PDA

View Full Version : A lower stat block acceptable for LA?

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 09:04 PM
So now am curious

Do you think any template or race would be worth going from a 32 point build to a 25 point build for a +1 la value?

limejuicepowder
2013-09-06, 09:14 PM
Generally speaking, it would be very worth it. A +1 race/template with decent ability modifiers would essentially allow you to "buy" higher point increases without the diminishing returns of regular point buy. They also have the usual advantage of being able to start higher than 18.

In the end though, it comes down to the specific race or template. Something that is complete garbage, like hobgoblin, remains complete garbage. Half-giant or w/e those crazy templates are from Dragon Mag become even better.

Edit: one interesting thing this would is allow is casters to more easily use non-standard races. Even if the race in question doesn't boost the main casting stat, 25 points is still plenty for most casters. The race's natural boosts would be gravy, and they wouldn't lose any caster levels.

Greenish
2013-09-06, 09:14 PM
Depends on the template or race. Most should be able to recoup the points in modifiers, but not all +1 LA races were created equal, not to even mention +0 LA races or +1 LA templates.

Namfuak
2013-09-06, 09:39 PM
In general, class features>racial features, which is why the LA buyoff rules exist. In the case that you want to keep your party evenly leveled, I think this is a decent general solution, though it may be that certain races would be too powerful with this rule. However, that's a group-by-group and case-by-case decision, I'd support this rule if it was suggested.

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 09:47 PM
examples of types that would be to powerful ?

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-06, 09:48 PM
The feral template for starters.

CyberThread
2013-09-06, 10:04 PM
that is RHD not Class HD

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-06, 10:11 PM
Gheden then?

Greenish
2013-09-06, 10:18 PM
that is RHD not Class HDThat's irrelevant. Seriously, the Pounce is hardly the only thing the template has, I have no idea why everyone keeps bringing it up. :smallannoyed:

Also, Mineral Warrior, Half-Minotaur, Half-Ogre, Lolth-Touched, damn, even something like Dark or Draconic on a decent base race is better than a great many +1 LA races.

Zanos
2013-09-06, 10:31 PM
That's irrelevant. Seriously, the Pounce is hardly the only thing the template has, I have no idea why everyone keeps bringing it up. :smallannoyed:

Also, Mineral Warrior, Half-Minotaur, Half-Ogre, Lolth-Touched, damn, even something like Dark or Draconic on a decent base race is better than a great many +1 LA races.

It's almost like LA doesn't work how it should or something...

Chronos
2013-09-07, 09:20 AM
It depends on your character type. If I'm making a rogue-type, for instance, I'd always accept the Dark template for this price, but probably wouldn't bother with most others. If I'm playing a melee character, then I'd take Feral or Mineral Warrior, or maybe Goliath or Half-Giant, but not anything else (Half-Minotaur would of course be even better, but I still have some pride-- There's no way I would allow anyone, including myself, to use that template as written).

zlefin
2013-09-07, 10:29 AM
if you're looking for guidelines, find the rules for E6; i'm pretty sure E6 rules use lower point buy to substitute for LA.