PDA

View Full Version : Humans fighting on all fours?

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 04:34 PM
So say that a human had to crawl around in able to move, be it hands and knees or hands and feet. What do you think would be a decent martial build, if you had to deal with that?

Renen
2013-09-06, 04:41 PM
Be a totemist. Then grab a bite, sting, more limbs, claws, spit attacks, etc.

JusticeZero
2013-09-06, 04:45 PM
Aegis - Abberant can do similar things as well, if you are in PF.

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 04:56 PM
nope not in PF, and TOI is....hard.

tyckspoon
2013-09-06, 04:58 PM
D&D has a relative abundance of non-hand-using 'weapons', so your only real restriction is that you probably won't be using a 2-hander. Unarmed Strike is probably the easiest non-handed weapon to buff damage with aside from the 'Buff Strength, Power Attack with a 2H' standard; any of the X of Smack builds should basically work for this. You could even two-weapon fight with an Unarmed Strike and Armor Spikes/Braid Blades/Boot Blades/whatever if you wanted.

Tengu_temp
2013-09-06, 04:58 PM
Psionic Warrior, Bite of the Wolf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/biteoftheWolf.htm). It's not ideal, but better than nothing.

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 05:00 PM
I was actually considering swordsage + kappa shield.

Curmudgeon
2013-09-06, 05:29 PM
This seems like a good choice for a crossbow sniper. You don't have any minuses to attack, and you get a +4 boost to AC against ranged attacks.

QuintonBeck
2013-09-06, 06:23 PM
Grapple monster? Come lurching and bounding up and bearhug the enemy to the ground for some ground and pound?

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 06:38 PM
yeah , shield ward + sloth domain sounds very good for this sort of consideration.

With that crossbow sniper idea though, you could become your own little bunker if you got the shield ward feat, to help counter any dangers a Dm may send your way .

Need_A_Life
2013-09-06, 07:23 PM
The world's laziest psion. :smalltongue:

hiryuu
2013-09-06, 07:27 PM
So say that a human had to crawl around in able to move, be it hands and knees or hands and feet. What do you think would be a decent martial build, if you had to deal with that?

Are we talking about knuckle-running here? It always freaks a new group out when I turn out to be faster on all fours than up on two legs. I might take the Swift trait or what have you, maybe Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple. Mostly because when you're down like that it's easy to roll and grab and climb people. Otherwise it'd just be a flavor fighting style. Unless you're in a condition that's unusual, like low ceiling or something?

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 09:33 PM
No am talking about hands or knees, or the type of "running" you see on a wrestling mat.

An it is not just flavor, you move at 1/2 your speed in those mode ( according to oriental adventures)

Hytheter
2013-09-06, 09:44 PM
Could be a monk
Unarmed Strike doesn't specify hands, so you can attack while on all-fours
Fast Movement helps overcome the speed drop

Curmudgeon
2013-09-07, 12:27 AM
No am talking about hands or knees, or the type of "running" you see on a wrestling mat.

An it is not just flavor, you move at 1/2 your speed in those mode ( according to oriental adventures)
Actually that only happens if you're wearing a Kappa Shell Shield. There's no option to move on all fours otherwise.

Equinox
2013-09-07, 12:33 AM
The fighting part is easy - it's just imposes a one-feat tax - Prone Attack (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/prone-attack--2250/)- after which it's business as usual. The difficult part is moving when prone. Normally, you only get to move 5' as a move action, and even that provokes AoOs.

So I guess you'll need to stock up on a lot of Anklets of Translocation, Travel Devotions, and similar movement enhancers.

Ekul
2013-09-07, 12:39 AM
The fighting part is easy - it's just imposes a one-feat tax - Prone Attack (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/prone-attack--2250/).

Slight correction- due to the lightning reflexes requirement, it's actually a two feat tax.

Gadora
2013-09-07, 01:34 AM
Actually that only happens if you're wearing a Kappa Shell Shield. There's no option to move on all fours otherwise.

There is crawling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#move). It's kind of a terrible movement mode though.

Renen
2013-09-07, 07:10 PM
nope not in PF, and TOI is....hard.

Whats TOI?
And why is it hard

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-07, 07:47 PM
I assume he means Magic of Incarnum, it is a fiddly sub-system and the book is really badly organized so it is kinda difficult to understand/use at first.

Renen
2013-09-07, 09:56 PM
Difficult? It took me about 2 hours to read through the books important parts and understand exactly how it all works.

CyberThread
2013-09-07, 10:05 PM
Good for you :D , want a cookie?

But yes I had meant MOI, thank you for catching that

Renen
2013-09-07, 10:45 PM
Im surprised thats its good for me and not others. Not like its a hard system. Neither is the ToB but why do people so often say otherwise.