PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow a warrior skald at your table unchanged?

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 11:16 AM
Okay so overall, I have a player who is a a paladin , using the inspire courage ACF.

I am looking at the warrior skald which, is obviously 3.0, but it has arguments going for it in both pro and cons.

Cons

It is full BAB
It dumps full bardic progression in a one level dip(I think)
Sudden power jump when you just step into the class.
Combat Friendly entry of Cleave and Power Attack
Decent Saves bonus for Fort and Reflex

Pro:

It is a paladin entry, so not like suddenly becomes a wizard
Does have a skill points tax not just the perform, but you also need another perform of 9 points, and 6 points in concentrate
No spell progression
Low HP for a melee entry class
They have promised to take more then one level of the class
Very weak will saves
We do not have a bard in the party, so no stepping on toes

Unknowns:
Weird future PRC choices, now that they have bardic music
Does using suggest count against a paladins code of honor(even if lenient on this)

That lower HP could really get annoying and be a hindrance to the party

Fax Celestis
2013-09-06, 11:40 AM
Warrior Skald is fine.

ArcturusV
2013-09-06, 11:53 AM
The thing about suggestion, and enchantment in general, is that it's ability to effect things like Codes, Honor, and Alignment are entirely up to how the player uses it. There's nothing inherently evil with it, or chaotic. Possibly could rule Dishonorable if you're a stickler and say things like "Well it's not HONORABLE to avoid combat with a worthy foe because you enchanted him and told him he should give up the fight and go back to farming..."

But it's all down to just what he suggests. I find that typically with players? Yeah, it's a problem and it might need a fall. But that's because they tend to abuse it badly. Really badly. So much so I sometimes have to reach across the table and punch them as I tell them that isn't cool.

I'll leave what happens to cause that up to your imagination. Just suffice to say it's warranted.

But as long as s/he doesn't abuse the Suggestions? I'd call it fine. If you're an agent of good non-violently ending threats by Suggestion seems like a fine way to go.

Firechanter
2013-09-07, 04:07 AM
IIRC - and it's been a long time - Bardic Music works a bit differently in 3.0. The effects of Inspire Courage and suchlike were not tied to level, but to your perform check, if memory serves. I guess a decent adaptation to 3.5 would be to grant it Bardic Music progression based on your total character levels.

unseenmage
2013-09-07, 05:02 AM
Sure, but he'd better stop off and pick up some Mt Dew.
Everybody's got to contribute at our table.

Khatoblepas
2013-09-07, 05:28 AM
I think you've got the pros and cons mixed up - all the cons are positive things and all the pros are negative things?

Anyway, Warrior Skald is completely alright, even for a one level dip. The second level could be useful circumstantially, but otherwise it's a pretty weak class.

I don't think using Suggestion counts against the Paladin's code. It's more a Jedi Mind Trick than actual mind control. I would be completely lenient about it unless they're playing a Paladin of Freedom. So long as the suggestions are benign ("I'll open the gate for you.") ("Maybe a nice lie down in my bed would help me.") it should be okay. After all, it's just a Paladin. He needs all the help he can get.

Necroticplague
2013-09-07, 12:20 PM
I think you've got the pros and cons mixed up - all the cons are positive things and all the pros are negative things?

He's worried about it being too powerful, so things that up its power are bad things, and things that keep it in check are good things.

Urpriest
2013-09-07, 02:05 PM
The power level is irrelevant, you're setting bad precedent. Next the Psion will want Persistent Power's 3.0 version.

Always always always update 3.0 content to 3.5 before using it. Bringing things forward unaltered just causes rules headaches.