PDA

View Full Version : Which build should I take

cbaidchris
2013-09-07, 07:47 AM
So I'm building a sorc who wants to focus on some sneak attack for flavor reasons but I don't mean ray sneaks I mean melee (probably twf). so the two builds I'm stuck between are expert or warrior 2/spellcaster 5/unseen seer 8/abjurant champion 5 (I could flip the two levels and make it seer 10/champion 3) the 2 generic class levels in expert or warrior would be taken overtime to pick up the sneak attack feats
or
warrior or expert 2/spellcaster 5/eldritch knight 8/abjurant champion 5
I guess the question boils down to is it more beneficial to grab the higher BAB with the knight or the increased sneak attack as well as the access to divination spells such as hunters eye with unseen seer
thanks

Xerlith
2013-09-07, 09:22 AM
Why are you taking 2 levels in an NPC class anyway? Those builds are far from what I think you want them to do.

Crake
2013-09-07, 10:05 AM
You know if you want to focus on two weapon fighting, sneak attack and casting, you should look into daggerspell mage, it sounds like a perfect fit for you.

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-07, 10:16 AM
He's not taking NPC Warrior class, but the 'Generic Warrior'. Its a different class entirely.

These classes aren't supposed to be combined with normal classes, and are generally considered weaker than well built options that only use normal classes.

Xerlith
2013-09-07, 11:02 AM
Ah. Well. I get it now.
You may then take a look at the Beguiler class. As for the warrior part you may want to pick up a Swordsage, Shadow Hand + Tiger Claw oriented for the sneaky feel.
Alternatively, take a look at the Daggerspell Mage class.
If you want to be gishing in melee, do take all 5 levels of Abjurant champion.

cbaidchris
2013-09-07, 09:47 PM
Ah. Well. I get it now.
You may then take a look at the Beguiler class. As for the warrior part you may want to pick up a Swordsage, Shadow Hand + Tiger Claw oriented for the sneaky feel.
Alternatively, take a look at the Daggerspell Mage class.
If you want to be gishing in melee, do take all 5 levels of Abjurant champion.

ok so the abjurant champion 5 is locked in but would i be more benefited from the knight or the sneak attack of the seer?

Xerlith
2013-09-08, 05:59 AM
The answer is - none. You may want to take 3 or four levels of Unseen Seer, that is.
A standard question - is homebrew allowed?
EDIT: Nevermind, Biffoniacus came up with a much better idea.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-08, 06:56 AM
It looks like you're planning to use the generic classes in UA, but keep in mind those are not supposed to even be allowed unless the entire game is using nothing but those for base classes:

If you use these generic classes, you shouldn’t also use the
character classes in the Player’s Handbook (or the variants of those
classes presented in this book).

I'd suggest going Spellthief 1/ Psion or Ardent 4/ Psychic Assassin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 6/ Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 9. Use Practiced Manifester to qualify, and get Mind Cripple from Psychic Assassin. If you don't want to be evil see if you can remove the death attack class feature in exchange for waiving the alignment and special prerequisites. I'd use Whisper Gnome with Extra Silence and Silencing Strike.

You can get a +16 BAB with Psion if using fractional BAB, it only gets 8th level powers, though from a considerably better power list. For your Psion discipline I'd go with Nomad or Seer or Egoist. If you use Ardent be sure to use Substitute Powers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a), you'll be able to get 9th level powers and +16 BAB without fractional. Get a psicrystal and keep Share Pain active on it so you take half damage from all sources, its hardness 8 reduces every instance of damage it takes from share pain regardless of the original attack's type. Keep it in a compartment on your person so opponents will never have line of sight/effect to it and cannot target it directly or hit it with area effects. Give the psicrystal a Healing Belt and it can use it to heal you during combat. Also get the power Vigor, which you can share with the psicrystal just like any other buff.

The Spellthief level allows you to freely use wands of any Wizard spells from the schools that class gets access to, namely a Wand of Wraithstrike in a wand chamber of a weapon. With Mind Cripple you'll deal 2 Int damage per sneak attack, and with TWF you can easily disable an opponent in a single full attack regardless of their hp or how little damage you deal.