PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some arc-boss ideas

Nettlekid
2013-09-08, 08:13 PM
To keep things short, I'd like some not-BBEG-but-still-formidable foes, sort of like Nale out of Order of the Stick (maybe as recurring, maybe not). The three arcs I plan to include are a "past" arc of the wild, populated by Killoren, a "present" arc of the mind, populated by Elan, and a "future" arc of steel, populated by Warforged. The only sort of arc-boss I can think of is for the Elan arc, because I've always wanted to incorporate what looks like a cult of many powerful Psions, but it turns out to be only a single Body Leech (perhaps with a couple of minions). But the two cliches for the Killoren and Warforged are "fight against urbanization" and "build up power to overthrow mortal masters" respectively, neither of which work because I intend for the civilizations to be a very isolated society. They may believe that other societies exist in the distance, but they've actually been cut off from the rest of the world, so there's no real interaction with outsiders.

So yeah, any ideas? An arc-boss for a wild natural world (perhaps something Barbarian and/or Druid-based), an arc-boss for a psychic world of flesh, and an arc-boss for an iron world of robots. I could probably use more than one arc-boss for each thing, so suggestions welcome. The build isn't as important as the actual idea and motivation for what this arc-boss is trying to do, but builds are always appreciated.

AspectOfNihil
2013-09-08, 09:45 PM
For the natural world, there is always the possibility of the blight druid type of killoren, one who, through his natural connections, believes that the natural world as it is is flawed, and the only way to achieve the greatest and most powerful state of nature is to rebuild from the ashes, sculpting the strongest creatures and toughest and least hospitable plants to form a sort of Nature orientated version of Übermensch.

He could be trying to gather together a circle of druids for a ritual of some flavour, in the meantime breeding and experimenting, creating strange and dangerous creatures and forging a cult of hunter-type rangers or warriors to shape the world post 'Renewal'.

This may be a bit cliche, but it gives you the chance to create entirely new creatures if you want, but still allows you to give the same flavour by simply templating existing ones.

Nettlekid
2013-09-08, 09:56 PM
That's actually a really good idea. Another thing I want to do with this setup is that the city is actually the same one taking place in three different eras that the PCs will be able to travel back and forth to. The whole thing is under a Phane's control, like a multi-target version of Stasis Touch that allows the trapped creatures to act even though years go by in seconds, because these creatures are ageless so it doesn't matter. I thought the three races was cool, but was having trouble figuring out if/why/how one civilization would decline and the next would rise, if all these ageless races won't die out. That arc-boss for the Killoren is a perfect way to destroy the Killoren civilization. What's more, perhaps to distance themselves from the natural world and the psycho Killoren, the sane ones undergo the ritual which transforms them into Elan (I know Elan are originally human-based, but it's not too much of a stretch when it comes to breaking down a creature's essence and rebuilding it into an Aberration to start with a Fey instead of a Humanoid.)

Alright, so I guess I'd like at least two arc-bosses for each time period. One that's just a general bad guy, and one that ends up destroying the civilization. This anti-Killoren serves as the latter for the Past, and the Body Leech I wanted serves as the former for the Present.

Tim Proctor
2013-09-08, 10:26 PM
I had two similar arc-bosses in a Campaign once, here are their stories.

1) Similar to your Killoren. This guy was a Druid devotee to the 'evil' god of nature it was a 'survival of the fittest', 'primal hunter' 'apex predator' type god (not necessarily evil). So the guy wasn't a normal druid and didn't have a problem destroying nature because the strong would survive, so creating violence was his preference. He did hate civilization because it was a crutch for the weak to survive and pollute the lineage. Mainly his big atrocity was releasing mutated creatures into civilized areas where they would just destroy all sorts of things. His character is below at the first level they encountered him, he was a recurring villain though an a mini-nemesis.

Nathan Essyx
Human, Male CR 13, CE;
Druid 5, Warshaper 5, Master of Many Forms 3
HD 13d8+39, HP: 104
Init +2;
Spd 40 ft;
AC 9+4(13) Flatfooted (13) Touch (9);
BAB +8/3;
SV Fort +14, Ref +6, Will +7;
Str 8(-1), Dex 8(-1), Con 16(+3), Int 18(+4), Wis 18(+4), Cha 8(-1).
Skills and Feats:
Balance 16-1(15), Concentration 16+3(19), Diplomacy 8-1(9), Disguise 16-1 (15), Hide 16-1 (15), Jump 16-1 (15), Knowledge (nature) 16+4 (20), Listen 16+2+4 (22), Spellcraft 16+4 (20), Spot 16+2 +4(22), Survival 16+4 (20), and Swim 16-1 (15).
Druidic Avenger Variant: Fast Movement, Rage 2/day, Wild Empathy at -4. Nature Sense, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Natures Lure, Wild Shape 6/day for 14 hours per, Morphic Immunity (no precision dmg). Morphic Weapons as a move action can create natural weapons, if that creature already has natural weapons +1 size category. Morphic Body +4 str, +4 Con. Morphic Healing: fast healing 2 + full found concentration (dc sustained dmg) heal 10. Multimorph can change morphed shape at will as a swift action. Improved Wild Shape – Humanoid, Giant, Monstrous Humanoid, Large. Shifter’s Speech. Endurance. Alertness. Improved Initiative. Steadfast Determination. Mad Foam Rager once per rage can delay an attack or spell for 1 round. Multiattack.
Essex has been permanently enhanced by the following as magical abilities, Darkvision, Greater Magic Fang, Resistance.
Equipment:

Mantle of the Beast, can wild shape as a swift action, +1 attack damage bonus counts while in wild shape.
Armor of the Beast, +1 studded leather, +1 wild shape per day, +1 druid level for determining wild shape, bonus counts while in wild shape.
Ring of the Beast, Summon Nature’s Ally as if the spell level higher
Druid’s Vestment +1 wild shape

Standard Routine: Essex is very rarely in human form except for 6 seconds every 14 hours; he is usually in were bear: human form, while looking like himself. If he feels threatened, he will change into a combat form and start creating natural weapons, he will enhance the natural weapons first and then build tentacles each round he can. He will change to the form that seems to be the most effective on combat, usually Pouncing onto the softest looking target as the Dire Lion and then into War Troll unless they are using acid. If he believes he will lose the battle or it is not worth his effort then he will transform into a Legendary Eagle and flee.

Spells:
0: Detect Magic x2, Create Water x2, Read Magic x2, Guidance
1: Summon Nature’s Ally I x3 (counts as Ally II), Goodberry, Cure Light Wounds
2: Bull’s Strength, Cats Grace, Summon Natures Ally II (counts as III)
3: Thorn Skin, Sleet Storm

Werebear; Human:
Medium Humanoid
Init: +4
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 14
BAB: 8/3 Grapple: +11
Full Attack: All weapons and primary tail with second attack at -5
Metamorphic Weapons 1 per movement action.
1. Tail: +11 1d8+4, +6 1d8+4
2. Bite: +9 1d6+2
3. Claws: +9 1d4+2 (up to 2)
4. Gore: +9 1d8+2
5. Tentacles 1d4+2 (up to 8)
Reach: 10ft
Additional Abilities: Scent
SV Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +7;

Legendary Eagle:
Small Animal
Init: +14
Speed: 20 ft / Fly 100ft
AC: 29 Touch: 21 Flat-Footed 19
BAB: 8/3 Grapple: +11
Full Attack: 2 Claws +12 1d6+4, Bite +10 1d8+2
Metamorphic Weapons 1 per movement action
1. Claws: +12 1d8+5 (up to 2)
2. Bite: +10 2d6+3
3. Tail: +10 1d6+3
4. Gore: +10 1d4+3
5. Tentacles 1d3+3 (up to 8)
Reach: 10ft
SV Fort +16, Ref +17, Will +8;
Str 19, Dex 30, Con 21

Dire Lion:
Large Animal
Init: +6
Speed: 50 ft
AC: 20 (10+5+4+2-1) Touch: 11 Flat-Footed: 18
BAB: 8/3 Grapple: +17
Full Attack: 2 Claws +17 1d6+9, Bite +15 1d8+5
Metamorphic Weapons 1 per Move Action
1. Claws: +15 1d8+9 (up to 4)
2. Bite: +17 2d6+5
3. Gore: +15 1d8+5
4. Tail: +15 1d8+5
5. Tentacles: +15 1d6+5 (up to 8)
Reach: 15ft
Additional Abilities: Pounce, Rake (2 claw attacks at -4), Improved Grab
SV Fort +15, Ref +14, Will +8;
Str 29 Dex 15 Con 21

War Troll
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Init: +7
Speed 40ft
AC 31 (10+5+3+14-1) Touch: 12 Flat Footed: 27; DR 5/Adamantine, Regeneration 8, Spell Resistance 20
BAB: 8/3 Grapple: +24
Full Attack: 2 Claws +21 1d8+13, Bite +19 1d6+7
Metamorphic Weapons 1 per Move Action
1. Claws: +21 2d6+13 (up to 2)
2. Bite: +19 2d6+7
3. Gore: +19 1d8+7
4. Tail: +19 1d8+7
5. Tentacles: +19 1d6+7 (up to 8)
Reach: 15ft
Additional Abilities: Dazing Blow (when his with a weapon or claw attack DC 25 fort of be dazed), Regeneration 9, Damage Reduction 5/adamantine, Scent, Spell Resistance 20, Natural Armor 14.
SV Fort +22, Ref +10, Will +14;
Str 35, Dex 16, Con 33

2) Similar to you Warforged. Was a 'living' spell turret that turned evil and wanted to destroy all natural life leaving only animated objects. Basically it would assume control and attach itself to a Golem or another object and fight, then flee if needed. I think you could easily alter a Warforged to have a similar concept, or have the living spell turret as the creator of the warforged in the area (I don't know a lot about the warforged story wise).

NACSOW, Nonorganic Animated Consciousness, Self-Operating Weapon

True Form: 5th Lvl Intelligent Spell Turret
HP: 200
Hardness: 10
AC: 7

Spells in Order
Dominate Person DC19 (used to make minions out of people)
Telekenisis DC19 (used to move itself around and other objects)
Cone of Cold DC 19 half, 9d6(used to kill people)
Teleport 900mi, (used to escape an area to a safe location)
Repair 4d8+20 dmg

Mission: Unknown

Wis 19
Int 19
Cha 10

Communicates through speech, and telepathy

Special Abilities
Darkvision, Blindsense, Hearing, True Seeing

Lesser Abilities
Detect Magic @ will
Hold Person DC 19 3/day
10 Ranks in Spellcraft
Locate Object 3/day

Major Abilities
Globe of Lesser Invulnerability 1/day
Detect Thoughts DC 19 @ will
Deeper Darkness 3/day

Dedicated Power:
Lightning Bolt DC 19 10d6
Animate Object
Permanency

Form # 1, Animated Object, Colossal
Size/Type: Colossal Construct
Hit Dice: 32d10+80 (156 out of 256 hp) DR 15/adamantine
Initiative: -3
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares); 20 ft. legs, 30 ft. multiple legs, 50 ft. wheels
Armor Class: 11 (-8 size, -3 Dex, +12 natural), touch -1, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +24/+49
Attack: Slam +25 melee (4d6+13)
Full Attack: Slam +25 melee (4d6+13)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft. (long) 30 ft./30 ft. (tall)
Special Attacks: SEE NACSOW SHEET
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; also see text
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 4, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 18d10+30 (129 hp)
Initiative: –1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (–1 size, –1 Dex, +22 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+28
Attack: Slam +23 melee (2d10+11)
Full Attack: 2 slams +23 melee (2d10+11)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 15/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 9, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or gang (2–4)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 19–24 HD (Large); 25–54 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —
This golem has a humanoid body made from iron. An iron golem can be fashioned in any manner, just like a stone golem (see below), although it almost always displays armor of some sort. Its features are much smoother than those of a stone golem. Iron golems sometimes carry a short sword in one hand. An iron golem is 12 feet tall and weighs about 5,000 pounds. An iron golem cannot speak or make any vocal noise, nor does it have any distinguishable odor. It moves with a ponderous but smooth gait. Each step causes the floor to tremble unless it is on a thick, solid foundation.
COMBAT

Breath Weapon (Su): 10-foot cube, cloud of poisonous gas lasting 1 round, free action once every 1d4+1 rounds; initial damage 1d4 Con, secondary damage 3d4 Con, Fortitude DC 19 negates. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Immunity to Magic (Ex): An iron golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.
A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an iron golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.
A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, an iron golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. An iron golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.
An iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Anyways I hope that helps, or at least gives some ideas.

Nettlekid
2013-09-08, 11:14 PM
Hmm, interesting suggestions. The "primal hunter" Druid is pretty cool, not unlike AspectOfNihil's suggestion. I could probably combine the two ideas. And I definitely like the Warshaper angle.
For the mid-arc-boss of the Past, if the final-arc-boss is this Druid, then I should probably have something quite non-Druidy for the variety. I was thinking Barbarian or anything that's kind of primal and uncultured. But I don't know what their motive would be.

I also like the spell turret thing. I was trying to think of some way to make a Warforged tyrant who's almost like an up-and-coming Lord of Blades who believes that the Warforged should hold up to their name; in being forged for war, they should pursue war, and so he could have generals of an army, one of whom might be a living spell trap. But I don't know how to make that plot plausible, since they've never seen a non-Warforged so there's no one to go to war with.

Tim Proctor
2013-09-08, 11:26 PM
Just go with a big templated beasty creature, something that just wants to 'eat' people.

As far as the storyline plot for the Warforged have it so their ancient texts and everything talk about an end battle and the Warforged are designed to fight that battle and once they find this other civilization they assume it is the end battle, and they are the enemy.