PDA

View Full Version : Are these spells okay balance-wise? (D&D 3.5)

DarkSonic1337
2013-09-08, 08:26 PM
I had this idea for a custom line of spells the other day to help out people who depend on unarmed or natural attacks and I want to know what people think of it. I want some help refining them before I run them by my DM

Transfer Magical Ability
Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz/Druid/(insert gish spell list or whatever) lvl2
Components: V, S, F
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

You transfer one special ability of a magic weapon to one of the target's natural weapons. The strength of the ability transferred is limited to +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5) and for the duration of the spell, that weapon loses the magical ability. For example, a level 4 Wizard could transfer the flaming ability from a +1 flaming speed longsword to a Wolf's bite attack, but could not transfer the speed ability (this would require a level 12 Wizard). Only one ability may be transferred from the weapon. A single weapon may only be used for one casting of this spell at a time, and you cannot stack multiple castings of this spell onto the same natural weapon, even if the abilities transferred are different.

This spell also confers it's benefit to any unarmed attacks that the creature makes, as long as the creature is capable of inflicting lethal damage with unarmed attacks without penalty.

If a special ability is expressed as a price, treat it as the nearest +X ability equivalent, rounded up for the purpose of this spell. For example, transferring a 1g-2000g ability would be the same as transferring a +1 ability. A 2001g-8000g ability would be the same as transferring a +2. Abilities expressed as neither prices or +X equivalents cannot be transferred by this spell.

Focus: A weapon with at least one special ability. Cannot be a weapon enhanced as ammunition.

Transfer Magical Ability, (Greater)

Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz/Druid/(insert gish spell list or whatever) lvl4
Target: One living creature.

This spell functions like Transfer Magical Ability, except that multiple abilities can be transferred from the weapon. The total strength of the abilities transferred may not exceed +1 for every four caster levels (maximum +5). You may divide them amongst the creatures natural weapons however you wish. Alternatively, you can transfer one special ability from the weapon to all of the creature's natural weapons.

Unarmed strikes use the special abilities gained by one of the creature's natural weapons, chosen at the time of casting.

Since this spell otherwise functions as Transfer Magical Ability, you cannot use one weapon for both Transfer Magical Ability and Transfer Magical Ability (Greater).

Focus: A weapon with at least one special ability. Cannot be a weapon enhanced as ammunition.

Transfer Magical Ability (Superior)

Level: Sorc/Wiz/Druid/(insert gish spell list or whatever) lvl6
Target: One living creature.

This spell functions like Transfer Magical Ability, except that multiple abilities can be transferred from the weapon. The total strength of the abilities transferred cannot exceed +1 for every four caster levels (maximum +5) and they apply to all of the creature's natural weapons and unarmed attacks.

Since this spell otherwise functions as Transfer Magical Ability, you cannot use one weapon for both Transfer Magical Ability and Transfer Magical Ability (Superior).

So what do you guys think? Are these spells balanced for their respective levels? Is any of the wording confusing or redundant (and if so, what would you change it to)? I'm open to suggestions for flavor text on them as well if that's your thing, since...well I'm bad at flavor.

In addition, does anyone think the spells should be different levels on different lists (perhaps lower on the Ranger spell list for example)?

bekeleven
2013-09-08, 08:46 PM
1. Since math in D&D rounds down, a level 3 caster could actually only transfer 0 levels of bonus. This is one reason why so many spells specify a base effect then explicitly increase it for caster levels, like how magic missile specifies 1 + 1/2 CL past first. If it were a formula based on CL, then someone in a partial casting class would shoot 0. That type of thing.

2. You may want to explicitly specify the $-to-+ conversion rate. When you say nearest +X, are you including the entire weapon cost, are you including the mandatory +1, etc.?

3. Although this is sort of a beast claws/necklace of natural attacks situation, I find it amusing that a spell that seems geared towards natural attacks helps monks more. Just me I suppose.

4. The wording of the spell is technically possible to weasel around with, but anyone with half a brain understands what you meant.

5. Since it's only implied, I would specify that you can't use transfer magical ability to grab one power from a +50 sword then use greater transfer to grab the rest.

6. Is there anything to stop me from using transfer magical ability on multiple swords? I'm reminded of the hilarious shuriken builds...

7. Personally, I don't see these as cleric spells.

As to whether they're appropriately leveled, they look fine to me, but I don't play casters enough to be familiar.

Hanuman
2013-09-08, 08:57 PM
Perfectly fine.

Absorb the weapon into the body.

Make it arcane-only.

Only have it apply to one natural weapon maximum, so it doesn't get something like a psi-war natural weapon build.

Make it last minutes, not hours. You don't want it extended.

TuggyNE
2013-09-08, 09:01 PM
This seems pretty sound on the whole, although it might be a higher-level spell for Clerics, much less Druids.

One relatively minor point: technically, anyone can do lethal damage with an unarmed strike, but at a -4 penalty that stacks with non-proficiency (if applicable). So I'd suggest rewording that to "can do lethal damage without penalty" or similar.

DarkSonic1337
2013-09-08, 09:25 PM
1. Since math in D&D rounds down, a level 3 caster could actually only transfer 0 levels of bonus. This is one reason why so many spells specify a base effect then explicitly increase it for caster levels, like how magic missile specifies 1 + 1/2 CL past first. If it were a formula based on CL, then someone in a partial casting class would shoot 0. That type of thing.
Oops, that was just a typo sorry. I meant to type 4 and 12 respectively. Fixed now

2. You may want to explicitly specify the $-to-+ conversion rate. When you say nearest +X, are you including the entire weapon cost, are you including the mandatory +1, etc.?
What I meant is this.

Say you have an ability like prismatic burst which is listed as 30,000g, rather than as a +X ability. The closest equivalent in price (rounded up) would be +4 at 32,000g. So for the purpose of this spell, the prismatic burst ability would be treated as a +4 ability, and would require a level 16 caster to transfer it.

3. Although this is sort of a beast claws/necklace of natural attacks situation, I find it amusing that a spell that seems geared towards natural attacks helps monks more. Just me I suppose.
I noticed that too while making it, but decided to let it stay that way for simplicities sake. Besides, helping the guy fighting with his fists more than the guy wild shaped into a bear seems okay to me.:smallsmile:

4. The wording of the spell is technically possible to weasel around with, but anyone with half a brain understands what you meant.
Yeah I'm hopping that people with use RAI with homebrew material anyway. I'm not rules savvy enough to prevent people from finding loopholes with it.

5. Since it's only implied, I would specify that you can't use transfer magical ability to grab one power from a +50 sword then use greater transfer to grab the rest.
Noted

6. Is there anything to stop me from using transfer magical ability on multiple swords? I'm reminded of the hilarious shuriken builds...
Well, my intent was actually that you would be able to use multiple castings of this spell to transfer abilities from multiple weapons (not to the SAME natural weapon of course). I had completely forgot about the shuriken thing. Changing the focus component should fix this, but if it needs to be reworded let me know.

7. Personally, I don't see these as cleric spells.
Me neither actually. Will fix

Thanks for the feedback. I made some changes to the original post to implement your suggestions.