PDA

View Full Version : Testplaying D&D at my school and need ideas

TrollCapAmerica
2013-09-06, 12:32 PM
This Monday im looking to run a mini-adventure for everyone in my Gaming/Anime club at my college. Ive seen people express some interest in the game and I figured a short easily digestible game with a clear goal to pursue, a short dungeon romp, and some premade characters would make for a good intro.Ive got a basic framework of ideas for the game but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask for a critique from a board full of other DMs/Players.Either for ideas to make it more interesting or pointing out possible flaws I might not have considered

Anyways heres what ive got thus far

The local area is the borderlands of a much larger kingdom and they have protected the area with 3 holy artifacts that ward the land against evil.Unfortunately this effect didnt stop a smash and grab raid by an unusually clever and aggressive set of bandits that stole {McGuffin number 1] at the behest of a nearby horde of classically marauding orcs

The PCs have been hired to attack to sneak into the bandits base and regain the artifact before the Orcs get it.A secret back entrance has been found by a scout [or the Rogue PC].Cue a short dungeon crawl

The game will have 4-6 PCs depending on how many players feel like giving it a whirl.Im making them slightly better than generic with a few neat character quirks and the prepared casters will all have a pre-set spell selection.They will be 3rd level so they get just a few interesting tricks without being too powerful for such a simple game

1] A Lion spirit totem Barbarian-Uber charger in training and a 9 Int
2] A Gnomish Cleric of Garl Glittergold-Protection & Good domains and the towns sherrif
3] A CN Human Rogue-TWFer with spiked gauntlets trying to stay on the sherrifs good side
4] A human Conjurer-Brilliant but lazy 18 Int 10 Wis guy
5] A Halfling Bard-The player will get a note on his character sheet saying he is a LE servant of Asmodeous with the goal of being as heroic as possible to plant himself into the town and advance his patrons goals.He will only make his move around 8th+ level and for now acts like Elan to keep suspicion off him.He helped the bandits set this whole thing up so he could swoop in and save the day with his group of easily manipulated meatshields

Because nobody ever expects the Halfling Bard

I havent designed the actual dungeon itself or fully written out the characters skill lists but id like it too be fairly short and give just enough room for each character to do one particular "thing" they can feel good about accomplishing.

Any ideas and/or various cool things to make the game more interesting?

Larkas
2013-09-06, 12:47 PM
Hmmm, seems solid enough. I wouldn't start at level 3, though, since level 1 play is specially important for beginners. Besides, the casters will take a while before learning more powerful spells, so that might be a turn off. Maybe level 2, if you don't want them too squishy?

For the record, since you're playing with Anime club pals, you might want to take a look at BESM d20. It's the best "anime meets D&D" system out there. It also has some pretty neat ideas, though I guess it might take a little more experience to note those.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-06, 12:51 PM
I agree that level 1 play is important for beginners, but mostly so that they have an introduction to building characters without complexity. At level three with pre-gens, there's not much difference other than a few extra feats and an additional spell level, which seems important in drawing in a new crowd.

The only thing I would add is that it's important to make sure that they know they can solve problems without combat. Be sure to insert a wide range of solutions to the adventure, rather than just hack'n'slash. Imaginative problem solving is the best part of D&D.

Edit: You are going to decide their spell lists for them, right?

TrollCapAmerica
2013-09-06, 01:17 PM
For the record, since you're playing with Anime club pals, you might want to take a look at BESM d20. It's the best "anime meets D&D" system out there. It also has some pretty neat ideas, though I guess it might take a little more experience to note those.

Im not to worried as has been pointed out lv3 is just to round them out a bit and add a few more tricks

Ive seen BESM D20 before I just didnt care for it all that much.I just want them to get a shot at regular D&D and most of them have seen enopugh LOTR or played enough Skyrim to appreciate that sort of thing

The only thing I would add is that it's important to make sure that they know they can solve problems without combat. Be sure to insert a wide range of solutions to the adventure, rather than just hack'n'slash. Imaginative problem solving is the best part of D&D.

Edit: You are going to decide their spell lists for them, right?

Yeah a few good non-combat events would be in order.I think a few obstacles like a mineshaft to climb up would be good and a simple trap for the rogue to find.I hate when traps appear without a bit of logical reasoning behind them too so ill probably have something that could only be activated via the PCs route while pointing out that is probably an emergency exit not intended to be entered by the bandits.I think things like that will help immersion quite a bit

The PCs spell lists are gonna be

Cleric

1st
Divine Favor
Comprehend languages
Magic weapon
Domain spell Protection from evil

2nd
Lesser restoration [For the barbarian rage problem]
Sound Burst
Domain spell-Shield other

Bard

1st

Silent image
Tashas uncontrollable hideous laughter

Wizard

1st
Grease
Summon Monster 1
Identify
Enlarge person

2nd

Glitterdust
Summon Monster 2
Scorching Ray

This will include a few notes on how the Character likes to use these spells like "You use lesser restoration after the Barbarian rages to keep him in fighting condition" and "Grease can cripple alot of guys and make winning a fight easier"

Maginomicon
2013-09-06, 01:38 PM
I recognize that you've put some significant work into this, but take it from my personal experience:

If you're getting total newcomers, do not let them have anything but one of the four generic classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm). They are far far easier to build and run than a standard class. They also provide more opportunity for really basic forms of variety, and so if you have more players you can easily show how two characters in the same class can have very different focuses. You do not want players to assume that the character you hand them is the primary/only way such a class should be played. This will also allow them to later transition to standard classes a lot easier and with a better understanding of how character variety helps.

Furthermore, I'd strongly suggest that you make your first cleric (preferably one you have them make later instead of one you hand them now) be a Cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) Cleric so that they don't get the wrong idea about all clerics from the fact that the standard cleric is a combat beast.

Kol Korran
2013-09-06, 02:06 PM
Glad to hear you're bringing new people to the game! Have fun! A few Ideas though:
1) 3rd level is a real sweet spot for an introductory game. I think that was a god choice.
2) I suggest making about 2 more characters than you intend to have players. This serves two purposes- first, there is some choice. (You can't guarantee everyone will like the characters you make). Secondly, you might get an extra player or two joining at the last moment. You wouldn't want to turn them down! Don't worry about balance, you can always put more minions!
3) As to character's personality. I suggest don't decide for the players. Give them some general lines ("The barbarian is known for his strength and courage, but not very good in civilized" matters and such...) Roleplaying a character is a personal thing, and should be dictated by the DM as little as possible. Making a character your own (Even if it's simple and basic), is a major part of the fun.

For example, lets say someone wants to play the bard, because he likes the classical bard, or because they like the "rock star" attitude, or because they like being a jack of all trades who knows a lot of lore. But they basically want to be a good guy. Then you slap them with "You're evil!". That can utterly the ruin the fun for a player. When designing premade character keep the following in mind: The idea is to ease up the mechanical aspects, but still let the characters be the player's own characters.

3) I suggest leaving a few mechanical choices for each player to choose. It could be between 3 feats, or perhaps between 3 sample magical items, or perhaps between a few spell choices. This being an example play, limit the choices, but let them make them. Again, adds to feeling the character is theirs.

4) You seem to intend for a very scripted type of adventure, where everyone finds something cool for their character to shine. Don't. The barbarian might be too wounded, and decided not to fight raging. The wizard might have expended that spell earlier, the rogue might not even think to look for those traps, and so on. As always when making plans for characters- it never survive contact with the players.

Instead create fairly open ended challenges, with all kind of interesting potential options in them, but not ones the party MUST take. Let the players get creative, let them come up with interesting ideas. It's what makes things fun!

5) You mentioned something about springing a trap at level 8. You're planning 5 levels from now? That is waaaaaayyy too ahead in the future. Remember "no plan survives contact with the players"? What if they wish to change characters? or maybe a whole different story, which you all make together (Unlikely, but if they propose it, jump on the opportunity with both hands!) What if they do stupid things, or brilliant things and utterly change the way things work? In the general gaming forum there is a thread about "wise words for DMs" or such. I suggest looking through it, some good stuff there!

6) Important, very important: Leave a few important choices to the players to make, that have an impact on the world, and that can go several ways, all of which you're ok following (No "One right choice") This is CRUCIAL tothe fun in play. It can be as simple as what threat to take down in a complex fight, to Whether to rush an enemy holding hostages, to learning an uneasy truth about the artifact, bandits, orcs, or the party themselves, and making a tough choice about it (one way or the others). Choices make the game meaningful to the players, make them more invested, and the game more... real. Don't tell them a story, have them make the story, good or bad.

Good luck to you in the game. have fun and tell us how it was! :smallsmile:

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-06, 02:39 PM
I think that your idea of giving the characters pre-gen backstories is definitely a good idea. That will make it much easier for the players to figure out how to give their characters a personality. However, I think Kol is right in that they should probably be allowed to determine how their character achieve the goals set by their backstories.

Your spells lists look pretty good - the bard player is going to have a lot of fun, I think. I would recommend altering the cleric one slightly, so that these new players don't come into D&D with pre-conceptions about clerics only buffing. You don't have to tell the players where all of the spells come from - it might be easiest to just write the effects of each directly onto the sheets, sort of like the daily/encounter things from 4e.

0: create water
light
no light (BoVD 100)
detect magic

1: comprehend languages
updraft (SC 228)
obscuring mist
D: P:E

2: lesser restoration
sound burst
D: shield other

Lord Haart
2013-09-06, 03:00 PM
As always, i strongly suggest mixing Warlock, DFA (with Entangling Exhalation to show the awesome battlefield control that's practically their cornerstone) and Warblade along with traditional-type caster and melee types, for the players that are not into vancian resourse management in the first two cases (psionics are also nice in this regard — actually, i strongly advice to introduce psionics first, as "default" spellcasters, and vancian types only when they are into the system enough to learn something that complicated) and for the players who'd like to have flashy abilities on their melee in the last case.

JusticeZero
2013-09-06, 03:02 PM
I don't use Orcs. The reason is thus: Orcs can do lots of damage in a burst. Dying in one hit isn't fun. At the point where an orcish critical hit won't instantly bring the characters from healthy to - 11, they are no longer a significant threat.

For a first level group, use something like goblins or vegepygmies or similar - a Small monster that swings once with a weapon and does 1d4 or close to it. Use them in groups. If they kill someone, it's because they made a tactical blunder and the monsters were able to concentrate fire on them, they will go down swinging, and they will be laying there for awhile making stabilization checks while the party tries to evacuate them, rather than making them decide on a new character because they can't be raised yet.

TrollCapAmerica
2013-09-06, 03:36 PM
Wow thanks for all the advice people.Ill take all that in I just wish I had time to address it all.Ill get to work maybe even post an update on it monday

Thanks again :elan: