PDA

View Full Version : (Maybe with video) Wizardry 8 Let's Play?

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 01:37 AM
I'm considering doing a Let's Play of Wizardry 8. I will only be able to post with Prt Scr, however, not have a Let's Play with video dialogue.

I will name the character's after Playgrounders. . . and you could vote on the characters classes.

Olinser- Male Hobbit Gadgeteer
Slayn82 - Ninja Human Male Laidback

Edit:
Tomorrow I may have a cam available to show what's happening.

Maelstrom
2013-09-07, 03:15 AM
Ah old school greatness.... Wizardry - Proving grounds of the mad overlord on my PC jr,way back in the day was my introduction to computer gaming....

Good to see someone else out there with an interest...

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 08:55 AM
Ah old school greatness.... Wizardry - Proving grounds of the mad overlord on my PC jr,way back in the day was my introduction to computer gaming....

Good to see someone else out there with an interest...

I can only hope I get more than one interested party. lol.

Domochevsky
2013-09-07, 11:24 AM
Iunno, man... your pitch is not too impressive, and screenshot LPs of games that look good in motion are hard to sell in general. But the game itself is a decent enough choice. There are only very few LPs of that around. :smallsmile:

Meta-Meta gamer
2013-09-07, 12:34 PM
Query, whats wizardry 8?

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 12:48 PM
Query, whats wizardry 8?
*Spoilers, don't read the spoilers, but the wikipedia entry is below*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_8

Don't read the spoilers, but basically, in Wizardry 8, it's a video game for PC that has many MANY different classes and races for you to create a party of six characters with.

Philemonite
2013-09-07, 12:49 PM
Hybrid Party:

Lord with Maces(LV1 Priest switched to Lord)
Samurai with Swords
Valkyrie with Polearms
Monk with Staves
Ranger with Bows
Ninja with Thrown

Lord and Samurai in the middle, Valk and Monk on the sides, Ranger and Ninja in the back. Weak magic, but awesome if you are patient enough.

Balanced party:

Rawulf Priest
Elf Ranger
Felpurr Samurai
Human Bard
Mook Psionic
Rawulf Valkyrie

This party speaks for itself.:smallwink:

Caster Party, just for fun:

Rawulf Priest
Elf Alchemist
Faerie Mage
Mook Psionic
Felpurr Rogue
Dracon Fighter

Works surprisingly well. With Mace/Dagger and Shield Priest and Alchemist have some survivability while Mage and Psionic can stay way in the back.

Do you play 4E?

If you do I could squeeze you in here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301174).

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 12:53 PM
Do you play 4E?

If you do I could squeeze you in here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301174).

Do I dabble in Black Magic? No.

Philemonite
2013-09-07, 12:56 PM
Do I dabble in Black Magic? No.

Black Magic?:smallconfused:

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 12:57 PM
Black Magic?:smallconfused:

I'm just joking. I have never dabbled in 4th Edition. ;)

Philemonite
2013-09-07, 12:58 PM
What better time to learn then now?:smallwink:

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 01:07 PM
What better time to learn then now?:smallwink:

Does it have a free PDF?

Philemonite
2013-09-07, 01:19 PM
No.:smallfrown:

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 01:27 PM
No.:smallfrown:

Eh I probably won't eve nbother. :( Sorry about that.

Philemonite
2013-09-07, 01:34 PM
Too bad, it would be nice to have another player who knows what's going on (only one of the players ever played Wizardry 8).

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 08:30 PM
Too bad, it would be nice to have another player who knows what's going on (only one of the players ever played Wizardry 8).

Yeah, didn't mean to blow you off, but I'm not made of green. ;)

Olinser
2013-09-07, 10:01 PM
I haven't played it in over a decade, but if I recall, the Gadgeteer was unbelievably overpowered at higher levels.

He started out very poor, but his power absolutely took off after about level 10. By the end of the game I recall my Gadgeteer had essentially 100% accuracy, could hit just about anybody at ridiculous ranges, and got nearly 10 shots a round.

ArlEammon
2013-09-07, 10:31 PM
I haven't played it in over a decade, but if I recall, the Gadgeteer was unbelievably overpowered at higher levels.

He started out very poor, but his power absolutely took off after about level 10. By the end of the game I recall my Gadgeteer had essentially 100% accuracy, could hit just about anybody at ridiculous ranges, and got nearly 10 shots a round.

That's also what I hear as well. :D

Slayn82
2013-09-08, 08:37 PM
I had a great time playing Wizardry 7 & 8 a few years ago. I offer myself for a Ninja with unnarmed and throwing focus.

ArlEammon
2013-09-08, 08:42 PM
I had a great time playing Wizardry 7 & 8 a few years ago. I offer myself for a Ninja with unnarmed and throwing focus.

Gotchya. ;)

TheEmerged
2013-09-08, 09:41 PM
You have my attention. I presume we're doing this "straight", not loading a Wiz7 save. How spoilery are we making this? Should we make decisions knowing certain NPC's are available or not?

Gadgeteer comes highly recommended. I'm partial to the Bishop as well, although there are certainly reasons not to.

ArlEammon
2013-09-08, 10:03 PM
You have my attention. I presume we're doing this "straight", not loading a Wiz7 save. How spoilery are we making this? Should we make decisions knowing certain NPC's are available or not?

Gadgeteer comes highly recommended. I'm partial to the Bishop as well, although there are certainly reasons not to.

This is a blind play through for me after leaving the Monastery. . .

erikun
2013-09-09, 04:55 PM
I remember Wizardry 7! Sadly, that was the only game I played. I did have a lot of fun with a team of six pixies, all taking magic classes and class-changing to give everyone Ninjitsu, so that they could all hide in combat. It certainly wasn't something that I'd recommend when playing for the first time, though - despite the high magic power in the party, they were quite frail.

Asteron has some good ideas, although really, the party composition doesn't matter too much. As long as you have a good front-line defender and magic users in the back, the party itself will likely fair well. The more difficult part of the game is working with the NPCs and getting them to tell you what you need to know before they tick you off enough to kill them. :smalltongue: (It becomes surprisingly difficult at times.)

ArlEammon
2013-09-09, 06:23 PM

Do you want to be claimed as the Bishop or Engineer? :)

Olinser
2013-09-09, 10:41 PM
Hey now, I recommended the Gadgeteer, he should bear my name as the most overpowered character in the party :P

ArlEammon
2013-09-09, 11:23 PM
Hey now, I recommended the Gadgeteer, he should bear my name as the most overpowered character in the party :P

Also, what's your personality, gender, and portrait? :D

Olinser
2013-09-10, 08:23 AM
Also, what's your personality, gender, and portrait? :D

Uh, not sure what you can pick from - is there a website or something? Like I said, I haven't played in 10 years.

ArlEammon
2013-09-10, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5t9BK5VUGM

Unfortunately, I can't find all the images for the portraits, but if I can get the camera set up today, I might be able to show you guys everything you need to know.

Slayn82
2013-09-12, 05:29 AM
Human, Laidback, Voice 2. As for the portrait, well, Male Ninja.

ArlEammon
2013-09-13, 12:27 AM
Human, Laidback, Voice 2. As for the portrait, well, Male Ninja.

Anyone else?

Philemonite
2013-09-13, 03:29 AM
Rawulf Priest
I can't remember which voice is it, the one that says "Sure, I'll join. I've been itching to do something wild and reckless anyway"
The portrait is the one in the brown coat.
I never play without that character either as a priest or lord (with CC mod, where lord gets Shield bonus, not the useless Dual Weapon).

ArlEammon
2013-09-13, 08:21 AM
Rawulf Priest
I can't remember which voice is it, the one that says "Sure, I'll join. I've been itching to do something wild and reckless anyway"
The portrait is the one in the brown coat.
I never play without that character either as a priest or lord (with CC mod, where lord gets Shield bonus, not the useless Dual Weapon).

Dual Weapon's not useless with Maces in each hand. ;)
Okay, so I found a camera today, the actual Let's Play will probably start once I figure out how to load it on Youtube and maybe we'll have a real Le'ts Play after all.

Philemonite
2013-09-13, 08:31 AM
It is when it goes above 100. I read somewhere that it offer no benefits. Besides, Lord should be a defender, so Mace and Shield is just so much better.

ArlEammon
2013-09-13, 08:32 AM
It is when it goes above 100. I read somewhere that it offer no benefits. Besides, Lord should be a defender, so Mace and Shield is just so much better.

20 points lost in Dual Weapons is 20 points that can go into a Rawulf Lord's intelligence, or other stat. ;)

Philemonite
2013-09-13, 08:41 AM
20 points lost in Dual Weapons is 20 points that can go into a Rawulf Lord's intelligence, or other stat. ;)

But skill and attribute points are separate. Besides, you are still suck with 125 maximum that can be used on something else.(like +2 AC from a Shield skill:smallwink:)

Olinser
2013-09-13, 08:51 AM
Anyone else?

Sorry I've been moving houses - my internet has been down outside work and I can't access youtube. I'll try to post tonight for my character.

ArlEammon
2013-09-13, 09:08 AM
But skill and attribute points are separate. Besides, you are still suck with 125 maximum that can be used on something else.(like +2 AC from a Shield skill:smallwink:)

I guess so. :D
Hey, um. . . think starting as a Lord and going to a Samurai would be a good idea?
I'm a newbie. ;D

Philemonite
2013-09-13, 09:24 AM
I guess so. :D
Hey, um. . . think starting as a Lord and going to a Samurai would be a good idea?
I'm a newbie. ;D

Unless you are doing it at level 2 changing class i Wiz8 is not a good idea. It's better to start as a Samurai and stick to it, since they get a special starting equipment, and finding a katana or wakizashi is pretty hard.
Felpurr is my favorite race for a Samurai.

ArlEammon
2013-09-13, 09:29 AM
Unless you are doing it at level 2 changing class i Wiz8 is not a good idea. It's better to start as a Samurai and stick to it, since they get a special starting equipment, and finding a katana or wakizashi is pretty hard.
Felpurr is my favorite race for a Samurai.

I can find an Enchanted Katana and a Wakizashi at Arnika. :/
Is it not the same in earlier versions of Wiz 8? I got the one from Gog.

Philemonite
2013-09-13, 09:38 AM
I can find an Enchanted Katana and a Wakizashi at Arnika. :/
Is it not the same in earlier versions of Wiz 8? I got the one from Gog.

If you want to DW Swords that's a long time to wait to get an off-hand sword. Not to mention that it costs quite a few GP. You will probably be around level 6 when you reach Arnika, that's a lot of practice time wasted. You will have to take a dagger as your secondary weapon, and that is pointless for a Samurai.
I personally almost never multiclass.

ArlEammon
2013-09-13, 09:55 AM
If you want to DW Swords that's a long time to wait to get an off-hand sword. Not to mention that it costs quite a few GP. You will probably be around level 6 when you reach Arnika, that's a lot of practice time wasted. You will have to take a dagger as your secondary weapon, and that is pointless for a Samurai.
I personally almost never multiclass.

I hate it when opportunity for very cool characters are wasted. :smallannoyed:

Philemonite
2013-09-13, 09:59 AM
That's the thing about Wiz 8, almost any party has a chance if you know what you are doing, but multiclass is a big NO if you aren't sure what you are doing.

ArlEammon
2013-09-13, 10:01 AM
That's the thing about Wiz 8, almost any party has a chance if you know what you are doing, but multiclass is a big NO if you aren't sure what you are doing.

By multi-Class, you mean Fighter 1 and Cleric 1,
not Lord 1, Samurai 1, etcetera, right?

Philemonite
2013-09-13, 10:15 AM
By multi-Class, you mean Fighter 1 and Cleric Priest (:smallwink:) 1,
not Lord 1, Samurai 1, etcetera, right?

Lord and Samurai are hybrids and they are great as long as you know how to use them. Combining Lord AND Samurai with the same character is NOT great.

Olinser
2013-09-13, 09:09 PM
Make me a Male Hobbit Gadgeteer, Chaotic 2. I don't see anyplace that has the portraits up.

ArlEammon
2013-09-14, 11:03 PM
I'm a camera/video newbie. How do I do this effectively and sufficiently?

So far I have tested that it works. I just don't know how to really use it for a Let's Play.
I'm not sure I have audio with it either.

ArlEammon
2013-09-14, 11:04 PM
Also, guys, I'm looking for any takers for more interested parties. :D

Olinser
2013-09-15, 08:44 AM
I'm a camera/video newbie. How do I do this effectively and sufficiently?

So far I have tested that it works. I just don't know how to really use it for a Let's Play.
I'm not sure I have audio with it either.

Cameras aren't the best idea - you lose a lot of resolution, and it will pick up any ambient noise (i.e. mouse, keyboard sounds, anything you say).

There are a number of programs that will record everything is on the screen, including the game sounds - I used to use FRAPS when I made WoW boss kill videos, but haven't used it in 5 years, maybe somebody else can recommend a newer program.