PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Guard

Topus
2013-09-08, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone. I just stumbled upon a wonderful illustration showing some mice in medieval dress. I discovered it relates to a series of comic books, Mouse Guard. I'd like to know if the story it's worth reading, as the illustrations really touched me, I found them stunningly beautiful, but i don't know about the storytelling. If the story is as beatiful as the drawing I'd sure buy the issues.
Has any of you read these comic books?
Thank you :)

here is an image, just to be clearer
http://www.mouseguard.net/wp-content/gallery/fall1152/fallhardcover.jpg

JoshL
2013-09-08, 10:58 AM
Yes! The story is fantastic! It's a pretty serious medieval story that doesn't get too caught up in the fact that they're mice (but doesn't ignore it either). Uses the concept completely and has some pretty mature story telling (and I mean that to say actually mature, not just comic book excessive sex and violence "mature") And, as you say, the art is beautiful. It's one of my favorite comics these days. There are some nice hardcover trades of the comic too...just beautiful books to own.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-08, 11:12 AM
Its also got an apparently very good, RPG, based on the burning wheel system. Won some awards, I think.

Fri
2013-09-08, 11:33 AM
Yes, both the comics and the rpg system are amazing. I highly recommend it. Better than Redwall, in my opinion.

For me, my definite mouse guard image, is this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Faris/mouse.jpg

Topus
2013-09-08, 11:44 AM
Sounds really appealing to me, mature story telling is always welcomed, but I would have also appreciated it written like a fable. What I really don't like it's extreme gore and violence just for the sake of it. I think I will give it a try.
Thank you :)

For me, my definite mouse guard image, is this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Faris/mouse.jpg
Yes it's amazing I really like the art style, epic and sweet at the same time.

Ravens_cry
2013-09-08, 11:58 AM
I've always wanted to try the RPG. There is something I've always liked about stories that are both small and epic. A somewhat similar world, though with protagonists even less humanoid are the moles of Dunctan Chronicles. Yes, moles. Aside from a system of writing,they don't seem to have much in the way of technology. Yet the stories feel as important to the characters as any save the world style plot.

erikun
2013-09-08, 03:05 PM
Yes, I would highly recommend reading them if you're interested. It is similar to Redwall, although while Redwall is more about feasts and clear good-vs-evil and retelling the same story repeatedly, Mouse Guard is much more about duty and danger and finding out a reason for fighting. As JoshL mentioned, it's a bit more of a mature theme, but by that I mean characters growing and changing and making important decisions in their life - not about violence/sex.

Right now, there's four different hardcover books of Mouse Guard out. Fall 1152, Winter 1152, Black Axe, and Legends of the Guard. The last one is a collection of stories rather than an ongoing story arc, as was in Fall 1152-Winter 1152.

And remember:
"It's not what you fight, but what you fight for."

GloatingSwine
2013-09-08, 03:17 PM
Hell yes.

Why are you still here? Go and buy Mouse Guard.

kpenguin
2013-09-08, 04:20 PM
"It's not what you fight, but what you fight for."

"A dangerous slogan indeed. It mattered not to Midnight what, or whom, he fought either. His ends justified his means."

Topus
2013-09-08, 04:27 PM
You have been quite convincing, particularly pointing out the mature writing, characters growth, the theme of duty and the theme of what you are fighting for. Plus, i really like mice, i found them funny, and easy to use as human substitutes and to bond with (Maus is a good example), and i can relate to them for many reasons. So it will be on my next fiction purchase list.

luciérnaga
2013-09-21, 06:50 AM
So it will be on my next fiction purchase list.

Good decision. :) I sold out a lot of my rpg collection in the last years, but mouseguard is definitely going to stay. I'm really in love with this scenario.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-09-21, 11:28 PM
Yes! Such an excellent series! Very much "small mice in a big, scary world". Now, I love the Redwall books as fun, swashbuckly action with some hum-dinger character moments, but Mouse Guard is good for totally other reasons.

And yes--I'm a big fan of the RPG, though be warned that it takes some learning, in terms of cultivating a good mentality to approach it by. But it's very good.