PDA

View Full Version : The Drow War: The Gathering Storm

Tsumeken
2013-09-07, 05:35 PM
Book I
The Gathering Storm

At first, it feels as if you must be dreaming. The sense of dislocation, the giddiness, the feeling of flying rapidly through space, all add to the unreality. Where are you? What were you doing a moment ago? These thoughts arise in your mind, as if you were half-awake, on the borderlands of consciousness.

Perhaps you have been knocked senseless, or poisoned with some hallucinogenic drug. One thing is certain; you are in a strange place and you do not remember how you came here. What you can see before you is as clouded and vague as the contents of your mind. There seems to be nothing but mist, swirling in eddies around you, with a suggestion of huge shapes briefly glimpsed through it. The mist is cold on your face and with a start you realize that this is no dream. You are here, physically here in your body, fully dressed and carrying your equipment. There is wet grass beneath your feet. You feel no pain, so it stands to reason that you were not knocked out and dragged here. How, then, did you come to be here?

Alone in the mist, you wonder why you do not feel more afraid. There is a presence here, something old and comforting, like a childhood memory. The mist begins to clear. In the faint light of a new day, you see the huge forms that you glimpsed before. They are megaliths – standing stones that tower over you, set into the form of a circle. This place is achingly familiar to you, yet you have never been here before.

Through the thinning mists, you see that you are not alone. There are others here, and by the look of them, they are as surprised to find themselves here as you are.

(the area is a circle of large standing stones much like a Stonehenge. The mists seem to circle the stones but not enter. the area is a 30 ft diameter circle)

Waxillium Lande
2013-09-07, 10:47 PM
A tall man in a long blue and black coat slowly and mournfully strums a lute, crooning a soft, wordless melody as he strides towards the center of the circle. Fingers darting back and forth over the strings of the instrument, he turns in a circle, looking around and straining his memory, trying to remember why he remembers these stones. Idly, still plucking at his strings, he remarks to nobody in particular,
"It is strange, in truth I feel at home here- But it does seem I should be feeling fright."

BananaPhone
2013-09-08, 12:11 AM
Tor En

A soft, pained groan escaped Tor's lips as she slowly sat up, rubbing the dull ache in her head.

"What the heck did I smoke last night?" she uttered regrettably, before she perused her surroundings with half a squinted eye.

Standing up clumsily, blinking away the groggy sensation in her eyes, Tor rubbed the short-hair on the back of her head before stretching herselef out to bring some vitality back to her limbs. She was dressed in fairly casual clothes, leggings, boots and a white top - she might even have looked like an expert of some sort.

Moving herself closer into the circle of stones, she spotted a fellow standing there, lute in hand and stringing away some cords.

"Hail, stranger," she said in approach, her voice firm and confident.

"I am Tor En of Jehannum - where in the realms are we?"

sunwukong
2013-09-08, 03:19 AM
Urra pulls herself up, then slowly looks around and takes in her surroundings. Grass, mist...what are these giant rocks? Still a bit dazed, she stares at the menhirs a little longer than she usually would.

Through the mist, she hears the sound of voices, interrupting her reverie. She approaches the voices cautiously, and catches only the last question spoken. I have no idea, she answers, stepping into view. You don't know how you got here either?

She almost forgets to introduce herself, then suddenly realizes that she cannot exactly avoid these strangers. Oh, and I'm Urra Barker. Urra doesn't mention that she grew up in the Empire of Visk, having just heard the woman with the strange haircut say that she came from Jahannum, one of the countries Visk was often at war at. Besides, Urra has no loyalty to the Empire anyways, so why bother bringing it up at all?

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-08, 12:05 PM
Kyre awoke to the sensation of a cold, wet nose against the side of her face. Opening her eyes, she found herself staring at her animal companion, Varka, an almost concerned expression in the wolf's eyes. "It's all right; I'm awake," she said, standing up slowly and gazing at her surroundings taking in the standing stones, the swirling mists, and the other humanoid figures.

"Where... where am I?" she asked, resting a hand lightly on the back of Varka's neck. "How did I get here, and who are these other people? What magic is this?

Clarkson
2013-09-08, 03:01 PM
Carl pulls himself up, and looks around, seeing the many people arrayed around him. Hextor, what now? After checking his belongings to ensure he had everything he stands up and walks over to the group.

Which of you did this to me?

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-08, 04:40 PM
"'Twas not I," Kyre said coolly, regarding the armored man. "In fact, I am as lost as you seem to be about how we came to be here and why. Perhaps one of these others knows more?"

BananaPhone
2013-09-08, 09:43 PM
Tor En

Crossing her arms over her chest and peering around the large stones a little further, the blondie shakes her head and flicks her lips, "No idea here. We're all the same situation: woke up here without a clue as to what nabbed us."

Waxillium Lande
2013-09-08, 10:37 PM
Bardic knowledge to see if I know what is going on: [roll0]
"This place is strange and perhaps dangerous. Should we really argue amongst ourselves?"
Zephos picks up a pebble while continuing to pluck open notes with his right hand and flings it out of the circle, hoping to ascertain what is out in the mist.

Tsumeken
2013-09-09, 06:12 PM
Bardic Knowledge
Unfortunatly at this point you have no knowledge of where you are, you remember tales fo other standing stones but these seem different then the ones your are familiar with.

While you all begin to become more aware of your surroundings you can make out the faint symbols etched into the stones, marks that some of you if not yourself bear on your person adorn them.

Out of nowhere, a voice speaks to you. It is faint but perfectly clear. As it speaks, the stones thrum with a strange vibration, as if they were amplifying the voice somehow.

‘The time of the Equinox is come. My children… I am sorry. I have done what must be done. You deserve answers. I am far… too far from you. You must learn who you are. The land is yours. The people are yours.’

The speaker seems to be under great strain, as if speaking to
you was exhausting her.

‘This place is sacred to you. Sacred to the stars that you are. There are other places like this. From the time when people
remembered. Heed me now. If any of you should fall, then bear him to the stones, and the soul will be able to enter the flesh… once again. But make haste, for flesh that is spoiled can never be made whole.’

There is silence again and you wonder if that is all. Then the voice speaks once more, faint as a dying echo:

‘Know this. There is a force against you. Already it gathers, already it senses your return. Seek the sword of Starkweather John… it lies near, waiting to be claimed… when that is found, you may begin to understand, to remember.’

As the voice speaks the fog and mists begin to part. Stars light the sky as you see it is nightfall. The sounds of waves lap at the shore of the small isle you stand upon. a single bridge of stone to the south leads off of the quarter-mile wide isle, to what would appear to be a much larger continent. Thankfully the place you have arrived at seems to have not been some random ruin as a road greets you upon the other side of the bridge with a signpost pointing towards the nearest location of civilization.

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-09, 06:24 PM
"The stars that we are?" Kyre wondered, stroking Varka's head; the wolf was agitated, but had calmed somewhat now that the voice has ceased speaking. "I don't understand. And what is this force that gathers against us? But it is clear we've all been gathered here for some greater purpose." She looked around at the others. "I don't suppose any of you understand this better than I?"

OOC:

The only "Knowledge" skill Kyre has put ranks in is Nature, which seems unlikely to be helpful in this particular context.

sunwukong
2013-09-09, 08:08 PM
Urra stays silent for the time being, waiting to see if anyone else will reply to the half-elf. She tries to remember, however, if she's ever come across the name "Starkweather John" in her readings.

OOC:Knowledge (History) check: [roll0]

BananaPhone
2013-09-09, 08:20 PM
OOC:
Some knowledge rolls. I figure that there's 3 categories this stuff could fall into:

Religion roll: 1d20+6=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4211256/)

History roll: 1d20+5=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4211258/)

Local roll: 1d20+5=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4211257/)

Outside of these I've got The Planes and Arcana, so say if one of them would be more fitting.

Clarkson
2013-09-09, 08:35 PM
Carl probably knows nothing, and would find it very difficult to beat everyone elses roll, so he begins putting on his armor in silence.

Tsumeken
2013-09-10, 08:51 PM
Knowledge checks:

History: Starkweather was a powerful hero in these lands, a warrior from the nearby town of Bronce.

Religion: Starkweather was a starborn much like you all and carried a longsword that was said to be blessed.

Local: Starkweather John died over a century ago during the last gathering of starborn and is buried in his hometown.

The darkness around you seems deeper past the causeway, if for a moment the area seems to get darker as if a large creature had passed overhead and you had been in it's shadow.

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-10, 09:06 PM
"What was that?" Kyre wondered, peering up at the sky to see if her gaze could penetrate the darkness and perceive what had passed above them.

Spot: [roll0]

BananaPhone
2013-09-10, 09:14 PM
Tor En

"Starwalker John...that fable?" Tor asked up at no one in particularly, both confused and intrigued by the offers this ethereal voice was projecting.

Peering around, the blonde-hiared woman darted her eyes to and fro through the mist, curious as to where this blade would be hidden. Feeling the shadow loom over them all from above, she moved and flattened herself against a rock.

First she looked up. Then, if she was satisfied that there were no immediate danger, she'll start to set off down the newly exposed bridge, hoping to find some answers at the end of it.

ooc:
Spot check: [roll0]

See, forum roller, this is why you and I can't be friends. I give you a chance and you spit it back in my face. I'm using invisiblecastle.com exclusively from now on.

Waxillium Lande
2013-09-10, 10:03 PM
Zephos sighs, slowly standing as he swings his lute onto his back, where it hangs by a leather strap. With a metallic scrape, he draws a beat-up rapier and wraps a whip around his left arm.
"Here we go again... I suppose we should do introductions, no? I am Zephos Kotalos, singer, stringer, and duelist."

Tsumeken
2013-09-10, 10:55 PM
[Kyre's] Spot
Whatever it was flew fast over you and you barely catch the end sight of a tail for a large scaled beast.

It seems the flyby was only that, moments of silence pass and it is safe to move.

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-10, 10:59 PM
Kyre shuddered as she barely made out the tail-end of some immense scaled beast, and the wolf beside her growled. Shaking herself, she turned to her companion who had spoken- the one who said his name was Zephos. "Well met," she said. "I'm Kyre, a druid of no family name."

BananaPhone
2013-09-11, 12:06 AM
Tor En

Tor En turned her head slightly and listened over her shoulder. So now he spoke up and introduced himself. Psh.

Standing alone on the bridge, looking forward across the rolling green of the island well ahead, Tor waited for some others to catch up before heading on.

sunwukong
2013-09-11, 01:08 AM
Urra responds to the Jahannumite woman, Tor En, with a curt correction:"Starkweather, of Bronce, I believe. I came across his name in a history book, no fable."

Urra jerks her head upwards as the shadow passes overhead. When it fails to return, she turns her attention to the strangers she has been surrounded by.

Although she has already introduced herself to Tor En and the skinny man named Zephos, she states her name again for the benefit of the half-elf Kyre and the man dressed in chainmail. "Urra Barker."

With a last slightly-puzzled look at the circle of stones that feels so oddly like home, Urra follows Tor En down the causeway. Assuming the others do as well, Urra turns to the half-elf Kyre and asks, "Is that a wolf you've got tagging along at your heels? I didn't know the beasts could be tamed."

Spot check (for what little it's worth):[roll0]

Tsumeken, if I've heard of the town of Bronce, do I know what the name of "these lands" are?

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-11, 09:56 AM
Kyre smiled. "Yes, this is a wolf. His name is Varka, but I think "tamed" is too strong a word. Druids can form bonds with animals; Varka is my companion, not my pet."

sunwukong
2013-09-11, 01:35 PM
"Oh, I see," says Urra, though in fact she knows little of the druidic faith. "That voice seemed to want the five of us to stick together. I guess that's why it brought us here, however that happened. If that's so, I'd rather see a wolf that's your...friend, rather than one that's trying to eat us."

Tsumeken
2013-09-11, 03:44 PM
@Sun
Since your orc seems very well versed in many areas you can assume she does. It is spoken in the same books as Starkweather that he he was from a far off continent called Chillhame, more exactly you are on the north-east most part of the continent.

The country is hilly and barren, with crumbling flint walls dividing up fields where starved-looking sheep graze. From the shore, you can clearly see the small town of Bronce along the coast to the west. Among the hills to the south, there are some rotten-looking wooden structures, the above-ground remains of an old mining complex. Alone on a hill to the east is a windmill, with its sails motionless in the still air; it is impossible to tell if it is still in use. Lights in the town signal that it is still alive and awake even at this time.

Clarkson
2013-09-11, 06:27 PM
Carl finishes putting his armor on, before saying Carl Gustaf is my name. I've trained in the ways of war under the guidance of the holy warriors of Hextor for many years now, and have learned a thing or two about the blessings of Hextor in my time there.

Waxillium Lande
2013-09-11, 08:47 PM
Zephos gives a quiet chuckle. "The Scourge of Battle, eh? I think I dropped one of his priests a few towns back. Poor man just couldn't keep a grip on his mace."
The bard adjusts his hat and cloak, stepping towards the bridge.

sunwukong
2013-09-11, 10:20 PM
Urra crosses the bridge, then looks up at the signpost to see where they might be. "Gruumsh's Axe!" she swears under her breath. "Bronce? That town over there looks real enough, but I'm starting to feel like we're in a fable."

Urra is puzzled about the power that transported the five of them here to Starkweather John's hometown and then told them to seek out his sword, but finding no answers readily apparent, she heads towards the lights of the town to the west. Still don't know how I got here, but I might as well find a bed at an inn, she thinks to herself.

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-11, 10:47 PM
Kyre followed the others warily, Varka keeping pace at her side. She wasn't sure she trusted them, and still didn't know why she was here, but the voice and the powerful magic smacked of fate. Whatever was going to happen here, there was some power that wanted it, of that Kyre was certain.

She wished she was as certain as to the nature of that power, or of what was going to happen...

Tsumeken
2013-09-13, 01:02 PM
The town of Bronce looms before you

This little settlement has clearly seen better days. Many of the wooden buildings seem to have partly collapsed. The town square is little more than an open muddy space, cut with the ruts of wagon wheels, with a squat stone well in the middle. Off to one side is an inn, the largest building in the vicinity, whose sign proclaims it to be the Golden Nugget. Opposite the inn is an open shop with baskets of dry goods set out front. An aged woman sat by the basket is mending a net and narrows her eyes at you.

Clarkson
2013-09-13, 08:36 PM
Why do you glare at us? All we've done is enter town! Give me a good reason, or stop now. Carl says, staring back at the woman.

sunwukong
2013-09-13, 11:10 PM
Urra is about to enter the Golden Nugget, when she hears one of her new acquaintances starting a confrontation with an elderly lady. She turns around, waiting to see what might transpire next, but not interfering one way or the other. Not really my style, I'd rather find someone to fight for than pick fights with the many who don't want me around. This warrior of Hextor seems rather prideful, perhaps his God of Battle demands it of him? What strange people I've ended up with!

BananaPhone
2013-09-13, 11:42 PM
Tor En

"Easy," Tor uttered to Carl as she moved past him, heading towards the Golden Nuggets door. "No need to get rattled by an old crone." she smirked.

"Hopefully someone in here will have an idea of where on this planet we are..." she uttered as she headed inside the inn.

sunwukong
2013-09-13, 11:52 PM
Urra catches Tor's last comment, and says, "If we're truly in the town of Bronce, then we must be on Chillhame. Which is many days by ship from Jahannum, come to think of it. Let's not draw too much attention to ourselves, though. Bad enough that we're strangers, no need to show them exactly how lost we all are."

Tsumeken
2013-09-14, 06:33 AM
The old woman merely "humphs" and goes back to her business, as the group goes by, seeming to ignore Carl's outburst.

As you enter the inn, the conversation stops and all eyes turn to look at you. You now understand why the town looked so empty. It seems everyone is here. Like the other buildings, the inn looks like it is steadily falling apart. There is no sense of happiness but only a glum resignation. A few heartbeats pass, then the
drinkers resume their conversation, more quietly than before. This two-storey inn smells of fish and is usually full to the brim with villagers drowning their sorrows in penny ale. The inn’s name dates from the time when the town was booming and now seems like an ironic joke; the only golden thing in the place is the smoke-stained ceiling. The barkeep moves to remove his apron as he leaves the bar to a waitress and walks over to the group.

"Welcome to the Golden Nugget travelers, my name is Bernik Oakenbrough and I run this here establishment. That little lady behind the bar is my wife Jinnie, I hope that we can make your stay comfortable. He smiles a practiced smile of a businessman, trying to hide a nervousness behind it.

Waxillium Lande
2013-09-14, 03:36 PM
Zephos drops a few silver pieces on the table. "I really, really need a drink. And some meat."
Sighing, the bard sinks into a chair in the corner of the room, absentmindedly cleaning his lute.

sunwukong
2013-09-14, 05:00 PM
Urra pulls out a handful of silver coins and sets them on the table. "A room for the night, and a meal. And, do you know of anyone who needs any extra hands around here? Heavy lifting, or such?" Of course, she always asks this question with the hilt of her greataxe protruding over her shoulder conspicuously. The fact that she just walked in with four other armed strangers also probably gives a clue as to her line of work. This town probably doesn't have many heavy lifting jobs to go around, she thinks to herself, looking around the room of weary-looking humans.

Tsumeken
2013-09-14, 05:33 PM
Bernik waves over towards the bar signalling for food and drink for the group. "The rooms here are a bit snug, and the doors don't lock, they have a deadbolt though so as long as your in and the bolts in place it should be fine. As for work, most likely the constable or the church might have some work for you. Maybe even headsman Goodchild."

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-14, 06:26 PM
"How much would it be to get some very rare meat?" Kyre asked, regarding Bernik. "My companion is hungry as well." She gestured to the wolf who was still padding quietly along at her side.

sunwukong
2013-09-14, 09:26 PM
"Any of those people in here tonight?" asks Urra, looking about the dingy tavern doubtfully.

BananaPhone
2013-09-15, 01:16 AM
Tor En

Stepping inside, Tor waited until the others had exchanged their words with the bar-tender. The sombre and desolute environment of the tavern was rather depressing, to say the least. Peering around at the people, Tor En kept her thoughts to herself before she moved over to the barkeep.

"Pint of your best and a room for the night, please." she said with a bright smile, placing several silver pieces on the counter in front of her.

Tsumeken
2013-09-15, 03:18 AM
Almost not noting the wolf until it was pointed out the inn-keep tenses slightly , but makes no other moves. "Uhm.. I suppose we can get something." He looks over to Tor and Urra, retrieving a room for Tor before regarding the Half-orc. "The Headsman is probably busy dealing with the days happenings, it would be easier to catch him in the morning. As for the pastor he would be at the church, he spends most of his time there, something keeps him from leaving some days he says. I figure it's just a work ethic thing."

Clarkson
2013-09-15, 09:36 AM
A room for the night. Carl states, before turning to the rest of the group. So, who do we want to assist?

sunwukong
2013-09-15, 03:04 PM
Urra offers the innkeeper a brief, "Thanks," then sits down at the table where Zephos is cleaning his lute. She begins eating her supper in silence. At Carl's question, she looks up, finishes chewing her food, and says to him, "Well, I usually find work with the constable-types. Looks like you could too, by the way you're dressed. If that don't pan out, maybe go straight to the headman. Don't know if you'll get along too well with whatever priest they got here."

She lowers her voice, but addresses the whole group, "Thing is, though, I usually work by myself. Don't know where you lot plan to go next. But that voice that told us to look for the sword might not let us leave this little town, might bring us right back here like it did before. You can try to find out, of course, don't matter much to me. If there's work in this town, I'll take it, stick around 'til it's done, then move on."

Tsumeken
2013-09-15, 04:19 PM
Jerik returns to the group delivering each their food and drink as well as any room numbers they wish for. The patrons of the bar have begun speaking up again and going about their business, having satisfied their curiousities about the travelers.

Waxillium Lande
2013-09-15, 06:26 PM
"I like the constable as well. I don't know how well I'd get along with the priest- Pelor's alright, and Kord's devotees are always fun to be around, but last town I was in I ran into a priest of Hextor and a follower of St. Cuthbert working together... It didn't end well."
Zephos shoves his chair back from the table. "Well, while I'm here I might as well try to get a bit of change."
The bard drops his hat to the ground, upside-down, and begins a jaunty tune on his lute.
Perform: [roll0]

BananaPhone
2013-09-15, 11:19 PM
Tor En

The blonde sat down with a plate and pint in front of her. She hunched forward slightly, protective of her food, as she glanced at the others around her and their conversation. Frequently, her eyes would sift away to peer at the other patrons of the inn, trying to gather a feel for the atmosphere of the townsfolk and what topics of conversation they usually indulged in.

With nothing to say, she remained quiet and filled herself.

Tsumeken
2013-09-16, 05:40 AM
Zephos' preformance seems to have lifted the spirits of the townsfolk for the moment and they applaude him before returning to their conversations.
(+7 silver to Zephos in tips)

The next day...

Thge sun does not shine as a grey overcast sky hangs in the air. Sleep was peaceful enough as Jerik had promised and now the town was alive again with citizens about and around it's streets and corners.

sunwukong
2013-09-16, 07:27 PM
Urra pays for breakfast in the morning, then asks the innkeeper, "Where can I find the constable?" When she receives an answer, she goes looking for the man, regardless of whether the others she met yesterday follow her or not.

Do you want us to keep track of expenditures for meals and such? I'll do so unless you say otherwise.

Tsumeken
2013-09-16, 11:28 PM
OOC:
Nah you can just keep a invisible tab of food somewhere and assume you pay for it. unless you go nuts like a certain player I know of mine would and buy the feat fit for a king I won't be tracking your food bill.

Jerik greets the group as they come down and treats them to breakfast. "Constable Gaskal is probably over at the stockades. It pains me to think it but I'm sure my brother or one of his friends has gotten into a mess again. Usually they'd be stopping by about now."

sunwukong
2013-09-19, 08:13 PM
Urra looks about the town square for the stockades, identifies the man who seems to be in charge, and walks up to him. "Are you Constable Gaskal? My name's Urra Barker. I was wondering if you need an extra hand or two for anything around here?"

Meanwhile, she thinks to herself, A couple of years ago, it could've been me or my family in the stockades back home. And now I'm asking for work from the kind of man who puts people in 'em. Maybe this isn't the life for me after all...

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-19, 08:36 PM
Kyre purchased a small breakfast for herself and Varka, and then followed Urra to the constable. "My companion and I would be willing to help as well," she said. "And maybe finding out more about the area will lead us to the answers we want," she added in an undertone to the wolf.

BananaPhone
2013-09-20, 12:00 AM
Tor En

Getting up in the morning after a decent night sleep, Tor En now stood upon the veranda of the tavern, a pipe hanging from her lips, puffs of smoke leaving its exit while she gazed across the morning horizon.

"Bar keep!" she said over her shoulder when she felt the presence of the man scurrying past.

"Where is the historian of this town? Or its most advanced elder?"

Tsumeken
2013-09-20, 05:35 AM
Outsides at the stockade:
As you approach the stocks you see a man being freed and a guard being handed a small coin purse. "I have no idea how you keep making bail here Jim but you've got the gold so you're free to go. If I catch you horsing around again though I'm gonna do more then just sit you in town square for all to see. The man sneers at the guard ans he and two other men leave, walking past the characters on their way to the tavern.

He turns and regards Urra and Kyre, "Could always use some more bodies to help look around town for any wrongdoings. Just last week we had a taxman coming around through here from Sarhagost, now I get a letter not two days ago says he never made it back to the capital or even any towns after ours." He sighs shaking his head, "Suspecting murder was one thing I thought might be far enough form the city to avoid, but I can't think of any other options. I have my suspicions on the culprits, but no proof, I'd appreciate any help you could give in this matter."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the Tavern:
"Old Murphy would be the town elder you're looking for, knows most about this place and the people around it. If it's history or legends he's the man to see. He's probably up in the headsman's house just near town square, can't miss it, biggest house there." a group of three men push their way past Tor and enter. The men, all in dark outfits (dark colors not just black) move to sit in the corner of the bar as one waves the barkeep over. "Be right with you Jim, got to finish up any other orders coming first." The man seems annoyed but merely grumbles and begins talking among his couleuages

sunwukong
2013-09-20, 08:17 PM
"Taxman, huh? You want us to go knock on the doors of the people you're thinking did it, or go down the road and look for the taxman's body?" Urra glances at Kyre. Whatever Constable Gaskal asks them to do, she has a feeling that the two of them and the wolf will probably have the necessary skill-sets. And there's the other three as well, I wonder what they're up to? Wouldn't hurt to have backup...

VirgoBushin
2013-09-28, 03:42 PM
Trinity Langton (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/virgo2005/DnD%20RPC%20Pics/FemaleWarrior39_zpsf354497f.jpg)

Bronce ... the small but still quaint town had always been what Trinity had been able to call home for years. After having lost her parents to a mysterious disease years ago, she had been raised within the church. During her upbringing, she became an equally devoted and capable priest -- and simultaneously warrior. It was a unique gift, one that few could have to be able to handle both tasks at once. She was thus thought of, in her own manner, as a 'special case' of sorts. But overall, she'd been viewed as a respectful individual, never seen in a bad light.

Sleep was usually easy for her but it had been slightly difficult to obtain last night. Father Tobias Bronson, the main person who had raised her throughout the years, had informed her of new company and to bring them over. Trouble seldomly came to Bronce but there were the select and rare few who would attempt such things. But .. Trinity had vowed to herself not to immediately judge, allow for herself to see that these people truly were just visiting and not trying to impose any ill will upon her hometown.

With the promise echoing in her mind, she managed to drift off into a peaceful slumber.

By the time morning came, Trinity felt alert and ready to go about completing the task her mentor had asked of her. With Bronce being one of those small towns that everyone knew others from via faces and names, she figured it couldn't be that difficult to be able to locate individuals whom may seem like they weren't from here .... right.

.. Easy .. She mused, finding them soon enough near the Constable. She didn't get all the details, but managed to pick up on the small phrase 'taxman's body', which made her inwardly frown. She doubted they were the culprits; it'd be silly for a guilty party to ask for where evidence against them would be. Still, the fact remained -- something amiss had appeared to go on and she wanted to know what.

Well .... Father never did give me a deadline so ... that can wait. Nodding her head to herself, she bowed her head to the newcomers and Gaskal, clearing her throat gently. "Excuse me but may I better be informed on what exactly they speak of regarding the taxman's body?"

More proper introductions could be done later. Right now, Trinity needed answers and details first off. All the while, she let her eyes glance over occasionally to the other women, noting another to be a human and the other ... not so much. Some ... sort of hybrid? It was definitely a foreign sight to her, something she wasn't used to seeing before.

sunwukong
2013-09-28, 09:03 PM
As a silvery-haired woman approaches the Constable and asks about the dead taxman, Urra thinks to herself, Great, this always happens when I just about got a contract secured...some local comes out of nowhere and wants to play the hero. What were they doing before I got here, huh? Well, I guess we can probably split the money...if she was good enough to solve the murder on her own, she woulda done so already.

BananaPhone
2013-09-28, 09:50 PM
Tor En

"Old Murphy, huh?" Tor En repeated, finding a little amusement in the quaint description this man had assimilated into his name.

"Thanks for your trouble." she smiled, giving the new-comers a once over with her eyes as she headed off.

Peering around the town the blonde-haired woman took in details that she couldn't see during the night - faces, stores, alley's. Her trip was rather short, however, given the minute size of the town, and before she knew it she was standing in front of the largest house in the square...or the entire hamlet for that matter.

"Let's see if Old Murphy has woken up..." she uttered to herself, reaching out to the door to knock upon it.

MasterGhandalf
2013-09-28, 10:54 PM
Kyre watched the newcomer approach the constable warily, her eyes flickering from her, to the constable, to Urra, and back again. "Well, wolf," she murmured to Varka, "the plot appears to still be thickening, but even so, it doesn't feel right to let a murderer go free if I have a say in the matter. Feeling up for a bit of tracking- and maybe fighting after that?"

Tsumeken
2013-09-29, 03:41 AM
Tor arrives in the town square on her way to the mayor's abode. She sees the others as well as the guards talking. On a mission however, she proceeds straight to her destination, stopping just outside the door. A plaque next to the door read, 'Headman Murphy Goodchild,'

After explaining the situation to Trinity the constable and his men leave to make the morning rounds leaving the new formed group of crime stoppers to do as they please, and hopefully find more then he has about this strange event.

sunwukong
2013-09-29, 04:01 AM
Constable Gaskal seems reluctant to name any suspects, which leaves Urra with the default of searching for a corpse. It's not a murder 'less there's a body anyways, I suppose. He also neglects to provide information regarding something more important to Urra...

"Wait a minute, Constable. We haven't discussed the matter of payment. How much for finding the body, and how much for finding the killer? And how much if he's still alive?" Urra eyes the purse that Gaskal just received as bail from Jim, knowing that if the Constable receives such tributes on a regular basis, he must be capable of compensating her for her labors on his behalf.

When that issue has been settled, she turns to the silver-haired woman (who definitely seems intent on hanging around) and asks, "You from around here? Can you point me towards Sargoss?" The half-orc unintentionally butchers the name of the capital city, Sarhagost, having only heard it spoken for the first time a few minutes ago.

Tsumeken
2013-10-01, 05:55 AM
Gaskal turns back hearing the question from the Half-orc, "Of course you will be well compensated for your time, you may claim a 100 gold bounty I've put out for the fiend or fiends that committed this, as well as any spoils earned in their pursuit."

VirgoBushin
2013-10-01, 10:18 PM
Trinity Langton (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/virgo2005/DnD%20RPC%20Pics/FemaleWarrior39_zpsf354497f.jpg)

Taking in all the details from the Constable, Trinity gives a polite nod of her head before he leaves. For a while, she remained silent to contemplate on everything her ears had just heard, temporarily forgetting even that she was meant to ask the same people she was around to come visit Father Tobias. Her head shook no gently, making silver locks move from side to side. Later ... She insisted to herself once again, finally leaving her thoughts as the hybrid spoke up to her.

"On foot, about two weeks. On horse, a few days." Pausing for a few brief moments, Trinity nodded lightly to herself. "Sorry about my abrupt entry. But I was sent out by Father Tobias to ask for you and any other newcomers to meet up with him. However, as a protector along with priestess of sorts, my duty to the city comes before that to Tobias in this case."

It was a very rare exception, she knew. But Trinity also assumed Tobias would understand when the situation was told to him. It took a hell of a lot to make him genuinely infuriated, thankfully. It steadily dawned upon her that now would likely be the best time to speak up and properly give out her name. Another gentle nod of reassurance left before her head bowed slightly.

"I am Trinity Langton." Her head tilted slightly. As curious as she was in regards to how they had arrived here, she decided to wait. If anything, that was likely what Tobias wanted to know also and thus he could ask. She never truly forgot her place ... and right now, it wasn't to be as if she were seeming like an inquisitor of sorts. No, Trinity needed to be an assistant, a guide maybe even.

She then began to relay the details the Constable had given to her through her mind. Hm, how to go about this? She mused. If the constable wanted assistance looking for proof around town, that was easy enough albeit only in concept. The mere thought of anyone having missed evidence in a location like Bronce was honestly slightly odd. It wasn't overly huge and there weren't the most amounts of hiding places. So it should be easy enough but .... why did it feel like it'd be anything but that?

"Well ... since you have been informed of this possible murder mystery also, feel free to toss out any ideas you may or may not have then ... miss ... ??" The sound of her voice trailing off was to hint, if not kindly ask, for at least her first name or something to call her by.

sunwukong
2013-10-01, 11:26 PM
"Urra Barker. You said the priest sent you to look for us?" The half-orc's brow furrows in visible puzzlement, but she ignores that question for now and focuses on the job at hand: "So you want in on this bounty, huh? I suppose there's enough gold to go around, and I--we could use a local guide." She glances at Kyre as she speaks, waiting for the half-elf's input.

In response to Trinity's question about any plans for solving the mystery of the tax collector's disappearance, Urra says, "I was thinking of heading up the road, looking for the body. Maybe the man just had an accident or something. Probably not, but we should find the corpse first anyways."

Before coming to Bronce, Urra had been an exceedingly solitary individual. The events of the previous day, however, had forced her to consider the possibility that her fate is linked to that of others. "Uh...before we do that, though, there's a few others that I came into town with. I should check with them before I leave."

When the conversation with Trinity in the town square wraps up, Urra returns to the tavern, asks the innkeeper where the others went, and heads over to Old Murphy's house to find Tor.

VirgoBushin
2013-10-02, 03:53 AM

An affirmative nod left Trinity's head. "Yes. But that - as well as himself - can wait. I'm not really in it for the bounty part but more for Bronce's safety. The money is but a bonus, one that I won't push or beg for. But I'm not going to just idly stand by with a murderer on the loose either." Her gaze followed Urra's as she noted the half-elf. Taking a few moments to quietly study her, Trinity's gaze went back to the half-orc.

"I doubt it, also. If it were an accident, they likely would have been able to inform someone, assuming the injury wasn't too bad. Or if they weren't alone, they could have sent someone to go get help. And the fact he hasn't returned makes me think some form of foul play has happened."

Her head nodded as Urra mentioned going off to find the others. "By all means, go on. I'll await here for your return." Her gaze went down as she exhaled softly, gently holding her wrists behind her back. Steadily, her mind thought back ... and landed upon the moment she had been revealed - in a dream of all things - that she, too, was a Starborn. Even with all Tobias had done for her, she hadn't had it in her to tell him. She didn't want to bring any danger to the Church or Bronce by revealing she was one of the individuals currently being sought out.

And yet, it now seemed as if it didn't matter much anymore. Murder had never been much of an issue before now and yet, one may have very well happened. It bothered her, regardless of why it had happened. At the most, she could only hope for it not being connected with the connection to the Starborns. There were supposed to be others, or so she'd been hinted, but not whom they were.

.... Wait ... Her head turned in the direction the half-orc had walked off towards, an eyebrow slightly raising. This group ... are .... they .... ? It'd make sense in some degrees and explain a few things. Not many, but enough to make a start. Later, all the same. It'll all be revealed in due time ...

Her head turned back in front of her, still quietly mulling over the possibility that she may be with other Starborn. But on the off-chance that wasn't true .. it'd be foolish to reveal that information. So for now, she kept it to herself. The best opportunity to reveal such details would no doubt show itself. Until then, she'd continue to wait.

BananaPhone
2013-10-02, 11:18 AM
Tor En

Seeing no one immediately inside, the wizard moved deeper into the large house.

"Hello?" she uttered, her blue eyes squinting as she peered around the place for this mysterious "old murphy".