PDA

View Full Version : A game with female Mooks

Morithias
2013-09-08, 09:40 AM
Can someone give me an example of some of these? Cause I'm having a hell of a time finding a game that has "Nameless disposable enemy grunts" who are female.

It's really sad when the only example I think I've ever played is the female agent squads from Evil Genius.

Daremonai
2013-09-08, 09:46 AM
The Streets of Rage series has a couple, though they were rare.
And in Oblivion, bandits and necromancers had a fairly even gender split as I recall.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-09-08, 09:53 AM
All Elder Scrolls games I've played had mixed gender enemies.

Mass Effect had them too, but only among human enemies so the balance is shifted to male by the aliens (but sometimes almost completely to female thanks to Asari). Some other Bioware games were similar, Jade Empire and KotOR could be pretty balanced but again that was mainly with the human enemies.

The main reason you don't see many female enemies is because they'd take extra resources to make. So any game where there are already a lot of female models because the player character can choose their gender will then use those same models for the enemies because the enemies can share the budget with the NPCs and player character.

GolemsVoice
2013-09-08, 10:00 AM
Divinity II has mixed-gender mooks, all Diablo games have mooks of various levels of femininity, Half Life has the female spec-ops agents, WoW has all races as enemies in both male and female form,BioShock has femals (I've played the first two) and there's an entire female faction in Earth 2150. And that's just off the top of my head.

Traab
2013-09-08, 10:05 AM
The Streets of Rage series has a couple, though they were rare.
And in Oblivion, bandits and necromancers had a fairly even gender split as I recall.

The streets of rage girls were actually transvestites, so not sure if that still counts.

Ebon_Drake
2013-09-08, 10:19 AM
As I recall, the Deus Ex games have a fairly even gender balance in their mooks. Certainly Invisible War has a surprisingly high number of women soldiers.

The first Thief game had a vast majority of male mooks, but Thief 2 introduced a number of female guards.

All the Fallout games feature female mooks as well, although male mooks are much more common. In Fallout 2, IIRC the Enclave has a fairly even gender split - but they all wear power armour so the only way to tell is through dialogue and/or the "look" function.

Demolator
2013-09-08, 10:25 AM
Spider Man 3 has a gang entirely comprised of women. I think it's called Arsenic Candy.

Zevox
2013-09-08, 10:32 AM
I believe every entry in the Mass Effect series has those. So does Dragon Age 2, though I don't know if Origins did (most of the enemies there were Darkspawn or other monsters).

The Tales series tends to have female mooks mixed in among its human enemies, although most of the random enemies are monsters.

Actually, that's kind of what I'm noticing with a lot of the games in my collection as I glance over them here - most of them have far more monsters for random enemies than anything humanoid, which kinda makes the question largely moot for them.

Ebon_Drake
2013-09-08, 10:35 AM
The streets of rage girls were actually transvestites, so not sure if that still counts.

I know that happened to Final Fight, but I've not heard of Streets of Rage getting the same treatment?

In Final Fight's case it was down to potential censorship when the game was exported. Poison and Roxy were originally intended to be women, but Capcom were concerned that beating up women wouldn't go down well in the West so they just hand-waved it by saying they were really transvestites. Because beating up transvestites is so much more moral... and then they ended up getting cut from the initial US release anyway.

Gemini Lupus
2013-09-08, 10:37 AM
Final Fantasy IX had some female mooks, the humanoid enemies from Alexandria were all female. There may have been others, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

Starbuck_II
2013-09-08, 11:09 AM
Can someone give me an example of some of these? Cause I'm having a hell of a time finding a game that has "Nameless disposable enemy grunts" who are female.

It's really sad when the only example I think I've ever played is the female agent squads from Evil Genius.

Dead Rising has plenty of female zombies.

warty goblin
2013-09-08, 11:18 AM
The Sacred games have an even split of male/female enemies for all the human-looking races, so far as I can tell. Right up through the mini-bosses even, though I think the evil priests are always male*. The goblins/kobolds/orcs all sound male, but aside from a couple dialog lines in S2, there's nothing to indicate their actual sex beyond that.

*Nice to see one traditionally male job survive the recession unscathed.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-08, 11:27 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics, although even the random enemies technically get random names.

Tengu_temp
2013-09-08, 11:28 AM
Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics have a lot of female mooks among its human enemies. From monsters, some appear obviously male, some obviously female, and most can go either way.

Pokemon has lots of female trainers and random wild pokemon, if that counts.

Hawriel
2013-09-08, 11:29 AM
Dead Rising has plenty of female zombies.

Left 4 Dead had mix of male/female zombies to shoot through.

Saving on development or game resource time is a rather small reason, although logical, why there are not allot of female mooks/canon fodder in many types of games.

I would have to say that the majority of games that have mooks are rather violent, so the developer would not want to have female mooks to get slaughtered.

There are a lot of people who lack the capacity to see the difference between mooks in a game, and active violence towards woman.

Bioware and Bethesda have been the most consistent with having a more or less even mix of male/female mooks.

Xefas
2013-09-08, 11:36 AM
Final Fantasy IX had some female mooks, the humanoid enemies from Alexandria were all female. There may have been others, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

IIRC, LeBlanc's mooks from Final Fantasy X-2 were all female (and giant robot snakes with gatling gun faces; it was about a 50/50 split).

I believe that Final Fantasy Tactics had a split of male and female mooks as well.

edit: I haven't played Saints Row IV yet, but in III, female mooks were common, including the terrifying thunder-hammer wielding techno doom babes.

RagingKrikkit
2013-09-08, 12:01 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 has the FROG troops, although they arguably count as elite mooks.

Tengu_temp
2013-09-08, 12:49 PM
And let's not forget Touhou, a series of games where 99% of all the characters are female.

Kris Strife
2013-09-08, 12:51 PM
Dawn of War games have Eldar, some of which are female, and the Sisters of Battle, a primarily female faction.

Giggling Ghast
2013-09-08, 12:55 PM
I believe every entry in the Mass Effect series has those. So does Dragon Age 2, though I don't know if Origins did (most of the enemies there were Darkspawn or other monsters).

There were some female mooks in Origins. They tended to be mages more often than not.

Terraoblivion
2013-09-08, 01:04 PM
And let's not forget Touhou, a series of games where 99% of all the characters are female.
You're pretty generous with the men here. Only one definitely male character ever shows up in the games and that's a turtle who was only in the games nobody played. Only one other man even has speaking lines and that's only in a single supplementary work and he's a noncombatant shopkeeper.

Tengu_temp
2013-09-08, 01:08 PM
You're pretty generous with the men here. Only one definitely male character ever shows up in the games and that's a turtle who was only in the games nobody played. Only one other man even has speaking lines and that's only in a single supplementary work and he's a noncombatant shopkeeper.

There's also Unzan, who's a cloud, and Youki, who never shows up on screen. But yeah, I rounded down to the nearest percent.

Terraoblivion
2013-09-08, 01:26 PM
There's also Unzan, who's a cloud, and Youki, who never shows up on screen. But yeah, I rounded down to the nearest percent.

True, I forgot about Unzan. Mostly because I tend to think of him as an accessory to Ichirin. And there are a few men in background information. Youki, Myouren, Tsukuyomi, Mr. Kirisame and the Great Tengu spring to mind. And I believe that those five, Unzan, Genji and Rinnosuke are the total list of male characters even mentioned in Touhou. Out of a cast of well over a hundred.

Togath
2013-09-08, 01:41 PM

Most elder scrolls games have fairly mixxed gender mooks.

Triaxx
2013-09-08, 01:53 PM
I believe Alpha Centauri had a primarily female faction as well, if my memory doesn't fail me. With the exception of the Gangsters outside of New Reno, most of Fallout 2's enemy groups had at least one or two women in them.

Traab
2013-09-08, 01:55 PM
I know that happened to Final Fight, but I've not heard of Streets of Rage getting the same treatment?

In Final Fight's case it was down to potential censorship when the game was exported. Poison and Roxy were originally intended to be women, but Capcom were concerned that beating up women wouldn't go down well in the West so they just hand-waved it by saying they were really transvestites. Because beating up transvestites is so much more moral... and then they ended up getting cut from the initial US release anyway.

Ah thats the one, I always confuse those two titles. Oops.

Aolbain
2013-09-08, 02:47 PM
Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and NV, Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite.

Tengu_temp
2013-09-08, 02:48 PM
I believe Alpha Centauri had a primarily female faction as well, if my memory doesn't fail me.

Not really, just like there's no primarily male factions. There are Gaia's Stepdaughters, but that's just a name, and they're usually called Gaians anyway.

Although, since Alpha Centauri seems to take place in a very egalitarian future and all units are either gender-neutral soldiers in space suits or vehicles, I assume most armies are a roughly even split of men and women.

Giggling Ghast
2013-09-08, 03:49 PM
Ah yes, Bioshock (all versions) had them as well.

GloatingSwine
2013-09-08, 03:55 PM
I believe Alpha Centauri had a primarily female faction as well.

A number of AC factions have female leaders (Gaian, Spartan, Believers), but none of them are "primarily female".

Neon Knight
2013-09-08, 04:29 PM
Dawn of War games have Eldar, some of which are female, and the Sisters of Battle, a primarily female faction.

In addition, the Tau Fire Caste has female personnel (most famously Shadowsun), Dark Eldar are also egalitarian, Chaos is an equal opportunity employer, there are all female and mixed regiments in the Guard, and the Inquisition and Imperial Navy also employ females.

Necrons and Tyranids don't really have gender, making the only real sausage fests in 40K Space Marines and Orks (I wanna get stuck in with da boyz!). :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2013-09-08, 04:31 PM
I want to say there are female Dark Jedi or Sith Knights or whatever they're called in the Knights of the Old Republic games, but the truly generic masked Sith Troopers are all dudes as far as I can tell.

Except for the one on Taris you have to get drunk and steal the uniform of if you're playing a woman, interestingly.

Oh, Night Elves have a number of female generic units in Warcraft III. Their men tended to be spellcasters rather than warriors, if I recall correctly.

Tengu_temp
2013-09-08, 04:39 PM
Depends if you count turning into a bear and wrecking **** as spellcasting, but yes.

Xefas
2013-09-08, 05:04 PM
...Chaos is an equal opportunity employer...

Are they? The only female Chaos mook I know of is Cultist-chan.

Manticoran
2013-09-08, 05:10 PM
That would be because Space Mehreens are all male.

Castaras
2013-09-08, 05:11 PM
Saints Row the mooks you have assisting you are a mix of genders.

Neon Knight
2013-09-08, 05:14 PM
Are they? The only female Chaos mook I know of is Cultist-chan.

Examples in actual models and art are a little scarce, but the taint of the Warp and the Chaos Gods do not discriminate. Slaanesh has female daemons (and also daemons whose gender identity is difficult to pin down), and the Eldar call Slaanesh "She Who Thirsts."

Arguably, Chaos Marines are also the only ones capable of recruiting females, as warp-tainted/mutated gene seed/other weird creation methods that Traitor Warbands might use could in theory be capable of working with females, unlike the geneseed of loyalist Space Marines.

Demolator
2013-09-08, 05:21 PM
In Super Smash Bros, there are also wire frames/polygons of both genders.

Giggling Ghast
2013-09-08, 05:32 PM
Every single Double Dragon game had you beating up a mix of male and female mooks. The most common female enemy in the series is Linda Lash.

NeoVid
2013-09-08, 05:37 PM
Guild Wars 2. Half of the evil members of the PC races are ladies.

Starbuck_II
2013-09-08, 06:04 PM
Ooh, I forget Pokémon has both male and female mooks.

GloatingSwine
2013-09-08, 06:41 PM
Examples in actual models and art are a little scarce, but the taint of the Warp and the Chaos Gods do not discriminate. Slaanesh has female daemons (and also daemons whose gender identity is difficult to pin down), and the Eldar call Slaanesh "She Who Thirsts.".

Slaanesh is more like omnigendered. Any gender you can think of, and probably several you wish you couldn't.

NeoSeraphi
2013-09-09, 02:56 PM
Double Dragon Neon on XBL has plenty of female mooks like Linda and Roxy. There were slightly more males than females, but it has a nice mix of them including women who whip, teleport, throw grenades, throw fans and are ninjas.

Sylthia
2013-09-11, 01:08 PM
As said before, Tales and Elder Scrolls games have female mooks. Fire Emblems has the Pegasus Knights who are all female. Pokemon also has female trainers.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-09-12, 08:13 AM
In ADOM, there is a pretty good split on gender ratios.

Iruka
2013-09-12, 09:13 AM
The frontline fighters of the Shaikan faction from Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm are female.

Starbuck_II
2013-09-12, 10:25 AM
Did anyone mention Temple of Elemental Evil? Hobgoblin, humans, and goblins have male and female enemies for you.

RagingKrikkit
2013-09-12, 01:36 PM
Well, then why don't we bring up Dwarf Fortress? Everything in that game has a 50% chance of being female.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-09-12, 04:30 PM
Well, then why don't we bring up Dwarf Fortress? Everything in that game has a 50% chance of being female.

That is to say, everything that has a standard gender caste has a 50% chance to be female. Antmen are notably different as the workers and soldiers are sterile females (although the game treats them internally as genderless). While the drones and queens have the appropriate male and female genders.

otakuryoga
2013-09-12, 06:18 PM
been a while but i think Champions Online had fem mooks