PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation and Attacks of Opportunity

Valanarch
2013-09-08, 10:14 AM
Does teleportation provoke attacks of opportunity?

NNescio
2013-09-08, 10:32 AM
Does teleportation provoke attacks of opportunity?

Depends on what ability was used to teleport. Spells provoke (unless you cast defensively), SLAs provoke (like say, a Balor's Greater Teleport SLA), supernatural abilities (e.g. Abrupt Jaunt) don't provoke, and neither do extraordinary abilities (e.g. Shadow Jaunt). Of course, there are exceptions to the above rules -- if an ability that doesn't normally provoke mentions that it does in its description or vice versa, then specific rules override general.

Using items to teleport generally don't provoke AoOs either. Notable exceptions include spell-completion items (i.e. scrolls). Using oils and potions also provoke, assuming there's a potion out there that can teleport you (which I doubt, but hey, you never know).

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-08, 10:48 AM
Also note, casting a quickened teleportation spell also does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Khedrac
2013-09-08, 11:59 AM
I think what the OP is asking is "does teleportation count as moving out of a threatened square?" To this the answer is "no, it is not movement in that sense."
The one can get into all the details of what is being used to enact the teleport (e.g. the spell Teleport) and does it provoke separately, to which the answer is "that depends..."

Pickford
2013-09-08, 12:25 PM
I think what the OP is asking is "does teleportation count as moving out of a threatened square?" To this the answer is "no, it is not movement in that sense."
The one can get into all the details of what is being used to enact the teleport (e.g. the spell Teleport) and does it provoke separately, to which the answer is "that depends..."

Best reference for this is on pg. 141 of the PHB, Table 8-2: Actions in Combat. This table details what actions provoke an attack of opportunity. Typically if whatever you are doing includes one of these actions, then it provokes, even if nothing in the action says it does.

"Standard Action
Cast a spell (1 standard action casting time) Yes"

"Free action
Cast a quickened spell (page 98) No"

Something important to note: If you are casting a spell as a full-round action (or longer) you provoke attacks of opportunity when you begin casting, however any attacks after you begin (before the end of the round) would require a concentration check to avoid losing the spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-08, 12:28 PM
I think you mean with 1 round casting, since baring AoO (which you can avoid relatively easily or readied actions I guess) you can't be attacked while casting a full round action spell.

Pickford
2013-09-08, 12:33 PM
I think you mean with 1 round casting, since baring AoO (which you can avoid relatively easily or readied actions I guess) you can't be attacked while casting a full round action spell.

Why do you think that would be? 1 round casting times mean you begin casting on your turn and finish casting on your next turn.

Presumably that's a lot of possible attacks from every other party to the combat in the meantime.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-08, 12:38 PM
Full round =/= 1 round casting.

Full round just means you use your whole actions for that turn (move+standard) to cast the spell, but it is resolved on your own turn. For example a sorcerer casting Empowered Orb of Fire

1 round casting is what you described, like a Sleep spell.

Greenish
2013-09-08, 12:38 PM
Why do you think that would be? 1 round casting times mean you begin casting on your turn and finish casting on your next turn.Full-round and 1 round are two different casting times.

Pickford
2013-09-08, 12:42 PM
Full-round and 1 round are two different casting times.

And a 1-round requires a full-round action according to page 143 of the 3.5 PHB.

edit: I was just relaying what is written in the book, if you have any issue with that, I can only suggest you write a strongly worded letter to wotc.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-08, 12:43 PM
And a 1-round requires a full-round action according to page 143 of the 3.5 PHB.

edit: I was just relaying what is written in the book, if you have any issue with that, I can only suggest you write a strongly worded letter to wotc.

The SRD also has this:

When you begin a spell that takes 1 round or longer to cast, you must continue the concentration from the current round to just before your turn in the next round (at least). If you lose concentration before the casting is complete, you lose the spell.

Greenish
2013-09-08, 12:53 PM
And a 1-round requires a full-round action according to page 143 of the 3.5 PHB.Yes, yes it does. That bears no relevance to the discussion, though.

Pickford
2013-09-08, 01:03 PM
The SRD also has this:

Yes...how does that in any way undermine what I was saying?

Greenish
2013-09-08, 01:13 PM
Yes...how does that in any way undermine what I was saying?Because just because a casting time of one round also eats a full-round action doesn't mean it's the same thing as casting time of full-round. See page 125 of Rules Compendium if you're still unclear on what we're trying to explain to you.

And if you have any issue with that, why, you can write that strongly worded letter to WotC. :smallamused:

Pickford
2013-09-08, 01:19 PM
Because just because a casting time of one round also eats a full-round action doesn't mean it's the same thing as casting time of full-round. See page 125 of Rules Compendium if you're still unclear on what we're trying to explain to you.

And if you have any issue with that, why, you can write that strongly worded letter to WotC. :smallamused:

1 round = full-round casting time + it takes the time from when you begin till your next turn. That's a full-round in both senses.

Greenish
2013-09-08, 01:23 PM
1 round = full-round casting time + it takes the time from when you begin till your next turn.Yes. Of course, there are also spells that only take a full-round action in the technical sense, and finish on the same round you started them, giving enemy no chance (except for AoO or readied action) to interrupt them, which are what Dusk Eclipse was referring to.

[Edit]: And that's why many prefer not referring to one round casting time as "full-round casting time", even though it's in a sense accurate.