PDA

View Full Version : Lazy DM's Alchemy Guide

StryderH
2013-09-07, 12:36 AM
So when I started playing with my PCs 3 years ago I wanted it to be as easy as possible for my friends to pick up this game so I made some revisions and made my own simple engine based off of 3.5.

We don't use skills, and skill points are instead used to upgrade stats. This being said of course the ACs, BABs, and HPs of all creatures have been changed as to accommodate their power as well as any challenge rolls.

The problem is that I also got rid of carrying capacity, and was going to institute an item limit but my PCs don't actually like to loot anything and they're not in it for the treasure :I They've always just liked leveling up and RPing with NPCS

I have an alchemist in my party now and she's level 4 now and getting the ability to make many things.

I need to come up with some sort of system for her to make things.

She can't just make everything for free instantly and have an infinite supply.

I am setting her up with modified challenge craft rolls to make the things, but should she have to find strange ingredients? And if so how should she have to find things? My PCs never tend to split up to do personal things. They always just stick together and do just the main campaign.

I need a way to limit her speed of creating infinite anythings (Maybe just charging her gold to make potions?) and some sort of carrying limit so she can't make infinite poisons and explosives (Again mayhaps money?)

But I'm not sure and I would like some input

White_Drake
2013-09-07, 01:44 AM
I don't think you'll find what I'm about to say helpful, but I do think it's pertinent. D&D is a very details intensive, crunch-focused game, and although your patches have worked hitherto, I imagine problems such as this will tend to crop up. I'd recommend either banning the class, and other classes which might have similar issues (i.e. Artificer), or, more highly, switching to a more rules-light system.

Alternately, and perhaps more usefully, you could allow the items to be used as spells, with a prep time involving gold expenditure at the beginning of the day allowing the usage of certain items X times that day. I don't find this very elegant, but I'm not really a fan of your mods; it might work for you, and if so, swell.