PDA

View Full Version : Legal modifications to a kappa shell?

CyberThread
2013-09-07, 12:36 PM
So OA has a shield called a kappa shell, that is really not part of the usual wood or metal creations.

Besides the normal shield magical stuff you can do on every item labeled SHIELD.

but as this is an item salvaged from a creature rather then something created, what alterations to it, do you think can be legally done, and things you can't do (like make it out of mithral or the like)

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-07, 02:45 PM
So OA has a shield called a kappa shell, that is really not part of the usual wood or metal creations.

Besides the normal shield magical stuff you can do on every item labeled SHIELD.

but as this is an item salvaged from a creature rather then something created, what alterations to it, do you think can be legally done, and things you can't do (like make it out of mithral or the like)

Looking at OA I see that Kappa shells function like tower shields. (remember that 3.0 had different rules for tower shields). Its already a special material so anything of that variety is out the window.
For 3.5 I'd just have it function as a tower shield with the ability to strap it to your back and crawl to the enemy with cover as an option.

CyberThread
2013-09-07, 02:56 PM
That isn't what I meant, was aiming more for what modifications can you do to it, not how it works rule wise.

Platymus Pus
2013-09-07, 03:02 PM
That isn't what I meant, was aiming more for what modifications can you do to it, not how it works rule wise.

Enchantments and crystals come to mind.
You could also make it adamantium somehow maybe?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070209a

CyberThread
2013-09-07, 03:10 PM
What put spikes on it , make a grappler build, and do a koopa trooper reverse belly flop on someone?

then make a DC 15 check to see if I can set myself upright, after my spikes impale them to the ground?

Platymus Pus
2013-09-07, 03:16 PM
What put spikes on it , make a grappler build, and do a koopa trooper reverse belly flop on someone?

then make a DC 15 check to see if I can set myself upright, after my spikes impale them to the ground?

I'm pretty sure you can put spikes on a lot of things.
I don't know what you are really asking soooo, here's a picture of BOWSER who can do just what you suggest.
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/17172/1175158-brawlwhirlingfortress.jpg

CyberThread
2013-09-07, 03:21 PM
was joking, but on a serious note, I am looking into more dealing on how to make it more then just a non masterwork shield.

Chronos
2013-09-07, 04:59 PM
You should be able to get a masterwork one. You start by carefully selecting just the right koopakappa to work with, and then there's probably something you need to do to cure or tan it or whatever, and you use choice materials and take extra care in the process, and use extra-soft leather in an ergonomic design for the straps, and so on.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-07, 05:07 PM
You should be able to get a masterwork one. You start by carefully selecting just the right koopakappa to work with, and then there's probably something you need to do to cure or tan it or whatever, and you use choice materials and take extra care in the process, and use extra-soft leather in an ergonomic design for the straps, and so on.

I suppose that works, after all you can have masterwork wood, or masterwork dragonhide armor. Why not masterwork kappa shells.