PDA

View Full Version : Sunsword Enhancment

Dming For Noobs
2013-09-07, 03:19 PM
So, I have been mulling over the idea of a twf build utilizing bastard swords. The basic idea was to have a normal bastard sword in one hand, and a sunsword (for those who do no know, it is a bastard sword from ECR that weighs as much as a short sword)in the other. I have been called into anohter game, and it is level 3. To make the build work, i need to have a sword like that. So i was thinking it might be a weapon enchantment. Would that be a +1? Just getting some prelimnary feedback before talking to my DM.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-07, 03:51 PM
The sun blade has the equivalent powers of a +4 weapon (+2 enhancement bonus and 'evil bane'), plus double damage against negative energy creatures and undead, command-word Daylight, and the counts-as-a-short-sword thing, yet only costs as much as a +5 weapon.

I'd say making the counts-as-a-short-sword thing a +1 cost enhancement sounds fine.

Arbitrarity
2013-09-07, 03:58 PM
It does seem to be +1 equivalent (or 14000 gold, but +1 equivalent seems more likely) which is still a bit out of a 3rd level character's wealth (augh 8300 gold) See if you can negotiate some temporary penalties to mitigate its "effective cost" (-2 damage, reduced to -1 at 4, -0 at 5 and up seems reasonable to me), maybe call it an heirloom.

It's not like twf with bastard swords is especially cheesy.

Dming For Noobs
2013-09-07, 04:18 PM
thanks all

i like the idea of penaltys, maybe make it unable to strike those who have not wronged you, or some fluff like that...

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-07, 05:03 PM
thanks all

i like the idea of penaltys, maybe make it unable to strike those who have not wronged you, or some fluff like that...

If you're Good-aligned, that's... not much of a penalty.

Considering Sun Blades are holy weapons, I'm assuming you're Good.

Dming For Noobs
2013-09-07, 05:05 PM
yeah, im good. debating whether to be a paladin or fighter. That will probably be in addition to a damage penalty.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-07, 05:07 PM
The original Sunsword from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft costs 3000gp and is a +1 bastard sword that can be wielded as a short sword.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-07, 05:13 PM
yeah, im good. debating whether to be a paladin or fighter. That will probably be in addition to a damage penalty.

You're obviously not playing a high-optimisation game, but TWF works best if you have some form of "extra damage per hit" ability.

I'd suggest something along the lines of a Paladin/Bard with Dragonfire Inspiration (which is from Dragon Magic). Unless you really cheese your Inspire Courage bonus, it's not too overpowered for a low-op game.

Also from what sleepyphoenixx says, you might even be able to convince your DM to let you have it for 1,000 gp, without the +1 enhancement bonus, but that might be pushing things a bit.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-09-07, 05:15 PM
It's not like you can't use a short sword for a level or two until you can afford a Sunsword.

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-07, 05:16 PM
It's not like you can't use a short sword for a level or two until you can afford a Sunsword.

There's a point.

Why do you need a bastard sword in one hand?

Grayson01
2013-09-07, 05:21 PM
I know as a TWF you are alread feat starved but you could just take oversized TWo-Weapon Fighting and use a normal Bastared Sword.