PDA

View Full Version : platinum flute

geekintheground
2013-09-07, 07:33 PM
my friend found an item called "platinum flute" a while back, and wants to play a bard but only if he can find it again. does anyone know what/where it is?

Deophaun
2013-09-07, 07:39 PM
Is it a flute that is just made of platinum? It's an art object of arbitrary value.

Or is it an actual magic item? What did it do?

geekintheground
2013-09-07, 07:45 PM
actual magic item.

if i remember correctly, it could change into any simple weapon as necessary as a free action (aka can't use to threaten, show off, etc), and could be any survival tool as necessary (fire starter, rope, wood axe,) if it could be held in a medium character's hands. Each weapon and tools that are able would count as platinum

i'm pretty sure it could be played 2/day to make antimagic zone, and could be played 2/day to boost an allied spell by 2 levels. Or something.

Deophaun
2013-09-07, 08:25 PM
Each weapon and tools that are able would count as platinum
That makes me think that, if it was an actual item, it would be in a Forgotten Realms supplement. I'd guess Magic of Faerun, but I can't find a mention of a flute there. So I'd say it's a custom magic item.

What I might do is start off with a mace for a base weapon (melee-usable rods use the stats and proficiencies for maces, and a weapon-like flute makes me think of a rod). Make it platinum as per MoF. Enhancement would be a +1 Morphing weapon (MIC). You would then want to add the effects (and cost; personally I wouldn't add the 50% customary markup for that ability, but that's just me being nice) of one of the various cloaks, hats, bags, etc. of random items and let it morph into anything that would be suitable to take from such an item. And that would be your basic multitool flute.

Darrin
2013-09-07, 09:52 PM
There's an exotic weapon in Secrets of Sarlona, a steel flute. Using the heavy weapons property from Magic of Faerun, you could make it out of platinum, and it would do more damage. As far as changing shapes... there's the Morphing property in MIC, which can change it into different weapons, but not equipment.

Invader
2013-09-07, 09:55 PM
There's an exotic weapon in Secrets of Sarlona, a steel flute. Using the heavy weapons property from Magic of Faerun, you could make it out of platinum, and it would do more damage. As far as changing shapes... there's the Morphing property in MIC, which can change it into different weapons, but not equipment.

That's the closest thing I could find as well. Are you sure this wasn't a weapon listed on dnd wiki?

White_Drake
2013-09-07, 11:55 PM
Could he be misremembering the magic platinum flute from those Piers Anthony books as having been from D&D?

geekintheground
2013-09-08, 12:50 AM
it probably wasnt a real thing, but i figured i'd ask. he decided to go with bard anyway. thanks for the answers guys!

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-08, 02:32 AM
There's an exotic weapon in Secrets of Sarlona, a steel flute.

I'm almost positive that it isn't an exotic weapon. :smallconfused:

Darrin
2013-09-08, 08:03 AM
I'm almost positive that it isn't an exotic weapon. :smallconfused:

You are correct. Steel flute is a simple light weapon, basically a club (with holes in it). Although making it out of platinum (per the heavy weapons rules in MoF) would make it exotic.