PDA

View Full Version : Killer Mermanglerfish (3.5e, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2013-09-07, 09:59 AM
This creature was inspired by this image (http://31.media.tumblr.com/0e3a10e7d1d3ef091842775b5a776e09/tumblr_mpeislryq51qesseao1_500.jpg).

Lorphí
Large Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 11d8+44 (93 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: Swim 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 natural, +2 Dexterity, -1 size, +2 leather armor), touch 11, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+18
Attack: Bite +14 melee (2d6+3)
Full Attack: Medium Trident +14/+9 melee (1d8+3), and Bite +14 melee (2d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Supreme Grapple
Special Qualities: Blindsense 60 ft., Darkvision 60 ft., Snare, Spell Resistance 20
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +9, Will +8
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +16, Disguise +19, Spot +15
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Disguise)
Environment: Temperate Aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement: 12-22 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -----

In the distance, a mermaid seems to be swimming playfully along the edge of a trench. She appears a bit different than others of her kind; her scales seem to go up to just above her chest. She motions for you to come join her.

Lorphí are monstrous creatures who lure other aquatic races to their doom. At a distance, they appear to be mundane (if not oddly scaly) mermaids, though looks are often deceiving. As one gets closer, they will find that the mermaid upper half is a disguise for a horrific lower half. The torso is actually the true face of the Lorphí, which vaguely resembles an anglerfish in both appearance and behavior. Below the horrifically monstrous torso is a long, oarfish-like tail.

Lorphí tend to live along trenches, where they can hide their monstrous visage and just leave their mermaid upper half visible. Sometimes, on dark nights when the moon isn’t full, they will rise to the top of the ocean to play the same trick. There, they will try to lure in unsuspecting victims to be ripped apart and consumed. Due to their method of hunting, Lorphí are solitary creatures, only meeting with others of their kind when mating or during special religious holidays. Lorphí are most likely to worship Sekolah.

Lorphí understand both Common and Aquan, and may speak through their snare.

Combat
Lorphí prefer to ambush their prey, luring them in with the sight of a lone humanoid woman. Once their prey enters range, they savagely attack and grapple the strongest looking opponent, fending off the rest using their snares while they try to strip the flesh off of their victims’ bones.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Lorphí must hit an opponent at least one size smaller than itself with its Bite attack. It can then start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes hold and may deal Bite damage to the creature each round the hold is maintained.

Snare (Ex): The upper half of a Lorphí looks like a mermaid or other aquatic humanoid. By closing their eyes, and hiding their lower bodies, Lorphí gain a +10 bonus to their Disguise checks to pretend to be a mermaid (this is not included in the statblock). In addition, the snare is capable of performing tasks a humanoid would, like performing skill checks or attacking. When attacking, the snare must use medium-sized weapons to avoid penalty, and only has a reach of 5 ft. If struck with a vorpal weapon, Lorphí are instead treated as if struck by a normal critical hit, and lose their mermaid head. This head regenerates over the course of 2d6 days.

Supreme Grapple (Ex): When grappling an opponent, a Lorphí automatically deals Bite damage each round. In addition, the snare can continue to fight normally. The Lorphí cannot move, but still keeps its Dexterity bonus to its Armor Class and may use its snare to attack creatures not involved in the grapple or cast spells without the limitations usually present in grapples. Should a Lorphí ever lose its snare, it loses this ability until the snare regenerates entirely.

Debihuman
2013-09-07, 10:37 AM
Very cool . Picture helps a lot.

Debby

Palanan
2013-09-07, 10:51 AM
Umm, wow. That image gives new meaning to the term "headlights."

:smalleek:

...That's actually a really cool idea, though. If I was still running my seafaring campaign, I'd definitely be using one of these.

One thing I'm not clear on, however, is what the Lorphí looks like below the, um, waist...which I suppose is below the head per se. From the image, it seems that it should be something long and sinuous, like an oarfish or one of the longer-tailed anglerfish; but since you describe it as a monstrous humanoid, I'm a little vague on whether it has legs, fins, arms, tentacles or something else altogether.

LOTRfan
2013-09-07, 11:22 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should really make that more clear. It has fins, akin to a mermaid but much longer and eel-like. I'll try to clarify that a bit when I edit it shortly.

EDIT: Actually, yes, an oarfish tail looks exactly the way I'm picturing it.

I'm glad you find it interesting. :smallsmile:

inuyasha
2013-09-07, 12:58 PM
the title made me think of a dethklok song that i probably shouldnt link to due to nsfwness