PDA

View Full Version : Possible Cantrip for Hitchhikers...

rdcoll
2013-09-07, 12:35 AM
Hello all,

I was looking around for some versatile orisons for a druid character when I came up with an idea. At first it was just an amusing notion but after considering it a bit more I thought I might be on to something. How does this spell sound to people? Is it sufficiently balanced? Flavorful?

Mystic Towel
Abjuration

Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 4 hours / level (maximum 24 hours)

"About the most massively useful thing a planewalker can have!"

Mystic Towel creates an invisible, absorbent cloak around the caster. Although the towel can, naturally, be used to remove dampness and excess moisture from an object (as per the prestidigitation spell), the towel is extremely versatile...

• As a swab, the towel is an extradimensional space that can hold up to two pints of liquid. A towel saturated with a nonflammable liquid can be used to grant fire resistance 1 to a creature of medium size or smaller, and a towel saturated with a flammable liquid can be wrapped around a rod and used as a torch. A saturated towel can be wrung out as a standard action.

• As a mask, the towel grants a +1 bonus to Fortitude saving throws against breathing heavy smoke, and any cloud effect that would normally nauseate (stinking cloud, fetid breath, etc) will only sicken the caster instead. Although the towel is still not visible when used as a mask, it does distort the facial features of the caster enough to grant a +1 bonus on a single Disguise check.

• As a hood, the towel reduces the -4 Fortitude penalty applied for heavy clothes in hot environments to -2. When worn as a hood the towel also provides sufficient protection from the sun to allow the caster to begin healing nonlethal damage taken from exposure to heat.

• As a whip, the towel cannot do damage, nor does this spell grant proficiency with whips. However, if the caster succeeds at a normal ranged attack with the whip against any normal animal, the target animal must succeed at a Will saving throw or become shaken.

AuraTwilight
2013-09-07, 02:21 AM
Brilliant.

BlackDog918
2013-09-07, 02:22 AM
I think the +1 to Fort saves is a bit much for a 0-level spell, at least when combined with the other uses. I like it though, it's nice to see Hitchhiker's references every once in a while.