PDA

View Full Version : Anima Mage - how to make binding checks?

Story
2013-09-08, 12:59 PM
How do Anima Mages make their binding checks? Say you have 12-13 CHA (Int and Con take precedence). With a standard Binder 1/Wizard 3/Anima Mage 2, you only have a 25% chance of being able to use Exploit Vestige at the level you first get it. Even if you buy an Implements of Binding +2, that's still only 35%.

Planar Touchstone -> CoE -> Cat/Luck Domain would give you a reroll you could use on this, but feats tend to be in short supply.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-08, 01:15 PM
wizard/binder optimizers generally don't care about making binding checks.

My personal favorite build is sorcerer 2/ binder 1/ anima mage x.

The first level must be sorcerer, and you need the feat precocious apprentice.

Snowbluff
2013-09-08, 01:19 PM
Everyone knows the best entry is Sorcerer one. Wizards have a harder times entering this way.

Warlock is another good 1 class entry, for the fun and flavor factor.

I wonder if the Circlet of Persuasion might help.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-08, 01:40 PM
Don't Anima Mages get their full level for the binding checks?

Segev
2013-09-08, 02:31 PM
Remember that failing your binding check only subjects you to the Vestige's influence; it doesn't restrict your ability to use its powers.

Psyren
2013-09-08, 02:36 PM

Yes, they do:

"Your anima mage and binder levels stack for the purpose of determining your bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of your vestige-granted abilities, your ability to bind higher-level vestiges, and the number of vestiges you can bind."

Story
2013-09-08, 03:15 PM

I already factored that in.

1 (CHA) + 3 (EBL) = 4, against a DC of 20.

Remember that failing your binding check only subjects you to the Vestige's influence; it doesn't restrict your ability to use its powers.

It does prevent you from using many of your Anima Mage powers though.

E
I wonder if the Circlet of Persuasion might help.

The big problem is that Binding Checks aren't skill checks as far as I can tell. In fact, they aren't a normal category of check at all, so there's probably nothing outside of ToM that even mentions them.

Cog
2013-09-08, 03:38 PM
It does prevent you from using many of your Anima Mage powers though.
Eh. There's Exploit Vestige, which gives you bonus spell slots, but as a theurge, extra spell slots aren't a huge deal; there's also Vestigial Awareness, which is just a minor initiative boost, and triggers automatically off any successful binding. Vestige Metamagic and Vestige Casting don't care about the quality of your binding as far as I see.

Segev
2013-09-09, 08:40 AM
The big problem is that Binding Checks aren't skill checks as far as I can tell. In fact, they aren't a normal category of check at all, so there's probably nothing outside of ToM that even mentions them.

They are, however, Charisma-based checks, which I believe the Circlet of Persuasion explicitly helps with.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-09, 08:50 AM
Nymph's Kiss, a feat from Book of Exalted deeds, gives a +2 circumstance bonus on "charisma-related checks". Unfortunately it is an exalted feat and therefore probably unavailable to you. You probably wouldn't want to spend a feat for a +2 bonus anyway. Although the bonus skill points are pretty nice.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-09, 01:35 PM
The Vestigewrack spell from (IIRC) near the end of the Anima Mage section gives a +2.

Story
2013-09-09, 01:58 PM
Good catch. I didn't notice it since it's not in a separate spells section like normal.

Chronos
2013-09-09, 02:53 PM
You can also just include a single easy vestige among your selection of vestiges, just for purposes of having one to exploit.

Story
2013-09-09, 04:46 PM
I was already assuming DC15, the minimum. (Well DC20 once you add the +5 from using Exploit Vestige)