PDA

View Full Version : Feats to apply templates to summons

Crake
2013-09-07, 03:34 AM
So I'm making a spirit shaman in an upcoming game, and me and my DM are talking about a feat that would apply the spirit animal template to my summons (creatures that qualify only, so no spirit animal hippogriffs) as a level 6ish feat (requires the ability to cast 3rd level spells). Basically give me a better source of damage vs spirits (no str, but no 50/50 miss either) which is in theme with a spirit shaman, we both agree.

In addition, my character comes from the cold north, so we were talking about allowing a feat which applies the Ice Beast template to summons (sorta like spontaneously converting summon natures ally into conjure ice beast, but only taking creatures from the SNA list).

What do you guys think about the balance of these feats?

eggynack
2013-09-07, 03:49 AM
What is the spirit animal template, exactly? I haven't been able to find it thus far. Anyways, as for the other feat, I tend to like beckon the frozen (Frost, 47) as an ice themed summoning feat. Alternatively, Rashemi elemental summoning is both very cold based, and very powerful. As for your template idea, why not just go all out, and just have the feat allow you to cast conjure ice beast spontaneously, instead of using the indirect templating workaround? Either way, that spell isn't too powerful, so I've gotta figure that getting to cast it spontaneously wouldn't be too powerful either.

Edit: Just found spirit animal. Summoning incorporeal stuff might give some versatility edge that I'm not seeing, but it shouldn't be all that powerful. I'd probably take the other major summoning feats, rashemi elemental and greenbound summoning, before I'd take that one.