PDA

View Full Version : craft alchemy/poisonmaking

Somensjev
2013-09-08, 04:22 AM
just a general question to the playground, since i've run out of ideas

what would you do with ranks in craft alchemy and near limitless gold pieces?

and how would you make your alchemy checks higher?

thanks in advance for any and all responses

SevTai
2013-09-10, 10:53 AM
Start my own drug crafting company and evolve it later on into a drug-centered cult :smallyuk: Free devilweed for everyone! Join up people!

It depends though, is it for a PC or NPC?
For a PC, if you already have infinite gold pieces you would buy anything you'd need, also avoiding the extremely time-consuming crafting process.
I would go for something like, start a research to find a new powerful alchemical substance, having lots of gold to back your needs and continue adventuring.

For a NPC, I guess I would go with making him a classic evil mastermind supplying numerous groups in a town(with poisons etc.) in order to achieve a goal or even his own amusement ~whatever suits you.
You can easily adapt the research for a new powerful substance as well.
Poison-making and alchemy are different crafting skills but I went with poisons because they fit better the 'evil' concept. And since you can use alchemy for poison crafting(with a -4) it's fine.

With 'alchemy checks' I assume you mean the total check for a crafting try/your alchemy skill.
* cpt.obvious: invest ranks in craft(alchemy) ~or even Skill Focus(Alchemy) feat(for NPC only)
* buy helpful (non)magical equipment (like an alchemist's lab for a +2 bonus)
* any INT boosting item
* have assistants help you in the crafting process(aid another)

unseenmage
2013-09-10, 02:36 PM
And since you can use alchemy for poison crafting(with a -4) it's fine.

Where is this stated exactly, I'm playing an Alchemist soon and I couldn't find the rule for reference. Though i found this idea all over the place.

For my, I'd either make Explosive Packs (EB:SoS) or Shapesand (Sa) or both.
In either case I'd find a way to use the Minor Servitor spell from Savage Species to make them into sentient, permanent animated objects and have them infiltrate castles and blow them up. :smallbiggrin:

(note: the Shapesand will need a Wis boost to shape themselves with any efficiency.)

SevTai
2013-09-11, 09:48 AM
Where is this stated exactly, I'm playing an Alchemist soon and I couldn't find the rule for reference. Though i found this idea all over the place.

In the Book of Vile Darkness, poisons section(p.45)

Using the Alchemy Skill: Characters with the Alchemy
skill can substitute it for Craft (poisonmaking), but doing so
imposes a –4 circumstance penalty on checks related to poisonmaking.

unseenmage
2013-09-11, 12:29 PM
In the Book of Vile Darkness, poisons section(p.45)

Well that kinda sucks. That means it's a 3.0 holdover and not necessarily applicable to 3.5 games. :smallfrown:

Captnq
2013-09-11, 01:02 PM
Well, I'd go Here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9053.msg183871#msg183871).

They you can get my handbook on poisons and weapons. The weapon handbook includes everything you could possibly made a weapon out of, including alchemy items you can use for ammunition. The poison handbook has everything you need to know about poisons.

Personally, I'd make bloodspikes with poison in them, then coat them with poison. Since I can throw them and they are ammunition, I'd make them masterwork, add assassination, virulant, toxic, and maybe explosive just to be rude.

SevTai
2013-09-11, 01:18 PM
Well that kinda sucks. That means it's a 3.0 holdover and not necessarily applicable to 3.5 games. :smallfrown:

Oh well, you are right. But I really don't see any reason why your DM wouldn't allow it. It's not like poisons are op for a PC with craft..