PDA

View Full Version : mystic theurge

elonin
2013-09-06, 06:37 PM
I'm planning out future levels for a ranger 8, wizard 1, arcane archer 1. After next level (arcane archer level 2) it occurs to me that this might be a build that isn't hurt by mystic theurge. Any thoughts?

HunterOfJello
2013-09-06, 06:47 PM
are you going Sword of the Arcane Order? if so, you might be able to enter without taking more wizard levels or early entry stuff. i don't remember the text from Sword of the Arcane Order though.

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-06, 06:49 PM
Uhhh...
What sources do you have available?

What is your entire build, as it stands now?

Have you seen this?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10830.0

It looks like you've made a very sub-par low optimization level, phb+dmg only archer... Is that what you were going for?

elonin
2013-09-06, 07:20 PM
The group is somewhat low op. The DM has allowed all PF sources, but is less friendly to 3.5 stuff.

My current build is
Elf
Ranger8/wiz1(transmuter)/AA1
s14, d22, c12, i14, w14, cha12 (these include magic mods)
feats:
1st:precise shot
2nd ranger:rapid shot
3rd:point blank shot
3ranger:endurance
5th:deadly aim
7th:weapon focus (long bow)
9th:arcane armor training
I'm using a +2 frost adaptive long bow which isn't the best but was given at 1st level and designed to scale.

The biggest knock on MT is the hit to BAB.

Urpriest
2013-09-06, 07:22 PM
For a PF Archer, you want to keep BAB up for Deadly Aim. On the flipside, Ranger spells are less cool than in 3.5, so there's no need to advance them. On both fronts I'd avoid Mystic Theurge.

Snowbluff
2013-09-06, 07:23 PM
I agree with Ur Priest. I would think the better option would be to go Ranger5-6/Wiz1-2/Arcane Archer (Wizard progression).

are you going Sword of the Arcane Order? if so, you might be able to enter without taking more wizard levels or early entry stuff. i don't remember the text from Sword of the Arcane Order though.

You can use it without Wizard levels. You just need a spellbook to borrow spells from, or have one from Magical Training (:smallwink::smallwink:, nudge nudge) or a Wizard Level for the book.

elonin
2013-09-06, 07:52 PM
I looked at sword of the arcane order before but thought the dm wouldn't accept it. Personally if arcane archer had allowed divine spells to qualify it would be a better choice for rangers.

So with the build I have now just continue on with AA and a few levels of wizard? The abilities later in AA aren't that good though that is the way to keep bab up and increase wizard level.

Snowbluff
2013-09-06, 09:04 PM
So with the build I have now just continue on with AA and a few levels of wizard? The abilities later in AA aren't that good though that is the way to keep bab up and increase wizard level.

AA 2 then. IS this PF or 3.5? In PF, continuing AA is viable for free arrow bonuses.

If it's 3.5, finish with Abjurant Champion or something.

elonin
2013-09-06, 11:26 PM
This is for PF. Would have sworn that i marked the thread. DM said some of the bonuses stack with my magic bow. Since it is already +2 the straight bonus will not but he'll let me choose another element for damage so frost and shocking.