View Full Version : Who here wishes they Remade the old D&D cartoon

johnswiftwood
2013-09-08, 02:08 PM
i can imagine the classes they'd have

Bobby the barbarian
Hank the ranger
Diana the monk
Shiela the rogue
eric the sword mage (it fits his character more then fighter)
and presto the sorcerer

it'd be great to see what the writers would do with them now that they can be more then the niches they fill in what tvtropes calls a five man band

plus D&D belongs to Hasbro the masters of remade series'

Ravens_cry
2013-09-08, 02:13 PM
I've said it before. Rather than making a 'D&D' spin off, they should make one based off one of the settings.
A Spelljammer cartoon would be awesome!

factotum
2013-09-08, 03:55 PM
Apart from a few monsters I don't recall the D&D cartoon actually having that much to do with D&D--I mean, a guy whose only weapon is a magic shield wouldn't make a lot of sense in a real campaign! Also, Hasbro had nothing to do with the cartoon--it was made *long* before TSR sold up to Wizards of the Coast, and even longer before Hasbro bought WotC out.

johnswiftwood
2013-09-08, 04:14 PM
Apart from a few monsters I don't recall the D&D cartoon actually having that much to do with D&D--I mean, a guy whose only weapon is a magic shield wouldn't make a lot of sense in a real campaign! Also, Hasbro had nothing to do with the cartoon--it was made *long* before TSR sold up to Wizards of the Coast, and even longer before Hasbro bought WotC out.

and yet the have a source book

Balain
2013-09-09, 01:56 AM
I would love to see a remake of the old D&D cartoon. I would be worried they lose something. A spinoff from one of the settings would be cool.

Ashtagon
2013-09-09, 05:56 AM
Take the original five characters, give them a more well-rounded selection of gear, and put them on a spell jamming ship. Instant one-shot cartoon format.

OverdrivePrime
2013-09-09, 11:34 AM
I'd love to see an entirely new one, with just the original characters mentioned as the parents of the new characters. Have the Dungeon Master mention the bold exploits of their parents, and wonder why in the nine hells he didn't give them more than one piece of equipment.

Leave Bobby and friends back in the real world and let the story and adventure pass to a new generation of heroes!

johnswiftwood
2013-09-10, 08:20 AM
I'd love to see an entirely new one, with just the original characters mentioned as the parents of the new characters. Have the Dungeon Master mention the bold exploits of their parents, and wonder why in the nine hells he didn't give them more than one piece of equipment.

Leave Bobby and friends back in the real world and let the story and adventure pass to a new generation of heroes!

that'd be interesting,though i think it'd be cooler to be a '__ years later' ordeal where they've matured a bit,and the show is a bit darker then hasbro's other shows,featuring implied character death(we're looking at you uni)and more direct fight scenes

OverdrivePrime
2013-09-10, 11:34 AM
...featuring implied character death(we're looking at you uni)and more direct fight scenes

Where do I sign!? :smallamused:

Dr. Gamera
2013-09-10, 12:34 PM
I am guessing that at least one person reading this thread is unaware that the script for Requiem, the unproduced final episode of the Dungeons & Dragons TV series, is available online:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxyb2d1bGw3MnxneDo3OGExYWM2 ZTMyOWVmODJl

johnswiftwood
2013-09-10, 01:30 PM
I am guessing that at least one person reading this thread is unaware that the script for Requiem, the unproduced final episode of the Dungeons & Dragons TV series, is available online:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxyb2d1bGw3MnxneDo3OGExYWM2 ZTMyOWVmODJl

this isn't a question of weather or not the show ended, it's that we want a sequel or a remake

Ashtagon
2013-09-10, 02:19 PM

Holy crap. I just realised - that cartoon is a realm in Ravenloft, and Venger is the prisoner for whom the realm is the cage.

t209
2013-09-11, 09:49 AM
How about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQmYF35w74)?

johnswiftwood
2013-09-11, 01:31 PM
How about this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQmYF35w74)?

1. it's skyrim,which sucks

2. it's not a real show

Jade_Dragon
2013-09-11, 05:35 PM
i can imagine the classes they'd have

Bobby the barbarian
Hank the ranger
Diana the monk
Shiela the rogue
eric the sword mage (it fits his character more then fighter)
and presto the sorcerer

it'd be great to see what the writers would do with them now that they can be more then the niches they fill in what tvtropes calls a five man band

plus D&D belongs to Hasbro the masters of remade series'

Silly johnswiftwood, they already remade that show.
They call id Adventure Time.:smallwink:

Kawaii Soldier
2013-09-11, 10:02 PM
Silly johnswiftwood, they already remade that show.
They call id Adventure Time.:smallwink:

Tee-hee! Good one! :D

Eonas
2013-09-15, 10:21 PM
I've said it before. Rather than making a 'D&D' spin off, they should make one based off one of the settings.
A Spelljammer cartoon would be awesome!

There's probably some anime loosely based off of that. :P

Knaight
2013-09-17, 02:12 AM
I've seen just enough of the old D&D cartoon to not want it back. Granted: I'm young enough to completely dodge the nostalgia appeal, but it seemed like a pretty lousy show with little going for it. It doesn't need a remake.

FrankLuke
2013-09-17, 08:59 AM
I used to watch that show over and over again. My parents forbade me to watch the final season, though. And now I'm a fantasy writer, who knew.

Anyway, I wouldn't watch a remake. I have nostalgia for the old series and have noticed recently that when I watch or read one of my old favorites, it never matches up to what I remember. A friend of mine summarized it this way, "Nostalgia is like grammar. Past perfect and present tense."

Eonas
2013-09-17, 01:21 PM
I used to watch that show over and over again. My parents forbade me to watch the final season, though. And now I'm a fantasy writer, who knew.

Anyway, I wouldn't watch a remake. I have nostalgia for the old series and have noticed recently that when I watch or read one of my old favorites, it never matches up to what I remember. A friend of mine summarized it this way, "Nostalgia is like grammar. Past perfect and present tense."

That is a brilliant, brilliant quote. I am so using that.