PDA

View Full Version : 1st Ed Mindflayer PC

Lvl45DM!
2013-09-08, 04:07 AM
I don't know why but I'm jonesing to play an Illithid. Unfortunately I play 1st Ed and so we don't have those fancy schmancy Monster PC rules AFAIK. It's not so much the brain eating as the psionics Im just wondering if anyone would have an idea of how to balance so I can present it to my DM?

Premier
2013-09-08, 02:20 PM
I assume you mean 1st edition AD&D (and not 2nd ed. AD&D).

First, you'd have to check two things with your DM: One, does he actually want/allow monster PCs in general and Mind Flayers specifically in his game? For all we know, maybe he doesn't even want them for whatever he had in mind, and a creature which, according to the Monster Manual description, is "greatly evil and consider(s) the bulk of humanity (and its kin) as cattle to feed upon" is not exactly a character that fits into... well, pretty much any party other than some highly specific evil ones.

Two, if his answer to the previous is yes, does he actually use the psionics rules? Because if he doesn't, you'll have to go with the arcane version of the Mind Flayer - the Monstrous Manual for 2nd ed. AD&D has a description which should be trivial to back-port to 1st ed..

Assuming your DM is okay with the thing, consider the following:

- The monster version is 8+4 HD, but it's a highly powerful monster. An 8th level PC Mind Flayer should be comparable but weaker, since many of its abilities would be absolutely game breaking if imported wholesale.

- Perhaps do the following: d8 HP per level, attack as Cleric, weapon & armour restrictions, Saves and XP table as a Magic User. Limited to 8th level.

- If psionics are off the table, use the 2nd ed. version, but it's spell-like abilities should NOT be once-per-round, rather once or twice a day, excepting levitate. Similarly, its mind blast should have a limited use per day, depending on level. These abilities should not be available at 1st level; instead, it should aquire them (as well improve its AC) in a staggered manner, acquiring something new ever level or so, like the Monk.

Digitalelf
2013-09-08, 09:30 PM
With a quick search online, I came up with this (though it is for 2nd edition): http://reocities.com/Area51/Neptune/9851/illithid.pdf

Lvl45DM!
2013-09-08, 11:34 PM
I assume you mean 1st edition AD&D (and not 2nd ed. AD&D).

First, you'd have to check two things with your DM: One, does he actually want/allow monster PCs in general and Mind Flayers specifically in his game? For all we know, maybe he doesn't even want them for whatever he had in mind, and a creature which, according to the Monster Manual description, is "greatly evil and consider(s) the bulk of humanity (and its kin) as cattle to feed upon" is not exactly a character that fits into... well, pretty much any party other than some highly specific evil ones.

Two, if his answer to the previous is yes, does he actually use the psionics rules? Because if he doesn't, you'll have to go with the arcane version of the Mind Flayer - the Monstrous Manual for 2nd ed. AD&D has a description which should be trivial to back-port to 1st ed..

Assuming your DM is okay with the thing, consider the following:

- The monster version is 8+4 HD, but it's a highly powerful monster. An 8th level PC Mind Flayer should be comparable but weaker, since many of its abilities would be absolutely game breaking if imported wholesale.

- Perhaps do the following: d8 HP per level, attack as Cleric, weapon & armour restrictions, Saves and XP table as a Magic User. Limited to 8th level.

- If psionics are off the table, use the 2nd ed. version, but it's spell-like abilities should NOT be once-per-round, rather once or twice a day, excepting levitate. Similarly, its mind blast should have a limited use per day, depending on level. These abilities should not be available at 1st level; instead, it should aquire them (as well improve its AC) in a staggered manner, acquiring something new ever level or so, like the Monk.

I wanna present a balanced Mind Flayer before presenting to him at all. I can work a backstory that makes a neutral Mind Flayer (cursed to never eat brains or to experience the agony of anyone it eats or something.) d8 Hp seems high for what I've always pictured as a frail monster but the rest is pretty good thanks man. Mind Flayer Monk is a great idea but getting psionics instead of Monk skills. Sufficiently squishy but with enough power to not be as useless as a Monk at low levels.

With a quick search online, I came up with this (though it is for 2nd edition): http://reocities.com/Area51/Neptune/9851/illithid.pdf

Super duper frelling helpful. Thanks mate!

Though I feel like a strength penalty and slight dex bonus is in order as well, +1 dex -3 Str? to help balance out its powers. And I'm skipping the MR, if drow don't get it neither should my squidboy.

Straybow
2013-09-12, 02:22 PM
I would think the seriously borked 1st ed. psionics are the biggest problem. If your DM has a way of handling that (deleting psionics, workable homebrew, etc) and a way of handling the brain-eating, it is no different from running any other monster-as-PC.