PDA

View Full Version : ideas for my troll knight

Beldernae
2013-09-07, 08:26 PM
so, i have a troll character in my families good campaign and i have chosen to multiclass in flare knight (homebrew, check d&d wiki for details), knight, and monk. he is fascinated by fire and i would like to find a good secondary prestige class. the first he will work with is reaping mauler, or maybe bloodhound, but i want something more fitting than bloodhound for my ubertank. :/ any advice or ideas, friends?

herrhauptmann
2013-09-07, 08:55 PM
Elemental Savant for more fire.
If you're doing Knight for tanking, isn't is usually advisable to stay Knight for as long as possible? For better challenges and whatnot?
I don't really see how bloodhound makes you a good tank. Reaping Mauler, I'd always been under the impression that it's a trap PrC, but maybe as a giant it's not so bad.

Urpriest
2013-09-07, 08:59 PM
Elemental Savant for more fire.
If you're doing Knight for tanking, isn't is usually advisable to stay Knight for as long as possible? For better challenges and whatnot?
I don't really see how bloodhound makes you a good tank. Reaping Mauler, I'd always been under the impression that it's a trap PrC, but maybe as a giant it's not so bad.

As a giant you can't even take Reaping Mauler, since it requires Clever Wrestling. Well, unless you go via Leviathan Hunter I suppose.

Troll is pretty high ECL, 11 base. You don't have a lot of levels to play with, and depending on how fast you level you may not get there for a while.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-08, 12:15 AM
As a giant you can't even take Reaping Mauler, since it requires Clever Wrestling. Well, unless you go via Leviathan Hunter I suppose.

I was wondering how he was getting Reaping Mauler since I remembered it as being not for large creatures. But when I checked, the prereqs didn't say anything about size. Never bothered to check the feats.

Maybe this is a gestalt game? That'll get the OP into PrC faster.

Beldernae
2013-09-09, 08:28 AM
as far as trolls go, the level adjustment says plus five, so it didnt take terribly long to get to class levels, its just triclassing that has been a pain. so far they have all paid off though. i was just looking for help for future PrCs for Feuerschlucker to go into. as far as reaping mauler go, i see no issue getting that one. i suppose i was thinking ahead to higher levels as he is only level fifteen so far, but since he has killed twelve seperate enemies that were each three levels higher on different occasions using only his butt, i figured reaping mauler only made sense. i don't know where to go after that though since there are only five levels to that PrC.
Also, any decent ideas to try and seek out a red dragon for my githyanki on a high seas campaign would be appreciated. :elan:

Octopus Jack
2013-09-09, 08:31 AM
as far as trolls go, the level adjustment says plus five, so it didnt take terribly long to get to class levels,

Remember that trolls also have 6 RHD of Giant so you effectively start at level 11 before you can take class levels.

I'll reiterate what people have already said and say stick with Knight if you want to be a tank or possibly look at Tome of Battle and be a crusader for a more lock down style tank. Either way you don't have an awful lot of room to play with so it'd be best to stick with one path to get the most out of it.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-09, 12:31 PM
You can't take reaping mauler without house rules.
The prereq feat requires you to be small/medium. Due to it being in CWar, you lose the feat in your natural shape, and therefore the prc goes too.

Find a way around Clever Wrestling.

Beldernae
2013-09-23, 02:41 PM
leviathan hunter. that is how to get to reaping mauler