue-white fur and blue-black skin. They have five eyes, tall (almost conical) foreheads and large mouths. Despite being fully sapient, frolls are known for their hot tempers, and their tendency towards fits. They are known for dominance displays that include screaming, hitting themselves, stamping, punching the ground and striking or throwing inanimate objects. Usually, things that will roll and/or break, such as barrels, that belong to the individual they are attempting to intimidate or whose loss will otherwise be harmful to them. The combined threat of physical violence and destruction of property is actually very effective. Frolls are very religious and have many priests and shamans, but most are workers or warriors. Frolls are not strongly sexually dimorphous on first glance due to a lack of obvious secondary sexual characteristics, but are actually very strongly dimorphous on a closer inspection, as their build is almost completely different. Frolls are large, ranging from 250-350cm and 150-250kg with 300cm and 200kg being normal.

Large giant
Character grades: 5, 6, 4, 7, 3, 8.
+4 Str
-2 Agl
-2 Per
-4 Cha
Regeneration for kinetic and nonlethal damage, but not energy damage, mental damage or force.
Regeneration does not work on wounds that inflict constitution damage.
DR 10 (Cold)
Immunity 50% (Cold)
+10 to saves against critical cold effects
Low-light vision
Darkvision
+4 Search, spot
Weakness, x2 electricity and force
Weakness, x3 fire and acid
-10 to saves against critical electric and fire effects
Frolls do not get the highest two apparel proficiencies provided by their class, if they are casters any bonus against somatic spell failure is reduced by 10%.
Uses default sex modifiers, with males getting strength and females agility, but male frolls get an additional +2 strength and females +2 constitution.
Often chaotic: Cannot start lawful.
Head has 4HD, +6 innate and active defence
Torso has 5HD
Tool limbs (upper arms) have 2HD, +4 innate and active defence
Tool extremities (lower arms) have 1HD, +8 innate and active defence
Locomotion limbs (upper legs) have 3HD, +2 innate and active defence
Locomotion extremities (lower legs) have 2HD, +6 innate and active defence

Here's a human to compare them to.

Human:
Humans are the dominant inhabitants of Midgard, and the most common species throughout the realms. They are humanoids and are medium sized as adults, with extremely thin and sparse coats that often fail to cover large portions of their bodies. Common human hair colour includes brown, grey, yellow, orange and red. Skin tone is usually a shade of brown, ranging from light tan to almost black, and human eye colour is normally brown, blue or green. With the change, many humans have developed unusual colouration in skin, hair and eyes, although most are still “normal.” Human adults range from 160-200cm and 80-100kg, with 180cm and 90kg being typical.

Medium humanoid
Character grades: 5, 6, 4, 7, 3, 8.
+1 Feat at first level.
+1 Skill point per level
+2 to all saving throws
+4 to constitution checks, additional +4 against fatigue
Default sex modifiers
Often neutral: No alignment restrictions.
Torso has 5HD
Tool limbs (upper arms) have 2HD, +4 innate and active defence
Tool extremities (lower arms) have 1HD, +8 innate and active defence
Locomotion limbs (upper legs) have 3HD, +2 innate and active defence
Locomotion extremities (lower legs) have 2HD, +6 innate and active defence

Now a wolf. (Not a player race, obviously.)

Wolf:
Wolves are predatory animals prevalent in all realms. They are canid animals with grey fur ranging from almost white to almost black. While they are fairly rare in more advanced realms, (excluding Alfheim, where they are most common) they are very common in more primitive realms. While individually weak and frails, at least compared to humanoids, and very poor combatants by all accounts, their numbers can make them dangerous to most species and on the rare occasion they prey on sapients they prey on the very sick, very old and very young. As a result of these factors, they are often considered to be much more dangerous than they actually are, and tend to be killed on sight. (Very easily, which for some reason doesn't raise any questions about the threat they actually post.) Wolves normally stand 70-90cm tall, 140-160cm long and weigh 30-40kg, with 80cm, 150cm and 35kg being common.

Small Animal
Character grades: 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6.
+2 Agl
-2 Con
-2 Cha
+4 Res
+1 Base move rate
+4 Listen
+10 Search
-10 Climb
+2 to reflex and fortitude saves, -2 to will saves, additional -2 against charm effects.
Does not have hands and cannot use tools or make guard saves.
Bite attacks get +2 attack, penetration and damage.
Kick attacks get -4 attack, -2 penetration and damage and provoke attacks of opportunity.
Paws: A wolf's paws may be used as swipe-only swinging weapons, dealing 0 bludgeon damage with -10 attack. Receives only strength and agility modifiers to attack, rather than full scores. This attack has half normal reach and provokes an attack of opportunity.
-50% experience gain.
Sentient, but non-sapient, does not receive perception or age modifiers to skill point gains, does not receive the highest proficiency provided by its class in every weapon type.
Often neutral: No alignment restrictions
Torso has 5HD
Anterior locomotion limbs have 1HD, +4 innate and active defence
Anterior locomotion extremities have 1HD, +8 innate and active defence
Posterior locomotion limbs have 2HD, +2 innate and active defence
Posterior locomotion extremities have 1HD, +6 innate and active defence
50% experience value.

Notice how in all three cases stat modifiers are used instead of actual stats? This is applied to a base value based on character grade for generic creatures. This is usually 4, 6 or 8 for animals, 10 for player-race NPCs and 12, 14 or 16 for player characters and special NPCs. (Custom creatures, such as PCs, have a more complex creation process, feats and other advantages.) It is normally assumed that whatever feats a generic creature has are not relevant, as an excuse for not giving them the ones their level would provide. (Things like "does not get indigestion from greasy food, no matter what quantity consumed" would be nice for a regular person, but completely useless in a campaign.)

As a side note, the "0" bludgeon damage for the wolf's paw is the base value. A typical wolf would have 6 strength, which is a +3 modifier in this system, which for a normal swing would be +3 in the weapon's damage type (bludgeon) and +3 extra bludgeon, but for a swipe is +3 in the weapon's damage type only. So the wolf will actually do 3 bludgeon (with 0 penetration, before armour) if they somehow land this attack without getting decapitated.

EDIT:
I don't remember why I had it written as piercing, but whatever the reason it was incorrect and had to be changed. I really need to proofread before posting.

Oh, and the wolf is intended to be severely underpowered. They're a weakling creature a low-level party can dispatch en masse, and present little-no threat. (Especially since they do not possess a single attack that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, and the animal creature type is slightly underpowered. The 50% experience value means you get half as much experience for killing them as you normally would from a creature of their level and grade.)

Is there a recommended "range" for placing creatures?

What, like a level range? Monsters have class levels in this system, that's not really an issue.

What kind of setting are we talking about?

There are 13 realms the universe and each is a unique setting with a unique tech level and environment. Granted, one is basically modern-day earth, another is the realm of Wandel (read: God) and has evrything, and four more are realms of death which have only a few exclusive creatures each, but the remaining seven are all full-fledged settings of their own. We've got a magitek, early-mid 20th-century steampunk realm (read: magically enhanced propeller planes, early tanks, submarines, battleships and firearms, steampunk walkers, tonnes of trains and more dirigibles than you can shake a stick at), a magitek, space sci-fi (magic spaceships and energy weapons, it's a funny concept that works really well) a magitek late 19th-early 20th century steampunk realm (more classical steampunk, but magic), a magitek pre-industrial setting, a sci-fi fantasy setting (space travel and magic, but the two do not intersect), a traditional fantasy setting and an early industrial fantasy setting.

There's a lot to cover there, and that's why it would take me forever to do it alone. Every little bit helps.

I mean, people could probably just name creatures and link to Wikipedia, or possibly type up some stats, but it would likely provoke more imagination if there was some thread tying it all together.

I'm getting to that. I never got an answer on how to best upload the ruleset, but I'll get that up once I do and I'll be posting some setting info under worldbuilding tonight. (My definition of "tonight" is usually "before I go to bed" rather than "before midnight in my time zone".)

bekeleven
2013-09-07, 11:38 AM
So basically your question is, "can someone do a bunch of incredibly boring grunt work for a system with black box core rules?"

I mean, it's apparently so dull that the person that (a) made the system, (b) has access to the ruleset and (c) will get the benefit of the results (playing with the completed system) doesn't want to do it... you can understand why this sounds like people asking me to design their websites "for the exposure".

erikun
2013-09-07, 02:36 PM
Ah, okay. So it sounds like a generic D&D collection of creatures. In that case, I would recommend just starting with the free listings in D&D3e (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm) and Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary) and converting stuff that sounds interesting.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-07, 09:51 PM
So basically your question is, "can someone do a bunch of incredibly boring grunt work for a system with black box core rules?"

I mean, it's apparently so dull that the person that (a) made the system, (b) has access to the ruleset and (c) will get the benefit of the results (playing with the completed system) doesn't want to do it... you can understand why this sounds like people asking me to design their websites "for the exposure".

Let me very clear on this. I am already DOING THIS, and ENJOYING IT. I just can't do it all myself, because there is TOO MUCH. I only have until the end of the month until the next quarter starts, and there are other things within the system, things that actually are incredibly boring grunt work, that need to be done. I asked for help on this thing in particular because it was the most interesting, creative work left. If I really wanted to shift the boring grunt work off, I would have asked people to write out the skills for me, (I'm just going to rip off D&D on that one, and make changes where I need to) or create utility items, or something like that. I figured people would be more willing to work with creatures or vehicles than climb checks or sextants. You follow me?

Ah, okay. So it sounds like a generic D&D collection of creatures.

Actually, no. I purposefully picked familiar creatures, because I figured they'd make better examples if you already had some idea how they worked. Here, take a look at some other creatures.

Note: These first two are character templates. These are applied to other creatures to create the beasts in question.

Here's a soldier of the series' principle antagonists. (Which rarely actually appear as the primary antagonist in campaigns, but every hero fights at some point at least as a random encounter.) Here's a particularly nasty little bugger. Not the strongest abomination, but a strong one anyway.

Smiler:
Smilers are humanoid abominations whose form matches the most prevalent sapient local species to a degree, used as provocateurs and, when necessary, commandos. It always appears in formal attire and is very large and tall. They have extremely pale, clammy skin and are completely bald. Their eyes lack irises and have a milky haze over them. As their name suggests, they have a wide, toothy grin permanently stuck on their face. They have no control over it and cannot stop smiling regardless of their actual mood. Their eyes are large and bulgy, and lack lids. They have milky, white blood. These creatures are nearly indestructible, but are slow, creepy and lack any major combat ability.

Abomination
Loses this template and gains free will when killed, is resurrected faster than normal without losing a life or experience, and is no longer under regulator control. (This will also shift their alignment one step towards normal for their species, and make them hate the regulators on an extremely personal level.)
+4 natural armour
DR 2/--
D20 hit dice
Double health
Half movement speed
Cannot swim, but can breathe underwater
Does not suffer damage or instantly die from body damage effects, but does bleed and receive penalties as normal and can be critically struck.
+10 Constitution
-4 Agility, perception and charisma
+2 to all physical saves
-4 to all mental saves
-4 to all charisma-based checks with the species whose appearance they appear to match.
Their grin is damaging to sanity, causes 1d3 disruption, 1d2 psychological damage and 1 emotional damage each time a creature that is neither a abomination nor regulator sees a smiler's grin. This deals 5d3 disruption, 5d2 psychological and 5 emotional damage the first time a character is subject to this effect if the character is a member of the base species, 3d3 disruption, 3d2 psychological and 3 emotional damage if merely a member of the same creature type. Normal damage otherwise. This effect repeats every round.
Always lawful: Must start lawful, can never change.
+50% experience gain.
500% experience value.

This one here is intended to be used as a campaign's primary antagonist, works for the same group.

Manager:
A manager is a mimicry of a regular species used by the regulators to sabotage their enemies. They look largely normal except for their consistent business attire and their (generally anachronous) briefcase. They have strange mannerisms and vocal patterns, raspy monotones and almost no social awareness. They are usually male, but female managers have been reported. They are usually adults, although both elders and children have been reported. If threatened, they merely retreat using their teleportation abilities. They bleed a black, oily fluid that doesn’t seem to actually be blood.

Abomination
Loses this template and gains free will when killed, is resurrected faster than normal without losing a life or experience, and is no longer under regulator control.
-4 charisma
+4 resolve
DR 10/--
Double health
50% immunity to bleed and nonlethal damage.
Their voice is damaging to sanity, causes 1d3 disruption, 1d2 psychological damage and 1 emotional damage each time a creature that is neither a abomination nor regulator hears a manager. This deals 5d3 disruption, 5d2 psychological and 5 emotional damage the first time a character is subject to this effect if the character is a member of the base species, 3d3 disruption, 3d2 psychological and 3 emotional damage if merely a member of the same creature type. Normal damage otherwise. This effect repeats every round.
Supernatural suggestion: a manager may implant a single command to an individual, as if using the suggestion spell. This effect allows will save with a save DC equal to 0+charisma mod+resolve mod. This takes a standard action and may be done once per character level, per day.
Supernatural dimension door: a manager may teleport short distances, as if using the dimension door spell. This takes a standard action and may be done once per two character levels, per day.
Supernatural teleport: a manager may teleport long distances, as if using the teleport spell. This takes a standard action and may be done once per five character levels, per day.
Supernatural plane shift: a manager may teleport between planes, as if using the plane shift spell. This takes a free action and may be done once per ten character levels, per day.
Supernatural time control: a manager can slow time relative to them, allowing them to do in a single second a round’s worth of actions. They may do this once per twenty character levels, per day.
Character grade is reduced by 2.
Passive-aggressive, does not normally engage in combat and prefers to use others to do its dirty work.
Always lawful: Must start lawful, can never change.
+100% experience gain
1000% experience value

Now for a pure creature.

Vanheadair: (Vanaheim native)
A tiny quadrupedal arthropod native to Vanaheimr, found mostly in and around water. Despite its name being a contraction of "Vanaheimr" and "figheadair" (spider) the vanheadair bears no actual resemblance to a spider. The arthropod has a hard exoskeleton with very few small, fine hairs protruding from it. The vanheadair has a natural proficiency with cold magic, and can use it in a variety of ways. Vanheadair are not normally aggressive and avoid larger creatures, but have been known to attack gremlins and fey unprovoked and like all creatures they will attack almost anything when threatened. They are sentient, but non-sapient with no reasoning ability.

Tiny vermin
Character grades: 2, 3, 1, 4.
+2 strength
+2 agility
-4 charisma
-2m/round base move rate
+2 natural armour
DR 5 (Cold)
Immunity 50% (Cold)
+10 acrobatics (This includes climb checks, jump checks, balance checks, etcetera.)
Does not have hands, cannot make punch attacks.
Can make kick attacks with two of its legs, regardless of the opponent's direction. Has a -4 to attack against creatures to its side, -10 against creatures behind it.
Bite attacks have +2 attack, +1 damage and penetration.
Freezing venom: This creature can inject venom into a bite, dealing 1d3 cold damage for 1d3 rounds and 1 strength, 1 agility and 1 constitution damage every other minute for 1d3 minutes.
Water walk: This creature can freeze water when stepping on it, and use this to skate on water for one minute. This ability may be used once per point of constitution, per day.
Freezing aura: This creature can freeze the air around it, dealing 1d3 AoE cold damage per round, with 0 penetration and a blast increment of 2m, for one minute. This ability may be used once per two points of constitution, per day.
Ice breath: This creature can emit a blast of cold air, dealing 1d3+3 AoE cold damage within a cone in 45 degree cone in front of it, with 1 penetration and a blast increment of 4m. This ability may be used once per point of constitution, per day.
Always neutral: Must start neutral, can never change.
-75% experience gain.
75% experience value.
Head has 3HD, +2 innate and active defence.
Body has 5HD
Locomotion limbs have 2HD, +2 innate and active defence.
Locomotion Extremities have 1HD, +4 innate and active defence.

Now a regulator, one of the abominations' masters. (These are inherently different, and are not considered creatures by the system.)

Changer: (Harvester/Regulator)
Changers are medium harvesters that prey on larger creatures, frequently including sapients. Changers have four tentacles, and an egg-like shape. Their mouth is wide and massive, making them quite proficient at quickly swallowing prey once the prey has been immobilized. Changers have deadly magical attacks, put their melee power is still exceedingly poor. Commands (and is usually accompanied by) 100 manipulators.

Medium Regulator
Does not have character grades.
Cannot have class levels
Erased from existance when killed
4 strength
16 agility
6 constitution
12 perception
12 charisma
12 resolve
Base movement speed 0m/s. (Unable to naturally move under its own power.)
Flight: Naturally flies at 2m/s as a "walk", 6m/s as a "jog" and 18m/s as a "sprint".
Afterburn: Can briefly fly at 54m/s as a "boost" action, as per the feat.
Space propulsion: Can move under its own power in space, accelerating at 0.02m/s as a "walk" action.
Rocket: In space, a changer can accelerate itself 0.6m/s as a "boost" action, as per the feat.
30 Vitality
D6 hit dice. (120hp)
Immunity 50% (Kinetic, Energy, Force)/silver, sonic, positive energy, negative energy
50% immunity to bleed
75% immunity to nonlethal damage
100% immunity to mental damage, poison and disease
+10 to constitution checks
+10 grapple
Always critically hit
Cannot make saving throws
Does not have hands, feet or teeth, cannot make punch, kick or bite attacks.
Tentacle: A regulator may use each of their four tentacles to make one attack per round. This natural weapon deals 1d3 bludgeon as a swinging weapon, and cannot thrust. This weapon cannot make swipe or bash attacks, but can use swings in attacks of opportunity with a -4 penalty, and has +100% reach.
Concussion ray: A focused blast of kinetic energy, directed at a target. Travels 340m/s, has a 10m range increment and does not work in space. Deals 3d4 concussive damage with 6 penetration and +6 attack. Critical 15-20, x3. This ability may be used ten times per day.
Heat ray: A ray of infra-red radiation, directed at a target. Travels 299,792,458m/s, has a 10m range increment, 1000m in space. Deals 3d4+3 heat damage with 3 penetration and +12 attack. Critical 13-20, x2. This ability may be used ten times per day.
Cold ray: A focused blast of extreme cold, directed at a target. Travels 50m/s, has a 10m range increment and does not work in space. Deals 3d4+3 cold damage with 3 penetration and +3 attack. Critical 15-20, x2. This ability may be used ten times per day.
Electric bolt: A bolt of electricity, directed at a target. Travels at 100,000,000m/s, has a 10m range increment and does not work in space. Deals 3d4-3 electric damage with 6 penetration and +12 attack. Critical 13-20, x3.
Force ray: A ray of disintegrating force, directed at a target. Travels 100m/s, has a 6m range increment, 60m in space. Deals 3d4-3 force damage with 3 penetration and +3 attack. This ability may be used ten times per day.
Countless screams: A regulator may call up some sense of the uncountable number of living things their kind has consumed. While this ability is active, all viewing them take 3d4 disruption damage, 3d6 emotional damage and 3d8 psychological damage. This attack is counted as a blast, and has a blast increment of 8m.
Swallow: Changers may ingest prey by making an opposed grapple check on them with no strength modifier and a -10 penalty. Grappling their prey normally first allows them to retain their strength modifier and gives them a +2 per tentacle on their swallow check. This attack is counted as a bite for the purposes of attacks of opportunity, takes a full round to initiate and another three rounds to complete, two if the changer has a jogging start, one if the changer has a sprinting start and none if the changer has a boosted start. These each take one round less (to a minimum of one) for each size the prey is smaller than the changer. Each round requires an opposed grapple check to succeed, and if it fails the prey may make an opposed grapple check to back the process up one round. If they manage to back up past the beginning, they are free but if originally grappled they are grappled still. Changers have enough room in their stomachs for one creature their size, or twice as many for every size smaller than that. Being swallowed by a changer causes 1d12 psychological damage, 1d8 disruption and 1d4 emotional damage, being in their stomach causes 1d4 psychological and 1d2 of each of the others per round, and dazes the target for four points and lowers all ability scores by three points, with a will save DC of 10+resolve mod. At a changer's discretion, their prey may be digested. This deprives the target of air (mandating breath checks) and causes a single point of environmental acid damage per hour. Swallowed prey may be regurgitated at any time, which takes three rounds. Each point of acid damage dealt to prey feeds, hydrates and rests the changer for one point, and heals the changer by one VP, one HP and 10 nonlethal. Ingested prey may attempt to escape, attacking the changer from the inside. A changer has a defence of 0 against internal threats. If the prey deals damage equal to ¼ of the integrity of the changer's body, half for every size they are smaller than the changer, they may then escape as a full round action.
Changers can only gain experience for ingesting a target, but get 1000% experience for doing so.
1000xp value.
Purely lawful: Must start lawful, can never change.
Body has 10HD
Tentacles have 2HD, +4 innate and active defence
Tentacle tips have 1HD, +8 innate and active defence

Those still sound "generic" to you?

In that case, I would recommend just starting with the free listings in D&D3e (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsters.htm) and Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary) and converting stuff that sounds interesting.

I'd rather not rip things off directly, thanks.

erikun
2013-09-07, 10:18 PM
Well, okay. But then rather than being a random mash of Tolkienish + mythology creatures, it's a random mash of ideas put together? I'm not sure how much help others will be in that case. I mean, if there was some kind of concept or theme behind them, then it will be hard coming up with ideas. Or at least coming up with "good" ideas.

Your stats seem considerably complex, and don't seem to have any indication of strength level between them. As such, it will probably be quite difficult to make creatures that fit into the system well.

And most of D&D and Pathfinder have "ripped off" entire other mythologies and works of fiction. Even if you don't port the creature stats directly from those systems (it doesn't seem like you can) you can still check out where they got the original ideas from, and create your own spin on the originals.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-07, 10:59 PM
Well, okay. But then rather than being a random mash of Tolkienish + mythology creatures, it's a random mash of ideas put together?

Every realm is different, and the setting within determines the kind of creatures present. Vanaheim, for example is late 19th-early 20th century magitek/steampunk, so it has creatures that fit into that kind of setting, but it also has a thing for arthropods and invertebrates, and all the creatures there (including the local variant on the wolf) have magic built into their being. Muspellheim, on the other hand, has a 18th-20th century tech base with no magitek, and the local creatures use less natural magic, but it's a hot realm of fire, tropics and desert, so it has a lot of creatures that use fire, electricity, acid and/or force, and it has a thing for reptiles and insects.

I'm not sure how much help others will be in that case. I mean, if there was some kind of concept or theme behind them, then it will be hard coming up with ideas. Or at least coming up with "good" ideas.

Just about anything can be fit into one of the realms, and if it can't I reserve the right to modify it to make it fit. And besides, every little bit helps.

Your stats seem considerably complex, and don't seem to have any indication of strength level between them.

Most stats are incomparable, and unless there's something tying them together (like ability score points all costing the same when creating a character) it's hard to look at them and tell which is more valuable. This is intentional, because incomparables help preserve both depth and balance. I can only write guidelines for some, and even then they're only guidelines and they're a bit arbitrary.

I'll be posting the ruleset as soon as I get a response on my other thread (which is on page 2 of this forum, by the way) or when I get impatient and stop waiting.

EDIT:
That said, I really should include some sort of guide to common character grades for each creature. I'll go and edit those in. The format is simple, the character grades these creatures are born naturally into will be listed most common to least. For example, almost all player races will be 5, 6, 4, 7, 3, 8. This means 5 (commoner) is the most common, followed by 6 (hero), 4 (cretin), 7 (champion), 3 (subhuman) and 8 (messiah). The exact proportions will be left out to allow greater flexibility, especially since those would vary anyway.

EDIT2:
I'll also work in alignment mods for the ones that are missing them.

As such, it will probably be quite difficult to make creatures that fit into the system well.

I've never had an issue.

And most of D&D and Pathfinder have "ripped off" entire other mythologies and works of fiction. Even if you don't port the creature stats directly from those systems (it doesn't seem like you can) you can still check out where they got the original ideas from, and create your own spin on the originals.

In case you hadn't noticed from some of the realm names, I'm already using creatures from a couple mythologies, and I don't intend to stop. I'm also sure there are people who are aware of creatures from these mythologies that I am not, so if they come up with any I haven't already included I'm all for it. Just nothing Abrahamic, please.

erikun
2013-09-08, 01:44 AM
Every realm is different, and the setting within determines the kind of creatures present. Vanaheim, for example is late 19th-early 20th century magitek/steampunk, so it has creatures that fit into that kind of setting, but it also has a thing for arthropods and invertebrates, and all the creatures there (including the local variant on the wolf) have magic built into their being. Muspellheim, on the other hand, has a 18th-20th century tech base with no magitek, and the local creatures use less natural magic, but it's a hot realm of fire, tropics and desert, so it has a lot of creatures that use fire, electricity, acid and/or force, and it has a thing for reptiles and insects.
Well, that sounds fine. I'd recommend picking a setting, going more in-depth for anything that would be related to the inhabitants, giving a few sample creatures, and trying to gather ideas that way. The sample creatures would give people a good idea of the general power level, and what kind of things you're looking for.

Also, the ruleset, or at least what all the variables mean. :smalltongue: We still haven't seen that yet.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-08, 09:55 AM
Well, that sounds fine. I'd recommend picking a setting, going more in-depth for anything that would be related to the inhabitants, giving a few sample creatures, and trying to gather ideas that way. The sample creatures would give people a good idea of the general power level, and what kind of things you're looking for.

Well, from the genres I listed earlier, which do you think would go over the best here, on this site? I've never managed to organize an RP here, so I don't know what the community likes.

Also, the ruleset, or at least what all the variables mean. :smalltongue: We still haven't seen that yet.

I'll upload the full ruleset later, once somebody answers my question on how best to upload it. (Or if I get impatient and decide to just upload the full, 200,000 character wall of text directly.) As for the things I've shown so far, I guess I can cover that quickly now. I might go a bit light on detail right now, though.

Creature types:

Humanoid:
The humanoid creature type is the primary (although by no means only) player creature type. D10 hit dice, a bonus to innate and active defence, guard and reflex saves. Strong creature type in combat, but slow in water.

Giant:
A slightly inferior variant on the humanoid creature type. Has D12 hit dice and the same innate defence boost and guard boost, but no active defence or reflex boost.

Animal:
An overall decent creature type, with D8 hit dice, a small innate defence boost, a slight immunity (25%) to psychological damage and a small increase in bite power.

Vermin:
A good creature type, with D6 hit dice, a natural armour boost and a complete immunity to psychological damage.

There are others, but I haven't got all day and I've only used these ones on the site so far.

Character grades:

0: (Nothing)
6 ability points, 0 free lives, -5 experience levels on respawn, longest respawn, 2m/s base speed
1: (Nuisance)
12 ability points, 0 free lives, -5 experience levels on respawn, longest respawn, 2m/s base speed
2: (Animal)
24 ability points, 0 free lives, -5 experience levels on respawn, longest respawn, 2m/s base speed
3: (Subhuman)
36 ability points, 1 free life, -4 experience levels on respawn, long respawn, 2m/s base speed
4: (Cretin)
48 ability points, 1 free life, -4 experience levels on respawn, long respawn, 2m/s base speed
5: (Commoner)
60 ability points, 1 free life, -4 experience levels on respawn, long respawn, 2m/s base speed
6: (Hero)
72 ability points, 2 free lives, -3 experience levels on respawn, medium respawn, 3m/s base speed
7: (Champion)
84 ability points, 2 free lives, -3 experience levels on respawn, medium respawn, 3m/s base speed
8: (Messiah)
96 ability points, 2 free lives, -3 experience levels on respawn, medium respawn, 3m/s base speed
9: (Lesser demigod)
108 ability points, 3 free lives, -2 experience levels on respawn, short respawn, 3m/s base speed
10: (Demigod)
120 ability points, 3 free lives, -2 experience levels on respawn, short respawn, 3m/s base speed
11: (Greater demigod)
132 ability points, 3 free lives, -2 experience levels on respawn, short respawn, 3m/s base speed
12: (Lesser deity)
144 ability points, 4 free lives, -1 experience level on respawn, shorter respawn, 4m/s base speed
13: (Deity)
156 ability points, 4 free lives, -1 experience level on respawn, shorter respawn, 4m/s base speed
14: (Greater deity)
168 ability points, 4 free lives, -1 experience level on respawn, shorter respawn, 4m/s base speed
15: (Lesser god)
180 ability points, 5 free lives, no experience loss on respawn, insignificant respawn, 4m/s base speed
16: (God)
192 ability points, 5 free lives, no experience loss on respawn, insignificant respawn, 4m/s base speed
17: (Greater god)
204 ability points, 5 free lives, no experience loss on respawn, insignificant respawn, 4m/s base speed
20: (Wandel)
240 ability points, unlimited free lives, no experience loss on respawn, negligible respawn, 5m/s base speed.

Respawn time affects both resurrection and rebirth. Resurrection occurs when a character has lives to spare and has enough experience levels for the respawn. Rebirth occurs when they have lives, but not experience. The difference is that a resurrected character is resurrected as they were when they died, while a reborn character is resurrected as a newborn. Somebody with no lives remains in the realm of death as a spirit forever. Finally, a character who has no experience or lives is reborn one last time. They lose any experience they previously had, no matter how much it may have been, and lose all memory of their past lives. They remain a spirit in the realm of death, only now they are a stronger indigenous spirit. This effectively eradicates the person they were. There is no way to make a person any more dead than that. (The worst the gods themselves can do is change spawn point and kill them upon resurrection. Even this is rare.) In the realms of death you do not lose lives for death and experience loss is 10%. Living people killed in the realms of death are ejected into their home realm with these same penalties.

Longest respawn: Resurrection one year, rebirth one decade
Long respawn: Resurrection one month, rebirth one year
Medium respawn: Resurrection one week, rebirth one month
Short respawn: Resurrection one day, rebirth one week
Shorter respawn: Resurrection one hour, rebirth one day
Insignificant respawn: Resurrection one minute, rebirth one hour
Negligible respawn: Resurrection one round, rebirth one minute.

I just copy-pasted this out of my rulebook. Seemed faster.

Ability scores:

Strength:
Increases melee attack, damage and penetration. Contributes to melee attack rate, and is responsible for draw rate. Increases integrity and critical threat for melee weapons, is used for the guard saving throw, and is responsible for encumbrance. If it reaches 0, you are paralysed and immobile.

Agility:
Increases melee and ranged attack, as well as active defence and reflex saves. Determines maximum draw, increases critical threat for all weapons, contributes to melee attack rate and manually operated weapon attack rate. If it reaches 0, you are paralysed and immobile.

Constitution:
Modifies hit dice, increases fortitude saves, needs thresholds, heal rate for all but mental damage, body integrity and natural armour. If it reaches 0, you are "mostly" dead (ask Miracle Max) and unconscious.

Perception:
Increases experience gain, the logic save, skill book value, skill training benefits and skill points per level. Contributes to ranged attack and critical threat. If it reaches 0, you become oblivious.

Charisma:
Increases disposition and negate save. Also adds innate defence vs. creatures aware of your appearance, while reducing melee damage and spell caster level of those creatures against you. Most common caster attribute, and associated strongly with magic in general.

Resolve:
Increases nonlethal damage reduction, will saves, heal rate for mental damage and allows for repeated saves for continuous effects. If resolve reaches 0, a character is suggestible.

Other statistics:

Size:
Size is very important in this game and larger size is a net advantage. Larger characters have more health and integrity, longer reach, a higher constitution modifier to fortitude saves and more carry weight. Natural armour provides more damage reduction for a larger character. A larger character gets bonuses to some skills. However, smaller characters have more defence, get more skill bonuses, get more armour rating and energy defence from natural armour and take less mental damage. Smaller creatures tend to have better natural abilities to make up for being small, as it is overall a disadvantage in combat.

Hit Dice:
Hit dice are used to measure a character's health and limb integrity. It's a simple, easy shorthand and I like it. Hit dice aren't actually rolled, or even averaged, in this game. They're maximised. A character normally has ten hit dice for their health, all of which are modified by their full constitution score. (So basically, a point of constitution is 10hp, before size modifiers.) Since a character in this game does not die due to 0 constitution, this means the size of their hit dice also tells you the negative amount of constitution that will always result in instant death. (-8 for D8, -10 for D10, -12 for D12) This also determines limb integrity, with the number of hit dice each limb has is detailed on the limb. Each hit die is modified by both the constitution rank (1/10th score, rounded down) and strength rank of the character. This is normally decided by creature type, but some templates change it. (For instance, regardless of base creature type, vampires always have d10 hit dice, wraiths d12 and liches d8.)

Vitality:
Vitality is a form of magical energy that undoes damage as it occurs. In-game, it effectively acts as an extra layer of health, but damage done to it doesn't impact limbs or health, it doesn't cause bleed or non-lethal and special damage effects (including critical damage effects and critical placement effects) do not work. Vitality must be removed before wounds, even criticals, have any effect. When VP is less than damage, it reduces damage instead of removing it entirely, and starts with the presently highest damage type. However, low-level characters have very little vitality, not even enough to protect completely against a single, weak wound. Different classes get different amounts of VP.

Health:
An abstracted measure of a character's blood volume. As it falls, a character steadily gets weaker. Every 10% lost (other than the first 10%) doubles the penalties and every 20% adds a new penalty. In addition, every 25% health lost reduces the number of actions you can make per round. This measure is also the meter for the special penalties of non-lethal damage types. Finally, non-lethal damage stacks up with real damage, counting against health without actually lowering it, for the purposes of incapacitation penalties. (The penalties that come very 25%, not 10%.)

Integrity:
A measure of a body part's condition. Every 25% of this lost inflicts a penalty related to that body part. Impacted only by physical damage types. Non-lethal damage types that impact integrity exist, but they do so as a form of "fake" damage, and while they can trip damage penalties they can't actually remove or destroy a limb no matter how intense they are.

Base move rate:
The maximum number of metres a creature can move in a single round, before movement mode multipliers. Walking speed is normally 1x, jogging 2x and sprinting 4x, with the special (feat requiring) boost mode bringing you to 8x.

Defence:
Defence is the roll needed to hit a target. Innate defence is the value that a creature has normally, regardless of circumstance. Active defence represents attempts to evade. In addition to this, there is base defence, which is determined by the attack type. Base defence against swinging attacks is 0, against thrusting and projecting attacks is 5, and against arcing attacks is 10. You have to meet this value to hit, and exceed it in order to score a critical hit. (You also need to be within critical threat, or use an attack that always crits when exceeding defence.)

Armour rating and energy defence:
Armour rating and energy defence are largely the same thing, only for two different damage types. Armour rating applies against most kinetic damage types, energy defence against most energy damage types. This adds a range above the subject's defence in which an attack that hits is counted as "deflecting", which halves all subject damage types. Deflected attacks can still crit, as long as they exceed the defence of the subject.

Damage reduction:
Just a simple, point reduction effect. Subject to penetration, often separated by type, different sources do stack. Any damage type in parenthesis is impacted by the effect, any condition following a backslash skips this DR. For instance, DR 5 (Kinetic)/Silver means all kinetic damage is reduced by 5, unless caused by a silver weapon. Some damage types always ignore any DR that does not mention them specifically, such as force. If DR reads as /--, then it impacts all damage subject to damage reduction and has no circumstance that negates it.

Damage immunity:
Basically the exact same thing as resistance, and stacks additively with it, but it is unaffected by penetration. Much more valuable than resistance as a result of its reliability. Still stacks, still uses the same system.

Natural armour:
Natural and magic armour are special effects some creatures have naturally, or are added to creatures by some spells. These are the exact same thing, and will always stack. Increases armour rating, energy defence and damage reduction by an amount dependent on subject size, by default one of each per point.

Experience gain:
The rate at which a character gains experience. If no value is listed, assume a base of 100%, before perception.

Experience value:
The amount of experience a character is worth. If a percentage, the creature uses the regular formula before this percentage multiplier is applied.

Offensive traits:

Attack:
It's an attack roll. We use a d20. Here, there is no automatic miss at 1 or automatic hit at 20. However, when you roll a 20 and have not hit you get to roll again and add it to your previous roll. If you still haven't hit and roll another 20, you get to roll again. There is no limit to this, but the chances of rolling several 20s in a row are very, very slim.

Damage:
I do NOT need to explain this, do I? No, no I don't.

Penetration:
Penetration is a special effect on many weapons that reduces defensive traits. It lowers armour rating, energy defence and damage reduction by its value. It does not, however, impact immunity.

Critical chance:
Just critical chance. If you hit and the last d20 roll was within your attack's critical threat range, you score a critical hit. Anything that reads as adding to critical chance is lowering the minimum on the range. Anything that reads as subtracting is raising the minumum. An attack can be made incapable of scoring critical hits through this method, or it can be made to always score critical hits.

Critical multiplier:
Determines the amount of bonus health damage, nonlethal and bleed dealt. 0x is no bonus, normal damage. 1x is a 100% bonus, or double damage. 2x is normal, and triples the damage. Some body parts have naturally higher critical multipliers, such as the +1 on the torso or the +2 on the head. (Notably, these areas give +2 and +4 to critical threat.)

Reach:
Determines how many squares you threaten, how many squares you can hit (not the same thing, threaten is AoO and requires you be closer) and if you have a great enough reach advantage you can score an AoO against enemies attacking you. (If your weapon provokes AoO, then this merely prevents enemies scoring AoO on you.) This is already a tad convoluted, but when we get into polearms this whole thing gets screwy. It makes sense in the long-winded explanation, but I don't have the time right now.

Range increment:
Range increments apply attack penalties, as you already understand. Every fifth gives a penetration penalty as well, and once penetration is gone damage begins to drop, starting with the highest damage type, until there is nothing left.

Blast increment:
Blast increments reduce blast penetration the same way range increments reduce attack. Once penetration is gone, damage begins to go. You get the idea.

Attack types:

Jab:
A weak, accurate thrusting attack with decent penetration but low damage. Usable in attacks of opportunity, not usable in power attacks. Good against enemies that are hard to hit and have good defensive traits, and good for damaging armoured enemies with attacks of opportunity.

Thrust:
A strong, inaccurate thrusting attack with very high penetration and consistent (if only intermediate) damage. Not normally usable for attacks of opportunity, but usable in power attacks. Good against enemies with high defensive traits, especially armoured enemies, but is your least accurate melee attack.

Swipe:
A very weak, very accurate swinging attack with low penetration and consistent (if only intermediate) damage. Usable in attacks of opportunity, not usable in power attacks. Good against enemies that are hard to hit and lack defensive traits, and good for killing squishy enemies with attacks of opportunity. Your most accurate melee attack.

Swing:
A very strong, accurate swinging attack with low penetration and very high (if inconsistent) damage. Not normally usable in attacks of opportunity, but usable in power attacks.

Both swipe and swing have horizontal and vertical variants. Horizontal attacks are the default, vertical attacks are less accurate but always score a critical when they hit.

Bash:
A very weak, accurate thrusting special purpose attack. Knocks enemies off balance, impairing their attack and defence for the rest of the round while briefly stopping their movement or cancelling an attack, but has low penetration and damage. Can be used for attacks of opportunity, but cannot be used for power attacks.

Shove:
A very weak, inaccurate thrusting special purpose attack. Knocks enemies off balance, as per bash, but more so and also physically pushes them backwards, but has low penetration and deals minimal damage. Cannot normally be used for attacks of opportunity, but can be used for power attacks.

Projectile:
A simple projected attack, which has range increments instead of reach. When it reaches a listed distance, it changes attack classification from "projecting" to "arcing", which increases enemy defence by 5 and changes what bonuses impact it.

Beam:
Identical to projectile, but distinct for the purposes of defensive effects.

Shot:
A variant on the projectile attack where multiple projectiles are fired in a single attack action. This attack all uses one roll, with meeting the target's defence resulting in a single hit and every point beyond resulting in an additional hit until all projectiles are hitting. Critical is a percentage, with a chance equal to the range given. 19-20 would mean 10%, 16-20 25% and so on. The percentage is multiplied onto the number of pellets that actually hit, and rounded down to determine the number of crits. (Say, six hits with 16-20 would get 1 critical. Ten hits with 16-20 would get 2 criticals, six hits with 19-20 would get no criticals.)

Automatic:
Basically the same as a shot weapon, but with an increment determined by the recoil value on the weapon. Critical works the same way as it does for shot.

Blast:
An area of effect attack, with blast increments instead of reach. Area of effect attacks do not score shot placement bonuses on critical hits, but automatically deal 1/5 their damage to each of the target's attributes. These attacks do not get placement multipliers to health damage or placement modifiers to critical multipliers. They damage all body parts in their radius separately, and deal health damage for every part hit. As long as enemies are evenly armoured, this is very simple. If not, hope they don't have a really wacky set up (say, plate boots, leather greaves, a t-shirt, blacksmith gloves and a chain coif) it shouldn't be too bad.

Abilities:

Low-light vision:
Half penalty to spot and search for low light levels.

Darkvision:
Low-light vision and black and white -4 vision replaces low-light vision as soon as it has smaller penalty.

Regeneration:
Damage of specified types heals by the normal heal rate but on shorter increments. Weekly increments become daily increments, daily becomes hourly, hourly becomes minutely and minutely become roundly. If multiple regeneration effects are stacked, the additional ones simply increase heal rate. (2x for the second, 3x for the third, etcetera.) For example, if your heal rate is five, you will go from healing 5HP/Day to 5HP/Hour.

Weakness:
A multiplier to health damage, nonlethal and special effect magnitude from this damage type. Does not impact bleed magnitude or body damage.

JBPuffin
2013-09-09, 08:57 PM
PM me the details of what you want, and I'd be willing to get involved. I always love to read new systems, and helping out a fellow forum-goer seems rather appropriate. Count me in...terested.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-09, 09:14 PM
PM me the details of what you want, and I'd be willing to get involved. I always love to read new systems, and helping out a fellow forum-goer seems rather appropriate. Count me in...terested.

I'll get back to you later today.

Grim_Wicked
2013-09-10, 06:38 AM
What JBPuffin said. Should you need any more people.

I'm interested as well in seeing new systems and I love creating creatures. Is it possible, however, to go in-depth to just one specific world and make a whole bunch of monsters for that, rather than make, like, four for every realm or something?

Cheers!

Avianmosquito
2013-09-10, 03:40 PM
What JBPuffin said. Should you need any more people.

I will take as many people as I can get.

I'm interested as well in seeing new systems and I love creating creatures. Is it possible, however, to go in-depth to just one specific world and make a whole bunch of monsters for that, rather than make, like, four for every realm or something?

Cheers!

You know, that's exactly what I encouraged JBPuffin to do. I'll leave the choice of realm up to you. I'll send a PM with more info in a minute.

EDIT:
Or not, you have PMs disabled.

Before we begin, since my thread asking how best to upload the rules was never answered, I need to ask your opinion on how best to upload the rules. Yes, I asked JBPuffin as well, but he hasn't gotten back to me. More information here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301631)on the subject, if I just upload it all directly this is also the thread through which I will do so. Also, linking to another site is no longer a serious option, the version of the ruleset there is just too far out of date.

As for which realm to pick, I'll leave that up to you. Thankfully, I haven't made any huge changes to the setting so I can link you safely off-site for more information, so have a link (http://rpgforumsonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1238227). Pick whichever interests you, or whichever you think will go over best here, whatever seems easiest or whatever other factor you choose to decide on. The only one I don't want you working on is Wandelheim. Any other, even Midgard, is a good option.

I'll take what I can get here. Anything from good creature concepts, to full creature entries. You don't have to get it perfect, I can fill in anything I notice missing and while doing so I'll balance anything that is too far over or underpowered, or any other changes I need to make. Just don't assign experience value, I'll do that myself. (And please remember experience value is based off of the creature's combat difficulty, not the quality of the creature.)

JBPuffin
2013-09-10, 07:50 PM
Alright, so to how to get the system out, two options: post the link to the site you have and update the info there, or make it a PDF and link to it on a doc-sharing site.

For building stuff, I'll take Wandel's realm or the Divines primarily; I like dealing with gods and such. If you have ideas for those as to how they work, I'd like those sent along.

I'll be a bit inconsistent to my posting, however I will do my best to provide you good quality stuff. Thank you for the opportunity.

Also, welcome Grim!

Avianmosquito
2013-09-10, 07:53 PM
Alright, so to how to get the system out, two options: post the link to the site you have and update the info there, or make it a PDF and link to it on a doc-sharing site.

I'll update the other site, two birds with one stone. Here's the link, although it's a couple months out of date. It's close enough for right now, the stuff I'm changing isn't that big. I'll get to it in a couple hours, when I finish what I'm doing right now.

I'm going to be reworking the combat time and movement system, adding a new special feature that allows you to (occasionally) get two turns in a single round, changing a few of the player races (ones that I feel are overpowered, specifically) and making a few other, more minor changes here and there.

For building stuff, I'll take Wandel's realm or the Divines primarily; I like dealing with gods and such. If you have ideas for those as to how they work, I'd like those sent along.

I'd rather you not work with Wandel's realm. I'm keeping everything about it under wraps. I've also already finished the various powers of the gods. If you'd like to read those, I can post those, but I've already got that done.

I'll be a bit inconsistent to my posting, however I will do my best to provide you good quality stuff. Thank you for the opportunity.

Also, welcome Grim!

Good to hear.

Grim_Wicked
2013-09-11, 12:15 AM
Sorry my PM is off; I'll see if I can turn it on again...

I'll look into it this evening (which is in 6-7 hours for me) and let you know asap!

Avianmosquito
2013-09-11, 12:38 AM
Sorry my PM is off; I'll see if I can turn it on again...

I'll look into it this evening (which is in 6-7 hours for me) and let you know asap!

I said everything I was going to.

EDIT:
I'm doing the revisions now. Give me a couple hours, I'll have it done.

EDIT2:
The other site is glitching out and stretching my posts against the side. I can't fix it, but I'm going to be editing the information there anyway. It does this sometimes, sometimes it goes away on its own. It'll do for now, I'll make a .pdf later.

Also, I'm changing the move system from metres/round to metres/second. More consistent with the rest of the system.

EDIT3:
WOW I did not expect it to be this far out of date. Screw it, I'm making a .pdf. Any suggestions where to upload it?

Grim_Wicked
2013-09-11, 07:48 AM
You can do something like mediafire.com and post the download link in the forum?

Avianmosquito
2013-09-11, 07:52 AM
You can do something like mediafire.com and post the download link in the forum?

Sure, but keep in mind I will periodically be updating it. I'll PM you guys when I do. Right now, I've got revisions to make and then I've got to make it into a working .pdf, as it's only a .doc right now.

EDIT:
And I'm going to be busy today meeting my daughter's new therapist. (The last one didn't work out.) So I'll get back to you tomorrow, I hope.

EDIT2:
And now I've got an appointment scheduled with said therapist. But I'll get the basic rulebook sometime (probably late) tonight.

JBPuffin
2013-09-12, 05:59 PM
I'd rather you not work with Wandel's realm. I'm keeping everything about it under wraps. I've also already finished the various powers of the gods. If you'd like to read those, I can post those, but I've already got that done.

Ah. Well, in that case...what about the creatures for the Aesir realm? If that's not an option I'll start with Niflheim.

Grim_Wicked
2013-09-12, 08:55 PM
I'd like to do Muspellheim, is that all right?

Avianmosquito
2013-09-12, 09:58 PM
Asgard, Niflheim and Muspellheim are all good places. I'll get that ruleset to you tonight, right now I've got a screaming headache and need to lie down. (Therapy did NOT go well.)

Knaight
2013-09-12, 10:06 PM
If there's a light version of the rules with drastically fewer mechanics, I might be able to jump in and do a few. It seems like decent break material between homework chunks.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-12, 11:10 PM
If there's a light version of the rules with drastically fewer mechanics, I might be able to jump in and do a few. It seems like decent break material between homework chunks.

There is no "light" version. I'm only about 95% on the regular version as it is.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-13, 09:43 AM
Alright, guys. Things aren't going so hot on my end, I'm trying (read: failing) to find my little girl a good therapist, an endeavour that is presently taking a substantial portion of my time and most of my patience. And that won't change until I can find one because she takes priority.

I have two options for you.

1. I can upload an incomplete rulebook with little-no reference material sometime today when I have an hour or so to work. The skills are not done. All I've done is write down their names and the ability scores they use. I have maybe 5% of the weapons I intend to include done, and another 5% written down but without their entries. I have maybe fifty creatures, if you include the player races and character templates. I've got the basic armour entries written down, but none of the advanced stuff. (Special materials, for instance.) Really, there's not much here, but the core ruleset (other than the skills) is absolutely done. It might be enough for now.

2. I can wait to upload the rulebook until it's actually complete and I've got some reference material, likely once this all calms down, if the full details of the skills and the added reference material is really important.

Your call.

Grim_Wicked
2013-09-13, 09:49 AM
Hey, no problem! I totally understand that your daughter's health might be a bit more important than games. I have some semi-second-hand experience with therapists (girlfriend for the mental department and sister for the physical), and I know how hard it can be to find something fitting... Good luck with your search!

I'd personally vote for option 1. With the core rules we can at least start working on the monsters. Will that version of the rules also include a guide of sorts to the planes?

Avianmosquito
2013-09-13, 09:57 AM
Hey, no problem! I totally understand that your daughter's health might be a bit more important than games. I have some semi-second-hand experience with therapists (girlfriend for the mental department and sister for the physical), and I know how hard it can be to find something fitting... Good luck with your search!

It's not looking up. First therapist ignored her issues and kept trying to find the cause of her sexuality instead. Second one rarely spoke to her, focusing instead on me, and either ignored or talked right over the top of her every time she tried to speak. I am 100% certain neither of them was doing their job.

I'd personally vote for option 1. With the core rules we can at least start working on the monsters.

I figured, but didn't want to assume. I'll have that out today. I've got some work to do before hand and a lot of phone calls to make, but after that I can get to it. Shouldn't take more than an hour once I actually start on it. (Afternoon or evening.)

Will that version of the rules also include a guide of sorts to the planes?

Um, no. It wouldn't. There was a link above with a basic description, but if you need more either ask me directly or wait for the full rulebook. (I recommend option A.) I can also type up an extended setting guide here on the site before the full rulebook is done. (Really, I'd just be writing the setting section of the rulebook earlier than scheduled and copy-pasting it into the worldbuilding forum. But hey, it'll work.)

In the mean time, I have about two hours before I start making phone calls and spend most of the day doing that. I'm going to go make the best of them.

Grim_Wicked
2013-09-13, 10:19 AM
All right, I can work with the short description from the forum for the time being, probably, but in the long run I think I might want some more info. Is that paragraph all you have for the planes up to now? If so, it'd be a lot easier to deal with the freedom, I guess. :smalltongue:

Avianmosquito
2013-09-13, 10:25 AM
All right, I can work with the short description from the forum for the time being, probably, but in the long run I think I might want some more info. Is that paragraph all you have for the planes up to now? If so, it'd be a lot easier to deal with the freedom, I guess. :smalltongue:

I have more scattered or not written down. I can (and will) upload more. After the incomplete rulebook today, setting info will be priority one and should be done, at least for the requested realms, this weekend. After that, I should have the rulebook complete and a lot of material by next weekend or at the very latest the weekend after.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-14, 07:07 AM
Alright, I'm sorry, no excuses. I fell asleep. My daughter wanted to cuddle, so I let her up into my lap and she fell asleep. Within an hour, so did I. I'm not done transferring the creatures I already have off of my note pad. (I write creature sheets on the bus, to pass the time.) I'll get that done now. I'll edit the link into this post as soon as I have it up. It WILL be today.

EDIT:
How about I never make a promise about timeframes ever again? Yeah, that sounds good.

Grim_Wicked
2013-09-15, 09:39 PM
Lol. :smallbiggrin:

No problem though; we'll see it appear whenever it does.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-15, 11:50 PM
Lol. :smallbiggrin:

No problem though; we'll see it appear whenever it does.

Yeah, I went out to help my ex's friend move. My ex was paying me. (And not with money.) So this kinda got overruled.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-17, 09:26 AM
Would example weapons be at all valuable to you guys, in order to have something to compare with? (Keep in mind, creature attacks are almost always supposed to be much weapon than weapon attacks.)

On that note, I should mention that military forces in this system are practically unstoppable and intentionally so. Especially in high-tech settings where vehicles come into play. A creature that relies on brute force and size is a bad idea because all its size and power will do is get the military's attention and get it effortlessly stomped.

EDIT:

Also, as an addendum to my previous post and since I haven't gotten to martial weapons yet, my standard example weapon is the longsword. It's something I expect a lot of players to use because it is the default weapon in most other RPGs (although not this one) and its traits should be known if you're going to be making creatures because many of them will be killed with longswords. The longsword deals 2d8 slashing damage, gets +2 penetration when swinging and +2 damage when thrusting (although it still nets much less thrusting damage than swinging, this bonus is valuable anyway) and as a result deals (for a character with 10 strength) an average of 14 slashing and 5 bludgeon with 3 penetration on swing, 7 slashing with 2 penetration on swipe, 10 piercing and 5 bludgeon with 10 penetration on thrust, 4.5 piercing with 5 penetration on jab. The sword gets 3 bludgeon with 1 penetration for bashes, and 2 bludgeon with 1 penetration for shoves. This weapons has +100cm reach, so for most people 2m. A single turn of swings and/or thrusts will be enough to dispose of most enemies, especially since sword-wielding player characters will usually have upwards of 20 strength instead of 10. Keep in mind that this powerhouse is what your creatures will often be up against. Guard saves are effective against it, but other than that I'd recommend a combination of armour rating and damage reduction. (It's no coincidence that's how armour works.)

Another weapon to keep in mind is a bow, as every party in a low-tech setting will have archers. Yes, plural. A longbow will be the standard for most combatant classes, so let's look at that. A longbow deals 4 piercing with a broadhead, and at full draw (4) also deals 4 bludgeon with 4 penetration. At minimum draw (1) it still deals 1 bludgeon with 1 penetration, but almost every attack will be at full draw because why the hell not? The range increment is 8m, so it loses penetration every 40m and damage after 160m until it runs out of damage at 480m. At minimum it loses all penetration at 40m and doesn't deal damage beyond 240m. You might also want to keep this in mind, lest your creature be used as an impromptu pincushion before it becomes a threat. Damage reduction works wonders against bows, since neither their damage nor their penetration is especially high, but armour rating and guard saves are very good as well since arrows are easier to deflect than melee weapons. Speed is also a good counter for melee creatures.

In higher tech settings, you'd probably be looking at a rifle. Let's look at a typical modern-day rifle, in 7.62x51mm NATO. This weapon deals 2 puncture and 3 bludgeon with 20 penetration. As a ranged weapon, you must consider range increment. The range increment of this rifle is 20m, so that means every 20m your chance to hit falls 5% and every 100m your penetration falls by 1. Your rifle doesn't start losing damage until it is 2000m away, and still deals damage up to 2500m. This weapon might not deal as much damage as a sword, but it skips most armour at most ranges, and can hit from hundreds of metres away for good (if not stellar) damage. Your creature concept might want to keep this in mind as well, because people will be shooting it with rifles like this one. It might be a good idea to focus on not getting hit, since it would take absurd DR or resistance to reduce the damage from this weapon. High defence should work, as should a high movement speed.

In really high-tech settings, energy weapons might be part of the equation. A good example would be a laser battle rifle from Svartalfaheim. The laser battle rifle deals 10 thermal and 10 concussive damage, with 4 penetration. Laser weapons usually have a 20m range increment, this one is no exception. It loses penetration every 100m as a result, and loses damage after 400m. It still deals damage out to 2400m. In space, the range increment is 100m, so it loses penetration every 500m, losing damage after 2km and stops dealing damage after 12km. But it's an anti-personnel weapon, it doesn't need to hit from hundreds of kilometres away, even that range increment is almost silly how long it is. If a creature is on the surface of a planetoid with no atmosphere, it's probably screwed because of that ridiculous range and avoiding being shot by this weapon or being resistant to this weapon might be a good idea or the party will blast it down before it can even see them. Even in atmosphere, they might take a lot of damage in a hurry if they aren't armoured, even though these weapons fire very slowly. (Set maximum of 1/turn.) In both cases, it's a good idea to keep these in mind if the setting has them. DR and ED are effective, since the weapon lacks in penetration.

There are even energy melee weapons. These weapons don't get bonus damage or penetration from strength in any attack. A good example would be a flame sword, from Alfheim. This weapon deals 4d8 fire damage, +4 on jabs or thrusts and +10 on swipes or swings. It has 0 penetration, +4 on jabs and +10 on thrusts. This means it deals an average of 28 fire on a swing with 0 penetration, 14 on swipes with 0 penetration, 12 on thrusts with 10 penetration, 8.5 on jabs with 4 penetration. It still only deals 3 bludgeon on bashes and cannot be used to shove. High damage, but somewhat impractical and definitely inferior to kinetic weapons for high-strength characters. This weapon will often be used by many lower-strength characters in Alfheim, so it's something to keep in mind if you do anything in Alfheim or (to a lesser extent) Asgard. If you wish to prevent a creature from having its limbs incinerated the moment they get in range, an ED/DR combo is probably your best bet.

And, of course, we have bombs. Let's take a look at a decent hand grenade here, the M67. The M67 is a thrown weapon, which means it has a range increment of 2+2*STR rank, or 4m for most people. The maximum range of a thrown weapon is equal to five times its velocity, which in this case is 1+1*STR mod or 6m/s with base stats. So a typical person can throw a grenade 30m with a hard throw. It detonates on the next turn. The grenade deals 5 concussive AoE and 10 piercing AoE, having a blast increment of 2m for the concussive damage and 6m for the piercing damage. This means the grenade ceases to deal concussive damage at 10m (although practically much less, due to DR) and piercing damage at 60m. (Again, practically much less.) As you probably noticed, at the 30m you can throw the grenade, it would deal 5 piercing AoE damage to the user. AoE damage is debilitating, as it damages all limbs with 1/2 the placement critical effect. The critical threat on this weapon is 19-20, x1, and only impacts the critical effect of the damage types, as it is an AoE weapon. (This means DC 10-15 fortitude save or deafened, and shrapnel sticks for 1-10 pain per turn of action until removed, 1-10 extra bleed damage per turn for 2 turns once removed.) This is easily countered with DR, a DR of 15 makes a target immune to this weapon and any less shortens its range considerably. Otherwise, group creatures with just a bit of DR can spread out to reduce its effect.

Spells might be good too. Here's a few examples.

Fireball is a familiar chain of explosive spells, which actually start at 1st level here. The 3rd one, which is just "fireball", is 5th level and is the case in point. The spell deals 1d10+1/2CL fire damage, at maximum 13th level averaging 12.5 in an explosive attack, critical 15-20, x0. (Critical forces DC 10-18 fortitude save, else ignition for 8-17 fire damage per turn, decreasing 1/turn. DR still applies to it, so it's not as much as it sounds.) The ball travels 50m/s, with a range increment (impacting spell damage directly, rather than attack) of 40m. The blast increment is 6m so -1 to damage every 6m. With a roll of 5, it ceases to deal damage at 72m. With a roll of 6, 78m. Maximum roll of 10, 102m. Granted, at that distance the damage it deals is probably blocked by enemy DR anyway. This is a favourite, so plan for any creature that attacks in groups to get blasted with this spell. A little DR goes a long way, simply wearing armour can prevent the blast from dealing any damage.

Lance is a powerful single-target spell and the most powerful of the kinetic "spear" chain. This spell is 10th level and extremely powerful. The focused blast deals 4d6+CL concussive damage, at maximum 25 averaging 40 with 5 penetration and a travel speed of 340m/s. Critical 15-20, x2. (Target must succeed a DC 15-65 fortitude save or be deafened.) 6m range increment, so it loses penetration every 30m and begins to lose damage after 150. It'll finally run out of damage after 960m on an average roll. If you want a creature to not have its lungs turned to pulp by any high-level caster I'd recommend damage reduction, or else a high defence to prevent the attack from connecting. Long range might also be a good idea, since targeted spells have fairly limited range.

Acid shower is another AoE spell, and is a 4th level spell in the "Acid Rain" series. It deals 1d4+1/2CL acid damage, 1d4+5 at max caster level 10, but impacts everything within a 50m radius for full damage with no blast increment. It does have a range increment, though, travelling outward as a ball of acid until reaching the desired location, at 20m/s with a 20m range increment. Critical 13-20, x0. (DC 13-14 fortitude save or be acidified, 3d2-5d2 acid damage per turn decreasing 1d2 every other turn.) A nice alternative to the more powerful ball spells, as it is easier to work with and more effective against mild reduction effects on spread out enemies. If you seek to make a group-attacking creature resistant to this attack, damage reduction still works but has to be a bit higher than it would against other 4th-level spells as "ball" type spells can be countered simply by spreading out and this spell cannot. That said, DR 10 and this spell is *useless*.

Debilitating ray is a single-target debuff chain, and the 7th level version "greater debilitating ray" is the case in point. -4 to every ability score and -1 to base move speed, one minute per caster level up to 18th level. This spell can absolutely wreck some creatures that have a single low ability score. If you wish a creature to be especially vulnerable to this spell and its ilk, make it have 1-3 strong ability score penalties. If you wish it to be fairly strong against it don't give it any ability score penalties. This spell is meant to debuff bosses without having to chose a single ability score to penalize, and against weak creatures it is largely a waste.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-18, 02:00 PM
I'm working on it right now, but I'm leaving in a couple minutes. I'll work on in more when I get home. I'm going to release it tonight, no matter how many of these creatures I've managed to transfer from my notes. (I create creatures on the bus, on a note pad.) Even if that's none. ESPECIALLY if that's none. I can add more as I go. It WILL be today.

EDIT:
Make that "tomorrow morning", because I just got home and I'm too tired to do anything right now.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-19, 11:54 AM
I'm going to upload it right now.

EDIT:

View link:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/cvfx70pg7pa1uv4/Change.pdf

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvfx70pg7pa1uv4/Change.pdf

I'm going to be updating this a lot. The view link kinda sucks because I don't see a way to zoom, but I'll be updating a LOT and will alert you when I do so, so be ready to re-download frequently.

It is NOT done and very clearly so. There are whole sections with no content, a few ideas that need to be scrapped and I didn't set up the navigation. I've been busy, I'll get to it. For now, it should be good enough.

EDIT:
Just fixed a couple major errors. Bleed's constitution check was written wrong, perception was missing its bonuses to ranged attacks, there was an error caused by sloppy use of word's find/replace feature, and armour cap/check was written wrong.

I still haven't written out the skills or the breakable weapons system, I haven't written down the bash or shove attacks and the realms are not done. Bear with me on those.

JBPuffin
2013-09-20, 04:37 PM
Given that I won' have computer access for a week at a time every other week...no time predictions isn't a problem. Will read the current rules over the weekend and such, will have something before the end of next week.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-20, 04:37 PM
Given that I won' have computer access for a week at a time every other week...no time predictions isn't a problem. Will read the current rules over the weekend and such, will have something before the end of next week.

Thank you. Any help at all will be appreciated.

Here's a scary little concept that might get those creative juices flowing: In this setting, people believing in a creature can make it real. The more people who believe in it, the more likely this is to occur and the more powerful it becomes. These creatures inherit the massively overpowered "divine" creature type, regenerate lives and regain a life (up to their limit) every time they gain a creature grade.

Tales of these creatures spread quickly, increasing their power. In the modern world it can spread globally, at the speed of light. In less than a year, a local boogieman can go from a harmless little ghoulie easily beaten to death by an infant to a deadly monster that can shrug off small arms fire, without changing motivation at all.

The boogieman your kid dreams up that wants to eat them may become real and, if the news catches wind of it, come back to life over and over again trying to kill them and others, with the ability to break through most common defences and the durability to ignore your shotgun and possibly handgun.

I don't know about you, but a deadly creature you can only kill with rifles, magic or melee coming into existance to terrorize your kids just because they believe in it and rapidly becoming a threat because others start to believe in it is terrifying. And a good source of monster ideas, obviously.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-22, 06:55 PM
Making my first big simplification right now. I am removing resistance from the ruleset. Immunity will remain.

EDIT:
It is done.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-24, 10:05 PM
I went in to campus yesterday. I got on an "alien" kick during that time. Probably because my iPod landed me with Tool's "Rosetta Stoned". I wrote the rules for three sapient "raider" species, one of their vehicles and six of their weapons. I'm doing LIFO, so I'm adding those to the rulebook now. They are:

Red:
The largest species of raider, and their most common soldiers against all opponents as a result of their large size and greater durability. As their name suggests, their skin is a brownish-red colour, although their irises are black. (Giving the illusion of enormous pupils.) Like all raiders, they have large heads with bulbous, round craniums, extremely large eyes, no nose, long chins and smooth jawlines. Their arms are thin, being of relatively consistent thickness above and below the elbow. Their legs are very short and squat, thick above the knee and very thin below. They range from 160-200cm and 70-90kg, averaging 180cm and 80kg.

Medium humanoid
-4 CON
+4 PER
Receives double ED, but no AR, from natural armour.
+5 ED
Immunity 25% (Energy, Force)
+2 attack with weapons that deal energy or force damage
-4 attack with melee weapons
-2 attack with non-energy, non-force ranged weapons
Weakness, 2x (Bludgeon, Puncture, Slashing, Piercing)
Head has 5HD, +4 Innate and active defence
Torso has 5HD
Locomotion limbs have 2HD, +4 Innate and active defence
Locomotion extremities have 1HD, +8 Innate and active defence
Tool limbs have 1HD, +8 Innate and active defence
Tool extremities have 1HD, +10 innate and active defence

Grey:
The best known species of raider, their most common scouts and the intermediate in size. As their name suggests, they have grey skin. They have the same physical traits as reds, but are smaller. They range from 100-140cm and 30-40kg, averaging 120cm and 35kg.

Small humanoid
-2 STR
-2 CON
+4 PER
+4 RES
+10 ED
Torso has 5HD

Green:
The most common variety of raider, and their most common pilots. They are the smallest in size, but are surprisingly strong defensively. As their name suggests, they have green skin. They have the same physical traits as reds and greys, but are smaller. They range from 60-100cm and 10-15kg, averaging 120cm and 35kg.

Tiny humanoid
-4 STR
-2 CON
+10 PER
+4 RES
+15 ED
Torso has 5HD

Saucer gunship: (Not being added to the rulebook until I add a whole new section on vehicles)
The most commonplace raider military vessel, most commonly seen as they investigate new areas. These vessels are small, only 10m across, and house a crew of 2. The missiles are controlled by the pilot, all other weapons by the co-pilot/gunner. The vehicle has a max takeoff weight of 20t, and an empty weight of 7t, for a load capacity of 13t.

Huge machine
100 strength
Uses user's agility, capped at 20. (Cap is reduced by agility damage.)
Uses user's perception, capped at 20. (Cap is reduced by agility damage.)
40 charisma (free, automatic intimidate checks with total +20 modifiers, overrides your charisma on intimidate checks)
Uses user's resolve, not capped.
+5 Colossal natural armour (+1 AR/ED, +15 DR)
+10 AR
+20 ED
DR 10(Force)/--
DR 20(Energy)/--
Energy: This ship has an energy pool of 1,000,000. This recharges at a rate of 10/turn, from a fuel supply equivalent to 10,000,000. (Fuel rules are optional, like equipment damage.)
Base movement rate: 0m/s (cannot move on the ground)
Base fly speed: 10m/s "walk", 30m/s "jog", 90m/s "sprint", 270m/s "boost"
Space acceleration: 0.1m/s acceleration in space "walking", 0.3m/s "jogging", 0.9m/s "sprinting", 2.7m/s "boosting". Cannot fire cannons while using boost.
Consumes 1pt/turn energy "walking", 10/turn "jogging", 100/turn "sprinting", 1000/turn "boosting".
Turn speed: Can turn 360 degrees per second walking, 180 degrees per second
Escape: This ship can, while boosting, shut down its shields, lock its missile hatches and engage a special, highly limited "escape" travel speed. This consumes 10,000/turn energy and increases its speed to 810m/s (~Mach 2.4) or 8.1m/s acceleration in space. This is meant to be used to escape a planet's atmosphere, and is extremely taxing on the ship's energy supply, but can be used for other things. Cannot turn while using the "escape" action, cannot use this action for less than one minute.
Planar drive: This ship can plane shift under its own power at the expense of 1,000,000 energy. Charging the planar drive take 100 turns, consuming 10,000 energy per turn.
Sensors: 10x detection increments, 100x in space.
Ray shield: 10,000HP energy shield. Provides an ED and DR(Energy, Force)/-- of 1 for every 10HP remaining. It also provides an immunity of 50% as long as it has more than 50% health remaining and 25% as long as it has any health remaining. Once this shield breaks, it does not regenerate until it goes one turn without the ship being hit. Regenerates 10hp/turn with a cost of 50/hp. Gets its own ED, but not DR. (Every hit causes full damage to it.) Cannot be used at the same time as the particle shield.
Particle shield: 5000hp energy shield. Provides AR, ED and DR(Kinetic, Energy, Force)/-- of 1 for every 10hp remaining. It also provides an immunity of 50% as long as it has more than 50% health remaining and 25% as long as it has any health remaining. Once this shield breaks, it does not regenerate until it goes one turn without the ship being hit. Regenerates from energy at 5hp/turn with a cost of 100/hp. Gets its own AR and ED, but not DR. Cannot be used at the same time as the ray shield.
Twin 5MJ anti-personnel blaster cannons: Twin cannons each deal 50 electric and 50 concussive damage with 15 penetration, extra 50 heat and 50 force on crit. Additional 200 damage to shields. Has a critical of 19-20, x1. Range increment 20m, 200m in space, velocity 1km/s. Base attack bonus -10, additional -1*movement rate. Semi-automatic, maximum rate of fire 10/turn each, -2 recoil penalty. Consumes 100 energy/shot. Cannot be fired while firing the shieldbreaker.
Shieldbreaker: Beam cannon locks onto target once it hits. Once hitting, this cannon can continue to fire for as long as six seconds, dealing 250 electric damage per second, 0 penetration. If initial contact is a critical hit, this damage doubles to 500/second. If diffused (hits below ED), this cannot crit. Deals ten times damage to shields, but cannot damage anything shielded until its shields are down. Breaking the shield removes the target lock. Automatically breaks lock if the target is not within 90 degrees of the ship's front. Has a critical of 17-20, x0. Range increment 10m, velocity 100,000,000m/s, does not work in space. Base attack bonus -10, additional -1*movement rate. Consumes 500 energy on attack, and 250/second afterwards. Cannot be fired while firing blasters.
Shield-breacher missile: This ship carries 16 small missiles, and can fire them two at a time twice per round, independently of other weapons fire. Each packs a miniature fusion rocket and pure fusion warhead with a 1t yield. Missiles are homing and self propelled (no range increment, changes course to hit moving targets), turns 45 degree per second, 45 degrees per turn in space, have a maximum range of 100km, 10,000km in space. Beyond this they are dumbfire, with a 1m range increment, 10m in space. Velocity is 2km/s, (~Mach 6) with an acceleration in space of 20m/s. Deals 100 AoE concussive damage with 0 penetration, 4m blast increment. In space, it has a 1m blast increment. Missiles in flight have an ED of 100, with their own miniature 500hp particle shields, and skip enemy energy shields of all forms.
8x Point-defence turrets: Automatic blasters on the ship's sides engage enemy machines the pilot has targeted (quick action each) and any missiles locked on the ship are engaged automatically. (Ignoring the pilot's other targets.) These blasters can *only* target machines and missiles. These cannons deal 5 electric and 5 concussive damage, 20 extra to shields, another 5 heat and 5 force on critical hits. Critical threat 19-20, x1. (No user bonuses.) Range increment 20m, 200m in space, velocity 1km/s. Base attack bonus -20, additional -2*movement rate. Automatic, 10/second. Consumes 10 energy/shot. Each turret will target whichever of the pilot's designated enemies they can hit, each can hit within 90 degrees of their side of the ship, or the back in the rear turret's case, but the top turrets can only hit targets above or level and the bottom turrets can only hit targets below or level. These weapons attack during every character's turn.
Hull has 10HD(400hp)
Hull damage disables shields and "escape" when the hull falls to 75%, recharge slowed to 5/turn and maximum energy reduced 25%. Turret and "sprint" disabled at 50%, recharge slowed to 0/turn and maximum energy reduced 50%. Missiles, "jog" and "walk" at 25%, ship falls and ejects escape pod, maximum energy reduced 75%. At 0%, the ship is destroyed.
Gun turret (blasters & shield breaker) has 2HD(80hp), +20 ID
Turret loses half damage at 75% condition (and damages itself for the other half), ceases function at 50% condition, cannot be repaired at 25% and explodes at 0% for 150 heat, 100 electric and 50 concussive damage, automatic critical, to the ships's hull, skipping armour, with a blast increment of 4m.
Missile bays each have 2HD(80hp), +20 ID
Missile bays cannot fire at 50% condition, explodes at 0%, dealing 50 concussive damage with 0 penetration and a 2m blast increment, per missile, skipping the ship's armour.
Point defence turrets each have 1HD (40hp), do not receive benefit from the ship's armour or inherent damage reduction, +40 ID.
Point defence blasters lose half damage at 75% condition (and damage themselves for the other half), cease function at 50% condition, cannot be repaired at 25% and explode at 0% for 5 heat and 5 concussive damage, automatic critical, to the ships's hull, skipping armour, with a blast increment of 4m.
Cockpit/Escape pod has 5HD(200HP), +10 ID
Escape pod can only be turned above 75% condition (otherwise flies straight), can only eject if above 50% condition and can only fly at all above 25% condition, otherwise falling.

Pocket blaster:
Martial weapon proficiency, blaster pistol
Size: Tiny
Range increment: 10m
Velocity: 1km/s
Critical: 15-20, x1
Damage: 1 electric, 1 concussive
Attack: +5
Penetration: 10
Health: 5
DR: 10
Weight: 100g
Capacity: Single 10-shot battery
Special: Deals an extra 1 heat and 1 force on critical. Deals an additional 4 damage against energy shields. One handed, light sidearm. User gets a +4 to conceal this weapon on their person.

Blaster pistol:
Size: Small
Damage: 2 electric, 2 concussive
Health: 10
Weight: 400g
Special: Deals an extra 2 heat and 2 force on critical. Deals an additional 8 damage against energy shields. One handed, light sidearm. User gets a +2 to conceal this weapon on their person.

Magnum blaster:
Size: Medium
Damage: 3 electric, 3 concussive
Health: 20
Weight: 800g
Capacity: Single 10-shot battery, interchangeable with personal defence blaster batteries
Special: Deals an extra 3 heat and 3 force on critical. Deals an additional 12 damage against energy shields. One handed, light sidearm. User gets a +1 to conceal this weapon on their person.

Personal defence blaster:
Martial weapon proficiency, blaster rifle
Size: Tiny
Range increment: 20m
Damage: 3 electric, 3 concussive
Health: 10
Weight: 1500g
Capacity: Single 10-shot battery, interchangeable with magnum blaster batteries
Special: Deals an extra 3 heat and 3 force on critical. Deals an additional 12 damage against energy shields. Two handed weapon.

Blaster carbine:
Size: Small
Damage: 4 electric, 4 concussive
Health: 20
Weight: 3kg
Special: Deals an extra 4 heat and 4 force on critical. Deals an additional 16 damage against energy shields. Two handed weapon.

Blaster rifle:
Size: Medium
Damage: 5 electric, 5 concussive
Health: 40
Weight: 6kg
Special: Deals an extra 5 heat and 5 force on critical. Deals an additional 20 damage against energy shields. Two handed weapon.

Raider apparel:
The special suits worn by raiders are designed specifically to defend against energy weapons. They get -5 armour rating, but +5 energy defence. They are weak against all five kinetic damage types, but are strong against heat, cold, electricity, acid and force.

Shielded raider apparel:
These suits are similar to regular raider apparel, but come with a compact reactor and shield the covered body part. These have half normal health and do not get any bonuses from quality to their normal characteristics, but provide a ray shield (see above) with a strength of 0 for light clothing, 100 for medium, 200 for heavy, 300 for light armour, 400 for medium or 500 for heavy, +100 for each quality grade above. May generate a particle shield instead at half strength. Ray shields regenerate 2/turn or particle shield 1/turn. This costs 50/hp for ray shields or 100/hp for particle shields, from a pool equal to 100 times the shield's max health. The suit's reactor has a fuel supply of ten times this much. The shield's charge and charge rate are cut in half when the armour hits 50% condition, and both stop completely at 25%.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-26, 11:13 AM
Should I bother posting here when I create new things, or just add them to the rulebook with a note?

EDIT:
Rewrote encumbrance.

Avianmosquito
2013-09-30, 07:15 PM
MASSIVE revisions today, all simplifications.

1. Changed limb damage to be much simpler.
2. Changed shock and incapacitation to be much simpler.
3. Changed vitality and critical hit interaction, to keep criticals from being useless against enemies with VP.
4. Removed the mystic, replaced with the spellsword class. (Serious glass cannon.)
5. Finally wrote out the scout.
6. Made note of a couple rules that were optional and weren't marked as such.