PDA

View Full Version : Advice: SW Saga Edition (Its a D20 system Right?)

Noobborn
2013-09-08, 03:41 PM
Alright so myself and a few players want to do a Star Wars Saga Edition game. My GM has a few of the books but has never run a game of it before.

He is worried the mechanics of the game might be too different from say d20 modern or 3.P.

Is there many differences? He has the Force Unleashed Campaign Book, Along with the Clone Wars and the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Books. I think he has a total of 7 books he got off another friend when he bought all his books from him So he has a good selection He has the core book, Scum and Villainy and the Space ship one.

What should I tell him to reassure him it won't be a clusterf*ck and be at least a little fun?

Yora
2013-09-08, 03:49 PM
It is actually quite different, with completely different classes and magic, and different special items and enemies and so on.

There is a very active thread in the Other Games forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301788) where people frequently check in who know a lot about the game.
I'd ask the question there and they should give you a quite thourough summary.

Generally speaking, it's quite different from most d20 games, but I would say actually much easier to run with a lot less problems to run into.

Noobborn
2013-09-08, 03:56 PM
Thank You Very Much

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-08, 04:29 PM
By contrast, I would say that it's not much worse than going from 3.5 to Pathfinder-- the details (classes, feats, etc) are different, but the core engine-- d20s, races, classes, and feats-- is the same. I've seen it called one of the best 3e games out there, though-- think 3e using the best ideas from 4e.

There are a few minor things to watch out for-- Skill Focus (Use the Force) at low levels; armor becoming useless at high-- but it's waaaaay more balanced than 3.5.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-08, 09:42 PM
It is very similar to 3.5, but there are actually a lot of minor differences in the combat engine. Lack of a 5-foot step, easier Withdrawing, no more iterative attacks, easier fighting defensively, many fewer ways to provoke an Attack of Opportunity, the ability to take a Second Wind, the Condition Track and actions related to that, all diagonal movement costing two squares, and a lot more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.