PDA

View Full Version : Point System Fantasy - New RPG

Hovannes
2013-09-06, 11:39 AM
New Non-level Role Playing Gaming System designed to be flexible and promote Role-playing.

Have a look and please leave your feedback. Any and all comments welcome!

This project started about 10 years ago when a group of friend got together and wanted to ‘fix’ the problem areas of fantasy games (AD&D at that time). After countless hours of discussion (arguments mostly) we decided to make modification. Over the years, this has become my project accumulating in a new fantasy gaming system. Yes, we have play tested it, but need a fresh perspective from others that are not part of our discussion group.

If you’re a gamer, have some time to read, or even run the new campaign, your insight would be appreciated. Oh, and it's Free. PSG Website Link (https://sites.google.com/site/pointsystemgaming/home)

If you’re into reading novels, the website also contains the first two chapters of a novel, more posted weekly, based on this gaming system. Discovered Destiny Link Here
(https://sites.google.com/site/pointsystemgaming/discovered-destiny)
Thanks in advance :smallsmile:
Hovannes

erikun
2013-09-06, 10:47 PM
Just a quick question. What does your system do that's unique, or that's interesting enough to look through a new ruleset to find out?

Hovannes
2013-09-09, 11:30 AM
Well, I’m glad you asked;

Three major differences between my system and most RPGs out there currently.

1. Dynamic Stat system – although this has been done to some extent, our group has taken it one step further.

D&D (and all of its variants) focus on a static stat (Strength = 13, Dexterity = 15…and so on) where the value is set, commonly during character generation, and rarely if ever improved naturally during game play without magic or similar aid. In Point System Gaming (PSG), you start with a dice value, a potential for a given stat if you will. Rather than assigning bonuses for high stats like in earlier D&D version, the stat itself is commonly used to determine success, damage, etc.

Example: PSG character wants to roll to hit, he rolls his Dexterity dice + weapon skill dice, damage is commonly determined by rolling Strength dice + weapon damage dice. In my view, this provides a wider range (bell curve if you will) than a simple D20 + bonuses roll. It spices up not only combat but also skill checks and magic rolls.

2. Vocation versus Class progression – unlike D&D, PSG uses a vocation system instead of classes. Though it seems like a play on words on the surface, it is more than that. A character can start the game with a given vocation then accumulate additional vocations as he progresses focusing on whatever skills, abilities, or powers he chooses. Thus, no true character classes exist to limit what a character can actually do. Mages can ware armor, rogues can use two-handed weapons if they so choose, and so on. The character is only limited by the choices he makes not by ridged ‘class’ limitations.

3. The magic system is designed to be free flowing allowing characters skilled in this area to mix and match various magical schools to custom tailor spells to their personal style. Of course, the system does have a large group of ‘standard’ spells used and accepted by the population in general, but these spell formulas are guidelines and can/should be modified based on the player’s desires. Further, players have an option to create/modify spells on the fly to fit a given situation – though these applications are a bit more difficult to pull off.

There are many more differences. You might be thinking that these concepts are not new, and I agree. I would like to believe that they have not been utilized in a single gaming system however. The difficulty in developing this system was not injected these concepts, but dislodging them from a level based progression system. I am sure you know the deal; a level 3 character often cannot hold a candle to a level 13 character. While there is something to be said for experience and character development, PSG is more focused on allowing characters of most skill/experience levels to game together.

I do realize that most GMs have their own gaming system out there, and I do agree that reading them all can become a daunting task, if you have the time to do it in the first place. My friends and I have put in a considerable amount of time developing/testing this system and I can only hope that other may find it helpful and perhaps preferable to some other ‘box’ system available.

Thanks;
Hovannes

erikun
2013-09-09, 06:34 PM
Have you played the IronClaw or JadeClaw systems? Because it sounds like your idea is remarkably similar to what they've put together.

1. Dynamic Stat system – although this has been done to some extent, our group has taken it one step further.

D&D (and all of its variants) focus on a static stat (Strength = 13, Dexterity = 15…and so on) where the value is set, commonly during character generation, and rarely if ever improved naturally during game play without magic or similar aid. In Point System Gaming (PSG), you start with a dice value, a potential for a given stat if you will. Rather than assigning bonuses for high stats like in earlier D&D version, the stat itself is commonly used to determine success, damage, etc.

Example: PSG character wants to roll to hit, he rolls his Dexterity dice + weapon skill dice, damage is commonly determined by rolling Strength dice + weapon damage dice. In my view, this provides a wider range (bell curve if you will) than a simple D20 + bonuses roll. It spices up not only combat but also skill checks and magic rolls.
So do your stats have different dice sizes, like d12 Strength and d6 Dexterity? Or is it simply different bonuses for each dice, such as +5 Strength and +3 attack rolls, giving a total of 2d+8 when attacking with a weapon.

Also, combining dice together from two different sources is a pretty common dice pool resolution method. World of Darkness has been doing so since 1991. :smalltongue:

2. Vocation versus Class progression – unlike D&D, PSG uses a vocation system instead of classes. Though it seems like a play on words on the surface, it is more than that. A character can start the game with a given vocation then accumulate additional vocations as he progresses focusing on whatever skills, abilities, or powers he chooses. Thus, no true character classes exist to limit what a character can actually do. Mages can ware armor, rogues can use two-handed weapons if they so choose, and so on. The character is only limited by the choices he makes not by ridged ‘class’ limitations.
This sounds almost identical to D&D3e's multiclassing system, or IronClaw's careers.

What do you get from improving a vocation? Does it improve skills? Does in improve combat ability and "health"? Is there a way to improve skills outside inproving vocations?

3. The magic system is designed to be free flowing allowing characters skilled in this area to mix and match various magical schools to custom tailor spells to their personal style. Of course, the system does have a large group of ‘standard’ spells used and accepted by the population in general, but these spell formulas are guidelines and can/should be modified based on the player’s desires. Further, players have an option to create/modify spells on the fly to fit a given situation – though these applications are a bit more difficult to pull off.
This sounds okay, although it seems like it would feel that most magic is similar with a few different specializations, rather than wildly different abilities only tied together because they are considered "magic".

Hovannes
2013-09-10, 10:01 AM
Not very familiar with Iron or JadeClaw, but I did play Savage Worlds which had a varied dice system for stats and skills.

PSG has a range from 1d4 to 1d12 for stats, with the starting average being 1d8. During character generation a player is able to downgrade (1d8 to 1d6) in order to boost one from 1d8 to 1d10. Stats at 1d20 are considered beyond standard humanoid limitation and are reserved for character native to other planes of existence or non-standard dimensions. Monsters can of course have stats at D20 and above.

Thus, it is possible for a character to start with a D12 in say strength by downgrading two of his other stats to D6s. Some races, like elves, receive bonuses (+1 to Dexterity), to one or more stats. Additionally characters are able to add static bonuses (+1 to +3) for enhancements (read as feats) they can purchase, or more commonly with magical or psionic items. Active spells or psionic devotions can also add such bonuses for limited durations.

I love the world of darkness, and played it for years. If you’re interested our group also has made a group of homegrown additions which are also available for download on the website (https://sites.google.com/site/pointsystemgaming/rpg---homebrew-notes/vampire-the-masquerade). Moreover, you are correct; the concept is very similar commonly combining a stat dice with a skill (or other appropriate dice pool) to achieve a better bell curve result. Unlike the world of darkness however, dice are not restricted to D10 and the Target Difficulties (TD) varies based on the action attempted. World of Darkness commonly uses dice pools of 5-8 dice, accumulating success when each dice rolls over a specific TD. In PSG, two dice are typically used and the TD is reached by adding the values together along with any bonuses that apply to the roll.

Multi-classing is not a new concept I agree. In PSG vocations affect the character starting bonus hit points, add 2-3 vocation specific skills (like magic use, psionics, which cannot be purchased independently), and determine the cost of increasing combat/weapon skills.

Skills, even those obtained from vocation, must be improved independently by expending experience points. So in essence, vocation provide access to training and through this training a few skill that cannot be learned without possessing the vocation.

The magic system concepts is similar to the Mage Role Playing game (off shoot of the world of darkness) but with clearly deigned mechanics and a more traditional framework.

Hovannes

Hovannes
2013-09-12, 09:50 AM
Working on putting together a character sheet and a character generation guide for PSG. Other than the standard, race, gender, age, skills, etc., what else do you think would be helpful for players that are new to the game?

Hovannes
2013-09-16, 08:48 AM
Finally finished the Character Generation Guide. Now to work on a character sheet.

Hovannes
2013-09-23, 04:29 PM
Just added a discussion on magic (to the website). Seven laws of magic and four postulates focused on the World of Equran. Although many gaming systems have the mechanics down for a functional magic system, I have not seen any articles that cover magical laws.

If you have seen or know where I can view such an article please let me know, or if you have the time send me a link.

Thanks in advance;

Hovannes
2013-10-02, 04:30 PM
New Updates. The Nine Hells are now described plane by plane, not sure if the red text adds or subtracts from the 'feel' I am trying to get across.