PDA

View Full Version : What to do with non-teamplaying PC's

Ansem
2013-09-07, 04:53 PM
Well, we have this guy in our group and it's now gotten rather obvious.
He always used the benefit of the doubt, but I'm now getting rather annoyed by it that every character he plays is a selfish bastard not trying to put effort into the teamplay at all.

This adds to not sharing anything concerning loot or equipment. (Keeping found cash and selling an item for not even half of what you could get or an item our Cleric could damn well use!)
Making dips on everything and trying to get atleast his share if not more (which if I don't stop him goes back to the former)
****ing around during actions... trying to dance on balls and hugging people in combat, wasting cash on parties and doing everything to interrupt the flow.
80% of the pointless discussions comes from him arguing with the DM on why an underground weaponsdealer doesn't like openly discussing his illegal practises with strangers for example, he clearly doesn't WANT to understand context.

Now I'm easily annoyed about this and the rest isn't too annoyed that we can't continue play anymore, but I'd really want some advice on how to deal with this as a player. The GM says he'll just punish him ingame for his actions, but I'd rather have something more clear and definitive from our PC group. Since any penalty regarding equipment or cash will be sucked from our wallets.....

Now I don't want to try and kill his PC (yet!) especially since we just started a new campaign and I might not be powerful enough yet for a guaranteed success (Artificer v Scout). And he's going to lose the benefit of my cheap access to good shizzle concerning items and equipment, since well my PC clearly thinks he's an ass and not worth the investment.

Anything is welcome though, even though it's not a huge problem or gamebreaking, from the examples you can see and understand my problem with this person.
Thanks in advance.

Rhynn
2013-09-07, 04:56 PM
Talk with your group and kick him out. "Sorry, you sap away everyone else's enjoyment and are toxic to the game. Bye."

Alternatively, "You are the weakest link."

Platymus Pus
2013-09-07, 05:18 PM
Set him up for a fall, let him die.

navar100
2013-09-07, 05:41 PM
It's a metagame problem, so handle it metagame. Presuming everyone else feels the same way, you all tell the player to stop being a donkey cavity. Play with the party, not against. If he absolutely refuses, don't let him play with you anymore.

"I'm just roleplaying my character" or "That's just what my character would do" or anything along those lines is not an excuse. If he pouts those responses, then counter: "Fine. We are roleplaying our characters. Our characters hate your character and no longer want him to adventure with us. Good bye."

Sidmen
2013-09-07, 05:43 PM
Ok, so from reading all your post I know a few things are off the table.

Your party doesn't mind enough to take any extreme measures.

Your DM doesn't want to interfere out of game with the person himself.

You are the one its primarily aggravating.

I suggest just asking your DM to compensate you through obvious means for anything that the Jerk PC steals and then let him syphon away the Jerk's money in game (like he already is). I.E. You get a packet containing magic dust from an anonymous supporter for use in replacing the "stolen" gear.

InQbait
2013-09-07, 05:48 PM
{Scrubbed}

Ansem
2013-09-08, 05:08 PM
I've talked to it with my DM but he doesn't know what to do either really.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-08, 05:17 PM
I've talked to it with my DM but he doesn't know what to do either really.
Probably 99% of these disruptive-player problems have the same solution. Just three easy steps:

Talk to the player out of game, either alone or in a group. (Depending on how he'll take things). Tell him, with an appropriate level of politeness, that he's getting on people's nerves. Ask him to please be less of a tool in-game.
If he doesn't listen, and he's bothering the entire group, kick him. Say "sorry, dude, you're making it less fun for everyone. You're not welcome back here until you clean up your act."
If you're the only one bothered, and you're that bothered, find a new group.

Everything else, every extenuating circumstance or excuse, is irrelevant. "He owns the books," "he's our friend out-of-game," "we meet at his place..." all of those are difficulties that can be solved, usually much more easily than trying to work around an active disruptive player.

_Zoot_
2013-09-08, 09:59 PM
I find the first thing to do is to talk to the player, however, everyone says that so I'll be a little more detailed:

Tell them that the others feel that their character is not helping the party, and that this is a problem. Remind him that the other characters kill things and loot their bodies for a living. As such there is some insentive for his character to be a useful part of the group. Even in instances where they would not murder the annoying character, they wouldn't let him hang round and take their loot while he does nothing to earn it, would they?

If that doesn't prompt them to rethink how their character acts with the party then it sounds like it is time for them to move on, because they clearly understand that they are not doing what the party wants them to, but all the same will not correct it.

Gamgee
2013-09-08, 10:22 PM
Probably 99% of these disruptive-player problems have the same solution. Just three easy steps:

Talk to the player out of game, either alone or in a group. (Depending on how he'll take things). Tell him, with an appropriate level of politeness, that he's getting on people's nerves. Ask him to please be less of a tool in-game.
If he doesn't listen, and he's bothering the entire group, kick him. Say "sorry, dude, you're making it less fun for everyone. You're not welcome back here until you clean up your act."
If you're the only one bothered, and you're that bothered, find a new group.

Everything else, every extenuating circumstance or excuse, is irrelevant. "He owns the books," "he's our friend out-of-game," "we meet at his place..." all of those are difficulties that can be solved, usually much more easily than trying to work around an active disruptive player.
Yes this is a wise post.