PDA

View Full Version : Robocop Trailer

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-08, 09:50 AM
Well.....eh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8)

Eh is all I can say.

thompur
2013-09-08, 10:07 AM
Well said SD, well said.

Axolotl
2013-09-08, 10:20 AM
Eh is all I can say.I think that about sums it up.

Credit where it's due though, I didn't think they could out-bland the Total Recall remake.

Radar
2013-09-08, 11:10 AM
One of the problems with Robocop is, that the whole idea slowly stops being viable. Artificial limbs are already there and directing machines with your brain is also possible to a degree. As a society we treat people with various implants (pacemakers, internal hearing aids, insuline pumps, artificial eyes and hearts and aforementioned limbs) as people (not as some SF cyborgs) and those artificial add-ons and spare parts are more and more widespread, so the main dillema posed by the original movie (is Robocop still a human?) is less of an issue currently. They also resigned from making him officially dead, which dissolves the tension even further and poses a question, why he or his wife decided for the "treatment"?

On the other hand, aside from serious moral issues making a human fully controlled by a computer (as was the idea shown in the trailer) is more of hassle then it's worth, when you can have a fully functioning semi-autonomyous artificial drone which also would not need to be constrained by humanoid form and is easier to mass-produce.

As for the trailer itself: meh. It looks exactly like any other action movie trailer in the past few years.

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-08, 11:13 AM
Credit where it's due though, I didn't think they could out-bland the Total Recall remake.

Can I sig this?

Ramza00
2013-09-08, 02:08 PM
One of the problems with Robocop is, that the whole idea slowly stops being viable. Artificial limbs are already there and directing machines with your brain is also possible to a degree. As a society we treat people with various implants (pacemakers, internal hearing aids, insuline pumps, artificial eyes and hearts and aforementioned limbs) as people (not as some SF cyborgs) and those artificial add-ons and spare parts are more and more widespread, so the main dillema posed by the original movie (is Robocop still a human?) is less of an issue currently. They also resigned from making him officially dead, which dissolves the tension even further and poses a question, why he or his wife decided for the "treatment"?

On the other hand, aside from serious moral issues making a human fully controlled by a computer (as was the idea shown in the trailer) is more of hassle then it's worth, when you can have a fully functioning semi-autonomyous artificial drone which also would not need to be constrained by humanoid form and is easier to mass-produce.

As for the trailer itself: meh. It looks exactly like any other action movie trailer in the past few years.

I agree with with what you said for the most part but there is a subtle distinction I want to bring up. My impression of the trailer in the reboot they are trying to tell the public that this is a fully functional human but in reality he is controlled by the machine by his programming. Thus it is the allusion of control it is propaganda. Most likely they are going to do a political movie about real life drones and drones in human form. How much control do we really have over the drones? And the importance of humanity doing police work and the importance of humanity in distrubiating justice vs the mechanical villain more efficient drones the robo cop is going to fight in the end.

Axolotl
2013-09-08, 02:37 PM
Can I sig this?Absolutely, I'm serious at lest TR had some splashes of personality as well as putting Colin Farrell in front of a camera which is something I generally support.

Thinking about the trailer I seriously have to wonder how they think it's going to compete, not with the original but with the current crop of SF films like Elysium, Looper, Pacific Rim etc. I mean six or seven years ago I could understand putting out a trailer like this but now? It just looks rubbish compared to what's going on in the genre.

Seriously just compare it to the released clip for Gilliam's Zero Theorem, the latter tells us far less about the plot but makes the film look vastly more interesting.

Radar
2013-09-08, 02:44 PM
I agree with with what you said for the most part but there is a subtle distinction I want to bring up. My impression of the trailer in the reboot they are trying to tell the public that this is a fully functional human but in reality he is controlled by the machine by his programming. Thus it is the allusion of control it is propaganda. Most likely they are going to do a political movie about real life drones and drones in human form. How much control do we really have over the drones? And the importance of humanity doing police work and the importance of humanity in distrubiating justice vs the mechanical villain more efficient drones the robo cop is going to fight in the end.
You might be onto something. I'm not sure, if it's a subject suitable for a simple action movie, since the possible answers are quite complicated. If they do go with this theme, I'm pretty sure they will dumb it down beyond recognition and we will end up with a load of inedible political tripe.

Traab
2013-09-08, 02:44 PM
One of the bits of proof to the lack of caring has to be the 50 spam posts in the youtube comments about filling out forms and such for cash. Like every other post is spam for the same thing. But honestly? I will watch this.

Jade_Dragon
2013-09-08, 03:02 PM
Meh, hard to say if it'll be good. I might just wait for DVD to rent. Have to see what else is out at the time.

Kitten Champion
2013-09-08, 03:09 PM
Why do they want to make everything look so clean and antiseptic? Robocop should look like Looper, where the United States has been declining from a golden age of prosperity into class stratification and social deterioration. That grittiness mixed with futuristic cybernetics was supposed to make you feel uncomfortable... this just makes it look cool.

I also feel like I've seen the whole movie now.

Giggling Ghast
2013-09-08, 04:05 PM

But there's also "marketing" to be considered as a factor. Citizens might take exception to robots gunning down criminals in their streets. Even today, people cry foul over the use of drones in wars half a world away, although when said drone is being controlled by a human.

But people could buy into the notion that a cyborg is still human, even when that "human" amounts to a few meaty bits plugged into a machine. They could see that visor flip up and tell themselves "He's still a cop, but better!" You could market Robocop action figures, but nobody's going to want to hug an ED-209. (Even if he didn't shoot you to bloody bits.)

DigoDragon
2013-09-09, 07:00 AM
But honestly? I will watch this.

I might watch it as well since I'm a fan of the original movie and I would like to see this one be successful. I like how the new suit builds upon the the original design. A little sleeker, but with some of the same aesthetics like where his gun holster is (Nice touch that the gun folds up).

Yeah, remakes suffer in that the writers don't usually try hard to reinvent the wheel. Most movies in this catagory are just a repaint job. There are exceptions on occasion (I for one really enjoyed the remake of Willy Wonka).

supermonkeyjoe
2013-09-09, 07:10 AM
This is making me very reminiscent of the Total Recall (1990)>Total Recall(2012) reboot, it's going to be a lot shinier, have a lot more visually impressive set-pieces but strip out much of the ideas and themes that made the originals great (maybe the directors cut will add some of these back in, who knows)

I'll still probably go and see it, or at least rent the DVD because it can't be worse than RoboCop 3, can it?

Rater202
2013-09-09, 07:45 AM
This is making me very reminiscent of the Total Recall (1990)>Total Recall(2012) reboot, it's going to be a lot shinier, have a lot more visually impressive set-pieces but strip out much of the ideas and themes that made the originals great (maybe the directors cut will add some of these back in, who knows)

I'll still probably go and see it, or at least rent the DVD because it can't be worse than RoboCop 3, can it?

Hey, I liked RoboCop 3...

So, how much do ya anna bet that Omnicorp planted that car bomb, the same way that OCP intentionally sent cops to be killed n th original?

Raimun
2013-09-09, 11:16 AM
Why did they have to paint the armor black? The unpainted one looked way cooler and above all, like the one original Robocop had.

Also, it does seem that this time Robocop will be more human than machine. For some reason his right hand is unarmored (at least in some scenes) and the wikipedia entry claims that he won't die but will be only critically injured.

So, it's not a brain and nervous system transplanted to a mechanical body after clinical death (and with the face grafted to a metallic skull). I guess he'll be more like Vader? Only he still has his right arm.

I don't know about this movie. I guess it can't be as good as the first but it might still be better than 2 and 3?

Traab
2013-09-09, 12:06 PM
Why did they have to paint the armor black? The unpainted one looked way cooler and above all, like the one original Robocop had.

Also, it does seem that this time Robocop will be more human than machine. For some reason his right hand is unarmored (at least in some scenes) and the wikipedia entry claims that he won't die but will be only critically injured.

So, it's not a brain and nervous system transplanted to a mechanical body after clinical death (and with the face grafted to a metallic skull). I guess he'll be more like Vader? Only he still has his right arm.

I don't know about this movie. I guess it can't be as good as the first but it might still be better than 2 and 3?

From what I am gathering, he is a human who thinks he is a cyborg, but is supposed to be a robot pretending to be human, until he finds a way to override his programming thus making him human again.

Cikomyr
2013-09-09, 12:28 PM
From what I am gathering, he is a human who thinks he is a cyborg, but is supposed to be a robot pretending to be human, until he finds a way to override his programming thus making him human again.

I don't mind them taking liberties with the premise and the setting, really. It's fine. They aren't there to just put new sci-fi effects to the old story, but give a new spin to the tale.

I Watch the trailer only for ONE reason: visual stimuli. I can give you the 100% reassurance that the actual movie won't be actually following that silly trailer. When has a trailer actually reflected what a movie is about?

I like the new visual style. Black Robocop is a bit weird, but it's not like it's a experience-breaking thing. I like the new ED-209

Mordar
2013-09-09, 02:05 PM

In addition to this insight, there is also the internal-control question. Exactly how much are we as employees slaves to our corporations/bosses/jobs? We think we have self-determination, but do we? Did Murphy sign away his right to self implicitly or explicitly, by working for Omni?

This looks like it is "lampshaded" in the trailer, but even if it isn't...have you seen the trends with college and professional athletic uniforms and licensed apparel over the last 15 years or so? Everyone wants black gear, it seems, so even teams with historically light colors have a black uniform option, and caps/shirts/replica unis are all available in black. Basically...it is the "in" color, and the Keaton character kind of makes that point in the film.

- M

Kitten Champion
2013-09-09, 02:08 PM
I Watch the trailer only for ONE reason: visual stimuli. I can give you the 100% reassurance that the actual movie won't be actually following that silly trailer. When has a trailer actually reflected what a movie is about?

I think the movie industry is more and more interested in making movies which can easily be converted into effective trailer material now.

Prometheus stands out in my mind, a movie which might have been far better if they didn't need to stuff in those trailer-fuel moments.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-09-09, 02:13 PM
Why do they want to make everything look so clean and antiseptic? Robocop should look like Looper, where the United States has been declining from a golden age of prosperity into class stratification and social deterioration. That grittiness mixed with futuristic cybernetics was supposed to make you feel uncomfortable... this just makes it look cool.

I've never actually seen the original, but isn't it supposed to take place in Detroit? In which case...yeah, doubly so what you said. The entire tone of the movie sounds like it needs that gritty cyber feel.

Sunken Valley
2013-09-09, 04:22 PM
I would not buy that for even a dollar.

Giggling Ghast
2013-09-09, 04:26 PM
I've never actually seen the original, but isn't it supposed to take place in Detroit?

Yes, though much of the movie's plot has to do with re-developing Detroit into a futuristic utopia.

DigoDragon
2013-09-10, 07:11 AM

In the original movie, Robocop was more organic than just brain and nervous system. He still had something of a digestive system, though he was reduced to eating baby food because of the word 'something'. :smallsmile:

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-10, 07:24 AM
Yes, though much of the movie's plot has to do with re-developing Detroit into a futuristic utopia.

If I'm not very much mistaken, I get the impression that Detroit in the 80's, or whenever the thing was filmed, pretty much is a futuristic utopia compared to modern day Detroit.

Rater202
2013-09-10, 07:25 AM
In the original movie, Robocop was more organic than just brain and nervous system. He still had something of a digestive system, though he was reduced to eating baby food because of the word 'something'. :smallsmile:

I believe it was during the time he was literally crucified by gun fire, at several points he was shot in the abdomen. bullet scars in the stomach and intestines would probably limit you to a paste and or liquid diet, especially if the tissues had started to break down during the Time when Murphy was between "death" and "resurrection" as RoboCop.

you know, I think what the change from a" cyborg made with a dead man, who starts to get memories from his past life when he should be just a machine" to "cyborg made from a critically injured man, who has over rides creating the illusion of free will but over rides them himself with his human instinct and is still more or less the same person" is a bit of a more realistic approach.

Cikomyr
2013-09-10, 10:40 AM
I actually like the fact that Robocop now actually believes he has free will. I hope it`ll be hard as balls to overthrow that conditioning.

Jyrnn
2013-09-10, 11:28 AM

I only remember this because I watched Robocop again a few weeks ago, but in the originals the doctors did save one of his arms until the OCP manager swept in a demanded it be amputated because he wanted "full conversion" or something. Maybe because Murphy doesn't actually die he's not totally OCP property? Just completely dependent on OCP to live. (So effectively the same)

Anyway, I'll wait for another trailer til I pass complete judgement.

Hawriel
2013-09-11, 10:23 PM
I am going to quote myself from another web sight.

This trailer's SUX factor is over 6000.

I was thrilled to see Micheal Keaton in this movie. Then I saw the rest of the trailer. They completely missed the point about the character of Murphy, the mind set of OCP and the general themes of the movie.

Scowling Dragon, Rich Evens from Redlettermedia agrees with your assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE-YWGuOlas&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrTNhL_yO3tPTdQ5XgmmWjA

t209
2013-09-11, 11:05 PM
I am feeling that it will be either lighter and softer or preachy like Elysium (I remembered that some Omnicorp executives are quite decent in Robocop before the sequel ruined it).
Plus ED-209 was meant to parody auto companies' decision to focus on aesthetics instead of innovation during 1950s.
edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc
Now this will be better than the remake if it turned out to be dumb.

HalfTangible
2013-09-11, 11:17 PM

There's a point where he ends up in the silver one later in the trailer. I think it implies he switches between the two for different scenarios/tasks?

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-12, 12:04 AM
Scowling Dragon, Rich Evens from Redlettermedia agrees with your assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE-YWGuOlas&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrTNhL_yO3tPTdQ5XgmmWjA

Its actually DOUBLE funny, cause usualy his laugh is like an explosion of infectious fun. Hearing it makes me laugh so easily. But this dead silence is....just a commentary in it of itself.

I am feeling that it will be either lighter and softer or preachy like Elysium (I remembered that some Omnicorp executives are quite decent in Robocop before the sequel ruined it).

The guy in charge had real hopes for a better society and was shopping around ideas for how too solve the growing crime problem.

Thats what caused the bad guy too want to eliminate Robocops credibility so that more crazy clumsy robots went on the streets.

DigoDragon
2013-09-12, 07:04 AM
you know, I think what the change from a" cyborg made with a dead man, who starts to get memories from his past life when he should be just a machine" to "cyborg made from a critically injured man, who has over rides creating the illusion of free will but over rides them himself with his human instinct and is still more or less the same person" is a bit of a more realistic approach.

Yeah, that's how I reason it.

The eternal optimist in me hopes this movie works out. Perhaps it could do as the remake of Ocean's 11 did for the original; the first one was quite satirical and fun. The remake was more serious than its predesesor but still good with it's smooth criminal style.

There's a point where he ends up in the silver one later in the trailer. I think it implies he switches between the two for different scenarios/tasks?

Or maybe the suit changes during a turning point in in the character?

Mordar
2013-09-12, 02:04 PM

The eternal optimist in me hopes this movie works out. Perhaps it could do as the remake of Ocean's 11 did for the original; the first one was quite satirical and fun. The remake was more serious than its predesesor but still good with it's smooth criminal style.

Consider this...

Robocop, a story about corporate greed and dehumanizing executives, comes out in 1987...it is successful, but there is clear room for improvement. It has action as its heart, a clear mind to expose greed and commercialism, and it is reasonably successful. It tells the story of a good-hearted cop, Officer Murphy, trying to do his job and make Detroit safer for all citizens. Murphy is horribly wounded...in fact, nearly on to death, and is "parted out" to pave the way for Robocop, a sanitized, optimized product of a R&D division overseen by corporate executives interested only in lining their pockets at any cost. The spirit of Murphy is able to survive, though, and derails the Omni plans for replacing "substandard" human police with the soul-less, heartless Robo-drones.

Now, some 25 years later, we have the RoboCop reboot. Tearing apart the successful, though not blockbuster film, for purposes of greed and commercialism. The original is "parted out" to make way for a more optimized, profitable version that meets the needs not of those for whom it is meant, but those of the shareholders and board. Foisted upon the citizenry is a seemingly soul-less, heartless replica of the original a film developed not by artists, but by a committees from faceless conglomerate overseen by corporate executives interested only in lining their pockets at all costs.

RoboCop 2014 has become what Robocop 1987 railed against, and it is content that it has done so. Who now will rescue the citizenry of Detroit (and the rest of the world) from the new Omni (MGM, Columbia, et. al.)

Talk about (meta)irony...! :smallmad:

- M

PS: Of course, this is totally speculative based off a brief trailer and the spotty history of reboots...but I thought it was kinda (meta) irony, so I went with it...

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-12, 03:25 PM
Maybe it will continue too work on a double level and end up good. I doubt it.

KazilDarkeye
2013-09-13, 11:33 AM
One thing I definitely didn't see in the trailer (and one of the best things about the original in my opinion) was any sign of dark comedy. Granted, there may be some in the film. I hope so, because if there isn't, then it's another sign that the remake is just going to be generic action/sci-fi fodder.

I mean, even Robocop 2 had some very decent black comedy (like that bit at the start with a Robocop 2 prototype that takes off its helmet revealing just a screaming skull).

t209
2013-09-16, 07:02 PM
I mean, even Robocop 2 had some very decent black comedy (like that bit at the start with a Robocop 2 prototype that takes off its helmet revealing just a screaming skull).
In my opinion, it scared me than laugh :eek:.

Karoht
2013-09-18, 02:49 PM
I would not buy that for even a dollar.I tip my hat to your subtle reference.

My two cents on the whole thing.
1-Robocop was a popcorn film.
2-The original was hamstrung by lack of technology and therefore suffered from a massive budget for very little special effects. Remember the jetpack scene in Robocop 3? That could have been what an Iron Man film shot back then would have looked like.
3-The black looks like its a temporary thing. But the helmet bugs me. It's the angle of the visor, something about it makes it look more like a smile rather than a visor.
4-The theme of Robocop has been best described as "a man being turned into a product, and then rebelling." If this film manages to capture that (I think it will), and still have a solid personal struggle for Murphy and his family and the rest of the cops, then it might be watchable.

I still have high hopes but low expectations.

Also, Robocop 1-3 are on Netflix. 1 and 2 are both pretty watchable still, though they haven't aged well at all. 3 is... eh.

MLai
2013-09-18, 05:45 PM
3-The black looks like its a temporary thing. But the helmet bugs me. It's the angle of the visor, something about it makes it look more like a smile rather than a visor.
New Robocop doesn't look like a cop. He looks like an emo super sentai ranger.

Karoht
2013-09-19, 09:49 AM
New Robocop doesn't look like a cop. He looks like an emo super sentai ranger.
I propose that he never looked like a cop before either. No badge for one. In fact he barely looked like a crime fighter.
He looked like an alternate version of the Terminator.

I'm pretty sure the black look is just paint. After the inevitable betrayal, the paint will come off, mark my words. It won't be on for long. Maybe a pair of fight scenes, and some dialogue with his family, not much else.

Truthfully, the black suit makes him look like something out of metal gear rising revengance. He kind of looks like a bulkier version of Ryden but without the hair.

Traab
2013-09-19, 10:52 AM
I propose that he never looked like a cop before either. No badge for one. In fact he barely looked like a crime fighter.

I'm pretty sure the black look is just paint. After the inevitable betrayal, the paint will come off, mark my words. It won't be on for long. Maybe a pair of fight scenes, and some dialogue with his family, not much else.

Truthfully, the black suit makes him look like something out of metal gear rising revengance. He kind of looks like a bulkier version of Ryden but without the hair.
Im thinking much like in robocop 1, his sexy black suit will be heavily damaged during their inevitable betrayal of him and he switches back to the original suit because its intact more than anything.

Karoht
2013-09-19, 11:13 AM
Im thinking much like in robocop 1, his sexy black suit will be heavily damaged during their inevitable betrayal of him and he switches back to the original suit because its intact more than anything.Pretty much. And we all know that this film is probably going to follow the plotline of Robocop 1 to a degree.
Come to think of it, I'll bet you that ED-209 will be black. ED-209 will mangle him pretty good, kind of a "you aren't one of us". Robo will get repaired, and fight him in the shiney suit. Fallen Knight now reborn. Black Knight VS White Knight. Juxtaposition and all that jazz. Hollywood directors love throwing around these themes.

Hawriel
2013-09-19, 07:20 PM
Sorry I have to correct an error on the thread, a mistake that is being made all over the place.

It is not a suit.

Which, if it is in this remake, is another thing they got wrong. He is not a guy in a suit. He is a cyborg, a grafting of man and machine.

MLai
2013-09-20, 11:56 AM
Nope. Robocop looked like a robot cop. If he didn't to you, he did to me.
I sat there in the theatre, and not once did I think to myself "He doesn't look like no cop!" Maybe it's Peter Weller selling it well, but he was all cop.

This new design holds no cop aesthetics I've ever seen. Fact is, law enforcement uniform/gear aesthetics have not changed since 1987. So if Robocopy doesn't look like cop to me, it's because it doesn't look like cop, not because it's 2013. And it's not the black; real cops wear lot of black.

Karoht
2013-09-20, 12:00 PM
Sorry I have to correct an error on the thread, a mistake that is being made all over the place.

It is not a suit.

Which, if it is in this remake, is another thing they got wrong. He is not a guy in a suit. He is a cyborg, a grafting of man and machine.I completely agree and stand 100% corrected. I was merely perfering the vernacular of suit for use of the metaphor of black knight VS white knight.

In fact, that is actually another theme of robocop. How much man and how much machine is he.

The fight scenes at the end of Robocop 2 were like, the coolest thing ever when I was a kid. In spite of the fact that they used (really poor) claymation/puppetry to make it work. Honestly, if they ever remake Robocop 2 with non-terribad effects, I'm already a happy camper, never mind if they fix the bad subplots in the script.

Nope. Robocop looked like a robot cop. If he didn't to you, he did to me.
I sat there in the theatre, and not once did I think to myself "He doesn't look like no cop!" Maybe it's Peter Weller selling it well, but he was all cop.

This new design holds no cop aesthetics I've ever seen. Fact is, law enforcement uniform/gear aesthetics have not changed since 1987. So if Robocopy doesn't look like cop to me, it's because it doesn't look like cop, not because it's 2013. And it's not the black; real cops wear lot of black.Peter Weller sold the atmosphere of it, but visually speaking he didn't look like a cop.
The exception to this is when he's walking around in the infamous chemical plant scene, without the helmet. With a face visable, he seemed more like a cop to me.

Otherwise I am afraid I have to disagree regarding the cop aesthetics. There are very few visual differences between the old robocop body and the new one, beyond that he looks a bit taller and less wide. He doesn't look as heavy as before.

Actually, wait. I'm looking at two pictures side by side. The chest plate. The original does remind me more of cop body armor, like kevlar and such. The new one... doesn't. Even the shiney version, I think the angles are narrower, it looks a bit too sleek. And the black just makes all those narrow angles more accented and sleek. Not rugged enough.

I get it. I get how you wouldn't see this new guy as a cop. And now I can't unsee it. Dang.

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-21, 08:33 AM
Yeah its rated PG-13. I have more faith in us finding life on mars then this being good.

Rater202
2013-09-21, 08:43 AM
Yeah its rated PG-13. I have more faith in us finding life on mars then this being good.

We've already found Bacterial life on Mars...

Or was that Titan?

The point is, we found life on an other planet.

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-21, 09:17 AM
And I mean alive as in "Alive right now" life on mars.

MLai
2013-09-21, 05:52 PM
Or was that Titan?
Uhh... no we haven't.

Hawriel
2013-09-21, 06:27 PM

Or was that Titan?

Oh no we have not. IF that were true, the news would be so big my TV would turn on by itself and NASA might be getting a huge budget increase.

Rater202
2013-09-21, 06:31 PM
Oh no we have not. IF that were true, the news would be so big my TV would turn on by itself and NASA might be getting a huge budget increase.

I was mistaken. there is evidence of Bacterial life on Titan, which is one of Saturn's moons, but it's not conclusive.

And if it's true, it's bacteria. Germs.

Nobody gives a *yay* about germs on a moon. thus, no telivised news coverage. it's not interesting, and not even fox news can exaggerate it until it is.

Karoht
2013-09-23, 10:24 AM
Oh.
Snap.
Well, that right there is bad news for the film.

@Life on Titan
Source please?

DigoDragon
2013-09-23, 11:19 AM
One thing I definitely didn't see in the trailer (and one of the best things about the original in my opinion) was any sign of dark comedy.

I agree. Even the silly commercials of the original movie had a dark commentary if you looked under the hood.

Something I read that would make this remake weaker~
I read an article that the character of Officer Anne Lewis was removed. Thus there is no strong female lead to help Robocop grip with his internal struggle and external fight against the "corporate machine". I'm saddened if that's true, she was an awesome character.

Karoht
2013-09-23, 01:17 PM
I agree. Even the silly commercials of the original movie had a dark commentary if you looked under the hood.

I read an article that the character of Officer Anne Lewis was removed. Thus there is no strong female lead to help Robocop grip with his internal struggle and external fight against the "corporate machine". I'm saddened if that's true, she was an awesome character.

Unless they continue to have his wife and kid be central characters, unlike the original. But this assumes that his wife might be well written, which I would not expect given Hollywood.

Hey. I just noticed something.
Elysium
Guy in powered armor/cybernetic suit fights bad guys in unjust world.
Robocop
Guy in powered armor/cypernetic suit fights bad guys in unjust world.

Headcannon (unserious):
Robocop is a prequel for Elysium.

Scowling Dragon
2013-09-23, 08:53 PM
Strong character =/= Cop or action person.

That said however I am sad that Anne is removed. She was cool.

Traab
2013-09-24, 06:29 AM

Its true, officer lewis is a man, and said officer dies offscreen in like, the first few minutes of the movie.

amusementfilms
2013-09-27, 09:38 AM
I loved the original! This one is a "wait for cable" watch for me!