PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Marksman: Problems with competence boni

Feint's End
2013-09-07, 07:17 AM
So ... we got Wind Reader, Favored Weapon and for the sake of it possibly Style Mantra (Finesse Style). First question is if Style Mantra is a circumstance or a competence bonus ... I tend to assume it is a circumstance bonus since my real issue starts with Wind Reader and Favored Weapon.
How much sense does Wind Reader make if you already got Favored Weapon (I bet 9 out of 10 Marksmen barely ever use weapons other than their preferred group) except for probably the first few level? If the Style Mantra of the Finesse Style would be a competence bonus too it would be utter useless.

Is there an errata somewhere approaching some of the issues above?

Keneth
2013-09-07, 08:02 AM
Well Wind Reader can grant you a significantly higher bonus than Favored Weapon, so while they don't stack, it's still useful. This is especially true if you're using Wis instead of Dex to make ranged attacks.

Style Mantra is most likley a circumstance bonus as that's what the first sentence says, but as far as I know there has been no errata for this particular issue.

You should probably post this question on the official forum where you might get an answer directly from the source. Or wait for Ultimate Psionic, and hope they've fixed things there.

Feint's End
2013-09-07, 09:52 AM
hmm ok I see ... thanks for the answers.

JusticeZero
2013-09-07, 03:37 PM
Definitely ask on the official forum. It might have slipped past. Or be confusing wording; they sometimes accidentally create berserk bits of legalese through several iterations of balancing without noticing, I think.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-07, 03:46 PM
Don't see why it matters?

Style Mantra (Su)

At 3rd level, a Marksman gains a mantra associated with her combat style that is active as long as she maintains psionic focus. A Marksman may not use her style mantra at the same time she uses Wind Reader; she may only gain the benefit of one or the other, not both.

Feint's End
2013-09-07, 05:53 PM
Don't see why it matters?

because style mantra would be worthless if it would be a competence bonus since it wouldn't stack with favoured weapon

Xerlith
2013-09-08, 03:16 AM
RAI you can then assume it DOES stack. So those are two different boni. There you go.