PDA

View Full Version : Fleshraker for Druid animal companion

M@XIM
2013-09-08, 08:20 PM
I've been trying to understand how the animal companion thing works. I was hoping for an example to further explain other explanations I've found.

Can someone give me the stats and info (hd feats etc for a level one animal companion Fleshraker? I have a an almost level 4 Druid and the group is unsure of how everything works out.

bekeleven
2013-09-08, 08:24 PM
A fleshraker is a -3 companion, right?

That would mean that when you hit level 4 you can take a fleshraker and it acts just like a level 1 companion for you. In other words, it's completely stock from the MM3 with the exception of Link, Share Spells and 1 bonus trick.

As you level, it would keep levelling as though you were a druid 3 levels lower than your actual level - like any other animal on the -3 list, e.g. ape, black bear, bison, boar, cheetah, etc.

M@XIM
2013-09-08, 08:53 PM
A fleshraker is a -3 companion, right?

That would mean that when you hit level 4 you can take a fleshraker and it acts just like a level 1 companion for you. In other words, it's completely stock from the MM3 with the exception of Link, Share Spells and 1 bonus trick.

As you level, it would keep levelling as though you were a druid 3 levels lower than your actual level - like any other animal on the -3 list, e.g. ape, black bear, bison, boar, cheetah, etc.

So this + link, Share Spells and a bonus trick which is what? Also, I was given the impression it could perform multiple attacks per turn. How does attack and full attack work?

Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+4 Dex, +6 natural), touch 14, fl at-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d6+3 and poison)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d6+3 plus poison) and bite
+1 melee (1d6+1) and tail +1 melee (1d6+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Leaping pounce, poison, rake 1d6+2
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Hide +12*, Jump +24
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (claw), Track
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pack (3–10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5–8 HD (Medium); 9–12 HD (Large)

bekeleven
2013-09-08, 09:26 PM
I think I took your question as "how does a fleshraker work as an animal companion" but what you are really asking is "how does a fleshraker work".

Like any monster, its attack patterns are explained in the stat block and detailed in the text following, under the "combat" heading. A Fleshraker's full attack is the attacks listed under "attack". A full attack is a full-round action to perform, meaning that a creature can not full attack and move in the same round. If moving and attacking, a creature generally uses a single attack, which is the stat listed under "attack" - the claw. However, fleshrakers have a special attack "Leaping Pounce", where they can make their full attack pattern at the end of a charge (including 1 rake, except that they cannot tail slap and bite an enemy in the same round), then get a free trip (if the enemy is their size or smaller), and if it succeeds they get a free grapple too. For reference, charging is a full round action where you move up to double your speed in a straight line, then at the end attack with a +2 to hit, but suffer a -2 to AC starting at the start of your charge and lasting until the start of your next action.

For further information about animal companions please refer to the druid class entry "The Druid's Animal Companion (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/druid.html)". Tricks are clarified further under the handle animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm) skill.

Invader
2013-09-08, 09:30 PM
That's why I love the playground. I have no idea how it works but it's hands down the best choice so I'm picking it! :smallamused:

bekeleven
2013-09-08, 09:40 PM
That's why I love the playground. I have no idea how it works but it's hands down the best choice so I'm picking it! :smallamused:
Ever since playing a fleshraker as a shifter, I've become rather disenchanted. Their grapple modifier is pretty pathetic, and the trip modifier isn't too great. The attack pattern and high AC are the only plusses, and it's great for casters or mook cleanup, but when we had boss monsters I did a lot of whiffing.

Bison is alternative for single powerful attacks as long as you don't care about AC, dire bat is good for a flying mount, and ape has +12 grapple. Other core animal companions are pretty strictly worse than the fleshraker, which - as I said - is pretty decent for its level.

Vortenger
2013-09-09, 04:21 PM
...is pretty decent for its level.

Ummm...the singular most powerful medium sized animal companion is...pretty decent?

I'm using one in one of my games de-venomed at level 4 and the DM says there's little point in the other players or me being involved in combat. Until level 5 we call it the Fluffy Show (the name of my wittle puddy-saur). We're looking forward to being relevent again in only 1500xp.

Admittedly, I used Natural Bond to neutralize the -3 penaly to AC progression and a 6HD AC at 4 is...a lot. But 2HD don't make or break the beastie. Its ridiculous at nearly any level. Also, warbeast training (MM2). Also, venomfire (though I don't advocate using that spell at any real table.)

M@XIM
2013-09-16, 11:01 AM
Can I get a description of how the poison part of the Fleshraker's attack works?

We used the Fleshraker for the first time and it went great, but nothing ever seemed to get poisoned with our understanding of how it works. Also is leaping pounce limited? like can only be used this many times?

Also the charge prerequisite. Does it just need to be in line with the target or is there more to it?

bekeleven
2013-09-16, 11:52 AM
how poison works (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison)

how charging works (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge)

aeauseth
2013-09-16, 02:12 PM
Also the charge prerequisite. Does it just need to be in line with the target or is there more to it?

Charge has specific rules, I suggest you review the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#Charge). In summary you need:

Straight Line
Move at least 10ft, but no more than twice your speed
Unobstructed (no difficult terrain, PC's, or other obstacles)
Closest space from which you can attack the opponent
Must have clear line of sight