PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the World Serpent Inn (IC) (3.5)

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 11:18 AM
You're exhausted, in a borderline comatose state from a hard days work. what you thought was another building, perhaps your home or a shop turns out to be not quite what you thought. You walk in without really being aware of it all, not being aware of what just conspired. The door behind you closes with a snap. That noise makes you jump, bringing you to full attention.

you begin to notice that this isnt where you meant to go. worse yet, when you turn to open the door, the view is that of a strange forest you've never seen before. As if on instinct, you slam the door (panicked, no doubt). when you open it again in doubt, the place outside is completely different, the door leads to a privy. you try shutting and opening the door a few more times, each time it shows a different location.

The old man behind the counter calls out, "stop slamming my door! you're making too much racket. come on in and have a drink, you'll feel better after a moment." A few people at the tables chuckle, as if they're in on the joke.

You notice that inside is a well decorated two-story Inn with at least two-dozen tables are on the bottom floor, roughly half full with all kinds of patrons. Along the back wall there are two open doors and a central bar between that. Above the back bar, you see a sign reading this in large letters:

The World Serpent Inn
No Violence Allowed, Enjoy Yourselves

Creatures from all walks and places sit at the various tables... Celestials sharing tables with both humanoids and fiends, playing poker like friends, no less... A cluster of bards at corner table, singing tales of strange worlds that lie just outside the doors of the inn. Adventurers and travelers enter and exit from the bar's two corridors, each on the left and right wall. next to that are two staircases leading up to the sleeping rooms, you presume.

Down each corridor are Doors... dozens of them. Up and down the two twisting corridors on either sides of the bottom floor. You can see the doors are all very different. worse yet, none have a name plaques. Some are locked and chained but many appear normal doors, many more are not. Some don't have handles, some have many. Some doors have faces and some are oddly shaped. some don't appear to open at all, and some are just walls pretending to be doors.

Behind the bar stands an old man of venerable age. he wears a strange three-piece blue suit, rather formal in appearance. His hair is white and his eyes are golden slits, like that of a dragon's. hanging on the wall behind him is a long rope with numerous attached clip-on key rings. Hanging from the various rings are numerous keys in every imaginable size and shape. A single door lies off to either side of the bar, a kitchen clearly visible from within. Barmaids, most of which are halflings dressed in blue outfits, enter and exit from time to time, carrying food and beverages around the Inn.

Inn Starting Map:
http://i.imgur.com/U935wf3.jpg

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 11:22 AM
As you make your way to the bar, stunned by what has happened, you sit down at the long table. The old man in blue hands you a three fold paper menu. The foods are familiar enough to easily place an order, although some of the meals are truly strange and alien in nature.

"The name is Benjamin, I'm the bartender and proprietor of the Inn. Make yourself comfortable for awhile and then we can get down to business."

Morbis Meh
2013-09-06, 12:09 PM
Xavier couldn't recall how long he had been awake analyzing the mountain of scrolls he had accumulated in his desk but subconciously he knew he had been here long enough to require some form of nourishment and probably a bath. To be truth he didn't have time for a bath and he wasn't overly hungry though that was usually the case when he found a new subject to obsess over. The topic of focus for the past few weeks had been an interdimensional nexus that existed outside of space and time and those who were lucky enough to find it had the ability to access an infinite number of worlds. The sheer amount of knowledge one could gain from these worlds was quite simply staggering but the truly difficult part was finding a way there. Xavier had browsed through countless rituals, summoning circles and conjurings but alas the location or means to arrive at this nexus was still out of his grasp.

Out of the blue another natural function decided to act up and this wasn't the type of function that would be denied. Cursing to himself, Dr. Elwood gets up from his seat within the library and grabs his bellongings. He probably could have left it there but he didn't trust those damn grubby cretins with his valuables. It didn't take long reach the lavoratory to relieve himself but upon exiting he suddenly found himself in the oddest of places and the sudden slam of the door behind him caused him to jump. The laughs from the other patrons greatly annoyed Xavier but he burried his baser desires down inside himself and made his way to the elderly chap. Along the way he notices the name of the establishment World Serpent Inn? What a peculiar name for a nexus but I suppose the founding of a tavern in such a place is rather logical and most certainly profitable....

The doctor chooses and seat and sits down across from the proprietor of the inn and nods "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Benjamin, my name is Dr. Xavier Elwood Esq. but Dr. Elwood is fine." He gingerly grabs the menu and casually glances at it "I would like to start my order off with a Martini, stirred, not shaken; you wouldn't believe how many people mess that up ever since that trashy pulp fiction graced mainstream culture... Also I would like the poached salmon with rice pilaf, hold the broccoli it does a number to my bowels and I have no desire to sit upon a toilet for hours." Xavier sets down the menu and raises an eyebrow at this 'Benjamin' "Now you mentioned business, obviously you have some method of dectecting ones intentions to find this place therefore that would make you a diviner of sorts. If you're planning on instructing me on proper procedure for entering and exiting worlds located within this establishment that would be greatly appreciated."

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 12:38 PM
Benjamin pours the blended drink into the appropriate glass, salting the edge before sliding it across the bar table without spilling it. The little umbrella he sat inside spins of its own accord, slowly stirring the drink.

"Why, yes... Doctor Elwood.

I figured I'd 'borrow' you and a few others for a little adventure. See there is a few things I need done and I've come to the conclusion that only a few are specifically cut out for such an adventure. I realize I will get some sort of rejection and complaints, but we are really out of time, on the whole.

We're talking about a trip into the planes themselves, surely I dont need to tell you what dangers await you. That being said, we still await your companions."

A rather large creature, heavily covered in horns and scales, approaches the bar. The air around Dr. Elwood is filled the smell of brimstone. A voice that seethes with anger and hate radiates from a flame-lined mouth.

"Another, Benjamin! Araciel is cleaning me out again... Those soul gems were really valuable, too..."

The bartender nods, glancing at the table where an angel is sitting. Next to the angel, a large pile of gemstones flicker with an inner light.

"One moment."

Morbis Meh
2013-09-06, 01:04 PM
Picks up the galss and smirks at the umbrella "How cute... Oh yes dangers range from: decapitation, burning, disembowelment, disfigurment, freezing, electroction, disintigration, enslavement, possession, disgestion and clingly people who just won't leave you alone. I think that list just about covers it but then again I may be simplfying for the sake of expedience..." He takes a sip of his drink and takes the time to savour it Not bad... I have had better but then again taste is such a subjective measurement. Now he did mention others would be joining myself meaning i will have plenty of meatshields to deal with the heavy lifting. I just hope they are too stupid to destroy priceless artifacts or books.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-06, 03:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/apsoxqI.png http://i.imgur.com/YshiMNh.png

BOOM!

The door to the inn slams open, and in strides Acamor, dressed in the blackened steel of a hobgoblin warrior, military fork at the ready. Clearly ready for a fight, he slows uncertainly as he is assaulted with mocking laughter. Turning around, he opens the door, closes it, opens it again, met with a foreign landscape each time. Eventually, he lowers his weapon and heads to the bar where a strangely attired old man is beckoning him.

"I am Acamor Eldur, and I was expecting to be somewhere else. What is this place? Some magics are at work here, to be sure." His voice is a low rasp, and further muffled by the steel mask that fully covers his face.

Glancing at the menu that is slid towards him, Acamor is surprised to see a familiar drink, "You serve Blood Whisky here? Not many besides hobgoblins have the taste for that."

Moonwolf727
2013-09-06, 04:41 PM
The wooden door to the tavern creaked open once more, a delicate round female face with curved features, semi-short brown hair and eyes only a shade darker peaked though to cast her gaze around before stepping in to reveal the full person attached. As it turns out it was a fairly attractive woman wearing a sundress several shades of green and cream that covered down to only a fair bit above her ankles, she was wearing ordinary brown sandals on her sockless feat as she shuffled oncomfortably under the patrons gaze. Around her shoulders were two sets of straps, one of which belonged to her dress, and the others to a rough tan backpack that looked far less bulky than its contents would imply. Adorning her neck was a gold-chain on which hung a small opal model of what appeared to be a cane while her left wrist was covered by a thin leather strip on which dangled a silver holy symbol of Hoar.

Lelli quietly half bent to dust off her dress after she had closed and stepped away from the door, the laughing that chorused shortly after caused her to blush and wander towards the bar itself. She gingerly took a place on one of the barstools, only one seat between herself and the person whom she think she heard the barman call 'Doctor Elwood'. The name would've struck a chord in her memory if she had been thinking about that rather than worrying about her sudden appearance in the tavern, specifically whether the people here were judging her or not.

She slumped slightly at the bar, her bust preventing her from sinking any further, and tried not to draw any attention to herself. She'd rather let the others soak it up but she was the newest of three sudden arrivals, Lelli couldn't talk to people if her life depended on it. Not casually anyway. After the others had ordered their drinks she gently raised her hand, a single finger extended to get Benjamin's attention, she spoke softly, still hoping to not be noticed despite the fact she was now engaging in a conversation "I couldn't just trouble you for some water could I? I'd just have my own but places like this usually have rules against outside drink don't they? Sorry, I don't come to bars often.... not to drink anyway." She lowered her head and sat quietly after that, listening to the explanation and daydreaming somewhat about various things in between actually paying attention.

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 05:40 PM
Glancing at the menu that is slid towards him, Acamor is surprised to see a familiar drink, "You serve Blood Whisky here? Not many besides hobgoblins have the taste for that."

"Ah, Acamor Eldur, you've finally arrived. Easy on the door, my new friend. I don't want to have to repair them again so soon. Goluudbreska here seems to break it at least once a month."

The bartender shakes his head, gesturing to the large imposing demon that stands at the bar. The demon returns a toothy grin at the hobgoblin armor that the antipaladin is garbed in, ignoring the comment made by the bartender. Meanwhile the bartender gets out another glass and sets it next to the demon's glass, then walks over to the kitchen door.

"Matthew, fetch me the unopened bottle of ogre's blood we have in the cellar."

After a moment a bald headed halfling comes wandering from within the kitchen, carrying a large bottle of red liquid, partially covered in frost. He hands it to the bartender before exiting back through the kitchen door. Benjamin uncorks the bottle after a vigorous shake and quarter fills the two glasses before re-corking it and setting it below the counter in a covered bucket of ice. He then fills each glass the rest of the way with whiskey, adding a little spinning umbrella to each before handing them each to the imposing demon and the strangely garbed warrior.

"Here you go, friends."

Ffoh
2013-09-06, 05:52 PM
A tall, muscular man enters. Those with an eye for these things may notice the fine quality of the greatsword strapped to his back, his perfectly polished gauntlets and bracers, and the expensive mithral shirt visible beneath his cloak. Even those without an eye for these things can spot the hawk perched on his shoulder.

On verifying that the door doesn't lead back where he came from, he looks rather less self-assured, muttering to himself as he gestures with his hand in front of his eyes before surveying the room.

Casting detect magic. Arcane failure chance (10%):[roll0]. Spellcraft: [roll1].

Finally he approaches the man behind the bar, waving away the offered menu. "No thanks sir, I have dinner waiting. You must be new in town - welcome! We have new taverns opening every so often, but this is the first time I've seen one with a whole bunch of foreign patrons too. I'm sure it will do wonders for our local economy. I'm Vryn, by the way - if you've talked to any of the local lads they might have mentioned me. I'm in a bit of a hurry today, but I'll be sure to pop in and make your acquaintance properly maybe later this week? Always good to see new faces around here. Now if you'd just be so kind as to tell me how to leave your establishment I'll be on my way - and you'd better have that door looked at, it seems to have picked up a magical anomaly of some kind."

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 05:56 PM
After the others had ordered their drinks she gently raised her hand, a single finger extended to get Benjamin's attention, she spoke softly, still hoping to not be noticed despite the fact she was now engaging in a conversation.

"I couldn't just trouble you for some water could I? I'd just have my own but places like this usually have rules against outside drink don't they? Sorry, I don't come to bars often.... not to drink anyway."

She lowered her head and sat quietly after that, listening to the explanation and daydreaming somewhat about various things in between actually paying attention.

"Well hello, Lelli, my dear. You look a bit unnerved, don't feel too uncomfortable, you're in a place of friends after all."

The bartender gestures to the bar's patrons, while scooping out a few ice cubes to fill a tall glass, then fills it with water. Handing it to her, his eyes glance at her holy symbol. His smile seems to grow a bit.

"Well, I suppose we could begin soon. I believe we are waiting on perhaps one or two more to arrive, but they should be along shortly. To the matter at hand, I require you to join each other in a group. I have great need of some deeds to be accomplished and I cannot attend to them myself."

"On a side note, you all will have to obtain warmer outfits shortly... You, my dear, will freeze to the bone before you make it very far on the second errand. I'll have all of your sizes already and will see to those when you all return from the first trip."

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 06:21 PM
"No thanks sir, I have dinner waiting. You must be new in town - welcome! We have new taverns opening every so often, but this is the first time I've seen one with a whole bunch of foreign patrons too. I'm sure it will do wonders for our local economy. I'm Vryn, by the way - if you've talked to any of the local lads they might have mentioned me. I'm in a bit of a hurry today, but I'll be sure to pop in and make your acquaintance properly maybe later this week? Always good to see new faces around here. Now if you'd just be so kind as to tell me how to leave your establishment I'll be on my way - and you'd better have that door looked at, it seems to have picked up a magical anomaly of some kind."

Detect Magic results:
Your spell detects a great deal of both conjuration (teleportation) and divination magic in the door. Turning your point of view, you notice that nearly everything in range seems to have some faint magical aura of some kind. As you approach the bar, you're magic seems to notice lines of power running from all sections of the bar towards the bartender, as if you had stumbled into a spider's web of pure magic. While you cannot accurately gauge the types of all these magics, one thing stands out clearly; this man is nearly pure magic, a nexus point to which the bar seems to respond...

As if he noticed, a grin crosses his face and you catch sight of a casual flick of the bartender's hand, and suddenly your magically detection fails to register anything from him.

"Have a seat, eat something. While you will indeed return home, it wont be for a while. Have no fear, Zora and Valentia will not notice that you are gone. In fact, time will not pass much while you are gone. You will still make your date, perhaps with pockets more filled than what they appear to be now."

With a flick of the wrist, a live mouse appears on the table next to Benjamin. It doesn't resist much as he picks it up and tosses it into the air by your hawk.

"As for the deed I need accomplished, it will require a few things first, to which I will lend to you all, but more on that later... First, we need to get introductions out of the way. I know quite a bit about each of you, but with one exception, you all do not know each other."

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 06:31 PM
It would appear as if a couple are not present, but they can always join you all later. They have previously dealt with me and know more about the journey than you all do currently. They might be sent in later to aid when the need is greater.

Ffoh
2013-09-06, 07:09 PM
The hawk launches itself from Vryn's shoulder, catches the mouse in its talons, then sets it down on the counter and starts tearing at it with its beak. Vryn seems less sure of whether he can trust this evidently powerful man.
Sense motive: [roll0]

So you've been scrying on my family? Why? Am I being kidnapped?

LordErebus12
2013-09-06, 08:08 PM
The hawk launches itself from Vryn's shoulder, catches the mouse in its talons, then sets it down on the counter and starts tearing at it with its beak. Vryn seems less sure of whether he can trust this evidently powerful man.
Sense motive: [roll0]

So you've been scrying on my family? Why? Am I being kidnapped?

Sense motive Result:
From what you can gather, he seems honest and genuine. However, his motives remain clouded in secrecy. If you remain on guard and patient, you might be able to discover more.

He grins, waving his hand across the Inn. you notice everything becomes slowed and muttled, as if it were being seen and heard through water. Time seems to slow considerably.

"Well, unless you consider yourself a child, then the term kidnapped is inappropriate. I would liken it to being drafted for an army, although this is not an army. I have work that needs attending to and you are all very fit for the job."

"As for your family, no. I have not scryed upon them; Your mind has kept leaping to thoughts of them since you've entered my Inn. Pardon my intrusion there, for I cannot willing stop myself from knowing these things. It would be like you turning off your hearing upon command, an unlikely prospect to be sure."

He turns to address everyone.

"I require something to be delivered to Sigil, the City of Doors... Its importance is colossal to the events in the future. I have a package to be delivered to Kylie the Tout, a tiefling of some renown in Sigil. While this might seem like a meaningless task to trouble you all with, It is no less important than air to you all in the coming days. Without it, you shall all truly parish. More on that later, first I must get you all acquainted with two people in my Inn."

"The first is Jerga, a rakshasa who runs an all-purpose shop from within his room. You can find any items you currently lack there. head up the stairs to the left and you will find the room at the end of the hallway, the door is marked with a 7. After much heated discussion, he has promised to keep things priced appropriately for you all by my behest, as he often attempts to overprice things for new travelers."

The second is this little pest."

Benjamin reaches into a drawer in the bar, drawing out a small silk drawstring bag. Opening it, he removes and holds up what looks to be a Bottled Quasit. You notice that the bag did not actually seem to be full of anything, clearly it was a bag of holding.

"While I don't recommend you open this bottle, no matter what this little fellow promises you with, he will no doubt be both a thorn in your side and a boon from here on out. This bottle can subjugate anything within it a couple times a day, allowing you to pry out some noteworthy information from him. He has learned to behave, for the most part, as any attempt for him to leave the bottle on his own power has left him in considerable pain."

"He is one of the few Quasits that has learned the ability to teleport and shift planes at will, meaning he can surely escape any situation that he deems too dangerous. That being said, he has a nasty habit of spying on those he shouldn't and a far worse habit of being not too smart about it."

The Quasit begins to attempt to push the cork out of the top, failing at it in his shrunk form. when he attempts to disappear from within in a puff of smoke, the bottle briefly fills with lightning, knocking the imp to his rear with a dazed appearance on it's face. The bartender slips the bottled Quasit back into the sack and sets it on the counter.

"Keep him inside the sack until needed, for he will attempt to give away his position at every point. He may not be able to escape from within, but that won't stop someone from noticing him and his magic. He belongs to a particular demon lord, of which I will leave nameless for fear of early discovery. This imprisoned demon is gathering great power, attempting to open new gateways into the planes. Should he prove successful, he will make an attempt to enter Sigil and from there, everywhere."

"The Lady of Pain, of Sigil, does not know of the threat, nor will She if things continue as is. By time She realizes what has conspired, the demon will have slipped by Her and accomplished it's first goal. While I am not allowed to enter Sigil, you all are. The package I am giving you will come in handy should we fail in stopping this demon from entering Sigil. Also, it will bring The Lady of Pain's Ire if discovered within Her realm, for it undermines Her power, which will prove disastrous to those who have it and should it be discovered. Keep it secret until it is given to Kylie the Tout. After that, you will need to head to one of the lower planes to obtain an artifact, which is currently hidden there. More on that later; I realize this is a lot of digest, so have a meal on the house, and let it set in. You are leaving as soon as preparations are made for the journey."

Ffoh
2013-09-07, 01:19 AM
Vryn is not happy, but he understands he doesn't exactly have a choice. Well, it would have been decent to ask in advance. Why me? He looks around at the others Benjamin was addressing, as if noticing them for the first time. The fearsome warrior looks like a sensible candidate for a dangerous mission, but the other two seem a bit, er, delicate. In fact, why us? And are you at least offering us compensation? What are your terms?

Having noticed Dr Elwood's dishevelled state (must try not to wrinkle nose and let on that I can smell him) he becomes a bit self-conscious. Reaching into a pocket, he retrieves a small mirror and proceeds to smooth out his fine blond hair. While doing this, he seems to forget his surroundings and calm down a bit.

LordErebus12
2013-09-07, 04:37 AM
Vryn is not happy, but he understands he doesn't exactly have a choice. Well, it would have been decent to ask in advance. Why me? He looks around at the others Benjamin was addressing, as if noticing them for the first time. The fearsome warrior looks like a sensible candidate for a dangerous mission, but the other two seem a bit, er, delicate. In fact, why us? And are you at least offering us compensation? What are your terms?

Having noticed Dr Elwood's dishevelled state (must try not to wrinkle nose and let on that I can smell him) he becomes a bit self-conscious. Reaching into a pocket, he retrieves a small mirror and proceeds to smooth out his fine blond hair. While doing this, he seems to forget his surroundings and calm down a bit.

"Why you?..." Benjamin seems to think over the question for a minute. "Well to put it bluntly... I can see something in you that you cannot at this present time, perhaps you will come to see it later, but not if you all go back to your lives as if this opportunity never occurred. Also, for the fact that you've never been to Sigil, that fact is paramount to the decision."

"I could have chose others to go, more experienced adventurers that have been there, but their previous dealings might draw unwanted attention. With you all, so fresh in the ways of the planes, no one will look twice if you cross their paths. You all do not fit the bill, so to speak, as people that could do much in the ways of disrupting things. I realize I'm not really giving you much choice at this point, but things will be more up to you all after this little detour. This really is important to saving all of your worlds."

He begins listing off the planes of existence you all hail from, listing several you have never heard of (obviously).

"Krynn, Faerun, Eberron, Athas, Oerth and all in between will be threatened by this particular demon. Your families and friends will not survive in such a world, dominated by a newly minted greater deity of evil. He will warp the very foundation of reality, until all planes are one, and whatever remains of the celestial realm will crumble as the lower planes gain immense power over the coming chaos and destruction, But, I digress..."

He pauses for a moment, staring at each of you in turn, noticing each one of your overall conditions. He waves his hand at each of you in turn. your clothes become newly washed and mended, your bodies feel clean and warm, even your hair seems cut and fresh. When he finishes, he smiles.

"A small gift, for it will be a while until you will feel so clean and fresh again."

"I must make it clear that discovery will mean the end of you all, at least as far as Sigil goes. Afterwards may be different. In the case of The Lady of Pain, She does not play around. You will find yourself in an eternity of agony, with only the sounds of your heartbeat to keep you company as you wander Her eternal maze until old age takes you."

"As for compensation... What do you want, besides getting the chance to save the lives of every member of your individual worlds and more still? I can offer much in the ways of promises and perhaps a few minor trinkets."

Moonwolf727
2013-09-07, 11:27 AM
Lelli blanched at the mention of both Benjamin's omniscient mindreading and just afterwards his mention of horrible torture if she were to fail at a job she hadn't agreed to do and probably had no way of escaping from doing. Anyone listening probably would've heard her intimidated squeek, but she was worrying more for the sanctity of her mind. Trying not to think about private things was a sure-fire way to bring them to the forefront of her mind, though they were quickly covered by more and more topics of similarly personal experiences.

It was the best she could do to just sip her water and try to fill her mind with repetitive rhymes, if he couldn't stop reading her mind then she'd at least make sure nothing important crossed it in his presence. That was, until she had an idea. After all, why speak out loud if he could hear her regardless? You can hear this right? I'm sorry but.... what help can I possibly be to this? And to be honest, I kind of don't like being forced. I'll do it, but I need to have the option of leaving if things get too tough.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-07, 03:23 PM
Acamor holds his glass up to the light, swirling it, watching the red and yellow liquids intermingle for a long while. Coming to the conclusion that it was divine intervention that sent him here, he places it on the bar, and says, "If the world is to be destroyed, it will be at the whim of Maglubiyet!- not some lesser demon. Tell me where to go, and how to get there, and I shall do as you bid."

He picks up the small drawstring bag, letting it dangle loosely from his fingers. "But if you intend to send us into battle, I can not protect these," waving at his would-be companions, "an overgrown bird tamer? A child? And that one looks halfway to lichdom."

Ffoh
2013-09-07, 04:29 PM
Vryn turns to Acamor. I don't care for the way you refer to me, sir. If you think I have not seen battle, my sword can tell you otherwise!

LordErebus12
2013-09-07, 07:06 PM
"You can hear this right? I'm sorry but.... what help can I possibly be to this? And to be honest, I kind of don't like being forced. I'll do it, but I need to have the option of leaving if things get too tough."

His golden eyes turn to face Lelli's.

"Things will get tougher later on, I won't lie. I will not force you to go if you still do not feel obligated to help. If you wish to remain for the short remainder of your days elsewhere, I will not hold you here, although I would beg you to reconsider such actions. Fear can be a potent ally, but never should it sway your actions, as it attempts to now. Without standing firm here, we will crumble to dust in the wake of true power."

"As for both of you..." Benjamin turns to the brewing argument between Vryn and Acamor, voice tense and aggravated for the first time... "I'd ask only once for a bit more civility in my Inn. Shows of bravado and swordplay will not occur in my Inn. If it comes to blows between you, I will have the last one... We haven't the time to waste on such petty things."

Turning to the young Lelli again, his face softening, though clearly flustered.

"I have great faith that you will all do exceedingly well with the task at hand. I have seen the deeds you will accomplish and can see that within you lies a great power that will come to protect and guide this group to greatness. Success with this first step means everything right now."

"Its merely a delivery to a well known rogue in Sigil. Kylie the Tout has my confidence that she can hide such an item away from prying eyes until the time is right. Getting it there will not be a problem..."

Benjamin pauses, trailing off, not wanting to say more as a feline faced humanoid descends the staircase to the left.

"Are these the best we could get? I told you it would be best to awaken animals to do this. I have the spells, all we would need is the animals. Perhaps I could locate the appropriate polymorph spell in my room, we could simply make them from the burned one and bird perch. I suggest carrier pidgins... You have too much faith, you old fool."

The Rakshasa grins a fanged grin, the mocking tone echoing slightly in the muted silence surrounding the frozen Inn.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-07, 08:16 PM
Xavier casually sips at his martini allowing the others to drone on and on about their evident worries and insecurities. Sigil? My my my this should prove enlightening, my Lord couldn't take it but I can always study it whilst I have the time.. His other companions appeared to be quite whiny and more or less close minded about the opportunity they have been given. The brutish hobgoblinesque man was most entertaining, obviously ignorant about lichdom in general. Once the two meat heads began bickering Xavier finally spoke up "Now now children, play nice or we will have to find a suitable corner to put you in time out. If you believe you are lacking in this required duty may I suggest you back out while you still can. If one relies solely on the strength of the flesh they will surely fail, my role in this endeavor is to keep you alive. Sigil is not a place to start fights and any number of social mishaps will result in your destruction via the Lady of Pain."

The entry of the Rakshasa caused a soft sigh "But my good sir, why waste valuable animals for this sort of task? Would it not be more entertaining to watch us stumble around in the City of Doors? Though if you find us wanting in this task why not go yourself?

LordErebus12
2013-09-07, 08:22 PM
"Acamor, your time among the hobgoblins is evident. Although human, you speak like a goblin... The hate that dwells within the Lord of Depths and Darkness has grown inside of you. Do you strive for the end of the world? Surely He doesn't wish for the world to end without one final battle... Would He not grant you great honor, if you carried His banner to final victory?"

Note for Dr Humphry:
Acamor is not a hobgoblin, might want to edit that post a bit. While it might be difficult to notice, there most likely enough things that you'd notice he wasn't a goblinoid. Most notably the human face, since he has the mask removed to drink his blood whiskey.

LordErebus12
2013-09-07, 08:43 PM
Benjamin walks over to the back wall, unhooking a large key from the wall hung rope. With a single turn, the key clicks loudly in the lock of the small chest at his feet. Inside are several interesting objects. He begins emptying them onto the table one at a time.

Three steel-bound tomes, each with a lock; three small lacquered boxes of varying size (larger red, middle blue, and smallest green); a small collapsible telescope; a solid gold writing quill; a small bracelet with four charms (each a different figurine of an elemental); a pair of dark goggles.

The tomes are labeled: The Steps of Immortal Undeath:
The Black Rituals of Lichdom

Blood and Fire:
A Demonologist's Guidebook to the Lower Planes

Lost Souls:
The Spirit Compendium

Out of each box comes a variety of items: The red box contained a dozen wands, most of them are very different from each other. Some are carved from bone, some are of some sort of volcanic glass, some are lacquered wood in varying shades.

The blue box contained an ornate punching dagger, in the theme of dragons and skulls. When benjamin held it before setting it down on the box's lid, the skulls and dragon's eye radiated blue flames.
http://i.imgur.com/MfRu9Ng.jpg
The green box held a silver amulet, cast in the form of a swirling maelstrom, like a micro hurricane.

"As mentioned before, I only possess minor trinkets. Feel free to help yourself to a couple of them."

Ffoh
2013-09-07, 09:29 PM
Vryn seems interested in the "trinkets". Can you explain what these are? I take it they have magical powers?

LordErebus12
2013-09-07, 09:32 PM
"Well since I created or studied most of them, Its safe to say, yes. I do know what these all are."

Ffoh
2013-09-07, 09:47 PM
Vryn seems to be focusing on the items in the boxes. Well, which spells are in these wands? What magic is in this dagger? What is this amulet?

Moonwolf727
2013-09-07, 09:56 PM
Lelli blinks slowly and glances over at the boxes before starting suddenly and bringing her full attention to them. She'd always loved magical trinkets, that ability to make them was something she'd worked long and hard on and still hadn't managed quite yet. She was close though, and a few knew things to look at could help immensely...

She idly and timidly points towards the wand box and its contents, eyeing them curiously and with a little tone of longing in her voice. "I'd uhm... could you perhaps say what spells are contained in those? I'd be able to make great use of them.... only if no-one else is too interested themselves of course.".

LordErebus12
2013-09-07, 10:55 PM
Vryn seems to be focusing on the items in the boxes. Well, which spells are in these wands? What magic is in this dagger? What is this amulet?

Lelli blinks slowly and glances over at the boxes before starting suddenly and bringing her full attention to them. She'd always loved magical trinkets, that ability to make them was something she'd worked long and hard on and still hadn't managed quite yet. She was close though, and a few knew things to look at could help immensely...

She idly and timidly points towards the wand box and its contents, eyeing them curiously and with a little tone of longing in her voice. "I'd uhm... could you perhaps say what spells are contained in those? I'd be able to make great use of them.... only if no-one else is too interested themselves of course.".

"I'm sure I have a list here somewhere... From memory, the bone ones are curative or regenerative spells, the wooden ones are mostly defensive or protective in nature, while the dragon-glass wands are offensive."

Benjamin begins rummaging in the foot chest again. He draws out a little scroll from inside, unraveling it before setting it on the counter.

"Ah... here it is..."

Length|Material|Spell (CL)|Charges
Long|Redwood|Tree Shape (12th)|44
Short|Redwood|Barkskin (8th)|21
Medium|Birch|Cat's Grace (6th)|34
Long|Rosewood|Wall of Thorns (14th)|32
Long|Yew|Protection from Evil (4th)|23
Long|Light Bone|Cure Moderate Wounds (7th)|49
Medium|Light Bone|Cure Serious Wounds (9th)|50
Short|Dark Bone|Neutralize Poison (6th)|42
Medium|Dragon-glass|Fireball (10th)|43
Short|Dragon-glass|Fireball (8th)|36
Long|Dragon-glass|Orb of Fire (9th)|38
Short (Forked Tip)|Copper|Orb of Electricity (7th)|42

"Lets see... the scope is capable of scrying once per day, in addition to acting as a normal spyglass."

"The goggles are for identifying magical items, as well as protecting the wearer from gaze attacks."

"The punching dagger, well, that would take a while to explain... clearly its imbued with the powers of fire, although it does not appear to be a flaming weapon. I've noticed that its flames can still burn under water, a strange property, to be sure. I've never spent much time with it, although im sure it will have its own tale one day."

"As for the amulet, a simple protective spell on it deflects incoming physical and magical attacks."

"The quill is my own invention. The holder of the quill can detect magic and read magic at will, but can also write hidden messages that can only be read by those who are present at the time of the message's writing. Not exactly practical, but it has it's uses."

"The charm bracelet is also neat, removing a charm causes a large elemental of the variety chosen to appear for one hour, after which it cannot be summoned for one week. I will warn you, it will not always obey you and may require diplomacy to keep it calm. Not every elemental is willing to be called forth in such a way. Its useful for pact magic, though, and could be used as a holy symbol in some worlds..."

"OH! I almost forgot... Here..."

Benjamin draws out a piece of chalk from his pocket. Tied to it is a little rolled-up note. He sets it on the table.

Ffoh
2013-09-07, 11:33 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure about a magical weapon when we don't know its powers, but the amulet would certainly be useful. Vryn reaches out and fondles it appreciatively. If I could have it, it would also make a fine anniversary present for Zora when I see her again. Glancing at the others, he pulls back his hand. But I forget myself - if we are to team up, you should all have a chance to look at it.

He leans over to scan the spell descriptions on the scroll. These look useful too. If this Sigil is as dangerous as it sounds, we should take as many of these as we can use. I know I could use quite a few of them, how about the rest of you?

Finally he looks at the piece of chalk. What is this?

LordErebus12
2013-09-07, 11:48 PM
Finally he looks at the piece of chalk. What is this?

"Something for emergencies..."

Minor artifact: Chalk of the planes
This white chalk appears perfectly ordinary, except for the fact it cannot be broken and never seems to shrink when used to draw something. A rubber band holds a little rolled up card against it. Reading the card, it shows this.

http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/636931904/draw_a_door_beetlejuice_decal.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

When a door is drawn, then knocked upon three times (a standard action), a gate to another dimension is created. The door opens automatically, allowing anyone/anything to enter or exit it for three rounds, or until the door is closed. Once closed, the chalk drawing vanishes.

If detail is added to the door before knocking (a full round action, instead of a standard action), a specific plane can be chosen. For example, drawing a 7 layered pyramid will bring you to heaven, a mighty sword will bring you to Ysgard, a mug of beer will bring you to the World Serpent Inn, etc.

If just a general door is added, with no extra detail, a random plane is chosen by the DM. The item also carries a potential risk. The first time used in a month, it carries no risk, the second time, there is a 10% chance, 3rd time 20%, etc. This chance applies to all that use the portal.

Consult the table to roll on to figure out which risk is chosen.

{table]roll|potental bad stuff
1-2|1d4+1 Str damage
3-4|1d4+1 Dex damage
5-6|1d4+1 Con damage
7-8|1d6 Int damage
9-10|1d6 Wis damage
11-12|1d6 Cha damage
13-14|One negative level
15-16|Loss of a body part, 1 Con drain and 1d4 dex drain (examples: a few fingers or toes, an arm or leg, large amounts of skin, a few ribs)
17-18|Loss of a internal organ, 1d6+2 Con drain
19-20|Death
[/table]

LordErebus12
2013-09-08, 12:05 AM
"As for the weapon, I'd like to think of it as an opportunity, rather than a risk. Who knows what powers may come about when its utilized, it may become a powerful weapon on its own. Tales are told of such things developing their own legacies, but I do not know much about them."

"We really cannot say until its tried..."

Ffoh
2013-09-08, 12:43 AM
So if these goggles are for identifying magical items...but I suppose you've already tried more powerful magic than this on the dagger...

Vryn reaches for the goggles, tries them on, and looks at the array of objects on the table.

LordErebus12
2013-09-08, 12:53 AM
So if these goggles are for identifying magical items...but I suppose you've already tried more powerful magic than this on the dagger...

Vryn reaches for the goggles, tries them on, and looks at the array of objects on the table.

"The command word is 'Identify', which can be used up to three times per day as per the spell. I've used several methods of magic to attempt to discover its nature. All I get back is that its a minor magical dagger with some strange auras that don't necessarily belong there."

+1 Punching Dagger, Auras: Moderate Evocation (Fire), Faint Illusion
The evocation aura is strange, but even stranger is the illusion aura. This might be part of its awakening powers, or some way of masking its true powers. You get no real idea beyond that, which is odd. Perhaps it's a sign that its worth more than it normally would be, although you are not sure.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-08, 04:03 AM
With his masked removed, Acamor's entire head and face is wrapped in red bandages, so his features are not visible -just cut holes for the eyes and mouth. However it would be very easy to presume he is human. At this point it has been replaced.

Acamor does not rise to the bird tamer's outburst. He tucks the pouch into a pocket under his left pauldron, listening silently as Benjamin lays out his wares. Finally he stands up and walks over to them.
Passing over the wands with little interest, he examines the workmanship of the steel book bindings. He picks up the book on liches, glancing at Xavier with a slight headshake before putting it back down.

He picks up the amulet by the chain,"Useful indeed, if you feel you have need of such things...", his muffled voice somewhat condescending. He places it back.

Giving nothing more than a cursory examination of the other items, he comes to the dagger. He picks it up with both hands, watching the little flames come to life. Holding it closer, he examines the blade's edge, the detailing, and the balance. "Truly, this was made by a fine worker of steel. I shall honour him by caring for this weapon."

The flames reflect in the near mirror polish of his mask. "And fire no longer holds any fear for me..."

LordErebus12
2013-09-08, 05:14 AM
Giving nothing more than a cursory examination of the other items, he comes to the dagger. He picks it up with both hands, watching the little flames come to life. Holding it closer, he examines the blade's edge, the detailing, and the balance. "Truly, this was made by a fine worker of steel. I shall honour him by caring for this weapon."

The flames reflect in the near mirror polish of his mask. "And fire no longer holds any fear for me..."

"Nor should it..." Benjamin's eyes seem to lose focus for a moment, as if lost in a memory or thought. "The dagger suits you, I claimed it off of a certain bugbear that owed me a large tab. He seemed willing enough to part with it to clear his debt, for he favored larger crushing weapons over smaller slicing weapons. If you are proficient, that can also be thrown rather nicely. The range and accuracy of it is surprising."

The punching dagger can be thrown in 20 ft. increments, despite not typically being a throwing weapon. Part of the design is to allow it to turn in a spinning motion through the air without wobbling, allowing it to travel remarkably far, especially in comparison to actual daggers.

"If you would all hurry it up, I do have a mid-afternoon nap to attend; far more interesting than you all gawking at each other. My wares are upstairs, anything you might need can be picked up there. Benjamin was insistent that time was precious, so I will be waiting up there for you all, should you still need outfitting."

The Rakshasa slinks off to head up the stairs, his robes flowing out behind him dramatically. Benjamin shakes his head.

"Unfriendly chap, that Jerga... Okay then, we have to get you all ready." With a snap of his fingers the color and speed returns in a flash to the Inn. Noise once again fills the lower room as normal time resumes. The old bald halfling and two younger halflings each bring out several plates of food, laying them on the nearest table. With a gesture, they gather and seat the group.

"Honey roasted ham, greens and potatoes, buttered bread and a dark red wine to wash it down. A fitting meal for his honored guests... Master Benjamin tells me I'm not allowed to serve desserts anymore after that last time, so we will sadly have to do without..." replied the bald halfling. As he turns to leave, you catch him mutter under his breath "How was I supposed to know the pudding would attempt to eat the guests..." before returning with the others to the kitchen.

"Enjoy your meal, I have to attend to a door in the meantime. It never wishes to open when we ask it to. Hopefully it will be ready by time you all are finished eating, that way you can all enter Sigil's lower wards quickly. You can pick out a few items before you leave if you havent done so already."

And with that, Benjamin leaves the table and heads down the left hallway, slowly turning out of sight.

Ffoh
2013-09-08, 04:36 PM
Vryn watches Acamor's reaction to the items. Hmm, this guy has no magical aptitude - whereas the other two clearly do. When Acamor passes up the amulet, Vryn tries it on. You don't have loved ones you need to protect? I pity you. I will wear this until I have a chance to give it to Zora.

He takes his mirror out of his pocket again and examines his face. Hmm, these goggles look good on me. I think I'll keep them too.
Continuing to stare into the mirror, he slips into a reverie.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-08, 04:57 PM
Xavier calmly waits for the others the play with the trinkets but glares at the brute as he picked up the book. When it was set down, the doctor stood up, grabbed the want of protection from evil and slid the books over to him and began silently perusing them. The book on lichdom may prove useful later in life and would solve the problem of not having enough time to learn everything. With the meal put in front of him, Xavier begins spooning it inside his mouth, not bothering to taste it due to being preoccupied with the book.

Ffoh
2013-09-08, 05:41 PM
Noticing Xavier take a wand, Vryn reluctantly puts the mirror away. He walks over to the box and, consulting the list, carefully selects the medium birch, the medium dragon-glass, the long dragon-glass and the short copper wands. Sitting down at the table, he helps himself to some food.

The three of you really should take along more of those items - I know he only said one or two, but it sounds like we'll be in real danger and we may need all the help we can get. I've grabbed some wands, but those who can use the rest should take them - and the other items too. Better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Having resigned himself to not being home tonight, he eats his fill. Then he ventures upstairs in search of the Rakshasa's room.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-08, 07:18 PM
"I suppose there is a wisdom in that..." Acamor lifts the spyglass from the chest. He extends it and retracts in a short quick movement, testing the precision of the bands, and places it in a pouch on his belt.

Now I won't have to worry about one of these spying on me in the night.

LordErebus12
2013-09-09, 12:20 AM
Having resigned himself to not being home tonight, he eats his fill. Then he ventures upstairs in search of the Rakshasa's room.

Vryn finds the room easily enough, its the last door in the second floor hallway. The door is burned slightly, ajar and is missing its handle, showing a very clear hole where the handle would fit. Pushing the door open, you find yourself in a conjoined three rooms filled to the brim with stuff. Weapons, wands, staves, scrolls, etc.; everything you could possibly think of is crammed into this rather large space. Aisles and shelves fill all available space. In the corner of the first room, you can see Jerga in a recliner, relaxed but aware of you.

"Find what you want, I have nearly everything imaginable. Bring it to me and we can get this over with. I'd rather go to bed that deal with you all."

---------

Xavier opens the lichdom Tome... First you notice the sheer age of the Tome, and encounter a language barrier... This Tome was clearly written in a long dead language. This Tome will be more difficult to crack than the average Tome. Flipping through it, you can clearly tell this Tome was handwritten by someone with extremely precise and compact penmanship, with heavily slanted writing that almost seems Italicized.

From a quick skim through the Tome's many pages, you can tell that at least three methods of becoming a lich have been outlined in detail, each with three subsections; one dealing with the preparations and materials needed, one outlining the rituals, symbols and runes needed to complete it, and the final one outlining things about the nature of each of the three types of lichdom.

There is also a massive section (accounting for roughly half of the Tome) dealing with a bestiary of (corporeal) undead creatures and how to create or deal with them.

In the final hundred pages of the Tome is a section dedicated to necromancy spells, as well as a dictionary, glossary and some useful diagrams for dealing with the dissection of corpses.

The last page causes you to shiver, fear spreading through you... Dominating the center of the page is an realistic eye, drawn to near perfection with extreme detail. Written in around the eye is more writing, filling almost every square inch of the last page. At the bottom right side of the last page, their is a rather fancy set of three runes and symbols... The last one stands out as well known.

https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images03/28/2a556264d4a34880af53d610006c4ba0/300x300.jpg

---------

Acamor peers through the smaller end. You notice that not only is it a standard spyglass but its also telescopic, allowing it to focus and zoom in as its center portion is turned while keeping the eye piece stationary.

Ffoh
2013-09-09, 01:35 AM
Oh, I don't need much - just some basic adventuring gear and perhaps a few backup weapons. I'm afraid you won't be making much money off me. Then, in a hushed voice: This Benjamin fellow - I know I don't have much choice in the matter right now, but is he to be trusted?

Sense motive on the response: [roll0]

LordErebus12
2013-09-09, 02:58 AM
Oh, I don't need much - just some basic adventuring gear and perhaps a few backup weapons. I'm afraid you won't be making much money off me. Then, in a hushed voice: This Benjamin fellow - I know I don't have much choice in the matter right now, but is he to be trusted?

Sense motive on the response: [roll0]

"A better question... Can I be trusted? Would I tell the truth about someone who I've thoroughly grown to despise? Don't get me wrong, I owe him a debt I cannot repay, but that doesn't mean I like him."

"I've never liked Benjamin... He's pushy and spends far too much time invading others privacy with his visions. He is constantly meddling in the affairs of evil, which never ceases to annoy me. You are not the first group that he has used like this, to be sure and perhaps not the last. He seems to take it upon himself to change the way of things as he sees fit."

"He's been rather subtle before, but this will be the first time he's actually attempted to thwart... well, I will not mention It's name... something so powerful should never be named."

"What really annoys me about him is this... For someone with so much knowledge and power, he should have his own agenda, but all I can tell is that he wants to right every wrong in the blasted world from the safety of this place, while refusing to aid either side directly. I'd definitely peg him for some sort of a disgusting saint if he kept to himself, but he's too meddlesome for his own good. I think he likes being at the center of things, without having to choose or support a side. That and he refuses to share his secrets or powers."

"Other than that, he doesn't seem to want much beyond spending time here, at this stupid Inn. I've never even seen him leave this place. You'd think that someone who is immortal would wish to leave this damned place from time to time, especially since its connected to every plane in existence."

Jerga doesn't appear to be lying, but he does appear to be a total jerk. Other than that, unless you intend to continue talking to him, he gives you the goods and urges you to leave his room. If you have more to say, continue talking to him.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-09, 09:13 AM
Xavier wrinkles his nose at the language barrier I must rectify this oversight at once This tome would prove quite useful in his future endeavors and heaven be damned if he would let a dead language stop him from success. Closing the tome he grabs his new possessions and places them within his sachel then follows after the pissy cat man. He notices the two men talking and waits for them to finish speaking "Excuse me Jenga, I require a divine scroll of comprehend languages at once if I may be so bold. Don't worry about evil being stopped it is one of the primal forces and exists in the hearts of every man woman and child. Though giving me this scroll would more than likely aid the side of evil due to what I would be using it for..."

Ffoh
2013-09-09, 12:29 PM
Vryn picks out a few weapons and adventuring items, then returns downstairs. He doesn't like Jerga much, but feels somehow reassured by his remarks.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-09, 03:45 PM
Lelli stayed where she was at the bar, let the others draw attention away from here with their movement and talking, she was content to sit here and appreciate the typical tavern atmosphere. Along with the good food of course. She'd already taken the last Dragonglass wand since Vryn, the chatty and rather brash one, had been kind enough to leave it in case anyone required it.

She looked around once more from her place, meal sitting in her stomach, what she'd been able to eat anyway, and took in the atmosphere. It was a nice enough place really, good variety of people who all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Twas a decent place at least, she preffered music without lyrics but that was hardly worth complaining about. Lovely place, she'd get used to it easily if it weren't for the mind-reading thing. Either way, she waited for the others to come back.

LordErebus12
2013-09-09, 04:53 PM
Xavier wrinkles his nose at the language barrier I must rectify this oversight at once This tome would prove quite useful in his future endeavors and heaven be damned if he would let a dead language stop him from success. Closing the tome he grabs his new possessions and places them within his sachel then follows after the pissy cat man. He notices the two men talking and waits for them to finish speaking "Excuse me Jenga, I require a divine scroll of comprehend languages at once if I may be so bold. Don't worry about evil being stopped it is one of the primal forces and exists in the hearts of every man woman and child. Though giving me this scroll would more than likely aid the side of evil due to what I would be using it for..."

"Yeah, back wall, third shelf. you'll find a row of scrolls with yellow bands around them. The bands should have the spell name printed on it. Hurry up."

Lelli stayed where she was at the bar, let the others draw attention away from here with their movement and talking, she was content to sit here and appreciate the typical tavern atmosphere. Along with the good food of course. She'd already taken the last Dragon-glass wand since Vryn, the chatty and rather brash one, had been kind enough to leave it in case anyone required it.

She looked around once more from her place, meal sitting in her stomach, what she'd been able to eat anyway, and took in the atmosphere. It was a nice enough place really, good variety of people who all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Twas a decent place at least, she preferred music without lyrics but that was hardly worth complaining about. Lovely place, she'd get used to it easily if it weren't for the mind-reading thing. Either way, she waited for the others to come back.

You wait with Acamor until the rest return from upstairs. Once they return to the table, you all rise and head down the left hallway.

The hallway is rather creepy. The hallway seems to go on for ever, slowly turning right in a long gradual curve and has extremely poor lighting. The doors on this hallway are also creepy. They are all of different shapes. None have a name plaques or any sort of identifying markings. Some are locked and chained but many appear normal doors, many more are not. Some don't have handles, some have many. Some doors have faces and some are oddly shaped. some don't appear to open at all, and some are just walls pretending to be doors. You notice one chained door seems to be radiating heat, a steady wind seems to be blowing at the back of the door. You can see sand blowing from under it. Another door's handle begins to turn violently but does not open as you pass it, causing your heart to jump into your throat. you all continue walking down the hallway.

Finally after twenty minutes of walking, you notice Benjamin, who has lit a torch on the wall outside a steel door. When you approach, he turns to face you. The poor light throws his face into shadows from this angle.

"Through this door lies Sigil. It should open to the lower wards, in an alleyway near some old apartments. Kylie the Tout lives nearby to the south, in an dwarven apartment building, you cannot miss it, for its one of the few places that has a six floors and five sides. Be warned, although the city is generally calm, its anything but safe. With no true police or guards, the city is filled with thieves and muggers. The town's populous has a rudimentary town watch, but it cannot contain or catch some of the criminals. Their isn't always a warning, some just prefer to kill first and loot your corpses after. Be wary of anyone wearing red robes, there is a gang that calls themselves 'the blood children' that are led by a trio of Babau demons. They like to skin their victims alive, so be on constant guard."

Benjamin hands Lelli the chalk from before, mentioning that it is for emergencies and that she should never use it more than once a month, if it can be helped. He then opens the door...

Inside you can see what appears to be a dark alleyway between two brick buildings. It appears to be nighttime.

"Good Luck..."

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-09, 05:38 PM
Giving Lelli nothing more than a ponderous glance (What could I child bring to such a venture?), Acamor readies his gear. When they reach the door, and Benjamin delivers his warning, he responds, "There's no such thing as luck."

Holding his arm out to halt the others, he lowers his military fork into a guarded stance, and steps through the door.

Ffoh
2013-09-09, 05:52 PM
Before heading off, Vryn casts an eye over the magical items no one claimed. He picks up the box of wands and offers it to Lelli. You were interested in these, right? I can't use them - perhaps you should take them along, just in case?

Glancing at the charm, he mumbles: Pact magic. Perhaps best if we steered well clear of that one.

As the group walk down the corridor, he realizes he never introduced himself. By the way, my name is Vryn - in case you didn't catch it. And this here is Volans. The bird gives them all a knowing glance.

Finally, they get to the door. Seeing that Acamor is about to step through, he places his hand on his heart and mumbles to himself: May the Arcane be with with me.

Casting Mage armor (arcane failure 10%: [roll0]) and Resistance (arcane failure 10%: [roll1]).

Ffoh
2013-09-09, 05:56 PM
With his magical protection in place, he follows Acamor through the door.

Unless stated otherwise, Vryn always shares spells with his familiar when possible.

LordErebus12
2013-09-09, 09:31 PM
OOC@LordErebus:
I still don't know the stats of the amulet?

An item of my own design, called an Ether's Eye (type I). It offers two functions. A passive +2 Deflection bonus to AC and once per day (as a swift action), it can activate a barrier that has a 25% chance of reflecting ray/ranged touch spells back to their casters. This barrier lasts for six rounds once activated. However, when the magic barrier is in effect, the bonus to AC is lost for the duration.

As you all step into the night, you notice that there are no light sources around, such as street lamps or torches. You do however notice the sky... High above you, you notice a strange sight. The city of sigil can be seen curving slowly in on itself, as if you were on the inside of an inflated inner-tube. You can see the soft glow of torches above you, creating a soft orange glow in the sky, although not enough to provide light to see extremely well. The ground is paved, devoid of puddles of water or random weeds, if such a thing could live in such a place. The buildings surrounding you are mismatched, seeming to be crafted from whatever materials were available. Nothing seems to match, either in style or design. While they are all square buildings, about three stories high, nothing else is similar.

City Shape of Sigil. http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081231234510/forgottenrealms/images/c/c0/Sigil_-_Jason_Engle.jpg

Ffoh
2013-09-09, 09:59 PM
Vryn rummages in his newly acquired backpack and retrieves a bullseye lantern, which he lights. Good thing Jerga had some of these. He surveys the area around him, trying to make sure he will remember the door they just came through. A thought strikes him, and he opens it to see if it leads back to where they just came from.

LordErebus12
2013-09-09, 11:10 PM
Vryn rummages in his newly acquired backpack and retrieves a bullseye lantern, which he lights. Good thing Jerga had some of these. He surveys the area around him, trying to make sure he will remember the door they just came through. A thought strikes him, and he opens it to see if it leads back to where they just came from.

Vryn opens the door; however, the door doesn't appear to lead to the hallway in the Inn. Instead, he clearly sees that it leads to the back of the bottom floor of the apartment building with three doors on either side, with a staircase at either end leading up to the second floor.

Suddenly the sound of something metal rattling against metal sounds out from the end of the alleyway.

Ffoh
2013-09-09, 11:26 PM
Vryn whirls around and positions himself between the group and the source of the sound. As he moves, he puts the lantern on the ground and draws his sword. In a hushed voice he says Can one of you carry that? I need both hands here.

Both Vryn and Volans strain to spot the source of the sound.

Vryn spot: [roll0]
Volans spot: [roll1]

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-10, 12:30 AM
As he steps through the door, the sudden shock to his senses- the cool night air, the silence, the darkness - sends Acamor into full combat mode. Dropping into a half crouch he he presses himself up against one of the builings on the right of the alley.

Should there be something like a crate or other refuse in the alley, Acamor would crouch behind that. Hide : [roll0]

As Vryn lights the lantern, Acamor sighs to himself. There goes stealth.

The sound of metal rattling against metal draws his attention to the end of the alley, though he's not sure if he can see anything, his eyes not adapted to the dark, and the torch not helping with that.

Spot : [roll1]

Vryn moves up near him, "Can one of you carry that? I need both hands here."

Acamor glances at the lamp on the ground. "Just put it out!", he says, in a muffled hiss.

LordErebus12
2013-09-10, 03:50 AM
Volans and Acamor:
At the end of the alleyway you can see the outline of three large dumpsters. Its hard to make out much beyond that, with the poor lighting and distance.

Vryn:
You don't really see anything.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-10, 05:13 AM
Lelli stowed the remaining wands that Vryn had handed her in her backpack and trailed behind the others as they stepped out into the alleyway. The rattling clank that soon after echoed slightly down the alleyway set seemingly everyone on edge, indeed it had a similar effect on Lelli whom ducked to the near back of the group at the very moment she heard it. Quietly attempting to identify the threat, which she honestly wasnt sure she wanted to know about, she squinted into the darkness and listened as closely as her ears would allow. Her cowardice also reflexively called both her implement, a straight silver cane studded with small pinpricks of light along its length, and her aura, which was simply a thin vapor-like mist that coiled protectively around her.

summoning my costume because I know ill need the armor bonus and retrieving my implement too.

Listen check: [roll0]
Spot check: [roll1]

LordErebus12
2013-09-10, 06:23 AM
Lelli:
You hear the sound of something that sounded like panicked footsteps and the sound of something like metal striking against metal come from down towards the dumpsters down the alleyway.

Everyone:
With everyone on guard, the overwhelming stillness and silence in the surrounding night begins to make you all very tense. All the previous warnings and mentioned dangers are playing with both your mind and senses. Your heartbeats in your ears, you watch and listen.

Suddenly, a pair of little glowing orange dots pop out from behind the dumpster, before darting back behind it quickly.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-10, 08:17 AM
The Doctor quietly strolls along with the others through the hallway of the inn, silently memorizing its contents as they pass through. Stopping at the door that would lead them to the Iron Lady's domain, Xavier takes what little time he has to memorize every detail of the door just in case. Crossing through the portal Xavier looks up towards what should presumably be the sky but is only met with the continuation with the city Ah, Lord Vecna I surely have arrived, may I garner knowledge that may one day prove useful for the unlocking of this realm... Until then keep my scholarly ass safe from that iron bitch who runs this place. A grim smile crosses his lips, he knew the irony of his thoughts, the fact that his master was expelled from this realm by the iron lady was common knowledge. The man takes a deep breath of the cool night air, enjoying the sounds of the city when he notices his 'companions' stumbling around like drunken murder hobos waving their swords around. "By Moradin's Beard, you fools put those away! DO you want to draw attention to ourselves before we've even taken ten steps through this damn city? We are not in a war zone so don't wave those over glorified metal rods unless it is a necessity." Calmly the Doctor walks forward noticing the glowing orbs behind the dumpster and stops looking curiously at where the orbs appeared, attempting to divine what they were.

So identifying what that was... i will roll a general knowledge check if it is arcane then add a +2 to the roll
knowledge [roll0]

Ffoh
2013-09-10, 01:50 PM
Vryn responds to Acamor's reaction: You'd rather draw attention to yourself by stumbling around in the dark? And be attacked by enemies you can't see? If it comes to fighting, shining a light in their eyes counts for us, not against us. Frustrated at the lack of support from his companions, he picks up the lantern himself, directing its beam towards the source of the sound.

How far is the end of the alley? The lantern provides clear illumination up to 60 feet and shadowy illumination up to 120 feet. Repeated spot checks in the improved light:
Vryn: [roll0] (+3 if within 60 feet and clear illumination is enough for the hawk bonus to kick in?)
Volans: [roll1]

Whoever is over there, I'm guessing they're afraid of us. Let's just edge our way towards the street - I'll guard the rear.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-10, 02:04 PM
Xavier chuckles while the children fight amongst themselves while he fishes out a coin from his purse. He speaks in a soft, commanding tone causing the coin to glow brightly in the palm of his hand "Enough bickering people we have work to do, put out that lantern already we have no need of it since its much more annoying than this. If Mr. Grumpy wants to skulk around all I have to do is close my hand but if he had any sense he would realize sneaking in the middle of a city is already suspicious. No one knows we are here or what our purpose is, if you act all cloak and dagger it will spook the locals. So just cut out the theatrics and act normally already. The fact that you are armed to the teeth doesn't aid us but you two can assume the role as my 'bodyguards' while you young lady can pose as my 'daughter'. All of us are just going for a pleasant nightly stroll through the city and that is that."

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-10, 03:45 PM
Is Lelli's aura luminescent?

"Moradin is a weak and pathetic god..."

Glancing at the lantern, the glowing coin, and the light coming off Lelli's cane, Acamor realises that a change of tactics is indeed required. "Very well, book-monger."

Acamor draws himself to his full height, straightening his cloak, and holding his military fork as a staff. Striding down the alley in a military cadence, he calls in the direction of (what he presumes) was a pair of eyes.

"I am Acamor Eldur! In the name of Maglubiyet, declare yourselves and stand aside! You will allow myself and my colleagues to pass unmolested. We wish no conflict, but are fully prepared to defend ourselves."

Diplomacy : [roll0]

Speaking in Hobgoblin, "<I am Acamor Tuuvoto'shava, chosen of Maglubiyet, and you will flee before me, or be destroyed!>" During this he bangs his weapon onto the stones of the street with each step.

Intimidate : [roll1]

Ffoh
2013-09-10, 05:13 PM
Nice parlor trick, I've seen it before. Doesn't quite substitute for a proper light though - I'll keep mine on.

The bullseye lantern illuminates a distance three times further than the light spell. Vryn can't judge that without first turning his off, but he can see that his light is much brighter than the coin.

As Acamor advances towards the dead end at the back of the alley, Vryn is surprised to hear his demand to be allowed to pass. I wonder where he would like to pass to? Oh well, I suppose confusing our would-be bandits won't hurt the attempt to cow them into submission - either way, I'd better lend support. He advances alongside Acamor, hoping that two armed men will be more intimidating than one.

Aid another on Acamor's intimidate attempt: [roll0]

Edit: success! This gives Acamor +2 on his check result.

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 01:23 AM
Giant Alleyway Map:
http://i.imgur.com/kmCrL4H.jpg
V= Vryn
A= Acamor
L= Lelli
E= Dr. Elwood
Star= Last sighting of the Glowing Lights

Please excuse the crudity of the map, its the only software I could find for free online to make maps. It should work for what we need it for...

More noise from behind the dumpsters, this time what sounds like a high pitched squeak or 'meep' at the sounds of your military fork colliding with the concrete alley and your act of intimidation. As Acamor and Vryn near the edge of the dumpster, you both hear the sounds of something cloth-like rip and bump into the back of the dumpster, as well as a quiet...

"Ouch..."

Ffoh
2013-09-11, 02:25 AM
Hmm, it's not a dead end after all. My mind must be playing tricks on me.

Vryn notices the alley to his right leading to what appears to be a better lit street.

With any luck we've discouraged them from coming after us now. How about making for the street over there - we could try to locate this apartment building we're looking for from there.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-11, 02:44 AM
"Perhaps that is wise, but did you hear that? I believe there is only one of them..."

Acamor jogs up the alley towards the dumpsters. His plan is to get around the dumpster before whomever is there has a chance to flee. Should there be as he suspects, just the one, he will drop his weapon and attempt to grab them- possibly pinning them to the wall.

If required, grapple : [roll0]

And of course if it's immediately apparent that it is say, a giant octopus with man-like intelligence, he may take a different course of action.

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 02:57 AM
"Perhaps that is wise, but did you hear that? I believe there is only one of them..."

Acamor jogs up the alley towards the dumpsters. His plan is to get around the dumpster before whomever is there has a chance to flee. Should there be as he suspects, just the one, he will drop his weapon and attempt to grab them- possibly pinning them to the wall.

If required, grapple : [roll0]

And of course if it's immediately apparent that it is say, a giant octopus with man-like intelligence, he may take a different course of action.

What you grab by the hair appears to be a small child (10 years old in equivalent), no taller than a three year old, with flaming orange-red hair and glowing orange eyes. She appears to be gnomish, despite some obvious differences with normal gnomes. Dragging her into the light for a better view, she looks rather short and scrawny for her age, clearly her growth must have been stunted by being so malnourished for so long.

She wears an ugly little purple dress, crudely sized so it would fit her. over that, she wears a suit of poorly fitted leather armor, with so many holes worn into it that its hardly protecting her anymore. She has this nasty cut on her shoulder, bleeding profusely from a bit of bent metal that caught her as she attempted to squeeze behind the dumpster.

you can see she has a knife handle protruding from one of her oversized boots.

"Don't kill me, masked one!" She pleads, freezing in terror.

Yay! Pyra!

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-11, 03:25 AM
"Calm yourself little one", Acamor rasps, "I am not going to kill you."

He let's go of her, though holding his hands out to prevent her fleeing.

"It is rude to spy on others, you know..."

Dropping his voice into a whisper, he leans in close. "Though you are lucky it is me who caught you and not the giant coming this way. I might not have been able to stop him from beating you."

Calling to the others, he says, "Nothing to fear, it is just a child."

Handing the gnome child a scrap of cloth, he tells her to press it as hard as she can on her wound. "It will hurt, but it is better than leaving bits of you on the street, no?"

He sits next to here. Acamor wheezes slightly, as though his minor exertion took a lot out of him. "My name Acamor. We are searching for a lost friend of mine. Perhaps you can help us..."

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 03:29 AM
She takes the cloth and attempts to tie it to her shoulder. Failing that, she just presses it to it. The wound is deep from the bleeding.

"I don't see any giants..." She looks puzzled for a minute... then noticing your companions.

"I'm Pyra, of Chainlink Alley... A lost friend?"

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-11, 04:03 AM
"Pyra, eh? No doubt named for the pyres of Maglubiyet... A strong name. You must be a fierce warrior!" Acamor taps the knife in her boot.

Returning to the topic at hand, "Yes, a good friend of mine. Her name is Kylie the Tout."

Acamor leans in again and whispers, "She has horns..."

"We were friends when we were no more than your age. Though quite a bit taller! I heard she's been living in this city for quite some time, but I am lost and don't know where to go."

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 04:20 AM
"Pyra, eh? No doubt named for the pyres of Maglubiyet... A strong name. You must be a fierce warrior!" Acamor taps the knife in her boot.

Returning to the topic at hand, "Yes, a good friend of mine. Her name is Kylie the Tout."

Acamor leans in again and whispers, "She has horns..."

"We were friends when we were no more than your age. Though quite a bit taller! I heard she's been living in this city for quite some time, but I am lost and don't know where to go."

She grins brightly. "You have no idea; my friends call me Pyra, the Tindertwig. What is a Maglubiyet? Sounds like a restaurant or food..." She looks confused for a moment as she ponders what you had said, then her stomach growls. She suddenly looks extremely embarrassed, her face turning bright red.

"Kylie the Tout... I think I've heard that name before... I'll have to ask Erwin the Ear, he'll know where she lives, if anyone does. He sleeps in an alley east a ways, near the Half-Wall.

As for horns, the only thing I know with those is Gram, the billygoat"

She smiles as if that was really funny.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-11, 04:51 AM
Lelli strolls idly towards the dumpster following Acamor's calling out and initially only spared a sweet pitying smile and a quick glance to the poor child, not noticing the bleeding wound through the cloth. "It's nothing troubling then, at least we're not being attacked right off the bat. I-.......". She pauses as she looks to Pyra again and notices the blood now soaked into the makeshift covering. Lelli's face drops into a concerned expression as she kneels in front of Pyra, a hand placed gently on the girls uninjured shoulder. "You.... lift the cloth away for a second dear, I can't do anything if you cover it up..". She looks intently into the young girl's eyes and speaks in gentle hushed tones, pointing the softly glowing tip of her cane at the wound. "This won't work unless you let it Pyra, I need you to trust me alright?". After waiting for her to consent she whispers quietly and light pours onto the girl's bloodied and injured shoulder, healing it.

using an illuminatiin, specifically Share the Love. Pyra's consent is required so if she says no it wont work, but I doubt she'll refuse. Not sure if youre tracking her hp but ill roll just in case

Amount Healed roll: [roll0]

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 05:03 AM
using an illuminatiin, specifically Share the Love. Pyra's consent is required so if she says no it wont work, but I doubt she'll refuse. Not sure if youre tracking her hp but ill roll just in case

Amount Healed roll: [roll0]

I am, in addition to treating her has the fifth member of the party, as is clear if you check the first page of the OOC.

Be prepared to become a foster mother, because she might just Imprint on you after you 'share the love'. :smallbiggrin:

She nods in agreement, watching as the wound closes and heals. Her eyes get really big, filling with tears, which begin spilling down her cheeks. Sobbing, she gives you a tremendous hug.

"Thank you, ma'am!" she says between sobs. clearly, she hasn't had someone actually heal her before, as she has numerous old scars here and there from a hard life in the gutter. This might be the first time anyone has cared enough for her to help her like that.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-11, 08:47 AM
Xavier puts his face in the palm of his hand and slowly starts shaking his head, his expression obviously lost on the hob-goblin wannabe. Then the shouting began Vecna please silence this idiot... the last thing we want is to draw attention and shouting in goblin while invoking the name of a foreign god is just the perfect way to get us noticed. He watches the man pull the figure out from the dumpster and immediately forces himself not to visibly show his disgust Ugh a child... Gods a GNOME child, reminder to myself to sacrifice something the next time I come across an altar of Vecna since he is obviously displeased with me..

Taking a deep breath Xavier does his best to put on a false smile while he walks towards the tiny figure. He crouches down so he is relatively eye level with the child and gives his best 'salesman smile' "Please forgive us for scaring you, our bodyguard wasn't hired for his manners but at least my daughter was able to remedy this situation. We would be grateful for an introduction to your friend since we don't know our way around this city very well but right now that can wait. I imagine you probably are hungry and that just wouldn't do I am afraid." Reaching into his sachel the Doctor produces a ration, snaps a tiny piece off and places it in his mouth as a gesture of good will "I am sorry to say it isn't a proper meal, just dry rations but they are filling and nutritious." He holds the remainder out to Pyra waiting to see if she grabs for it.

diplomacy [roll0] lmao oh I knew I would roll a 1 for this, I guess his disgust of children and gnomes just shines through but at the very least the kid wasn't offered poison or anything...

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 01:00 PM
The Child looks hesitant, as if she doesn't trust Dr. Elwood, even after he had eaten a bite of it. She stops sobbing heavily and tentatively steps back away from Lelli, as if not quite sure if that is the best choice. She eyes him uncertainly.

"What is it?"

To Dr. Elwood:
Give me a bluff check on that lovely story.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-11, 01:11 PM
Sensing that the kid could see his obviously distaste for her Xavier decides to go for a more neutral approach "They're Trail Rations like I said earlier; compact meals filled with preservatives to ensure they do not spoil for several weeks. It is food and despite it not being fresh it tastes just fine and will fill your belly. If we had time I would take you to an inn and pay for a proper meal but right now time is of the essence. I will not hurt you Pyra so don't worry, if anyone would do so it would be the masked zealot over there." He leans in a little closer and whispers "Between you and me, I think he wears that mask to hide his exceptionally bad breath" He offers a wink to aid the little joke.

Dammit I am trying to make this easy for diplomacy but he is coming off as the creepy professor.... [roll0] thank god I didn't buy a trench coat or something...

edit: Well if no bonuses are given then this kid will hate him... it will make disecting her body all the more satifying... :smallcool:

Ffoh
2013-09-11, 02:06 PM
Vryn is glad his companions are showing kindness to the child, but even with his inattentiveness he has picked up enough clues to be worried about their motives. Approaching Pyra slowly, he smiles and points at Xavier's field ration. Those are good. If you don't want to try his, I can get out one of my own for you?

Diplomacy: [roll0]

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 02:41 PM
After listening to Vryn, she takes Dr. Elwood's ration, eating it as if she had not eaten in a week.

"It's better than what I usually can find, although not as good as roasted lizard... I can usually catch them near the gate to the evergreen land. The guards used to let me go near there to hunt, but the new ones throw stones... of course, I did light that one's coat on fire for laughing at me falling down. I don't like them..." She scowls darkly, finishing the ration.

"You don't need to lie to me, mister. I know you are not family, do don't really look anything like each other, but that's okay. Some of the other kids form families and they are not related. I'll take you to Erwin the Ear. Come quickly!"

She turns and jogs off, although her short legs are not very fast. She would struggle to keep up with a human's full stride. She leads you all down the alleyway, south a few buildings, then towards what she called "the Half-Wall". As you come out onto the first street, you can see its nearly empty, except for the occasional cleaning crew that are sweeping the streets free of refuse. After darting across the street, she leads you down a much longer alleyway, until you come up to what looks to be a partially caved in building, bricks lying all over the place. She leaps into the open building, scaling the brick pile with a comfortable ease, before stopping at what first appeared to be a crumpled pile of rags.

"ERWIN! What happened!" She screams.

The rag pile turns out to be the broken body of a battered boy, skin removed from half of his face and eyes badly swollen from a vicious beating, lying face down on the ground. She turns him over, shaking him as if to revive him. the boy, barely alive, comes to and opens his eyes slowly.

"...Py...ra...... That... you?"

"who did this? Ma'am! MA'AM! help me, HELP ERWIN! Erwin, don't die... We will help you..."

She clings to the child, much taller than her and of human descent, with choking sobs. The wounded boy manages to let out a few more words before fainting.

"Blood... Children... demons... Passwall Alley."

She gently sets his head on a rolled up rag that was in reach, and stands up, drawing her little dagger. Agile as ever, she leaps up over the fallen bricks, running down towards the alleyway, yelling that she'd 'kill them all!'

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-11, 02:58 PM
Acamor observes his companions interations with the child.

"...not as good as roasted lizard...", Acamor shakes his head in agreement. "They really aren't."

He pulls himself up when she starts running down the alley, glad that she can't run too quickly.

Climbing into the the ruined building after Pyra, Acamor says nothing as she panics over her friend. When she starts sprinting off, he turns to the wounded boy. "Fear not, I doubt the fires of Hell will be claiming you today... "

"I must help your diminutive friend, murder is to be done."

With that, Acamor readies his military fork and chases after Pyra.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-11, 03:01 PM
Lelli stares after Pyra as she runs off down into the alleyway, this wouldn't do at all. The girl could get revenge soon but not now, and definitely not on her own. They were going to hunt down whoever did this together, not run the risk of her getting killed. She rested both hands on the top of her cane and brought it down onto the alley street, it honestly wasn't as impressive as she imagined though. Even as she was dissapointed with her own lack of drama, a wall of flickering motes flared into life in front of Pyra, blocking the girl's path, it'd slow her down at least. She shouted desperately after her, a obscructed path and a call might just be enough to stop her, if she was lucky. "PYRA! STOP! We can kill them all together. Now come back here and stop ABANDONING your friend while he's hurt!".

After that she knelt by the boy, apparently Erwin, what an odd name, and placed her hand on his forehead. Another faint whispher, similar to before but not quite the same, and light washed over an injured child to heal their wounds for the second time today.

Two illuminations this time, I'm glad they don't need to renewed every time I use them now. Anyway, wall of light in front of Pyra to slow her down since she can't have gotten out of range yet. And Share the Love once more for Erwin.

Healing: [roll0]
Diplomacy at Pyra: [roll1] EDIT: Add +2 to the result, I forgot the bluff synergy bonus. :smallredface:

Ffoh
2013-09-11, 03:10 PM
Message spell. Arcane failure (10%): [roll0]

Pyra hears Vryns voice whispering at her. Rather come back here, Pyra. We'll go after them together once your friend is safe.

Diplomacy: (1d20+16)[29]

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 07:25 PM
Ffoh
i've seen the rolls, go ahead and copy the actual rolls and add them into one post and delete the other. In the case of adding a roll to previous posts, put the new roll in the OOC, then edit the post in the IC with a Quote of the addition. that way it doesn't use an extra post for something like that.

I hate that you cannot add to posts, but its so people cannot fudge rolls or reroll them. I makes Action Points worthless, too.

Pyra runs smack into the wall of light, pausing at its quasi-solidness. What is this? she wonders... She presses her hand against it to see if it would give. As it slowly gives way, Vryn's message reaches her, telling her to pause. As she hesitates, Acamor reaches her.

She turns to confront him, cheeks covered in tears and eyes filled with fire. She throws her hand wildly to the dead Razorvine covered wall, sending a little red orb of fire splashing against the wall, setting the razorvine ablaze.

Acid Splash, converted to Fire damage.

RAZORVINE
The flora of Sigil isn’t much to write home about. The foul environment makes short work of most plant life, so visitors shouldn’t expect to see much greenery. In fact, the only plant that seems to thrive in the Cage is a horrid, twining climber called razorvine.

Spread from the Lower Planes—no doubt via portals in the Lower Ward—the kudzulike razorvine grows everywhere it can in the city. The dabus (the guardians of Sigil, under The Lady of Pain) keep it in check in most places, but everybody knows you can’t really ever get rid of it. Even trimming it down to a stub only delays the inevitable, because razorvine grows a foot or more per day. And as its name implies, the vine is as sharp as a knife, so you can’t just yank it out of the ground. In fact, even reaching your hand into a patch can leave you bloody.

Minor contact with razorvine deals 1d6 points of damage, while more serious contact—such as a push into a patch or falling headlong into it—can deal up to 3d6 points of damage. Armor and a thick hide help reduce the damage; subtract your natural armor bonus plus half your armor bonus from damage dealt by razorvine.

Some Sigil residents have turned razorvine to their advantage. With care, a patch of razorvine can be cultivated to provide protection. After all, most burglars aren’t desperate enough to scale a razorvine-covered wall to see what’s on the other side. And since the plant becomes dull and brittle when cut, it also makes fine kindling.

"LET ME GO! Acamor, they can't be allowed to do this anymore! Those beasts hurt us and steal from us, letting us starve and die without any need to do so! I hate it here... We have to end them..."

She falls to her knees, sobbing lightly in the glow of the 10 ft. wall of burning razorvine, accepting your decision.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-11, 10:19 PM
Acamor kneels in front of Pyra. He recoginises her expression of helplessness and frustration and loss. It is something he is intimately familiar with. "Hold on to your anger child. Keep it within you and it will keep you strong."

He gestures to the burning wall of vines, "Maglubiyet has blessed you, and I will help you destroy these beasts of yours. We shall send them to Hell together, where they shall serve him for the rest of time!"

Acamor glances back at the ruined building. "Stay with me a moment, the others should be here shortly, we could use their help. Then you will lead us to this enemy."

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 10:38 PM
Pyra glares at Acamor angrily, ceasing to cry a bit...

"The gods do not exist... they would help us, if they did..."

She slowly stands up shakily, leaning against the burning wall for support, her hand clearly not harmed by the flames she had started.

"They reside inside a large destroyed temple, called the 'Killing Fields'. Their allies are many, but I've taken them down individually before. Only the leaders are to be feared, for they are demons. There are three of them, dripping blood off their bodies. I've heard that blades melt after striking them, I think its like acid, the blood. They use long spiked chains in battle, watch out. I'm gonna not be of much help against them, for I can only really use fire, with the exception of some electricity, but I've heard that they are immune to that. Demons or not, they still can burn..."

Her eyes become unfocused by dark thoughts, reddened by tears.

Ffoh
2013-09-11, 11:02 PM
Vryn also kneels down beside Erwin. How is he doing?

LordErebus12
2013-09-11, 11:31 PM
Vryn also kneels down beside Erwin. How is he doing?

Erwin slowly opens his eyes, as the flesh on his face begins to regenerate, the spell knitting a fresh new layer of skin over the wounded portion of his face. While still angry and swollen, the boy's face looks much better than before. Slowly sitting up, Erwin slowly begins blinking through puffy eyes. He reaches up to touch his face in amazement.

"Tha... thank you!"

Ffoh
2013-09-11, 11:48 PM
Erwin, are you all right? We're with Pyra. We will help you.

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 12:09 AM
"Pyra... Did she run off to confront the Blood Children?"

Ffoh
2013-09-12, 12:14 AM
No, we stopped her. She's just outside. With the arcane communication link still open, he whispers: Come inside, Pyra. Erwin is asking for you.

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 01:40 AM
Vryn:
Without being informed on how such a spell functions, she would not be able to return a response. That also means that the important information about the Blood Children would not have been relayed. Acamor knows it and would have to share that information, unless she repeats it.

Inside the Half-Wall:

"What do you know of Pyra? Did she tell you about how her mother was killed? It was them... The Blood Children killed her mother when she was really little. I've kept an eye on her since then, but she has a vendetta against them since she found out. I know I can't stop her from getting her revenge, but don't let her get killed in the process. Please..."

Down the Alleyway:

Pyra sits down on the ground, looking angry. Once she hears that Erwin is safe and is calling for her, via Vryn's message spell, she slowly walks back to the Half-Wall. Entering, she sits down on the rubble and pouts, looking angry that she has to wait for her revenge.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-12, 02:18 AM
Lelli looks down at Erwin from where she has stood back up once more. "I'll make sure she lives, child. Better though, I'll see to it that she never comes to harm again. And anyone who tries might almost mistake my revenge as coming from Hoar himself.". She turns slightly to look towards where Pyra had run off earlier. "You uhm..... you don't mind if I go to her now do you?". She waits for a reply before either staying with the boy or jogging off to find, and most likely comfort, Pyra.

Ffoh
2013-09-12, 02:34 AM
Erwin, we're looking for someone called Kylie the Tout. It's very important. Pyra brought us here because she thought you might know where to find her.

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 03:05 AM
Lelli looks down at Erwin from where she has stood back up once more. "I'll make sure she lives, child. Better though, I'll see to it that she never comes to harm again. And anyone who tries might almost mistake my revenge as coming from Hoar himself.". She turns slightly to look towards where Pyra had run off earlier. "You uhm..... you don't mind if I go to her now do you?". She waits for a reply before either staying with the boy or jogging off to find, and most likely comfort, Pyra.

"She's right there." He points at the fallen rubble, where Pyra is sitting, with a pout on her face.

Erwin, we're looking for someone called Kylie the Tout. It's very important. Pyra brought us here because she thought you might know where to find her.

"Kylie? She's was last seen near the temple where the Blood Children dwell. I'm afraid they have her, or else she would be at home. You're gonna have to go after them to find out if she still lives, of that I cannot be sure."

"I think I'm gonna lie down, I can't stay awake anymore and my head is spinning. Please be careful, Pyra."

"I'm not in any danger, its those bastard demons that are in for a world of pain. Lets go..." Pyra stands up, drawing her rusty dagger. "Wait... Is my mother's necklace still hidden here?"

"Yeah, under that rock where you put it."

Pyra runs over and lifts up a normal looking rock, drawing out a golden chain from which hang a number of golden spheres. She kisses it, placing it over her head and around her neck.

"Let's go. It's a straight shot south of here. The temple is rather big, despite the partially collapsed roof. It shouldn't take long to get there. Get ready. We are less than a minute or two away."

Morbis Meh
2013-09-12, 08:49 AM
Xavier's eye began twitching over the childish antics Thank bloody Vecna I didn't have children, the world doesn't deserve me passing on my seed to the next generation. Muttering darkly to himself he walks over to the impatient gnome and the warrior with the one track mind "Enough of this, running into a battle head down while angry is about the stupidest thing you could do kid. Do you want revenge? Or would you rather fail your friend and your mother by dying because you rushed in too quickly without properly assessing the situation. Storming the hideout of a gang that out numbers us is nothing but sheer folly so if you want to eradicate them you need to stop and use this." He points to his head "And you won't be able to do it like that so calm down, yes they hurt you and your friends but if you really want to make them pay you need to be able to pin point their weakness and pick them apart. So before we leave tell me everything you know about this gang: habits, numbers, vices and their leadership in as much detail as you possibly can. Don't give me no lip either I will not stand for it, you have every right to throw your life away by running in their like a raging idiot but YOU will not risk my life."

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 10:35 AM
Xavier's eye began twitching over the childish antics Thank bloody Vecna I didn't have children, the world doesn't deserve me passing on my seed to the next generation. Muttering darkly to himself he walks over to the impatient gnome and the warrior with the one track mind "Enough of this, running into a battle head down while angry is about the stupidest thing you could do kid. Do you want revenge? Or would you rather fail your friend and your mother by dying because you rushed in too quickly without properly assessing the situation. Storming the hideout of a gang that out numbers us is nothing but sheer folly so if you want to eradicate them you need to stop and use this." He points to his head "And you won't be able to do it like that so calm down, yes they hurt you and your friends but if you really want to make them pay you need to be able to pin point their weakness and pick them apart. So before we leave tell me everything you know about this gang: habits, numbers, vices and their leadership in as much detail as you possibly can. Don't give me no lip either I will not stand for it, you have every right to throw your life away by running in their like a raging idiot but YOU will not risk my life."

Pyra's face gets beat red from the chastising, which sets her fuse. She stands up and puts her fists against her waist, biting her tongue until Dr. Elwood is finished. When she begins speaking, its filled with attitude.

"Listen here, you arsehat! no one is blindly running in there. I know all the nooks and crannies of that building. I'm not blundering in there without knowing what my plan is gonna be!"

"I'm gonna sneak in the back and bring the whole temple down in a gout of fire. The temple is gonna burn to the ground with all them in it, then I'm gonna walk out the burning front door with my head held high and my mother avenged. Why else am I bringing my mother's necklace, its gonna help me do it."

Ffoh
2013-09-12, 11:12 AM
But Pyra, what about Kylie? She could be in there. Rather tell us everything you know about this gang, and we'll make another plan.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-12, 11:14 AM
Xavier laughs out loud "So you're going to destroy a public building in the LADY OF PAIN'S city, one that I might add HAS HOSTAGES in it. Also use you damn head, we were warned of these 'Blood Children' they're run by DEMONS who are IMMUNE to FIRE, bloody they were practically born from it! Your plan is less than useless since all it would serve is entertaining the very beings responsible for all of your pain. So go ahead, murder innocents, allow the real perpetrators to get away without even a slap on the wrist and piss off the most powerful being in the entire city in ONE stroke. Do you think the Lady will give two $hits to your story? NO! She will care that you destroyed a building in HER city." Dr. Elwood took a few deep breaths before continuing "Now do you want revenge or not? If you do then you will need our aid and the price for that aid will be information. Just because you know every nook and cranny of that building doesn't mean we do so if we go in blind this will fail. Now have you seen these demons? If so then I want the best description you can possibly give me so we can properly assess the situation."

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 11:26 AM
for the record, demons are not immune to fire, the Babau are only slightly resistant to it. ER 10/Fire, however the SR can cause it to still fail.

"I forgot about Kylie... Still! I'm gonna burn them all... You are wrong about those beasts, they will burn... I will not. I am immune to my own spells."

Ffoh
2013-09-12, 11:37 AM
Vryn gives Xavier a burning glance. You're alienating the child - rather leave this to me and Lelli. Turning back to Pyra: Your spells? What spells do you cast, Pyra? And who are these Blood Children? When you said demons did you mean real demons?

Morbis Meh
2013-09-12, 11:38 AM
Xavier shakes his head "Go crazy and sign your own death warrant then child but wait until we actually do something useful before you just barge in their. Don't tell me otherwise because that's all you plan to do is sneak in and burn the place down which requires as much planning as what one wants to wear for the day. How are you going to prevent them from escaping, I am sure there is more than one entrance. What will you do if they have contingencies against fire, you obviously know about them so why wouldn't they know about you. Your spells could very well fail against them as well, have you considered that? Sure they may not be immune but they are resistant to fire and with proper reflexes they can shrug off your deadliest of spells. The fact that you didn't factor in a hostage already shows you would fail because the moment you laid eyes on the victim you would freeze. Now stop acting impulsive and tell us what we need to know."

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-12, 12:04 PM
Having walked back to the building with Pyra, Acamor stands behind her while his companion verbally rips into her. He puts a clawed gauntleted hand on her shoulder.

"Then she will show us how to enter undetected. We will free the tiefling, and then we will destroy this demon cult. That is the will of Maglubiyet."

Turning her toward him, he asks, "Do you know exactly where they might be holding our friend?"

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 01:42 PM
Having walked back to the building with Pyra, Acamor stands behind her while his companion verbally rips into her. He puts a clawed gauntleted hand on her shoulder.

"Then she will show us how to enter undetected. We will free the tiefling, and then we will destroy this demon cult. That is the will of Maglubiyet."

Turning her toward him, he asks, "Do you know exactly where they might be holding our friend?"

Glaring at Dr. Elwood, Pyra looks up at Acamor and smiles.

"Demons, yes. babauns or babau, or whatever they are called. The blood covered ones that melt weapons. Three of them. They like using spiked chains on people..."

Babau with spiked chain:
https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1174752_588025184595205_654462299_n.jpg

She begins describing them the best she can.

"Kylie? I do, She would be in the back most portion of the Temple, where they kept me while they...." Pyra stops talking, looking like she's gonna cry again, grasping at the necklace for dear life. After a moment, she exhales and continues. "Luckily, there is a crack in the wall that I could barely squeeze through. From there, the roof and walls are wooden, while the rest of the temple is only wooden inside and on top, the outer most walls are stone. If I went and set fire to the collasped roof just outside the temple itself, from inside the back room, the whole place will light like a tindertwig. They have really dry hay throughout the building, it would catch in an instant."

Ffoh
2013-09-12, 03:17 PM
What did they do to you in there? Oh, was that when they killed your mother? Well, we can't bring your mother back, but at least we can put an end to their reign of terror.

Now, did you say there were only the three demons? Or do they have companions? And tell us about these spells you can cast - can you hurt them?

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 03:43 PM
What did they do to you in there? Oh, was that when they killed your mother? Well, we can't bring your mother back, but at least we can put an end to their reign of terror.

Now, did you say there were only the three demons? Or do they have companions? And tell us about these spells you can cast - can you hurt them?

She suddenly looks extremely mad, casting an angry glance at Erwin.

"I'll incinerate them with my magic... I may be young, but my powers over the element of fire are growing daily."

"They have something they called the Ravager, whatever that is. It used to be chained up in the front passageways, but I don't remember what it looks like anymore. I just remember this long barbed tail and lots of fur and teeth. its must have weighed a ton, since the floor and walls were smashed in from it slamming against them. They used to feed it the dead bodies of those they skinned. I remember them threatening to feed me to it, if my moth.... my mother didn't tell them the information they wanted."

"Besides that, they had some Quasits sometimes. This one used to bring me food and taunt me while I ate."

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-12, 03:52 PM
To Vryn, "There are also the followers Benjamin mentioned before we arrived here. Demon worshipers, brigands and worse. Swine not fit for any purpose than to serve Maglubiyet in the pits of Hell."

He kneels down, nodding at Pyra, "Aye, Maglubiyet favours you. But before we destroy their temple in his name, we need to free Kylie. Is there any way that we can get in there? I don't think my friend here is going to be fitting through any small cracks in the wall." He tilts his head at Vryn.

Acamor looks at Xavier Elwood, "Doctor, you are versed in the subjects of demons and occultism, no? How are we to defeat something that will simply melt away are weapons? Have you heard of this "Ravager"?"

Ffoh
2013-09-12, 04:11 PM
What information did they want from your mother? Does Kylie also have information they might want?

To Acamor: Weapon-melting sounds like a serious problem, but I have a bow and arrows. And if Pyra's fire spells can hurt them, our fireball wands can too. And perhaps our other two colleagues can tell us what magic they bring to the table? He directs a questioning look at Xavier and Lelli.

What we need is to catch them unaware from a spot they can't easily get at. Pyra, would there be such a spot?

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 05:42 PM
What information did they want from your mother? Does Kylie also have information they might want?

To Acamor: Weapon-melting sounds like a serious problem, but I have a bow and arrows. And if Pyra's fire spells can hurt them, our fireball wands can too. And perhaps our other two colleagues can tell us what magic they bring to the table? He directs a questioning look at Xavier and Lelli.

What we need is to catch them unaware from a spot they can't easily get at. Pyra, would there be such a spot?

"I don't know what information, I never found out what she knew, if anything. These babautos or whatever are sneaky; they like to attack from a distance or in stealth or by surrounding and overwhelming you. They also do not appear together very often, but I'm sure they don't stay too far away from each other; at least in their telepathic range. It confused me when I was younger, since they never spoke outloud to each other, although they seemed to know what each other was thinking and act in unison. I think they are telepathic. I don't know Kylie, I've only heard her name in passing before. She is well known in Sigil."

"I'd be worried about entering the temple, since there are so many rafters and broken parts inside. You could get attacked from hidden points throughout. Also, that ravager thing scares me, but we may be able to get around it; I hope. As for their other companions, I did not see anyone else when I was there, but they have been growing in size since then so they may well have more than what was clear at that time. Don't demons summon others?"

"If only I could teleport... I could enter the back and take Kylie out with me. I saw mages that could do it before. Sigil has many shops, but all are closed this late at night. I do not know of any hidden spots, although I remember a broken beam inside the building, it made a hole to the outside from inside. If we could get up that high, we could climb inside the rafters. I don't like heights..."

Dr. Elwood (or anyone with knowledge [the planes]):
Make me a knowledge (the planes) check or Dark Knowledge check, if that works... not sure on how it functions exactly. The information would be on an outsider, known as an Abyssal Ravager.

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 08:26 PM
"If you want revenge, Pyra, I suggest you all go before dawn (about four hours from present time). In the morning, the skies are filled with all sorts, you don't want to be seen approaching that place."

"I know, but we need to discuss one last thing... If we do enter the front, which might be our only option at the time, do we have enough protection and healing to survive such an endeavour?"

"Can you heal us as much as you want or is there a limit?" Pyra looks at Lelli.

Ffoh
2013-09-12, 09:56 PM
If we can get into the rafters unnoticed, that would be ideal. And it just happens that Jerga had the right equipment. I didn't think I'd actually need it, just got what I remembered was useful from my adventuring days... Vryn rummages in his backpack, producing a grappling hook and some silk rope. If you're not good at climbing, Pyra, I can pull you up.

As for magical protection, I can cast magical armor on three of us before I'll need to meditate again. And we have quite a few wands that can help - Lelli has most of them.

LordErebus12
2013-09-12, 11:02 PM
If we can get into the rafters unnoticed, that would be ideal. And it just happens that Jerga had the right equipment. I didn't think I'd actually need it, just got what I remembered was useful from my adventuring days... Vryn rummages in his backpack, producing a grappling hook and some silk rope. If you're not good at climbing, Pyra, I can pull you up.

As for magical protection, I can cast magical armor on three of us before I'll need to meditate again. And we have quite a few wands that can help - Lelli has most of them.

"That could work..."

"I want you all to promise me one thing first. If I get captured or within close proximity to any of these demons, don't even hesitate in firing those fire wands at me. My mother's necklace will go off like a bomb when it gets hit with the fire. Like I said, I'm immune... they are not."

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-13, 12:04 AM
"... We do have another way of gathering information."

Acamor pulls the spyglass he received from Benjamin out of it's pouch. "This spyglass has powers of scrying. We could use it to verify Kylie's position, and possibly that of the demons."

"... Though I know not how it works." He seems slightly embarrassed, but it is hard to tell with the mask. "Perhaps one of you can unlock it's power..."

"The child has seen these demons, and from what little I know of scrying magics, such experience is useful in it's operation."

LordErebus12
2013-09-13, 12:18 AM
"I've heard of such things... you have to be familiar with the target. You said she was your old friend, try it, Acamor."

this child is calling your bluff, lol :smallbiggrin:

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-13, 12:30 AM
Acamor looks through the spyglass. Focusing it, he points it at Pyra. "All I see is a cheeky gnome..." He lowers it. "I am no mystic or worker of the arcane. I cannot use this."

Morbis Meh
2013-09-13, 09:26 AM
Know: Planes for Ravager [roll0] Dr. Elwood will relate everything he knows to his companions on both creatures. Question: would entangle work in the temple you mentioned that razor plant being everywhere would that work and would it also damage anyone to walk through?

Xavier smirks at the child "I can get you on the rafters, after all I do have the ability to fly for short periods of time. I can always cause a distraction if need be to get them away from our intended target.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-14, 01:52 AM
Acamor shoves the spyglass back into it's pouch. He turns to the others, clearly frustrated. "If we are going to go, we had best do so quickly. If the city is to wake in a few hours, I'd rather not deal with further complications."

He stands up, leaning on his military fork somewhat heavily. "It would be best to get a first hand look at this temple."

Ffoh
2013-09-14, 02:07 AM
Yes, let's have a look at this building so we can plan our attack.

LordErebus12
2013-09-14, 02:44 AM
"That might work. Let's go though... The sooner we get there, the safer she's gonna be... For all we know she could have been killed while we all wait around and talk."

Pyra turns to begin climbing the rubble to get outside.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-14, 03:02 AM
Making sure his equipment is secure, Acamor follows.

LordErebus12
2013-09-14, 04:53 AM
The path to the temple takes a few minutes to travel down, pyra seems to be leading you all around to the southwest corner of the building. As you start the final approach, the tight alleyways between buildings soon give way to a clearing around the temple, formerly surrounded by a low wall of stone; much of it has long sense been dismantled and carted away.

Seen from the southwest corner, the temple itself seems to resemble a mix of old dwarven and newer human construction, Much of the second floor and side buildings seem to have been added later on and with different materials than the main building's first floor.

The bottom sections have a lot of carvings and stylization dedicated to Moradin. the structure includes old columns, dwarven statues and numerous arches, while the newer sections are mostly utilitarian and made of unfinished wood. Towards the back of the second floor there is an enclosed small tower, which like most of the first floor, appears to be dwarven in design.

besides the tower, the second floor is mostly open to the outside, rather like a long covered balcony. Stonehedge-style arches holding up a flat ceiling that covers about two-thirds the overall length, with the bottom floor's rounded part uncovered. The long flat ceiling and open walls on the top floor and side buildings on the bottom are more recent additions from the looks of them.

Coming to the edge of the clearing, Pyra stops moving and crouches. You can see there are several cloaked figures moving on the open section of the second floor, apparently keeping watch. Most of them are carrying torches, although some appear to also carry spears.

"I could get in through the small crack, but its on the other end, at the southeast corner. It leads directly into the far wood building in the back. If I can get in there, I could find out if she is in there and then squeeze back out afterwards."

Note: We will be entering the grounds from about A-31, on the bottom left. I cannot upload a new image with our character markers on them until later saturday night, but at least we can begin figuring out the plan. I took the roof off of the partially covered section of the building. You can see the robed 'Guards' at i-4, i-18, D-4 and D-18, between the arches.
http://i.imgur.com/ZXXTiwu.jpg

LordErebus12
2013-09-14, 05:24 AM
Pyra looks at each of you in turn. "Do we intend to enter from the roof or the front?"

Ffoh
2013-09-14, 05:54 PM
Hmm, the roof might be possible - Xavier can cast a flight spell, and I can probably jump that high with some magical help. But can we take out the guards before they raise the alarm? Another entrance may be better. Let's circle round to your crack in the wall. And see if we can find the larger hole in the wall you mentioned. We have to be careful to stay out of sight though.

LordErebus12
2013-09-15, 01:48 PM
Everyone begins proceeding around the temple, until they come up on the wooden building in the back. The tiny crack in the wooden wall seems barely large enough for Pyra to squeeze through, looking as if even she would have trouble with it if she was a bit larger than what she is.

Whispering, "Oh good, they haven't fixed it. Okay, wait here, I'll pop in and see if she's being kept inside."

She begins checking out if the hole in earnest, sitting down on the ground to peer inside. After that, she glances at the men in the group, no doubt observing her as she is doing this. Blushing slightly, remembering that she is in a skirt, she begins to attempt to enter the hole feet first. She gets stuck once, but turning her body, she manages to pop into the hole.

Map (http://i.imgur.com/4WnWE4s.jpg)

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-15, 02:19 PM
Acamor, though continually glancing around to make sure they remain undetected, takes a closer look at the crack in the wall. "Perhaps the wall is weak enough to break through. That would make things easier."

He runs a hand along it, probing for weak points- But Acamor is a worker of steel and and other metals, not a carpenter.

Search : [roll0]

LordErebus12
2013-09-15, 02:56 PM
Acamor, though continually glancing around to make sure they remain undetected, takes a closer look at the crack in the wall. "Perhaps the wall is weak enough to break through. That would make things easier."

He runs a hand along it, probing for weak points- But Acamor is a worker of steel and and other metals, not a carpenter.

Search : [roll0]

It appears that this wall is about 3 inches thick and could be broken further to open a larger hole, but the noise would echo in the silence of the early morning for quite some distance.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-15, 03:30 PM
"I could expand this entrance, but it would make quite a deal of sound- No doubt alerting these foul demon worshipers."

Acamor looks at his companions, "Of course, barging though the front door would alert these foul demon worshipers. ...And climbing to the roof would alert these foul demon worshipers. It seems we should wait and see what Pyra can find."

He grips his military fork more tightly, grinding the haft into the ground, "Foul demon worshipers..."

Ffoh
2013-09-15, 09:43 PM
Well, it looks like there are only the four guards on the roof, and they don't look like demons. If we attack all four simultaneously, we could have a chance of taking them out before they raise the alarm?

At any rate, I think it's time to put our cards on the table in terms of what everyone can bring to this fight. How else can we plan our attack? Acamor is clearly a warrior - what you see is what you get. Or not? And I am also a warrior. I do know a smattering of arcane magic, but besides the wands I got from Benjamin I only have magic that boosts my physical aspects - my size, for instance: I have a wand of Enlarge Person which increases my reach while fighting. But we know next to nothing about Lelli and Xavier: clearly, both of you are skilled in magic, but what exactly can you do?

Moonwolf727
2013-09-16, 02:08 AM
"I.. Don't actually have any magic per-sa, I've only got what you've already seen. My healing I can do any time but it wont affect the same person again until a minute has passed. I have my barrier, though you've seen that it doesn't last very long at all. And along with that I have some... less savory abilities, I'll pull them out if it's needed but rest assured I don't like the idea, those one are mostly blasts.".

LordErebus12
2013-09-16, 02:20 AM
Suddenly a loud bang echos from within the hole, like stone cracking against wood. The sounds of someone running on stone from within the room. The sound of a scream pierces the silence.

"HEL....!"

Another loud sound of something striking the stone floors hard inside. Silence.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-16, 02:44 AM
Acamor glances at his companions without saying a word, and springs into action. Laying his military fork on the ground, he pulls the morning star from his belt and begins smashing in the wall with heavy two handed strikes.

Sunder Damage : [roll0], ignoring 20 hardness.
Further Rolls. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16032122&postcount=62)

Provided nothing interferes, he will continue to smash against the wall until he destroys it, whereupon he will retrieve his pole arm and jump through.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-16, 04:40 AM
Lelli tenses at the shout and subsequent silence, gritting her teeth and clawing her fingers as she waits for Acamor to bring the wall down. Faint wavelengthe dance in her hands, caged by her twisted fingers and expressing her evident anxiety and frustration at the situation. Lelli was still watching the wall intently, waiting for it to break.

readied action: drop The Bass, centered on the first visible hostile on the other side of the wall once it breaks, but placed so that it wont hit Pyra if she's there.

Sonic Damage: [roll0] (reflex save for half, dc on sheet)

LordErebus12
2013-09-16, 10:22 AM
Acamor quickly busts into the room, clearing a hole in which he can easily move through. In the distance, you can hear the sounds of somewhat distant shouts, hard to understand the meaning of them without being closer. Once you force your way in, you notice you have broken into a room with nothing but a small doorway and a massive cage. The cage and doorway are both unlocked and open.

Walking by the doorway, you catch sight of some sort of wall of force spring into existence, blocking the path further into the building. Beyond that, you can see three Babau demons, one of which is holding an unconscious Pyra by the throat. The one in the rear turns to address you all.

"foolish humans... you thought we were not aware of you? Our Master knows all! Nothing will stop Him from being freed, NOTHING!"

After his address, the demons exit line of sight. You all hear the sounds of dry cackling and the sounds of swords being drawn outside.

http://i.imgur.com/2Auzl6N.jpg

Morbis Meh
2013-09-16, 10:26 AM
Xavier puts his hand against his head then glares at Acamor "Fantastic, congratulations not only have you notified the entire temple of our pressence you most likely just got our scout captured. Could you have not waited until she had at least returned before you unleashed your foolishness?" He turns to Vryn "What can I do? I can think that's what now excuse me I shall create a distraction for you people on the roof so you can get in but first..." The Doctor begins speaking in a soft hush, slowly raising his voice as the power fills him, his hands moving in an intricate pattern as he continues. Suddenly he stops speaking and a brief flash errupts from his hands. "This should offer you some form of protection, don't get yourself killed before I get back." He quickly performs another spell causing a brief shimmering to form around him then another before he floats off.

Alright Mass Conviction: +2 to all saving throws for eveyone, then mage arom + fly on Xavier he will go to the roof and have some fun :smallbiggrin:

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-16, 04:39 PM
I'm going to assume Dr. Elwood said all that prior to me entering, and did not follow?

"Your master will fall and serve Maglubiyet in the pits of Hell!" Acamor shouts after the departing demons. Grasping for a stone or perhaps a shard of wood from the remains of the wall, he hurls it at the field, testing it's solidity.

Ffoh
2013-09-16, 05:06 PM
Not sure whether Vryn's mage armor spell (1 hour duration) has worn off yet. I'm thinking we took a couple of minutes (if that) finding Pyra, then maybe 5 minutes talking to her, 10-15 mins walking to Erwin, 5-10 mins talking there, 5-10 mins walking to the temple, 5 mins walking around it and another minute or two that Pyra was inside. In which case the spell is comfortably still active and Vryn casts the new one on Lelli; but if it's been an hour or more he casts it on himself instead.

I'm going ahead and assuming he has 3 turns, stepping into the building with Acamor on turn 4.

As Acamor starts pounding on the wall, Vryn moves his hands to cast a spell. He reaches into his pocket for a wand, which he waves toward himself beofre putting it away and casting another spell.As he steps through the hole behind Acamor, he draws his sword.

Mage armor (see above: on Lelli if own spell still in effect, otherwise on self). Armor +4. Arcane failure 10%: [roll0].

Wand of Cat's Grace on self. Dex +4. From charge pool.

Expeditious retreat. Arcane failure 10%: [roll1].

Waiting for result of Acamor's test of force field before posting next action.

LordErebus12
2013-09-16, 07:41 PM
Acamor and Vryn:
The shard of wood bounces harmlessly off of the wall of force.

Dr. Elwood:
Where do you go? along what path? how far? If you are still outside, then you notice that some of the torches have gone out, although they might have moved off in a different direction, or else into the buildings. The two smaller 'guards' remain behind, moving north to reach roughly the central area of the roof; however, they maintain distance from each other. The two other appear to have either smothered their lights or have moved off.

Ffoh
2013-09-16, 09:33 PM
We have to find another way in - to the roof!

Vryn whirls around back to the opening. In passing, he hands his lantern to Lelli. Hold this, and let me carry you once we're outside. He exits with both hands on his sword, looking for where the sounds of swords being drawn came from.

As Vryn emerges on the outside, both he and Volans increase in size, their height and wing span doubling.

Moves to i21, assuming no enemies are in sight. If there is an enemy, stops with 15 feet of space between them if possible. Enlarge person, expending a charge on the wand and ending up in h-i,21-22. If no enemies are in sight, Vryn will wait for Lelli to come adjacent, then scoop her up in his left arm and run around the building towards L30 and then the roof.

When Vryn is enlarged, carrying Lelli counts as a light load. Expeditious retreat gives him speed 60, so he can run 240 feet in a round.

Edit: he will set Lelli down as soon as he sights an enemy.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-17, 12:17 AM
Glancing at Lelli, Acamor lowers his military fork into a ready position, following close after Vryn.

"Be on guard sirrah, I could not number the amount of blades drawn."

Acamor's eyes widen as he watches Vryn's proportions shift and lengthen, settling into a massively tall version of himself, the transmogrified sword in his hands no doubt over ten feet long. "By Maglubiyet...! You may be of use in battle after all!"

Adopting the stance of a hobgoblin legionnaire, Acamor gives Vryn a wide berth- much as one of a trained ogre. (A useful ally, but one you could count on to trample tightly packed soldiers.)

Turning his gaze from his companion, Acamor scans for enemies, hoping to catch the glint off a sword, despite the darkness that surrounds them.

Spot : [roll0]
If there are none after all, Acamor will follow Vryn and Lelli as best he can.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-17, 02:11 AM
Frowning and relaxing her tensed up body now, letting her illumination go un-evoked, Lelli scowled as the demon let off their taunts and raised their wall. More magic, she wasn't even sure why she idolized it so much right now, it just seemed to be getting in the way. She nods and takes the lantern that Vryn hands her before stepping outside to witness the enlargement take place. She split a small, devious and slightly vengeful grin as a solitary word escaped her lips with glee. "Magic..."

Crossing the distance between them, she stood ready to be hefted up and carried. Nodding thankfully as she looked up at Vryn.
Not much to say here, just moving adjacent to Vryn so he can pick Lelli up and go on his merry way.

LordErebus12
2013-09-17, 05:38 AM
Map and other info:
I apologize ahead of time, I did not read the posts very clearly when I made this map, so your initial moves were cut a bit short. I am going to attempt to be better about that in the future. Space is limited on the map, and I tried to keep some distance between you all and the enemies from the start. I figured since you did not know where they were when you moved outside, you would stop short of running into them.

I took liberties with placing Dr. Elwood, since I was unsure where he would move to while flying. I’m assuming he was headed towards the exposed rooftop.

http://i.imgur.com/Lp7PivU.jpg

Dr. Elwood:
The two guards appear to be on guard, but have not noticed you yet as you come up over the first story.

Everyone else:
As soon as you all exit the hole, you notice that there are three guards, all wearing red robes and black masks, with thin slowing eye-slits being the only feature on the formless masks. two of the guards have a scroll in hand. they begin chanting (in Ignan); two bursts of fire appear, coalescing into a pair of large fire elementals, both shedding light and heat into the chilly early morning. The guard in the middle (G4) draws a long, wickedly pointed rapier; the blade glows faintly with soft red-orange light, as if it were just heated in a forge.

Note:
Kindly pop over to the OoC and roll initiative before we begin, once thats settled, we can start.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-17, 09:24 AM
The doctor quietly begins chanting while his head barely looks over the edge of the floor. He himself didn't have time to face these cretins so he would allow one of his minions to deal with them. He was more than sure that the others would be just fine without him and if not then they wouldn't have been very useful to him anyways.

LordErebus12
2013-09-18, 08:56 AM
Guard: G4

The guard extends his arms, firing two rays of light at Vryn and Acamor. The eyes behind the mask seem to shine with white light.

[roll0] Ranged Touch Attack: Targeting Vryn
[roll1] Ranged Touch Attack: Targeting Acamor

If hits:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Fire Elemental: FE1

the elemental remains stationary.

Fire Elemental: FE2

the elemental moves to base contact with both Vyrn and Volans.

[roll4] Slam Attack: Targeting Vryn
If hits:
[roll5] Bludgeoning and [roll6] Fire plus Burn (Sets you on fire, Reflex DC 17)

Guard: G3, G5

When its their action, the guards set polearms against charges. They do nothing else.

Ffoh
2013-09-18, 02:42 PM
Vryn reels as the ray hits him and seems to be slightly off-balance, just failing to dodge as the elemental slams into him, but managing to avoid catching fire.

Get the one with the rays!

Volans stretching his wings to their full 12-foot span, pushing himself backwards into the air as he retreats from the elemental. Swooping over the group, he whirls round behind them and descends towards the guard at the back, talons outstretched. Instead of attacking, he produces a threatening screech to distract him as Vryn closes for the kill.

At the same moment, Vryn springs into action, ducking sideways before dashing with incredible speed towards the guard at the back. As he swings past him, he delivers a powerful cut with his greatsword and pivots around to face him, sword at the ready.

I'm assuming FE2 is now at [i-j,20-21]. (19-20 would have provoked an AOO from Vryn, since it didn't use Spring Attack). Are the fire elementals (attack and damage rolls) _meant_ to be slightly weaker than the SRD version (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm)?

Vryn reflex save: [roll0]

Volans provokes one and Vryn provokes several AOOs from FE2 (hopefully it can only take 1 :smalleek:).
Volans AC: 22; reflex save if required: [roll1]
Vryn AC: 29 (counting +1 from Dodge feat and +4 from Mobility feat; I'm assigning the new dodge opponent at the end of the action); reflex save if required: [roll2]
(Both of them are under the effect of magic armor, cat's grace, conviction and enlarge.)

Volans moves to i28, providing a flank and performing Aid Another to boost Vryn's attack roll.
Attack vs AC 10: [roll3]
If successful, Vryn gets +2 on attack, in addition to +2 from flanking (assuming success, will edit accordingly if it fails).

Vryn moves around FE2, attacking from [k-l,25-26], and then on to [k-l,27-28] (spring attack). Total movement: 12 squares. (Note: from here he threatens both G4 and G5, and the direct line from Acamor to k26 is open should he decide to charge.)

Vryn attacks using Power Attack for -4 to attack and +8 to damage.
Attack: [roll4] edit: -2 for a total of 11 as Volans's Aid Another failed.
Damage: [roll5]
Threat: [roll6]
Crit dmg: [roll7]

Designating G4 as opponent for dodge, or G5 if G4 drops on this action.

LordErebus12
2013-09-18, 04:26 PM
Vryn reels as the ray hits him and seems to be slightly off-balance, just failing to dodge as the elemental slams into him, but managing to avoid catching fire.

Get the one with the rays!

Volans stretching his wings to their full 12-foot span, pushing himself backwards into the air as he retreats from the elemental. Swooping over the group, he whirls round behind them and descends towards the guard at the back, talons outstretched. Instead of attacking, he produces a threatening screech to distract him as Vryn closes for the kill.

At the same moment, Vryn springs into action, ducking sideways before dashing with incredible speed towards the guard at the back. As he swings past him, he delivers a powerful cut with his greatsword and pivots around to face him, sword at the ready.

I'm assuming FE2 is now at [i-j,20-21]. (19-20 would have provoked an AOO from Vryn, since it didn't use Spring Attack). Are the fire elementals (attack and damage rolls) _meant_ to be slightly weaker than the SRD version (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm)?

Vryn reflex save: [roll0]

Volans provokes one and Vryn provokes several AOOs from FE2 (hopefully it can only take 1 :smalleek:).
Volans AC: 22; reflex save if required: [roll1]
Vryn AC: 29 (counting +1 from Dodge feat and +4 from Mobility feat; I'm assigning the new dodge opponent at the end of the action); reflex save if required: [roll2]
(Both of them are under the effect of magic armor, cat's grace, conviction and enlarge.)

Volans moves to i28, providing a flank and performing Aid Another to boost Vryn's attack roll.
Attack vs AC 10: [roll3]
If successful, Vryn gets +2 on attack, in addition to +2 from flanking (assuming success, will edit accordingly if it fails).

Vryn moves around FE2, attacking from [k-l,25-26], and then on to [k-l,27-28] (spring attack). Total movement: 12 squares. (Note: from here he threatens both G4 and G5, and the direct line from Acamor to k26 is open should he decide to charge.)

Vryn attacks using Power Attack for -4 to attack and +8 to damage.
Attack: [roll4] edit: -2 for a total of 11 as Volans's Aid Another failed.
Damage: [roll5]
Threat: [roll6]
Crit dmg: [roll7]

Designating G4 as opponent for dodge, or G5 if G4 drops on this action.

no, I made a mistake. the fire elemental attack should be +10 and the damage is 2d6+2 plus 2d6 plus burn, but i missed that. take 2 more damage. future rolls will be corrected.

As Vryn and Volans moves by it, the Fire elemental takes a swing at Vryn.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] bludgeoning and [roll2] Fire plus burn (DC 17)
Threat: [roll3]
Crit dmg: 20x2

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-18, 05:21 PM
The beam punches right through Acamor calf, leaving a perfect copper piece sized hole in his armour, and his leg. With a muffled grunt, Acamor stumbles and falls to one knee. Picking himself up, he half limps to the closest enemy- one of the creatures of whirling flame. With blood pouring from his wound, he draws himself to full height and plunges his military fork into the flames. As the weapon draws close to the elemental it bursts into a different type of flames- blacker than the surrounding night, seeming to draw in all light. "Your fires will be added to the power of Maglubiyet, and your master will burn eternally in the flames of his own creation!"

Power Attack -3/+6 with Divine Might

To Hit : [roll0]
Damage : [roll1]
Threat on 20(x2) : [roll2]

Ffoh
2013-09-18, 05:25 PM
As the elemental slams into Vryn a second time, his cloak catches on fire and he winces with pain.

Yikes! Again matching his AC exactly. What an awful turn - why did I open my damn mouth about the FE stats...

LordErebus12
2013-09-18, 06:54 PM
The beam punches right through Acamor calf, leaving a perfect copper piece sized hole in his armour, and his leg. With a muffled grunt, Acamor stumbles and falls to one knee. Picking himself up, he half limps to the closest enemy- one of the creatures of whirling flame. With blood pouring from his wound, he draws himself to full height and plunges his military fork into the flames. As the weapon draws close to the elemental it bursts into a different type of flames- blacker than the surrounding night, seeming to draw in all light. "Your fires will be added to the power of Maglubiyet, and your master will burn eternally in the flames of his own creation!"

Power Attack -3/+6 with Divine Might

To Hit : [roll0]
Threat on 20(x2) : [roll2]

Acamor:
As your military fork strikes the elemental, the curved dagger on your hip seems to pulse with life, as if it had a single heartbeat.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-19, 02:32 PM
Lilli blinked as the carnage started. Almost missed it, except not at all. Wisely, she decided to stay where she was for now, no point risking her fragile hide out there, it looked like the hits Vryn had just taken could've outright killed if it had been her.

She winced and wove a small pattern of light in the air, sending it to speed off and place itself over the Vryn's wounds, hopefully it would do him some good, she also paused for a moment and wondered what Hoar thought of all the healing she did before dismissing it as an idle worry. It probably wasn't too big of a problem for him. She cringed at the fighting again before gathering up another ball of condensed sound, the stuff was blue and pulsed heavily, she'd never figured out why, and tossed it softly into the air in front of her, hefting her cane in two hands and striking the ball so that it flew and landed amidst the fighting, the explosion rang out loudly. It sounded quite pleasant to her, in all honesty.

Then her expression dropped into a frown, it could also be called, as she took a single step backwards, mortified. Oh Hoar why did I do that?!! I hope they won't notice me now....

Share the Love on Vryn: [roll0]

The Bass centered on J-25, should hit both elementals and that middle guard, assuming they havent moved. Reflex save DC18 for half damage. The damage itself: [roll1]

Ffoh
2013-09-19, 03:17 PM
Vryn's stance changes as wounds on his right arm and all along his right flank disappear and he finds himself able to favour that side again. He hadn't noticed how much his ability to swing the sword had been hampered by the blows from the elemental, but he realises that only now is he ready to react at full speed.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-19, 03:47 PM
Taking a half step back, Acamor feels for the strange dagger at his side. A sign from Maglubiyet?

LordErebus12
2013-09-19, 03:56 PM
Lilli blinked as the carnage started. Almost missed it, except not at all. Wisely, she decided to stay where she was for now, no point risking her fragile hide out there, it looked like the hits Vryn had just taken could've outright killed if it had been her.

She winced and wove a small pattern of light in the air, sending it to speed off and place itself over the Vryn's wounds, hopefully it would do him some good, she also paused for a moment and wondered what Hoar thought of all the healing she did before dismissing it as an idle worry. It probably wasn't too big of a problem for him. She cringed at the fighting again before gathering up another ball of condensed sound, the stuff was blue and pulsed heavily, she'd never figured out why, and tossed it softly into the air in front of her, hefting her cane in two hands and striking the ball so that it flew and landed amidst the fighting, the explosion rang out loudly. It sounded quite pleasant to her, in all honesty.

Then her expression dropped into a frown, it could also be called, as she took a single step backwards, mortified. Oh Hoar why did I do that?!! I hope they won't notice me now....

Share the Love on Vryn: [roll0]

The Bass centered on J-25, should hit both elementals and that middle guard, assuming they havent moved. Reflex save DC18 for half damage. The damage itself: [roll1]

Lelli drops the bass, catching FE1 and G4 in the blast, just missing FE2 as it moved to strike at Vryn.

Fire Elemental (FE1) Reflex: [roll0]
Ghaele Awakened Skeleton (G4) Reflex: [roll1]

End of Round 1

Round 2 Map:
http://i.imgur.com/PIbPVgL.jpg

Due to the initiative rule change, players will act first this round, then enemies.

Ffoh
2013-09-19, 04:31 PM
Volans emits another shriek as he flaps his massive wings and extends his talons threateningly towards the guard. Meanwhile, Vryn swings his sword in a wide arc, stepping forward as he does so and aiming cuts first at one guard, then at the other, and finishing in a guarded stance. He winces as his cloak continues to burn.

Reflex save to extinguish fire: [roll0]
Volans aiding Vryn's attack roll vs G4: 6 (rolled in OOC)
Vryn takes 5-ft-step to [k-l,26-27] (Volans now flanks), then whirlwind attack against G4 and G5, using power attack 4/8.
G4 attack: [roll1]
G4 damage: [roll2]
G4 threat (x2 on 19-20): [roll3] Edit: subtract 2 because aid another failed.

G5 attack: [roll4]
G5 damage: [roll5]
G5 threat (x2 on 19-20): [roll6]

LordErebus12
2013-09-19, 04:45 PM
Volans emits another shriek as he flaps his massive wings and extends his talons threateningly towards the guard. Meanwhile, Vryn swings his sword in a wide arc, stepping forward as he does so and aiming cuts first at one guard, then at the other, and finishing in a guarded stance.

Reflex save to extinguish fire: [roll0]
Volans aiding Vryn's attack roll vs G4: [roll]
Vryn takes 5-ft-step to [k-l,26-27] (Volans now flanks), then whirlwind attack against G4 and G5, using power attack 4/8.
G4 attack: [roll1]
G4 damage: [roll2]
G4 threat (x2 on 19-20): [roll3]

G5 attack: [roll4]
G5 damage: [roll5]
G5 threat (x2 on 19-20): [roll6]

Please note, i cannot even see what Volan's rolled for Aid Another in your post.

Vryn's blade slices into the Skeletal Guard with the glowing white eyes, which screeches in anger. Passing out from the wound, the blade spins around but bounces off of the breast plate of the other guard (G5).

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-20, 01:26 AM
Acamor, his military fork still imbedded in the elemental, releases it with his right hand. Reaching for his left hip, he draws the curved dagger that had demanded his attention and viciously slashes at the elemental in one quick movement. The black flames of hell envelope the weapon, almost drowning out the smaller blue ones that dance in the eyes of the skull and dragon designs.

w/ Divine Might

To hit : [roll0]
Damage : [roll]1d4+7[roll] :smallannoyed: -> (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16060404&postcount=119) 8
Threat (x3) : [roll1]

As his strike passes through the flames, he collapses to one knee, his boot now slick with blood.

LordErebus12
2013-09-20, 03:30 AM
Acamor, his military fork still imbedded in the elemental, releases it with his right hand. Reaching for his left hip, he draws the curved dagger that had demanded his attention and viciously slashes at the elemental in one quick movement. The black flames of hell envelope the weapon, almost drowning out the smaller blue ones that dance in the eyes of the skull and dragon designs.

w/ Divine Might

Damage : [roll]1d4+7[roll] :smallannoyed: -> (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16060404&postcount=119) 8
Threat (x3) : [roll1]

As his strike passes through the flames, he collapses to one knee, his boot now slick with blood.

At the slash, the fire elemental backs off slightly, as if repelled by the burning blue blade. It gets cooler in your hand, despite the heat from the elemental. While the attack did not connect, based on its reaction, the fire elemental doesn't seem to want anything to do with that weapon.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-20, 04:00 PM
At the slash, the fire elemental backs off slightly, as if repelled by the burning blue blade. It gets cooler in your hand, despite the heat from the elemental. While the attack did not connect, based on its reaction, the fire elemental doesn't seem to want anything to do with that weapon.

Acamor nearly drops the dagger, had it been a regular shaped knife, he surely would have. His ravaged body had never fully healed, his sense of touch and of pain and of heat, had been left almost numbed. Over the years he had learned to cope. But the cold of the dagger, that he felt acutely- up his arm and down his spine.

Taking a half step/half stumble back, he glances down at it again- watching the blue flames dance along it.

Moonwolf727
2013-09-21, 01:12 PM
Lellli begins frantically multitasking so that she can both cover for her own mistakes drawing attention to herself and to continue contributing to the effort. She drew together another unstable ball of sound as she pointed her cane towards Acamor, releasing a flickering beam of light from the end towards him, she threw the ball again, batting it with only one hand on the cane this time, the other evoking an unstable Wall of Light to cover the majority of her flanks.

My only excuse is that I somehow deleted my subscription to this thread :smalleek:

Anyway, Swift action to heal Acamor with Share the Love: [roll0]

And a standard action to drop The Bass centered on E-25 so that it catches the FE1 and G3. Reflex DC18 for half damage. Sonic Damage: [roll1] (Paying for this one from my mote reserve so I have 4 left in there and 5 in my pool)

Move action to put up a wall of light around Lelli, leaving only F-16 and F-17 unblocked. It's only there for a round.

(this leaves me with 1 mote in my pool and 4 in my reserve)

LordErebus12
2013-09-21, 07:17 PM
Lellli begins frantically multitasking so that she can both cover for her own mistakes drawing attention to herself and to continue contributing to the effort. She drew together another unstable ball of sound as she pointed her cane towards Acamor, releasing a flickering beam of light from the end towards him, she threw the ball again, batting it with only one hand on the cane this time, the other evoking an unstable Wall of Light to cover the majority of her flanks.

My only excuse is that I somehow deleted my subscription to this thread :smalleek:

Anyway, Swift action to heal Acamor with Share the Love: [roll0]

And a standard action to drop The Bass centered on E-25 so that it catches the FE1 and G3. Reflex DC18 for half damage. Sonic Damage: [roll1] (Paying for this one from my mote reserve so I have 4 left in there and 5 in my pool)

Move action to put up a wall of light around Lelli, leaving only F-16 and F-17 unblocked. It's only there for a round.

(this leaves me with 1 mote in my pool and 4 in my reserve)

Both creatures are struck, but only the armored guard seemed fully effected.

FE1 reflex [roll0] EDIT: Success, 7 damage taken
Skeletal Ghaele Armored Guard reflex [roll1] EDIT: -7 on check (wrong creature); Fail, 15 damage taken

LordErebus12
2013-09-22, 11:07 PM
Dr. Elwood hears the blasts of sonic energy, the sounds of combat and notices the sheer brightness of the light over by the group. From the sounds of Vryn's shouting of a ray user, there seems to be some sort of serious threat to them over there.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-23, 09:38 AM
Xavier curses to himself, tired of being placed with incompetants, of course they needed his help but blast it he couldn't be everywhere at once! Looking at the owlbear he knows that it will do its job and tear those poor men to shreds. He floats over towards the noise and begins an incantation, suddenly a whisper fills the back of everyones mind instaneously giving them a surge of energy.

So the Dr will float 30ft to the right just so he can catch sight of them and is casting snake's swiftness mass, so everyone who can make a melee attack gets to make a free one right away.

Here is the owlbear hopefully tearing one of those poor guards to shreds
Claw 1 [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Claw 2 [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Bite 1 [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Morbis Meh
2013-09-23, 09:39 AM
crit confirm [roll0]
extra damage [roll1]

LordErebus12
2013-09-23, 12:31 PM
Armored Guards (G1, G2):

As the Owlbear rips into the first Guard, who barks an order to inform the others. Both guards withdraw, heading for the first floor doorway. they manage to drop down below sight off of the open second floor.

G1 and G2 both use a withdraw action, leaving combat.

Fire Elementals (FE1, FE2):

The first fire elemental moves over towards Vryn, provoking an attack before attempting to slam into him. The second fire elemental attempts to strike at Acamor, seeming almost unsure with it's decision.

FE1 (aimed at Vryn)
Slam Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Bludgeoning plus [roll2] Fire plus burn (Reflex DC 17)
Crit Chance (20x2): [roll3]

FE2 (aimed at Acamor)
Slam Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] Bludgeoning plus [roll6] Fire plus burn (Reflex DC 17)
Crit Chance (20x2): [roll7]

Armored Guards (G3, G5):

The Third Guard makes a charge towards Lelli, attempting to run her through. The Fifth Guard moves a bit closer to Vryn, taking a swing at him.

screwed this up, link will be here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16081369&postcount=132).

Skeletal Ghaele (G4):

The Skeletal Ghaele begins to raise its hands to fire more rays, but stops dead still, glancing up at the roof of the wooden building that the party had exited. It hisses in anger at something.

You all can see something up on the building on a DC 14 Spot Check.
If you beat the DC:
On the top of the building, greatsword in hand, an angel watches. Its wings are spread wide as it kneels in a crouch, as if waiting for the chance to strike.

End of Round Two

Round Three Map:
http://i.imgur.com/sSiSMEo.jpg

Ffoh
2013-09-23, 11:34 PM
suddenly a whisper fills the back of everyones mind instaneously giving them a surge of energy

Volans lunges in with his talons, but only manages to hit the skeleton's armor. Vryn is unaffected by the spell.

The first fire elemental moves over towards Vryn, provoking an attack before attempting to slam into him. The Fifth Guard moves a bit closer to Vryn, taking a swing at him.

As the fire elemental closes in, Vryn moves first, swinging his own sword as he dodges the attack. At the same time, however, the guard to his right catches him with a blow to the side of his head. Vryn staggers back with blood flowing into his eyes.

Vryn and Volans both notice the angel on the roof, but are too preoccupied to react to it - if it enters the battle on their side, good. In the meantime, anything that distracts the skeletal thing is welcome. Instead, he thrusts his sword at it, with less force but more deliberately this time, as Volans makes another distracting feint from the other side. With lightning-quick movements, Vryn's sword then darts first at the fire elemental and finally at the other guard.

Thankfully, the fire on Vryn's cloak dies of it's own accord.

Slight error on map: Vryn finished his last turn at [k-l,26-27] (that's 1 up and 1 left from where he was drawn). Also I don't understand why the FE provoked an AOO - it has the same reach as Vryn, and would have been able to attack from [h-i,24-25] without provoking AOO. With a single AOO it should be at [i-j,24-25] (moving further should provoke more AOOs; Vryn can make up to 4 per round).

Volans action: aid another on Vryn's attack roll vs G4. [roll0]
Vryn whirlwind attack, no power attack this time as both G5 and the FE seem tough to hit.

vs G4:
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

vs FE1:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Crit (19-20/x2): [roll5]

vs G5:
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Crit (19-20/x2): [roll8]

LordErebus12
2013-09-25, 01:57 PM
Slight error on map: Vryn finished his last turn at [k-l,26-27] (that's 1 up and 1 left from where he was drawn). Also I don't understand why the FE provoked an AOO - it has the same reach as Vryn, and would have been able to attack from [h-i,24-25] without provoking AOO. With a single AOO it should be at (moving further should provoke more AOOs; Vryn can make up to 4 per round).

[I]I'll fix it with the next round's map. sorry about that. I'm more than a little irritated at the software's inability to place the girds on all sides, rather than top and left only. its a minor thing, but on big maps it is helpful.

With Volan's aid, Vryn's attacks all strike home.

Morbis Meh
2013-09-25, 02:23 PM
Rolling his eyes, Xavier begins chanting fervantly, concentrating on placing the reinforcements where they are needed most. The owlbear continues its rampage.

Using SNA III to summon [roll0] hippogriffs
their statblocks are as follows:
[roll1]
Str: 22
Dex: 15
Con: 20

Attacks: 2x +8 1d4+6 claws + 1 +3 1d8+4 bite

Owlbear's attacks
claw 1 [roll2]
damage [roll3]

claw 2 [roll4]
damage [roll5]

bite 1 [roll6]
damage [roll7]Ignore these... just read your edits regarding the skeleton in front of the owl bear... what was barking orders to them nothing was in sight and I doubt they could hear anything over the pitched battle below but alas the owlbear will follow them since it is dumb and will chase after whatever it was attacking.

Woohoo! 3 hippogriffs! There will be placed behind both fire elementals and the the ray caster next round! Fe2 so it flanks with acamor, fe3 so it flanks with Vryn and G3 so it flanks with the stargazer.

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-26, 12:54 AM
Reactionary Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16083030&postcount=134)

(Below is part of round 2)

A weaving wave of light wraps itself around Acamor's leg, repairing the damage that had been done. Lifting himself up by leaning on his military fork, a whisper fills his mind, which he interpreted as, <Attack! Strike now!>. Clearly a message from Maglubiyet himself! Acamor ***** back his fist and with all his might delivers a powerful right hook with the ensorcelled dagger. Acamor's arm collides with that of the elemental, whom had also reached to smash him. The resulting shower of flames rolls over his armour, but his arm reels from the blow.

Again, w/ Divine Might

Threat (x3) : [roll2]

LordErebus12
2013-09-26, 02:09 AM
[roll0]

As the dagger strikes home, the dagger flashes with its strange blue fire. The fire elemental makes what could only be identified as a roar as the flames making up its body turn blue for an instant. The heat and light that its body radiates diminish for a moment, allowing the night's cold air to flow back over Acamor before the heat of the fire returns. The dagger becomes icy cold, sending stabbing pains up his arm as he grips it.

Barely audible among the sounds of combat, Acamor hears a single whispered word, sounding more like a question than a statement: Maglubiyet...?

Sgt. Pepper
2013-09-28, 01:51 PM
Acamor believes the voice to be that of the elemental before him. "Yes, you chaat'oor beast of flame, Maglubiyet! Lord of Steel and Fire, master of the black pits of Hell- where you shall soon reside!" Bringing up the punching dagger again, Acamor strikes, while attempting to sidestep and circle around- so as to come closer to the lich engaged on Vryn.

Seeing something from the corner of his eye, Acamor sees the angel of death atop the building. He yells up at it, "You'd best be coming for these, for I shall not be cheated of my eternal place in Hell!"

Moonwolf727
2013-09-28, 04:33 PM
The guard rushed towards Lelli, shattering the wall she'd erected in the process, it's swinging barely missed her as she sidestepped. Honestly it was too close for comfort, there were plenty of places she'd rather the guard was. Within the reach of Hoar himself was one of those places. She glared angrily at the guard, filling the look with a little of her magic, and a lot of her malice. She also spoke a word, except it wasn't really a word really, it was a black static-y noise that crackled in your ears and burned in your throat. Dark speech was a fun, if dangerous, language in her opinion. Lelli relished having an excuse to use it.

Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of a rather angelic being on the roof as she reached back to fish a certain wand out of her backpack, it was an odd sight but certainly not one she should be surprised by, what they were doing was important after all. Apparently.

Standard action, evoke Searing Pain. Sure, it's only twice an encounter, I really want this guy dead.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Vile Damage: [roll1]

Move action to retrieve the wand of Cure Moderate Wounds.

LordErebus12
2013-09-28, 06:20 PM
Acamor believes the voice to be that of the elemental before him. "Yes, you chaat'oor beast of flame, Maglubiyet! Lord of Steel and Fire, master of the black pits of Hell- where you shall soon reside!" Bringing up the punching dagger again, Acamor strikes, while attempting to sidestep and circle around- so as to come closer to the lich engaged on Vryn.

Seeing something from the corner of his eye, Acamor sees the angel of death atop the building. He yells up at it, "You'd best be coming for these, for I shall not be cheated of my eternal place in Hell!"

Note to Acamor:
The whispered voice did not come from the Elemental. You might, in the thick of battle, think it is. In truth, it is something far closer to you than that elemental. It might have well been whispered into your ear or mind, from the sound of it.

As your dagger plunges into the fire, the blade seems to freeze, stinging the nerves in your hand again. As you draw the blade from the mass of fire, you notice that some of the flames seem to stick/cling to it, as if the dagger itself was feeding upon the flames.

The fire elemental appears diminished by your attacks, turning faintly icy blue along with its normal red/orange hues, this time the color change does not dissipate. Wisps of smoke begin to rise off of its body and the air around it seems much colder than before. Acamor can see that the fire elemental's flames begin to weaken, becoming partial and often transparent, revealing openings in its body as if it were about to go out.

A pulse of movement from the dagger in your hand. Maglubiyet... You hear it again, unless you are mistaken, the source of whispers appear to stem from the dagger.

------

The guard rushed towards Lelli, shattering the wall she'd erected in the process, it's swinging barely missed her as she sidestepped. Honestly it was too close for comfort, there were plenty of places she'd rather the guard was. Within the reach of Hoar himself was one of those places. She glared angrily at the guard, filling the look with a little of her magic, and a lot of her malice. She also spoke a word, except it wasn't really a word really, it was a black static-y noise that crackled in your ears and burned in your throat. Dark speech was a fun, if dangerous, language in her opinion. Lelli relished having an excuse to use it.

Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of a rather angelic being on the roof as she reached back to fish a certain wand out of her backpack, it was an odd sight but certainly not one she should be surprised by, what they were doing was important after all. Apparently.

Standard action, evoke Searing Pain. Sure, it's only twice an encounter, I really want this guy dead.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Vile Damage: [roll1]

Move action to retrieve the wand of Cure Moderate Wounds.

At your spoken word, the guard nearly crumbles under its raw power. The guard takes a deep breath and lets out a bellowing roar of fury, snarling at Lelli from behind its mask.

--------

The Angel looks down in curiosity, these people he was instructed to watch over are clearly not good people. From that one's shout of dark speech (in Lelli's case), or that one's admittance of worshiping of some dark being from the lower planes (in Acamor's case). He wonders to himself if he should aid these people, if they would make an attempt at striking him after these creatures had fallen to steel and magic. Perhaps he should wait to see more of their intentions first.

LordErebus12
2013-09-28, 08:06 PM
Fire Elementals (FE1, FE2):

The Second Fire Elemental does nothing, it just sort of wavers there from the dagger's effect. The first one notices the other, and charges Acamor, provoking an attack from Vryn as it exits the area.

FE1 charges Acamor, attempting to aid FE2.
Charging Slam Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Bludgeoning plus [roll2] Fire plus Burn (DC 17).
20x2 Critical Chance: [roll3]

----

Armored Guards (G3, G5):

The Third Guard (G3) seems to lose his cool, swinging his blade wildly at Lelli. Meanwhile the Fifth Guard (G5) swings at Vryn, attempting to take his head off with a cleaving blow aimed at the head.

G3 enters rage, swinging it's glaive at Lelli.
Melee Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] Slashing
20x3 Critical Chance: [roll6]

G5 swings at Vryn.
Melee Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8] Slashing
20x3 Critical Chance: [roll9]

----

Skeletal Ghaele (G4):

The Skeletal Ghaele takes a few steps back and fires two rays up at the angel.

Light Ray: Ranged Touch Attack: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]
Light Ray: Ranged Touch Attack: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]

----

Angel (AN):

Taking both ray attacks, the angel stands to full height, seemingly unphased by them. Taking his greatsword in both hands, held with blade reversed (pointed down), he leaps into the air. With two flaps, his wings carry him easily over everyone. Just after it passes over the Skeletal Ghaele, it drops down towards the ground. Without looking, it thrusts his sword behind him quickly as soon as his feet hit the ground, stabbing blindly backwards at where the Ghaele stands. Even crouching slightly, the angel dwarfs the Ghaele in stature, reaching roughly seven and a half feet in height.

Melee Attack: [roll14]
Damage: [roll15] Slashing plus [roll16] Holy
19-20x2 Critical Chance: [roll17]

-----

End of Round 3

Ffoh
2013-09-28, 09:29 PM
Vryn thrusts his sword at the elemental as it moves away, but leaves himself open to another swipe from the guard in the process. As the guard attempts to take off his head, he jumps back but takes another nasty blow to the face. Vryn sinks to his knees in a pool of blood, barely managing to hold his sword at the ready, his giant frame still towering over that of his opponents.

Yet again matching Vryn's AC exactly. He's down to 9hp now.

AOO vs FE1:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

Sgt. Pepper
2013-10-02, 02:22 AM
"Maglubiyet, you speak to me?" Acamor looks at the dagger. "Then take this creature as tribute!" Raising the blade high, he brings it down on the weakening one. However the second elemental, unseen to him, batters him from behind: the blow does negligible damage but knocks him off balance, causing his attack to falter.

LordErebus12
2013-10-03, 07:14 PM
"Maglubiyet, you speak to me?" Acamor looks at the dagger. "Then take this creature as tribute!" Raising the blade high, he brings it down on the weakening one. However the second elemental, unseen to him, batters him from behind: the blow does negligible damage but knocks him off balance, causing his attack to falter.

Acamor's dagger passes right by the fire elemental, missing its target.

Morbis Meh
2013-10-04, 08:31 AM
The doctor watches his summons spring into creation and begins focusing on the elementals and attempts to recall any useful data on them.
Knowledge planes for fire elementals [roll0] alright add +1 to each attack roll... god that was god awful out of 10 rolls I averaged a 5...

He relays all that he can recall to all his allies, including the summons then chants to protect himself from anyone trying to hurt him.

Casting Sanctuary

The Hipogriffs appear in their designated locations and begin attaking their foes from flanking positions.

HP(3d10+15)[38]

Claw 1
[roll1] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll2]

Claw 2
[roll3] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll4]

Bite 1
[roll5] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll6]
HP(3d10+15)[38]

Claw 1
[roll7] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll8]

Claw 2
[roll9] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll10]

Bite 1
[roll11] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll12]
HP(3d10+15)[38]

Claw 1
[roll13] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll14]

Claw 2
[roll15] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll16]

Bite 1
[roll17] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll18]

LordErebus12
2013-10-06, 03:38 AM
HP(3d10+15)[38]

Claw 1
[roll1] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll2]

Claw 2
[roll3] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll4]

Bite 1
[roll5] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll6]
HP(3d10+15)[38]

Claw 1
[roll7] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll8]

Claw 2
[roll9] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll10]

Bite 1
[roll11] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll12]
HP(3d10+15)[38]

Claw 1
[roll13] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll14]

Claw 2
[roll15] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll16]

Bite 1
[roll17] I will add bonus from dark knowledge afterwards
damage [roll18]

All of the hippogriffs are gonna have to move into range, since you need line of sight to know where to summon them, especially if you are trying to put them behind someone that is behind a building (blocking your sight). Also, range needs to be taken into account (35 ft).
http://i.imgur.com/gFWJ9H5.jpg

Ffoh
2013-10-11, 01:19 PM
Ok, I'm a bit unsure where the hippogriffs are, but here goes. Should just be waiting for Lelli's action after this.

Volans repeats what is clearly a trained move, distracting the guard from a flanking position. At the same time, Vryn aims a cut with his sword, then attacks the other guard on the follow-through before stepping away. Glancing at the angel who seems to have appeared out of nowhere to save his life, he exclaims "Who are you?"

Volans: 5-ft step to i29; aid another for Vryn's attack against G4:
Vryn: yet another whirlwind attack, followed by 5-ft step to [j-k,25-26].

G4:

G5:
Damage: [roll] 3d6+7 edit (rolled in OOC):[18]
Threat (19-20x2): [roll4]

LordErebus12
2013-10-12, 01:08 AM
Ok, I'm a bit unsure where the hippogriffs are, but here goes. Should just be waiting for Lelli's action after this.

Volans repeats what is clearly a trained move, distracting the guard from a flanking position. At the same time, Vryn aims a cut with his sword, then attacks the other guard on the follow-through before stepping away. Glancing at the angel who seems to have appeared out of nowhere to save his life, he exclaims "Who are you?"

Volans: 5-ft step to i29; aid another for Vryn's attack against G4:
Vryn: yet another whirlwind attack, followed by 5-ft step to [j-k,25-26].

G4:

G5:
Damage: [roll] 3d6+7 edit (rolled in OOC):[18]
Threat (19-20x2): [roll4]

I'm struggling with these summons too. I need more specifics on where and how they are moving, as well as to which squares. So far, i've had to actually figure it out based on how far they could double move, including minimum turning speeds with average flight. I'm really not into the whole summoning bit, if I have to figure out how they act each time, since they could not reach them to full attack (or even attack once). Most of them are one 5ft. step away from a full attack action (which will likely be their next moves). One had to provoke to enter flanking range.

Map as of Pre-Lelli's action:
http://i.imgur.com/sRE7pAo.png

Vryn's attacks all hit, then he side steps.

The angel turns to face Vryn, raising blade high to strike at the undead.

"I would hope I was a friend."

Sgt. Pepper
2013-10-12, 01:42 PM
Acamor strikes in fury once again against the elemental. This dagger might be potent against these enemies, but such weapons are unsuited for war.

Seeing the angel of death speaking with Vryn, Acamor yells over the roaring of the fire elementals, "Do not entreat with angels, Vryn! They serve weak gods and will lead us to ruin!"

LordErebus12
2013-10-18, 10:10 AM
Acamor strikes in fury once again against the elemental. This dagger might be potent against these enemies, but such weapons are unsuited for war.

Seeing the angel of death speaking with Vryn, Acamor yells over the roaring of the fire elementals, "Do not entreat with angels, Vryn! They serve weak gods and will lead us to ruin!"

Acamor's attack misses, passing through the outermost flames of the elemental.

The Angel scoffs at the jab. Perhaps these are not allies, as he had hoped.

Ffoh
2013-10-18, 01:48 PM
Vryn can't get himself to hold his tongue: Can't say I approve of gods, but at least the weak ones do less harm than the strong! And I'd rather be indebted to an angel than lose my life!