PDA

View Full Version : Level adjustment?

Harlot
2013-09-08, 03:40 PM
Hello
I am again in need of aid. I am building a character based on the this (homebrew) class for a short D&D weekend with the boys: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dragonblooded_(3.5e_Class)

Problem is it is LA+2 and we're supposed to start at level 12 all of us.
So how do I go about the level adjusting? I frankly do not understand the explanations I've found here and there on how to do it, as they seem to assume that you start out on level 1 and play from there and then adjust XP etc during the campaign. But I start at 12 (ish)

Would the quick and dirty solution be to simply make it a level 10 character in order to be on the same level as the rest of the PC's or what? I'd rather not do that, as that would mean I'd lose Frightful presence (lvl. 11) and a breath weapon enhancement and Dragon skin +3.(lvl. 12)

Thanks for helping
/Harlot

Urpriest
2013-09-08, 03:44 PM
First, you should fix the link. Currently it doesn't work, though it's clear enough what it leads to.

Second, few to none of the guides you have read about level adjustment would have mentioned going from level 1, since that's generally not something you can do. So I expect you were misreading.

Third, I have a Monster Handbook (link in sig) that explains this sort of thing.

Fourth, classes don't have level adjustment, and as far as I can see Dragonblooded doesn't have an exception to this. Where is your LA +2 actually coming from?

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-08, 03:59 PM
A character with an Effective Character Level of 12 and a Level Adjustment of +2 has 10 class levels and the wealth and XP of a 12th level character. When everyone else reaches level 13, you'll get your 11th class level. And so on.

Razanir
2013-09-08, 04:30 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dragonblooded_(3.5e_Class)

One fixed link, hold the cheese.

Fourth, classes don't have level adjustment, and as far as I can see Dragonblooded doesn't have an exception to this. Where is your LA +2 actually coming from?

Bingo. Although given that it's dandwiki, I wouldn't have been too surprised to see something like that.

Harlot
2013-09-09, 03:20 AM
Sorry about the malfunctioning link.

This is an update of an old character, and I'd frankly forgotten why it had an LA+2, I just assumed it was in the template. Looking closer I realise that it's due to my having used the 'Winged' template from Savage Species when I created it, thus giving my creation wings from day one.
(cheesy + cheesy = FUN)
But thanks for clarifying, and thanks for that brilliant link Urpriest - just what I was looking for and couldn't find.

So as it gets wings at class level 9 anyways, it seems I can loose the LA+2 and this thread is moot.

Thank you all for helping.
/Harlot