PDA

View Full Version : Werebear barbarian /cleric/ranger?

Invader
2013-09-07, 10:33 AM
Can a werebear use crusader maneuvers while in bear form?

Deox
2013-09-07, 10:36 AM
Yes, assuming you can move, as that is the only requirement.

Invader
2013-09-07, 10:38 AM
Yes, assuming you can move, as that is the only requirement.

I would assume your claws would count as weapons for any weapon specific maneuvers?

Yogibear41
2013-09-07, 04:08 PM
Yes, Also being a spokesman for Werebears everywhere I approve this thread. :smallsmile:

Invader
2013-09-07, 05:11 PM
Excellent! I can use your advice.

My DM has allowed to play a werebear with a, +3 LA and 0 racial hit die. I get the forms, size, reach, improved grab, +12 str, +2 Dex, and +6, and skills (but not points). Basically I get most stuff not associated with racial hit die increases. I now have 9 class levels to pay with but while he said I could use ToB I know he doesn't really like it and the rest of our group is fairly unoptimized core classes.

How would you fill those 9 levels? I'm half tempted to go straight mundane and just max out my attacks and go bear bearian but my other half says go cleric so I'm not screwed the first time I fight something that has flight.

Invader
2013-09-07, 05:17 PM
Or as a 3rd option a ranger that focuses on ranged attacks where I can uti lize my str bonus and also improving my natural attacks so I can do both in hybrid form.

Immabozo
2013-09-07, 05:45 PM
go warshper for 5' longer reach, including bite attack, +4 str, +4 con, fast healing and a concentration check to heal 10, immunity to crits and grow your natural weapons 1 size category, or grow natural weapons that are unnatural to the form (wings are natural weapons, dragons attack with them all the time!!)

Also, Barbarian --> bear warrior would 1, be so damn flavorful I might piss myself and two, if you go spirit lion totem barbarian and whirling frenzy ACF, you get so many bonuses its stupid. (and you are losing the same thing multiple times in ways that stack for more bonuses

Fist of the Forest would again, be flavorful, add onto the rage ridiculousness AND con to AC.

Urpriest
2013-09-07, 05:47 PM
I'll echo Barbarian. There are ways to deal with flying foes: get a flying mount or a flight-giving magic item.

Invader
2013-09-07, 06:00 PM
I glanced at bear Warrior but it didn't seem to add anything that I want getting from werebear. Did I miss something somewhere?

Urpriest
2013-09-07, 06:09 PM
I glanced at bear Warrior but it didn't seem to add anything that I want getting from werebear. Did I miss something somewhere?

They stack, ostensibly at least.

Invader
2013-09-07, 06:19 PM
They stack, ostensibly at least.

But stacks with what? I already have as good or better stats as a brown bear when I'm in werebear form so I'm not seeing how having the option to turn into another bear is any good?

Yogibear41
2013-09-07, 06:21 PM
I generally picture werebears as using only natural attacks in hybrid form, as well as wearing no armor, or even other equipment. Under these circumstances things like monk, or the druid acf that gives you wis to AC while wearing no armor are good, as well as Fist of the Forest and vow of poverty, also Warshaper as previously mentioned. Could toss on a druidic avenger variant to get yourself rage as a barbarian as well.

Maybe something like Druid6/Fist1/Warshaper2 ?

If your human

1st: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Flaw1: Great Fortitude
3rd Improved Unarmed Strike
6th Power Attack

Fill in the free exalted feats as you want but I recommend nymphs kiss at 1st level. Swift and Deadly hunter ACF also gives you favored enemies so Nemesis is also probably one of your better exalted feat choices.

Not really that OP but you get 3rd level spells, con and wis to AC, as well as AC bonus from VOP.

Alternatively you could go monk instead of druid save yourself a feat, follow a similar class progression pre prestige(maybe toss in a few levels of barbarian/fighter instead) finish out those two prestige classes then go into forsaker(gasp!) yeah I know its generally considered horrible but with VOP and werebear stats you can end up with around +25 to strength and +20 to Con which also translates over to AC with fist of the forest.

Ofcourse for this to work the SU ability to shapechange would have to be considered non-magical.

Fluff wise theme yourself as a guardian of nature protecting the world from the devestation caused by magic in the wrong hands, aka mortal hands.

Urpriest
2013-09-07, 06:26 PM
But stacks with what? I already have as good or better stats as a brown bear when I'm in werebear form so I'm not seeing how having the option to turn into another bear is any good?

You misunderstand. Bear Warrior doesn't replace your stats, it adds to them.

Yogibear41
2013-09-07, 06:27 PM
Also if you are getting rid of the racial hit die for free, try to slip in dire werebear instead lol.

Invader
2013-09-07, 06:46 PM
You misunderstand. Bear Warrior doesn't replace your stats, it adds to them.

Ahh that does change things but i think he 'm leanin was being pretty generous so I don't want to push the bonuses i get from being a bear lol.

I'm leaning towards the straight classed ranged attack/natural attack ranger. I'm trying to work within the bounds of core classes although feats from everywhere are ok to compromise with my DM. Any suggested builds for getting the most out a composite long bow and natural attacks with 9 levels of ranger? I'm also pretty keen on giving up my animal companion for another ACF if there is something worthwhile.

Invader
2013-09-07, 07:10 PM
Distracting attack seems like an obvious choice for starters.

Urpriest
2013-09-07, 07:19 PM
There's a Ranger ACF that gives Multiattack in Champions of Valor I think. Fangshield Ranger. You trade in your combat style for it. Eventually I think you get Improved Natural Attack and analogous things.

Invader
2013-09-07, 08:14 PM
There's a Ranger ACF that gives Multiattack in Champions of Valor I think. Fangshield Ranger. You trade in your combat style for it. Eventually I think you get Improved Natural Attack and analogous things.

Yeah I did see that one, nothing that looks that appetizing over ranged combat style though.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-07, 08:16 PM
Hey guys, look! It's a bearbarian thread!

gooddragon1
2013-09-07, 08:17 PM
Just need to go into hybrid form and 2 hand a shovel for a weapon...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Smokey3.jpg/220px-Smokey3.jpg

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-07, 08:18 PM
Just need to go into hybrid form and 2 hand a shovel for a weapon...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ae/Smokey3.jpg/220px-Smokey3.jpg

I can't believe it... a new way to add more bear! Cleric of Smokey!

Hm... you could call your morningstar a trenching shovel.

Invader
2013-09-07, 08:25 PM
I generally picture werebears as using only natural attacks in hybrid form, as well as wearing no armor, or even other equipment. Under these circumstances things like monk, or the druid acf that gives you wis to AC while wearing no armor are good, as well as Fist of the Forest and vow of poverty, also Warshaper as previously mentioned. Could toss on a druidic avenger variant to get yourself rage as a barbarian as well.

Maybe something like Druid6/Fist1/Warshaper2 ?

If your human

1st: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Flaw1: Great Fortitude
3rd Improved Unarmed Strike
6th Power Attack

Fill in the free exalted feats as you want but I recommend nymphs kiss at 1st level. Swift and Deadly hunter ACF also gives you favored enemies so Nemesis is also probably one of your better exalted feat choices.

Not really that OP but you get 3rd level spells, con and wis to AC, as well as AC bonus from VOP.

Alternatively you could go monk instead of druid save yourself a feat, follow a similar class progression pre prestige(maybe toss in a few levels of barbarian/fighter instead) finish out those two prestige classes then go into forsaker(gasp!) yeah I know its generally considered horrible but with VOP and werebear stats you can end up with around +25 to strength and +20 to Con which also translates over to AC with fist of the forest.

Ofcourse for this to work the SU ability to shapechange would have to be considered non-magical.

Fluff wise theme yourself as a guardian of nature protecting the world from the devestation caused by magic in the wrong hands, aka mortal hands.

I actually like all 5 levels of Warshaper, perhaps ranger 4/warshaper 5?

Immabozo
2013-09-08, 04:10 AM
Adding bear warrior is a class feature that adds onto barbarian and enhances bearbarian flavor. Its not like its free.

But I agree, warshaper is a very good call.

Maybe a few levels of Druid so you can be a bear, shifting into a bear, riding a bear while summoning bears? Maybe occular ray so summoning your bears can be a ray spell - SHOOTING BEARS OUT OF YOUR EYES!!!