PDA

View Full Version : Why I use cheats in my first runthrough of single player games.

McDouggal
2013-09-08, 02:17 PM
If I buy a game that is exclusively single player, I DON'T CARE about how good the combat system is. If the story is a POS or a railroaded monstrosity (or worse, both), then the combat will not save it.

Interestingly, I view cheats in multiplayer as, well, cheats. There shouldn't be a place for them unless both sides agreed to it beforehand.

I will do the second playthrough (or second game if it's a series) without cheats.

Vitruviansquid
2013-09-08, 02:41 PM
Is this a response to another thread? Because you posted it as its own thread, just FYI

Emmerask
2013-09-08, 03:42 PM
If I buy a game that is exclusively single player, I DON'T CARE about how good the combat system is. If the story is a POS or a railroaded monstrosity (or worse, both), then the combat will not save it.

Interestingly, I view cheats in multiplayer as, well, cheats. There shouldn't be a place for them unless both sides agreed to it beforehand.

I will do the second playthrough (or second game if it's a series) without cheats.

Why even bother with a game then though?
If the story is not good and you dont care for the mechanics of the game... why play it at all? In most cases one does realize how good the game is story wise the first few hours... and games "which get better 80 hours in" are just not worth the time anyway.

So uhm I dont quite understand the reasoning, if your sole interest is the story then there is other media more suited to your needs, its called movies or books or play an rpg with some friends :smallwink:

factotum
2013-09-08, 04:01 PM
I don't quite see the logic here. How do you *know* the story is a POS on your first playthrough so you know how to cheat? Seems more likely you'd want to skip the boring bits on the second playthrough, since you know when they're coming up then!

Tengu_temp
2013-09-08, 04:09 PM
It feels to me like the OP is robbing himself of part of the experience - good gameplay and good story is so much better than just good story! But eh, if that's his choice, so be it. I just don't agree with it.

The_Snark
2013-09-08, 06:48 PM
It seems a little backwards to me. I would probably try playing the game normally the first time around, and if I can beat it that way, awesome. If the combat/puzzles/whatever turn out to be too hard, but the story is interesting enough that I want to finish the game anyway, I'd turn to cheats. (Or walkthroughs, or something. You get the idea.)

But hey, your choice.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-09-08, 07:21 PM
So... you've watched all the good TV shows already?

Demolator
2013-09-08, 07:44 PM
It seems a little backwards to me. I would probably try playing the game normally the first time around, and if I can beat it that way, awesome. If the combat/puzzles/whatever turn out to be too hard, but the story is interesting enough that I want to finish the game anyway, I'd turn to cheats. (Or walkthroughs, or something. You get the idea.)

But hey, your choice.

KH Re:CoM in a nutshell for me. :smalltongue: I could not handle those card battles for the life of me.

RagingKrikkit
2013-09-08, 11:26 PM

But hey, your choice.

Yeah, my philosophy on this over the years was that if I ever got hoplessly stuck, I'd look up a level skip cheat and keep the story going, then come back in a few years and mercilessly cream that level.

McDouggal
2013-09-09, 07:21 AM
Oops, wrong forum. Another forum I'm on has a similar colour scheme, so I didn't notice it until about now. (that forum currently has a metric <redacted>ton of argument over whether cheating in single player games is all right.)

To answer some of the points:

To me, first playthrough typically is 2 hours or less; enough time to get a feel for the controls and how well written the story is, but not enough time (typically) to spoil anything too major. It's usally done using a pregenned character, one who I haven't thought up a backstory for.

My second playthrough typically takes place with a character that I have a semi-extensive backstory (one that took me about an hour to write) and a decent idea of how he/she will respond to a situation. I will spend ungodly amounts of time customizing the look to get it juuuuust right. I do not cheat on the second playthrough or beyond.

RagingKrikkit
2013-09-09, 01:40 PM
Oops, wrong forum.

Added to signature.