PDA

View Full Version : Spell Storing Item infusion questions

unseenmage
2013-09-08, 07:48 PM
I'm looking into ways to use the Spell Storing Item (ECS114) infusion with a 6th level Artificer alchemist. For those who don't know the infusion takes 1 minute to cast and costs xp equal to the Spell level of the spell to be infused times the CL you're infusing it at, in addition you still have to pay the xp and expensive material costs for the infused spell.
One of the limiters I'm trying to adhere to is that to only burn xp for this infusion on spells that are either a) versatile and thematic for the character, or that b) create a permanent effect.

Useful Spells for the infusion so far:
- Crumble (SC56) infused into an Explosive Pack (EB:SoS138) allows an additional 6d8 damage to a large object. Cost: 24xp
- Beget Bogun (SC26) allows for as many to be made as desired at 26xp and one week each.
- Animate Dead is a redonculously useful option here. Too bad my goal is to be an alchemist and not a Hordificer.
- Energize Potion (BoED98) potions become bombs that deal 1d6 damage per spell level of the spell in the potion of an energy type chosen when you cast Energize Potion. At 2xp each this is a steal and it also gets my vote for most flavorful spell to use with this infusion ever.
- Earth Lock (SC75) and Sign of Sealing (CA122) are nice for the closing of ways to a dungeon campsite.
- Nature's Rampart, Soften Earth and Stone, and Stone Shape all modify terrain permanently and as such can be useful is a myriad of situations.
- Fake being a Cleric for one first level infusion slot, a casting time of one minute, and an xp cost of CL * Spell Level (which an ally can pay for via Talisman of Transference) many status ailments can be cured.
Useful spells include: Refreshment (BoED) Cures creatures of all nonlethal damage; Remove Addiction (BoED), Remove Blindness/Deafness (SRD), Remove Disease (SRD), Remove Nausea (SRD), Remove Paralysis (SRD), and Restoration (SRD).

A few questions:
- Am I reading Mage Hand (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mage_Hand) correctly in that I can point and direct an object to move within Mage Hand's Close range and THEN flick my finger to toss it an additional 15 feet. Or can I only Mage Hand objects within a 15 foot range? If the latter what good's the range entry on the spell?

- When using the Spell Storing Item infusion can the Artificer choose a lower CL than their Artificer level for the stored spell? For example, a 6th level Artificer uses the Spell Storing Item infusion to put Continual Flame (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Continual_Flame) into an unlit torch. Does the Artificer have to pay 6*2 xp or can the opt to put the spell in at CL1 and pay 1*2 xp instead?

- How many flasks of Acid (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Acid) would be gained from one casting of Water to Acid (St124)?
I'm looking for both the volume conversion answer and the RAW answer to this one.
I'm curious too how the price of a casting of Water to Acid, a use of the Spell Storing Item infusion for said spell, and the cost of using Craft Alchemy to just make acid by the dose compare. Is the difference negligible or not?

holywhippet
2013-09-08, 08:57 PM
The range for mage hand is how far away from you the hand can operate, the 15 feet bit is how far the hand can move an item as part of a move action.

For the acid, a cubic foot of water weight about 62 pounds. An acid flask weighs 1 pound although part of that would be the flask. By RAW, I'm not sure though.

unseenmage
2013-09-08, 09:31 PM
The range for mage hand is how far away from you the hand can operate, the 15 feet bit is how far the hand can move an item as part of a move action.

For the acid, a cubic foot of water weight about 62 pounds. An acid flask weighs 1 pound although part of that would be the flask. By RAW, I'm not sure though.

From the RAW Q&A thread.

A 275

The phrase "As a move action, you can propel the object as far as 15 feet in any direction" imposes a speed limit, not a range limit. In other words: With two move actions, you can telekinetically move an object 30 feet; with three move actions, you can move it 45 feet; and so on.

However, the description of the Mage Hand spell emphasizes its range limit: "the spell ends if the distance between you and the object ever exceeds the spell's range." I believe this means that all telekinetic movement must take place within Close range of you, the spellcaster. An object that you try to move outside this range cannot move except according to the force of gravity.

I am also confident that a speed of 15 feet per move action – which amounts to only five feet per second – is not fast enough to allow much horizontal movement by "flicking," even if a DM allows this maneuver, which would surely require a house rule, in my judgement.