PDA

View Full Version : level 9 character concepts

Irk
2013-09-06, 09:15 PM
So I'm doing a campaign with some friends and I wanted to know what kind of role I ought to fulfill. One person is playing a homebrew of a dashing swordsman, another is playing a psion, and the third is playing a sorcerer or wizard. The third player has not played in a while, so a second spell caster is obviously viable. The starting level is 9 and the level we're reaching for is 16.

The only really effective character is going to be the psion, who says that they're are going to focus on damage. I know that the swordsman is going to be the diplo guy, and I don't know about the spellcaster, but I pretty sure they will not play a great role early on due to poor spell selection, but I might help them with that.

The level of optimization is moderate, but the DM is a notorious optimizer himself, so stuff at pun pun level and Omniscifier are not acceptable, but things like the twice betrayer trick and a lot of the psionic tricks are definitely allowed

all books, all resources, nothing is barred (3.5). I don't want a fully fleshed out build, just a basic idea.

Medic!
2013-09-06, 09:18 PM
Dwarven Druidic Avenger Doo-dad, go!

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-06, 09:20 PM
Be the support/healbot?
Or when in doubt artifice constructs all day.

Urpriest
2013-09-06, 09:20 PM
Melee, another caster, not stepping on the wizard or psion's toes...I'd go with Cleric. Build to whatever level of optimization you're comfortable with, and make liberal use of Divination to find the right spell for the right situation.

JanusJones
2013-09-07, 12:20 AM
Sounds like you're missing a front-liner or a sneak - I'd go with either. Blend Into Darkness + At Home In the Deep + one level of Warlock = HiPS, and Dungeoncrasher + Warblade = SMASH.

My two cents!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-07, 01:35 AM
It looks like you need a frontliner plus divine caster/healer. If psionics shenanigans are available, I'd go some mix of Crusader or Warblade and Ardent, with the Life mantle. With Practiced Manifester you'll still get max level psionic powers for your level if you only take four non-Ardent levels. Pick when you take those Warblade/Crusader levels based on what your initiator level will be and what maneuvers/stances you want. Use Hidden Talent to get Vigor and Substitute Powers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) to gain Share Pain and Bestow Power. Take Midnight Augmentation: Bestow Power and probably Midnight Dodge (or any feat that gives +1 essentia) and Bestow Power costs 3 pp to grant 2 pp, and augmented for every 1 pp extra you spend it grants another 2 pp, so spending 5 pp it grants 6 pp, spending 9 pp it grants 14 pp. This allows you to fill your and the psion's powerpoint pools back up to the max between encounters.

Get a Psicrystal, keep Share Pain on it so you take half damage from all sources. Its Hardness 8 reduces every instance of damage it takes from Share Pain by that much regardless of the original attack's type. Keep it in a compartment on your person so opponents will never have line of sight/effect to it and cannot target it directly or hit it with area effects. When you use Vigor you can share it with the psicrystal just like any other buff. Give the psicrystal a Healing Belt and it can use it to heal you during combat when needed.

Take Persistent Power (3.0 psionics handbook, it's still valid like any other 3.0 content that wasn't reprinted, you can find it here (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/ArcanaOccupationsandFeats.rtf)), with Ovechannel you can persist 2nd level and lower powers starting out. I'd recommend Force Screen (Force mantle), Offensive/Defensive Precognition (Fate mantle), pick Mental Barrier for later (use Substitute Powers for Fate as it has no 3rds), Animal Affinity x6 (Natural World mantle), and whatever else you can find. Get armor spikes with Spellblade (PGtF) for Greater Dispel Magic to avoid losing your buffs, and a Ring of Enduring Arcana (CM) if using magic/psionics transparency. Don't actually wear armor, put the spikes on leather straps and use Inertial Armor + a Monk's Belt to get your Wis bonus to AC.

HalfQuart
2013-09-07, 06:51 PM
Maybe DMM Cleric? Persist Divine Power, Righteous Might, etc.

Grayson01
2013-09-07, 07:01 PM
Dwarven Druidic Avenger Doo-dad, go! LOVE IT PIKEL!! !