PDA

View Full Version : Spells for a Mounted Druid [PF]

Amphetryon
2013-09-06, 09:19 AM
As indicated in the title, what spells would you, personally, choose if you wished to play a PF Druid who focused on Mounted Combat? Assume anything linked to the PFSRD is fair game. If it matters, he's a Half-Elf, riding a Tiger.

Korahir
2013-09-06, 12:53 PM
I feel like we need more information for advice since your role is more crucial than the fact you are riding.

PF druids generally rely basically on either battlefield control or selfbuff gototowninwildshape spells. For a riding focussed character both is possible since you can just buff your mount up. Personally I think I'd focus on battlefield control and use your formidable movespeed while riding in conjunction with entangle and sleet storm.

Amphetryon
2013-09-06, 01:37 PM
I feel like we need more information for advice since your role is more crucial than the fact you are riding.

PF druids generally rely basically on either battlefield control or selfbuff gototowninwildshape spells. For a riding focussed character both is possible since you can just buff your mount up. Personally I think I'd focus on battlefield control and use your formidable movespeed while riding in conjunction with entangle and sleet storm.

Party has a Magus focusing on claw attacks, a Necromancer, and an Oracle. The Magus and the Druid/AC are the melee combatants; the Druid's secondary role is BFC (healing as a tertiary shtick), as healing, debuffing, and direct damage are all reasonably covered. The way encounters are currently being handled makes the "self-buff" route difficult to time, as it keeps the Druid effectively out of the first Round of combat at a minimum, thereby making the fights harder, not easier.

I've already got spells chosen, but would be interested in how others would select spells for the Character.

Korahir
2013-09-07, 03:37 AM
Here are my personal druid favourites. Even with primary melee i like me my BFC.

Obscuring Mist, Entangle, Faerie Fire, CLW, (Hydraulic Push)
Fog Cloud, Soften earth and stone, lesser restoration, flaming sphere, Chill (heat) metal, Stone call
Aqueous orb, Sleet storm, stone shape, spike growth, greater magic fang
Air walk, Freedom of movement, (strong jaw)
animal growth, control winds, wall of thorns, (baleful polymorph)
Wall of stone, Liveoak, (spellstaff)
Heal, Changestaff,

I'll stop here.